Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,663 members, 7,823,879 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo (3464 Views)

Buhari May Spend One Term In Office, ‘president Already Has A Successor In Mind’ / Buhari's One-term Pledge Tears APC Leaders Apart / Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by horlatunde(m): 5:16pm On Feb 20, 2013
Obasanjo speech during the
campaign 2011 grand finale of
the Jonathan/ Namadi Sambo
ticket:
‘’Mr President, we are here because
we believe in what I call Nigerian
dream. Mr President, we from the
South West we were the first to
collectively stick out our head to say
this is the way, and what is the
way? ‘’The way of Goodluck
Jonathan for Nigeria. A Nigerian
dream entails collective aspiration,
collective hope, collective objective,
collective target and collective
fulfilment. It also entails our
communality. And what is our
communality in Nigeria? What is the
communality between me and my
brother from Sokoto? What is the
communality between me and even
my brother from Yenagoa? What is
the communality between me and
my brother from Maiduguri? What is
the communality between me and
my brother from Badagry, or even
from Ekiti? It is Nigerian identity.
Nigerian Identity! That is our
communality.
“If you say the communality is that
we belong to the human race, so do
the Europeans, so the Americans, so
the Asians. But we are one
communality, one identity, Nigerian
identity. If we have a common
identity, then we can have a
common Nigerian dream.
”For me, I see a Nigeria dream of land
of unity in diversity. For me, I see the
Nigerian dream in equal opportunities
for all Nigerians; land of freedom and
choices; land of prosperity, fairness,
peace and justice; land of love, care,
harmony among its people; land
respected internationally and playing
its rightful role within the comity of
nations and land where no one is
oppressed, discriminated against,
enslaved or disadvantaged.
‘’For instance, let me go to an element
of one of the aspects of the dream.
When I was a young man, leaving
secondary school, there was only one
university in Nigeria. The opportunity
for young men to go to university in
Nigeria was then limited. Today, there
are 117 universities in Nigeria,
expanded and enhanced
opportunities. We have to match that
with opportunity to access to
employment and to good living
standard. Your Excellencies, this I
believe is attainable and as a political
party, we in PDP have dreams.
“We have set about actualising our
Nigerian dream. You will see this in
the formation of PDP. The history of
the PDP speaks for its self. The
constitution of PDP, the manifesto of
our party and the performance of
our party so far. We have set our
hands on the plough and there is no
looking back for PDP.
‘’Drawing from our national
Constitution which upholds Federal
Character, we are the only political
party that enshrines Federal
Character in our Constitution
through zoning and rotation.
”And we should be proud of that. For
us and for the foreseeable future
that remains sacrosanct, I am an
apostle of Federal Character under
Murtala/Obasanjo administration and
I cannot now preach anything
different. The accident of history of
the recent past must be understood
for what it is, an unexpected
situation and PDP as a party has
addressed that issue.
‘’At the last meeting of BoT of our
party last Saturday, the issue was
tabled by the president as it was
raised by three distinguished
members of our party a day before
that BoT meeting with the President.
I was mandated to take up the
position of the party with the three
distinguished members of our party
who raised the issue. They are
General Ibrahim Babangida, General
Aliyu Muhammed and Alhaji
Abubakar Atiku.
“The following day, that was last
Sunday, I took up the matter with
General Ibrahim Babangida, who
expressed to me that the issue is not
the accident of history, but rather it
is the issue of perception in some
quarters that Federal Character,
zoning and rotation, as established
and practised by PDP, have been
jettisoned and permanently cancelled.
‘’I, on behalf of the BoT,
allay the fear and I promised a public
report while he briefs the other two
party members with whom we saw
the president on the eve of the BoT
meeting.
‘’What am I saying? What am saying
simply is that Federal Character,
zoning and rotation in our party is
alive and kicking. I personally see the
practice of Federal Character, zoning
and rotation of key political and
governmental positions and offices by
the PDP, if it will continue to be the
ruling party in Nigeria, I see that
position beyond my life time. It will
only happen when unity, stability
and democracy have been established
with full confidence and trust by
everybody in the system and within
the polity and among the participants
for factors of competence,
performance and track record to
become predominant. PDP should be
praised for being the only party that
enshrined Federal Character, zoning
and rotation in its constitution and
also practicing it.
‘’PDP has brought stability and
substantial predictability to the polity
and to the system. I do not know
who will be the President of Nigeria
after Dr. Goodluck Jonathan. That is
in the hand of God. But with the PDP
policy and practice, I can reasonably
guess from where in terms of section
of the country from where the
successor to President Goodluck
Jonathan will come and no internal
democracy or competition will be
hereby destroyed.
‘’The recent resort to sentiments and
emotions of religion and regionalism
is self-serving, unpatriotic and
mischievous to say the least. It is also
playing on dangerous emotive issues
that ignite uncontrollable passion and
can destabilise if not destroy our
country. It is oblivious of the
sacrifices others have made in the
past for unity stability and
democracy in Nigeria in giving out
their lives, shedding their blood and
in going to prison. I personally have
done two out of these three sacrifices
and I am ready to do the third if it
will serve the best interest of
Nigerian dream.
‘’Let me appeal to those who have
embarked on those dangerous roles to
desist from taking us on a perishable
journey. A common identity as
Nigerians there is more that binds us
than separate us.
‘’I am a Nigerian born a Yoruba man
and I am proud of those identities, as
they are for me complimentary. Our
duties, responsibilities and obligations
to our country and citizens and
indeed as leaders must go side by
side in our likes and demands. There
must be certain values and virtues
that would go concomitantly with
our dream.
‘’Thomas Payne said and I quote: “My
country is a world.” For me my
country I hold dear. On two occasions,
I have had the opportunity, thanks to
God and thanks to the people of
Nigeria, to work for my successors in
the government of Nigeria. On both
occasions, I never took the easy and
destabilising route of ethnic, regional
or religious consideration. Rather, I
took the enduring route of national,
uniting and stabilising route. I
worked for both President Shagari
and President Yar’Adua to succeed
me. Not just because they are
Muslims, northerners or Hausa/
Fulani, but because they could
strengthen the unity, stability and
democracy of Nigeria. We, of course,
with all the displeasure of ethnic
chauvinists, for doing what is right
for our country; that is in the nature
of the burden of leadership. A leader
must lead, no matter whose ox is
gored.
‘’In the present circumstance, let me
reiterate what I have said on a
number of occasions. Electing Dr
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan in his own
right and on its own merit, which is
there to be seen as the President of
Nigeria, will enhance and strengthen
our unity, stability and democracy
and it will lead us towards
achievement of the Nigerian dream.
‘’We are impressed with the report
that Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has
already taken a unique and
unprecedented step of declaring that
he would only want to be a one term
President. If so, whether he knows it
or not, that is a sacrifice and it is
statesmanly. Rather than vilify him
and pull him down, we, as a party,
should applaud and commend him
and Nigerians should reward and
venerate him. He has taken the first
good step. Let us encourage him to
take more good steps to achieve
what we need to achieve for this
country by voting for him in
landslide victory as the first elected
President of Nigeria on basis of our
common Nigerian identity and for the
purpose of actualising the Nigerian
dream. God bless you all.’’

dailypost.com.ng/2013/02/20/jonathan-agreed-to-be-one-term-president-obasanjo/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=jonathan-agreed-to-be-one-term-president-obasanjo
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by takedat(m): 5:42pm On Feb 20, 2013
PDP is the albatross of our democracy. If the constitution allows for the president to run a two 4 year term in office, why should a party's internal pact override the constitution? Its now a battle between a devious and desperate president against that of a sectional and self-serving ambitious party members, all treasury looters and none with the interest of Nigerians at heart!
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by gunuvi(m): 5:50pm On Feb 20, 2013
take dat: PDP is the albatross of our democracy. If the constitution allows for the president to run a two 4 year term in office, why should a party's internal pact override the constitution? Its now a game between a devious and desperate president against that of a sectional and self-serving ambitious party members, none with the interest of Nigerians at heart!
Every party in the world have their own internal arrangement that overrides the country's constitution.
Over to you GEJ! Where did u debunked the one term agreement in 2011 after OBJ made this statement cos I know you were there when Baba made this statement. At least this is not yesterday statement.
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by takedat(m): 5:55pm On Feb 20, 2013
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by takedat(m): 6:00pm On Feb 20, 2013
gunuvi:
Every party in the world have their own internal arrangement that overrides the country's constitution.
Over to you GEJ! Where did u debunked the one term agreement in 2011 after OBJ made this statement cos I know you were there when Baba made this statement. At least this is not yesterday statement.
Give examples of stable democracies where a party's internal arrangement overrode the constitution! What then is the need for a constitution which should be sacred when a gentlemanly agreement among a selected few can override it? This is not an attempt to exonerate a president whom obviously is not a man of his word!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Israelmossaic: 6:04pm On Feb 20, 2013
If the first step was regarded as unprecedented, and Obj asked nigerians to wait for the next one, why are we in a hurry. Must we force him to take the next step? When a man moves the first step correctly, there is every tendency that the second will follow suit. If he finally decides to run again, it will be for the interest fo the country
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by gunuvi(m): 6:15pm On Feb 20, 2013
take dat: Give examples of stable democracies where a party's internal arrangement overrode the constitution! What then is the need for a constitution which should be sacred when a gentlemanly agreement among a selected few can override it? This is not an attempt to exonerate a president whom obviously cannot be held to his word!
Well, it may not be visible to everyone but most parties around the world uses their party manifestos and internal agreement more often in their governance and its what's its in their manifestoes that determine how they operate and their priority.
You mention a party you know that doesn't respect their intenal arrangements. Even in the US. Are you aware that even in the US, it was before Obama second term election that most people already know that Clinton will not be returned as John Kerry has already been agreed months before. For instance, Fashola almost lost his second term in Lagos due to party mechanism and Tinubu not till dine minute.
Its a normal situation and I am not saying that GEJ should not contest what I am saying is if that's what they agreed in their party and he was part of it then he should keep his promise and agreement.
That's the problem with Nigeria and lots of democracy, people makes different promises including bogus ones of what they will do and later not keep to it, if you ask me, I will mention many that most of our leaders made and I don't even think they remember it again.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by dayokanu(m): 6:18pm On Feb 20, 2013
Over to you Retardeen and the 40 laptops
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by takedat(m): 6:29pm On Feb 20, 2013
gunuvi:
Well, it may not be visible to everyone but most parties around the world uses their party manifestos and internal agreement more often in their governance and its what's its in their manifestoes that determine how they operate and their priority.
You mention a party you know that doesn't respect their intenal arrangements. Even in the US. Are you aware that even in the US, it was before Obama second term election that most people already know that Clinton will not be returned as John Kerry has already been agreed months before. For instance, Fashola almost lost his second term in Lagos due to party mechanism and Tinubu not till dine minute.
Its a normal situation and I am not saying that GEJ should not contest what I am saying is if that's what they agreed in their party and he was part of it then he should keep his promise and agreement.
That's the problem with Nigeria and lots of democracy, people makes different promises including bogus ones of what they will do and later not keep to it, if you ask me, I will mention many that most of our leaders made and I don't even think they remember it again.
Yeah, I know the president is a weasel, schemer and a promise breaker but I am all for what the constitution says. Even if he decides not to keep to his earlier promise, there are lots of obstacles awaiting him before he will be re-elected!
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Tolexander: 6:58pm On Feb 20, 2013
the best thing is to honour an agreement either written or verbal.
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 20, 2013
Tony Bliar agreed to hand over power to Gordon Brown in an internal party arrangement and he did. There's nothing new about internal party arrangement in politics as long as it is not unconstitutional or illegal.
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Igwe9(m): 7:16pm On Feb 20, 2013
My own na regional government
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Built2last: 7:51pm On Feb 20, 2013
Whats on my mind now is so unprintable. I can only laugh in parenthesis.they know what they are doing.
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by fistonme(m): 9:02pm On Feb 20, 2013
take dat: Give examples of stable democracies where a party's internal arrangement overrode the constitution! What then is the need for a constitution which should be sacred when a gentlemanly agreement among a selected few can override it? This is not an attempt to exonerate a president whom obviously is not a man of his word!

Bro u are really getting things twisted. The bone of contemption is not the legality of whether jonathan can contest again or not. it is about the fact that if truely he agreed to such terms as regards their internal party issue then it is only right for him to give the chance to other members "in the party" to contest come 2015 in line with the agreement, Then he can then go to any other party he likes where he is not bound by such agreement and exercise is constitutional right. But u and i know he wouldnt and would rather choose to void the authenticity of such agreement(if truely made) using legallity as provided by the constitution, since he believe s he has a better chance of winning under the PDP platform.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 20, 2013
The argument by OBJ is an expansion of the language or design intent or jurisdiction of the Federal Character Act.

While Federal Character encourages that at any Given time Federal Government appointments or cabinet should reflect the diversity of our Nation. It does not in anyway suggest that those who can take part in National elections should be pre-determined and certain sections of the country should be excluded from the National election in the name of rotation as the later is itself illegal under law. The reality of this is demonstrated by Abubakar Rimi running against OBJ & Ekwwueme and Rochas Okorocha running against Yar'adua and Gusau.

I have respect for OBJ but his argument makes no sense I am sorry. Rules are rules. If he was sure that there was zoning, then Jonathan should not have contested the last election. If he has then he should be allowed to contest the next election according to the provisions of the constitution. OBJ needs to stop moving the goal post as he so pleases or making up the rules as he goes along. Zoning is dead forever. let Politics be played as it should.

PDP can defeat Jonathan in their primaries if they so please. It is doable.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by takedat(m): 9:54pm On Feb 20, 2013
fistonme:

Bro u are really getting things twisted. The bone of contemption is not the legality of whether jonathan can contest again or not. it is about the fact that if truely he agreed to such terms as regards their internal party issue then it is only right for him to give the chance to other members "in the party" to contest come 2015 in line with the agreement, Then he can then go to any other party he likes where he is not bound by such agreement and exercise is constitutional right. But u and i know he wouldnt and would rather choose to void the authenticity of such agreement(if truely made) using legallity as provided by the constitution, since he believe s he has a better chance of winning under the PDP platform.
I have not said he shouldn't honour the agreement, I only brought in the constitutional angle because I know he lacks moral integrity. You don't expect one whom honesty and trustworthiness are alien words, to comply with an agreement that is not legally binding!
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Nobody: 10:20pm On Feb 20, 2013
Atiku once claimed that OBJ agreed with him to run for just one term and finish his tenure in 2003. That obviously did not happen.

So I dont know whether OBJ is in a position to lecture anyone on keeping to gentlemen agreements

Even OBJ himself instituted a process to change the constitution of the Federal republic of Nigeria to grant himself a 3rd term a process which failed.

When that failed he single-handedly re-wrote the constitution of PDP so that only certain people like Ex-Presidents can now become chairman Board of trustees of the party a rule which made that position exclusive for folks like himself. A position which he obviously occupies in PDP.

So the question is, is OBJ in a position whatsoever to lecture anybody to obey rules? His ability to obey constitutions as-is is even suspect!

I am sorry on issues like these OBJ can not pretend to be a Statesman and this is responsible for the response he got from IBB. He cant keep making up the rules as he goes along. Zoning is dead!!!! Let all who want power work hard for it!!!!
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Demdem(m): 4:06pm On Mar 07, 2013
Good to know that Obj is aware of this.
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Abagworo(m): 3:38pm On Sep 05, 2013
Let us not be sentimental about issues and tackle them with both our conscience and with truth. My first thought is "what if Jonathan was an Igbo man?" . The answer is that the rest of the world would have screamed Igbos are greedy. Just give them a foot and they'll want a mile but fortunately for me he's not Igbo. I argued earlier in 2011 that Jonathan should leave PDP and contest under another party and if possible still rig himself in like they did with PDP. That way I would have seen him at least as an honorable man. 2ndly he would have performed better as he would be free from corruption associated with PDP and wouldn't owe any godfather.
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by ssii: 4:47pm On Sep 05, 2013
A man that can not honour an agreement can never be trusted. Idon't care if GEJ transforms Nigerians or not. He should be a man of his word. His unbridled lust to hold to power is not in our interest. I see a dictator who Will not to leave even after 2019. The ear
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 05, 2013
its just the same thing as a girl agreeing to phuck a guy she went to visit just once and after the phucking she still stays there and says the guy shouldn't phuck twice...for naija?...abegi
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by boniflex(m): 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2013
Post too long, comments too long..... Someone should pls summarize
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
gunuvi:

S.1(3) of 1999 constn as amended:
If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this constitution, this constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall to the extent of the inconsistency be void.

Oga where are you from? Nigeria? Which law are you talking about?
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Ngwakwe: 7:04pm On Sep 05, 2013
Why can't the new PDP and the opposition mobilise their camps and contest primary and general elections respectively against GEJ to ascertain the popularity of his policies by the voting class rather than trying to frustrate his administration and making the country chaotic for all of us?

If GEJ is defeated in a free and fair election, so be it.

Nigerians should not allow the murdering and setting aside of our already lame constitution for any alleged verbal agreement that serves sectional interest and perpetuates the status quo ante.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:08pm On Sep 05, 2013
horlatunde:
‘’....We are impressed with the report
President. If so, whether he knows it
or not, that is a sacrifice and it is
statesmanly. Rather than vilify him
and pull him down, we, as a party,
should applaud and commend him
and Nigerians should reward and
venerate him. He has taken the first
good step. Let us encourage him to
take more good steps to achieve
what we need to achieve for this
country by voting for him in
landslide victory as the first elected
President of Nigeria on basis of our
common Nigerian identity and for the
purpose of actualising the Nigerian
dream. God bless you all.’’

So GEJ wanted to be a one term president. Well he has a right to change his mind, abi?
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 05, 2013
Did late yaradua agree just 1 term ?

Things change

plans change !!
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Kanwulia: 9:13pm On Sep 05, 2013
I dey LAUGH OOOOOOOOH!!!
Once a TRAITOR, ALWAYS A TRAITOR!!!!! grin

More PDP SECRETS PLEASE!!!

Look at this ijjjjiot of an OBJoke who paid trillions for 'third term'? cheesy
I miss ABACHA I TELLYA!!!! cry
GEJ na reeeeeeal ODE!!!!! grin
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by nduchucks: 9:31pm On Sep 05, 2013
Ngwakwe:
If GEJ is defeated in a free and fair election, so be it.

Ask yourself why GEJ is willing to destroy his own party if that will allow him to avoid a free and fair primaries election contest?

It appears that not only does Emperor have no clothes, but folks like you continue to be blind and are unable to see his yansh in full glare.
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Ngwakwe: 11:40pm On Sep 05, 2013
GEJ is the leader of PDP in Nigeria, the earlier you accept it the better for all of you politicians.

GEJ should be termed irredeemable coward if he succumbs to pressure from the born to rule northern elites and gives-up his constitutional right to stand for second term.

Come 2016, Kano State population will be reduced to 4,000,999 or whatever actual population they have minus the cows and goats

ndu_chucks:

Ask yourself why GEJ is willing to destroy his own party if that will allow him to avoid a free and fair primaries election contest?

It appears that not only does Emperor have no clothes, but folks like you continue to be blind and are unable to see his yansh in full glare.
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by pazienza(m): 11:59pm On Sep 05, 2013
Akuko na egwu! Ife nwoke na-eme di ya na uche! GEJ silence in these conundrums is golden.
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by Kingspin(m): 12:00am On Sep 06, 2013
Total rubbish thread to support PDP fraction and make a cheap political point... If GEJ miss 2015,this abokis especially and their puppies bellies will be reduce over night by the time oil stop they will start eating yam.. We want a fraction where North and South South would exchange visa not cabals selfish..
Re: Jonathan Agreed To Be One-term President – Obasanjo by 3ace(m): 9:00am On Sep 06, 2013
‘’We are impressed with the report
President.
The truth of the matter is that Jonathan doesn't want to go for a second term but he's under immense pressure to stay put considering the fact that this is South south's first taste of power since independence. And even if he changes his mind, I don't see anything wrong in it. Being "maradonic" is a common traits with politicians. Even OBJ has done something like this before. His own third term agenda was criminal and callous. Thank God he didn't succeed. As for me, those aggrieved parties should exercise patience and let him contest. If he wins, goodluck to him; if he doesn't then another person steers the wheel of power. 2019 should not be a long time for this bunch of selfish mörons who can also renege from any agreement as long as the constitution allows it.

(1) (Reply)

FG Vows To Protect Nigeria’s Languages / Leaked: Ekiti Election Rigging Strategy Involving Obanikoro, Fayose, Chris Uba / Biafra: Awolowo, Murtala Muhammad Were Murderers Not Heroes - Kemi Olunloyo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.