Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (39603 Views)

10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive / 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by iice(f): 1:29am On May 04, 2008
MC, i usually say knock on wood cheesy cheesy

If a butterfly suddenly appears inside your house - means someone you know will die
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by yemivictor: 1:28pm On May 06, 2008
iice:

MC, i usually say knock on wood cheesy cheesy

If a butterfly suddenly appears inside your house - means someone you know will die

It would have even been more believeable if it were a moth!

Butterflies are usually very colourful!! undecided
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 6:26pm On May 06, 2008
~Hmm have never heard of that superstition before iice,another one to add to the ones i already know!!

~@yemivictor i suppose your point is how cud something so beautiful bring death? undecided
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by iice(f): 5:26am On May 07, 2008
yemivictor, i don't know oooo why its butterfly. . .
Although it happened with my granddad. . .a butterfly suddenly appeared in my aunt's office and i was with her. She started getting tense, about after an hour, my other aunt called and was like my granddad had collapse and they are taking him to the hospital. . .he had a stroke
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by yemivictor: 10:43am On May 07, 2008
mohawkchic:

~Hmm have never heard of that superstition before iice,another one to add to the ones i already know!!

~@yemivictor i suppose your point is how cud something so beautiful bring death? undecided

Exactly! cry

iice:

yemivictor, i don't know oooo why its butterfly. . .
Although it happened with my granddad. . .a butterfly suddenly appeared in my aunt's office and i was with her. She started getting tense, about after an hour, my other aunt called and was like my granddad had collapse and they are taking him to the hospital. . .he had a stroke

I'd like to chalk that up under coincidence! grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by iice(f): 4:17pm On May 07, 2008
LOL, not coincidence. . .it has happened with an uncle too. . .
A superstitious belief man. . .doesn't have to be coincidence or plausable, isn't that the essence of this thread?
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by tRoOE(f): 5:52am On May 08, 2008
when you whistle at night you are inviting the snakes
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by yemivictor: 1:40pm On May 08, 2008
iice:

LOL, not coincidence. . .it has happened with an uncle too. . .
A superstitious belief man. . .doesn't have to be coincidence or plausable, isn't that the essence of this thread?

I hear you! cool
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by bunmii(f): 2:06pm On May 08, 2008
if you are in trouble with your teacher, just pluck one of your eyelid hair and make sure your teacher step on it - he/she will forget to punish you.

if it is raining and the sun is shining at the same time, it means a lion is given birth

if weed grows on the grave of a dead person , the person was evil / wicked.

pregnant women should not attend funerals

lots more i will be back when i remember
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by yemivictor: 2:12pm On May 08, 2008
bunmii:

if you are in trouble with your teacher, just pluck one of your eyelid hair and make sure your teacher step on it - he/she will forget to punish you.

if it is raining and the sun is shining at the same time, it means a lion is given birth

LOL!

Enough wicked people in the grave yards then! tongue
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 4:50pm On May 08, 2008
~ @ yemivictor you soo funny,lol cheesy

bunmii:

~Lol that takes a lot of effort!! Another new superstition for me,i find the Weed on graves one funny too!!
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by bunmii(f): 5:03pm On May 08, 2008
mohawkchic ------ i ve tried that plucking thing when i was in school lol a bit painful

yemivictor ----- yep lots of wicked people in the grave yard lol
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 2:02am On May 10, 2008
~Lol Bunmii i give you credit for even trying cheesy
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 8:05pm On Jun 19, 2008
~If A girl pounds into an empty morta,she'll be flat chested when she grows into a woman cheesy~
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by maedan(f): 2:05pm On Jun 21, 2008
A single woman should not sit on an upended mortar or she will be barren.

Don't wash up at night in a married woman's house or she won't have kids. Imagine.

Don't stir the pot with a knife, or people will lie against u.

Don't sleep with your feet propped against the wall. Witches will torment u for disturbing their gateway to their coven.

Abeg o, in Jesus' Name I don't believe in superstitions. But usually most of them our mamas told us were just to scare us out of bad habits. Like sweeping and whistling at night, like being careless with a mirror. Like lighting the gas with a broomstick( sed you'll get awful skin rashes) and on and on and on.

Thank God for Christianity. Most of us won't come out of our house.
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 5:37pm On Jun 21, 2008
Thank God for christianity. Most of us wont come out of our house.

~LOL maedan cheesy

~Your Post had new ones i havent heard!!
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by maedan(f): 6:28pm On Jun 27, 2008
mohawkchic:

~LOL maedan cheesy

~Your Post had new ones i havent heard!!

Heh heh

here's two more for the collection:

Don't wash clothes in the rain, the soapy water attracts lightening. (You'll get struck!)

And don't pour the washing up water down the toilet. (People will hate you!)

I'll have to call mum up and ask her of some more. She used to scare the crap out of us with them. lol
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 6:48pm On Jun 27, 2008
~Lol,Cant wait to read more of your Superstitious posts Maedan,Am intrigued by them!! wink
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by maedan(f): 11:53am On Jun 28, 2008
@mohawkchic

Mum's a dear,a true African mama, and thankfully all my siblings and I grew up stable despite all her efforts to frighten us with her antics wink wink

However, there's one thing she still does and I can't remember why

Anytime it rains, she runs around the house and covers up all the mirrors!
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 1:45am On Jun 29, 2008
~Aaaw Bless her smiley

~Noow you've got me Really Intrigued Maedan cheesy

~Cant wait to find out Y she covered the mirrors!!
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by maedan(f): 5:08pm On Jun 29, 2008
mohawkchic:

~Aaaw Bless her smiley

~Noow you've got me Really Intrigued Maedan cheesy

~Cant wait to find out Y she covered the mirrors!!

I'm actually afraid to call her up and ask, I may not like the answer! (might be scary!)

Just gimme some time to think up some more, it's been a while and some of these things are extinct bc we all did them, grew up and nothing happened. grin grin

Now I'm off to break more mirrors wink wink
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 8:09pm On Jun 29, 2008
~Kwel kwel grin

~Tell me about it!! If i so much as break a mirror,plate or glass the first thought that crosses my mind is "Oook now what"

~It still amazes me how everytime something happens that's got a superstious belief am like "Uh Oh"
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by huxley(m): 11:20am On Jul 07, 2008
In the community I grew up, there were such superstitions as;

- You should not clean the house at night
- That twins had psychic and telepathic powers
- That if you go on your knees and put your hand together, you could speak to someone called god.
- That you could eat the body and drink the blood of this god.
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by redsun(m): 9:49pm On Jul 07, 2008
If a chameleon in its camouflage bids changes to the color of your clothes,it means death is looming,i use to dread that,where ever i see a chameleon then,i always stay far clear.

I was an ardent believer of the itchy palms too,right palm,impending good omen,left palm,impending disaster,i still unconsciously tune in to that till this day,even when i've have lost my religion.

Growing up in africa,traditions and superstition kind of shape one's life and to a great extent it kept one on guard in as much as it could be mind blowing
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 2:35am On Jul 08, 2008
redsun:

If a chameleon in its camouflage bids changes to the color of your clothes,it means death is looming,i use to dread that,where ever i see a chameleon then,i always stay far clear.

I was an ardent believer of the itchy palms too,right palm,impending good omen,left palm,impending disaster,i still unconsciously tune in to that till this day,even when i've have lost my religion.

Growing up in africa,traditions and superstition kind of shape one's life and to a great extent it kept one on guard in as much as it could be mind blowing

~Quite True that!!

~The itchy palm and feet are my fav beliefs . . .am SoOo in tune with them it isnt even funny grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Udode(f): 10:35am On Jul 10, 2008
dont swallow the grains of fruit - it will make a tree grow on your head grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 7:49pm On Jul 22, 2008
~LMAO @ Tree growing on head  cheesy

~If you break the wishbone of a chicken with your pinky finger & the person still holding the end that resembles a tick,whatever their wishes,it will come true!!

~Usually two people put their pinky finger in each side of the wish bone then pull ,wish bone looks like this " ^ " & can be found at the base of the chicken's neck~
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 7:47pm On Nov 10, 2008
~If you stand up while eating,the food goes to your feet!! grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by JamaicanQT(f): 8:52pm On Nov 10, 2008
If a bird fly in the house a family member will die
Dreaming of fish means your pregnant
Dreaming of snake means an enemy is planning to harm you
If your palm itches mean you are about to get some money
If the bottom of your foot itches mean you'll be getting a new shoes
The falling of utensils on the floor foretells the coming of guests
It is bad luck to see a white cat at night
13 is a unlucky number
When going into you house after midnight always enter the house with you back turn, will keep out evil
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by JamaicanQT(f): 8:55pm On Nov 10, 2008
oh the most common caibbean one is that a woman should never put her handbag on the floor/ground as it make less prosperous
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by chika98: 9:31pm On Nov 10, 2008
Don't let an ugly person see a pregnant woman because the baby might turn out to be ugly. lol

reminds me of naija and this chic that wasn't attractive. they would always tell her to go and hide whenever a pregnant woman is passing by
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by JamaicanQT(f): 9:39pm On Nov 10, 2008
@ chika98

LMFAO grin grin grin grin THAT ONE IS FUNNY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

History Of Families In Lagos / Masquerade Wearing Lord’s Chosen Church’s Overalls in Anambra State / Ojora Of Lagos, Oba Fatai Aremu Marries A New Wife (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.