Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Marrying From Another Religion.. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marrying From Another Religion.. (694 Views)

Advice Your Parent Gave You About Marrying From Other Tribes / Marrying From An Extremely Poor Home. Can You Consider It? / Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marrying From Another Religion.. by tzetzefly(m): 4:59pm On Feb 20, 2013
Fellow forumites, how do you view this situation when a man / woman gets married to somebody, belonging to another religious belief. To what extent do you think this alliance can work..?
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by thorpido(m): 5:17pm On Feb 20, 2013
tzetzefly: Fellow forumites, how do you view this situation when a man / woman gets married to somebody, belonging to another religious belief. To what extent do you think this alliance can work..?
Some people have done it and they have been able to manage it.However,there are fundamental doctrines in each religion that marrying someone who does not believe what you believe complicates things.Moreover,leading the children the right way is difficult.

There are no two right ways.
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 20, 2013
I was a very good Moslem and young Alhaja even and I married a Christian ( pastor's son) and I'm practicing Christian now BUT never forgot my childhood doctrine, and apply few Islamic values in my immediate family for example no pork ( pastors son inclusive cool) and few more ..... go figure cool
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by baby124: 5:45pm On Feb 20, 2013
jidegirl12: I was a very good Moslem and young Alhaja even and I married a Christian ( pastor's son) and I'm practicing Christian now BUT never forgot my childhood doctrine, and apply few Islamic values in my immediate family for example no pork ( pastors son inclusive cool) and few more ..... go figure cool

You mean you dont eat bacon? This is why i couldnt marry a muslim. Everything tastes better with bacon shocked shocked shocked cheesy
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 20, 2013
baby_123:

You mean you dont eat bacon? This is why i couldnt marry a muslim. Everything tastes better with bacon shocked shocked shocked cheesy

Nope and hubby for over 16 yrs now grin and kids too( well..except pepperoni)
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by Geomac: 6:32pm On Feb 20, 2013
My Yoruba friend (Muslim) married a Yoruba Lady (Christian). He goes to Mosque while the wife goes to Church with the kids.
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by thorpido(m): 6:48pm On Feb 20, 2013
jidegirl12: I was a very good Moslem and young Alhaja even and I married a Christian ( pastor's son) and I'm practicing Christian now BUT never forgot my childhood doctrine, and apply few Islamic values in my immediate family for example no pork ( pastors son inclusive cool) and few more ..... go figure cool
At least you believe in Jesus.What if u didn't believe and didn't accept doctrines of Christianity especially the divinity of Jesus?
For me it's a house divided.
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by thorpido(m): 6:56pm On Feb 20, 2013
Geomac: My Yoruba friend (Muslim) married a Yoruba Lady (Christian). He goes to Mosque while the wife goes to Church with the kids.
I hope there won't be pressure on the wife at some point to change especially the kids.
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by jmoore(m): 7:05pm On Feb 20, 2013
for example Christian marries Muslim, where will the kids go to? Church or mosque? Love is not blind here, shine your eyes!!
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by Geomac: 7:15pm On Feb 20, 2013
thorpido: I hope there won't be pressure on the wife at some point to change especially the kids.

I have not noticed that because i see them everyday.They are happy always. The only thing is that, my friend told his wife before marriage that she should not tell him to change his religion and none of her church members should preach to him.
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by GboyegaD(m): 11:50pm On Feb 20, 2013
The major challenge I think this poses is that the children may not have a defined religion because on Friday they would use the Mosque as an excuse to go out and same thing on Sunday the Church.
Re: Marrying From Another Religion.. by greatgod2012(f): 12:13am On Feb 21, 2013
Hhhhhhmmmm, im a positive person, in everything, i try to focus on d positive side, but in this, well, as usual, may God help us all.

Its something i wont encourage, even though, there are so many who had practised it without any OBVIOUS prblems, but what about d HIDDEN ones and also, what is their %age.
As regards d children, who do children follow........division, it even baffles me, when i hear...."some follow me to church, while others follow my partner to mosque.....etc.
A very close friend of mine who is a xtian, married a muslim.....very wonderful man, i tell you, d wife continues to practise her religion, and d hubby too, with his religion, each time they have baby, d alfas perfoms d naming procedure, you need to see how she(my friend) will dress like someone who just came frm Mecca, what about during d Ramadan, she must wake up in d midnight at least to prepare food for her fasting hubby, and d most annoying part is d children part, they have only two boys, one claim he can never step a church, d other claim he can never step a mosque....see division.
I think, if one of d couple can sacrifice giving up his/her religion, just like what Jidegirl did, it will be better for d two of them, (and even on that, i was just contemplating opening a thread on it, i think its now necessary) but for couples to practise different religion, that i dont support.
Therefore, in MY opinion, inter-religious marriage need to be properly evaluated before going into one.
May God help us all.

(1) (Reply)

7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons About Women / Today Is World Widows Day-say A Prayer / Sons Vs Daughters – Who Cares More For Parents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.