Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,505 members, 7,819,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? (2755 Views)

Arms Deal: Why We’ve Not Invited Jonathan – EFCC Boss / Obasanjo Not Involved In Any Serious Road Traffic Crash - FRSC / World Leaders May Ban Jonathan From G8 Summit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Constantin: 10:50am On May 04, 2006
I have read this morning in the papers that Obasanjo is not invited to the forthcoming G8 summit in Russia while South Africa´s president is invited. Obasanjo has always been invited to the G8 summits and suddenly the inviation has been turned down. Is it because of Chinese interest in Nigeria ? What is behind this? It is really a bit strange. How can South Africa be more important than Nigeria? No Chinese president ever visited South africa, is obo´s non-invitation a sign that Nigeria becomes a "no-go area" for the so-called rich nations? Please help me understand it, Thanks
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by whiteroses(f): 11:27am On May 04, 2006
you are not jealous of south africans are you? i understand that obj's invitation is usuall that means there's got to be a reason why he's not invited maybe they think he's not the only press in africa or maybe they are sick of his ideas or maybe not
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Zahymaka(m): 2:32pm On May 04, 2006
That Third Term agenda is stretching things.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Nobody: 2:56pm On May 04, 2006
1. Third term impasse
2. Corruption
3. Face facts, South Africa is ten times more developed than Nigeria is (if you consider Nigeria as a developing nation).
At least in SA, vice presidents can be arrested and prosecuted for rape. In Nigeria, Govt officials have no shame, they quarell openly and yet do not have the honor to step down when the ovation is loudest. If Obasanjo is to be invited, then Mugabe should be invited too since both are doing the very same thing; altering their countries constitutions (albeit in the name of God) to suit their own selfish agendas.

The lack of invitation is an indirect way of saying - WE NO LONGER RESPECT YOU!
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Constantin: 3:02pm On May 04, 2006
Whiteroses, how can I be jealous of South africa when I am a Nigerian! ??!! grin I do not belong to any impoverished small desert or bush African republic but to great and mighty N-I-G-E-R-I-A kiss AND i AM VERY PROUD OF IT. smiley

THE MAIN REASON FOR HIS NOT BEING INVITED IS THAT HE WELCOMES ASIAN INVESTORS AND OTHER PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE TO THIS THIS BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT OUR MARKET WAS "RESERVED" FOR THEM.

But who refelcting on it a second time who really cares G8 is an old fashioned club of some wine-drinking and sandwich-eating rascists. The next generation countries like China India Brazil Mexico and Nigeria will move on without them anyway grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Constantin: 3:05pm On May 04, 2006
Whiteroses, how can I be jealous of South africa when I am a Nigerian! ??!! grin I do not belong to any impoverished small desert or bush African republic but to great and mighty N-I-G-E-R-I-A kiss AND i AM VERY PROUD OF IT. smiley

THE MAIN REASON FOR HIS NOT BEING INVITED IS THAT HE WELCOMES ASIAN INVESTORS AND OTHER PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE TO THIS THIS BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT OUR MARKET WAS "RESERVED" FOR THEM.

But reflecting on it a second time, who really cares G8 is an old fashioned club of some wine-drinking and sandwich-eating rascists. The next generation countries like China India Brazil Mexico and Nigeria will move on without them anyway grin grin grin grin

I am soooo fed up with an elite club saying what our countries should and should not do!!!! cry cry
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by gentleaura(m): 3:10pm On May 04, 2006
dude, Constantin, whats all that hypocritcal rambling about? Ooh pls! why are you trying to put Obj up as some saint with the evil he's shelling out to his country?

Why all of a sudden Chinese's president is such a big deal? He was in USA shortly before he went to Nigeria, he was in Canada earlier. so whats the fuss about that?

Yall need to check for more important issue than sheding light on matters that doesnt count. Chinese president's visit is such a bologne. Check with issues like the most-hyped "Third term", "Kidnapping of Westerners in the NigerDelta", "Corruption", "Human rights".

When you have such important issues that matters to the G-8 leaders, why would you be crying crocodile tears over Juntao's visit? abegi
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Constantin: 3:34pm On May 04, 2006
Because I love my country and I will defend it if you want to defend these people just go on. I´ll stick to my country Nigeria! A plAce I love, Westerners always hipe countries, support dictorships and once they are over with them they just dump them

TAKE GHANA A COUNTRY THAT IS TAKING GREAT STRIDES in IMPROVING. Kufuor went so many times to G8 summits and so on and begged for investments in his country soooo many times but western investors still shy away when they hear the name Ghana while Asian investors come to the country. Why are they not supporting democracies and once Kufuor´S legislation is over they go around writing articles that Africans are incapable and that Ghana remains stagnant while South Corea took off, they showered South Corea with a lot of investment and money while Ghana is left out, They like to see our countries suffer because this is what they are accustomed, too. It is really sad cry

NEVERTHELESS I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND I AM A PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN smiley

PS: Where did I say that Obasanjo was a saint
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by my2cents(m): 4:25pm On May 04, 2006
It could also be one of the following:

- He went at first so as to convince the G8 folks of the need for Nigeria to be unburdened of her debt. I believe we just made our last payment. In other words, goal achieved. No need attended further.

- They only invited him when they wanted something from him, as in oil. Now that they have achieved their purpose, like an orange, after sucking it dry and eating the pulp, they have tossed him out the window.

Just wondering out loud
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by SamCharles(m): 4:52pm On May 04, 2006
Well, i just read from the This Day Newspaper that the non invitation
of Obasanjo to the G-8 is due to the Third term Agenda,.
The decision was not only taken by Russia alone but the US was inclusive and other
members.
Talk of subtle sanction?
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by darqly(m): 5:08pm On May 04, 2006
This is good news. African leaders need to be cured of this sit-tight-on-my-father's-throne mentality. I hope he doesn't even get invited to a host of other events angry
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Ashiwaju(m): 5:13pm On May 04, 2006
Nigeria is not a member of G8 and they choose whoever they want but one thing is certain, the world respects a presi who can manage its territory and disasters, naija is so loose and i bet obj can cause more harm to the g8 than neccessary.

So its beta them leave him to keep on clamouring in secret for third term. its about no chinese visit or trade. its simply because that man called obj is stupid and he is a thief just like mugabe. and for person wey dey compare south africa or america with nigeria, u are making a big mistake ooo. cause america reps a countinent while SA rep. the south or part of d continent.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Constantin: 5:51pm On May 04, 2006
my2cent, you coined the words marvelously, nothing more to add
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by WesleyanA(f): 1:24am On May 05, 2006
Nigeria isn't a member of the G8 as Ashiwaju mentioned. the Group of 8 decide who they want to invite and the invitations are usually for specific reasons.

Ashiwaju:

and for person wey dey compare south africa or america with nigeria, u are making a big mistake ooo. cause america reps a countinent while SA rep. the south or part of d continent.

America is just a synonym for The United States of America (a country).
so you can refer to America as a country
or as a continent.

South Africa is better developed than Nigeria in my opinion even though I don't think this has anything to do with the G8 Summit.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by SIBLI06(m): 1:41pm On May 05, 2006
my2cents:

It could also be one of the following:

- He went at first so as to convince the G8 folks of the need for Nigeria to be unburdened of her debt. I believe we just made our last payment. In other words, goal achieved. No need attended further.

- They only invited him when they wanted something from him, as in oil. Now that they have achieved their purpose, like an orange, after sucking it dry and eating the pulp, they have tossed him out the window.

Just wondering out loud (No your not, your stating your belief)

@my2cents, I totally agree and I'm pleased that obj achieved his main goal regarding Nigeria's debt to the Paris club. However I disagree with the second statement and think it is biased and uncalled for (Opinions are to be discussed not dismissed). You make out like there is no oil left in Nigeria, OK there is a real problem in the delta region but don't forget offshore. Nigeria is blessed with so much oil, it's practically floating on the black gold.

The issue is an extremely difficult one, Nigerian's feels that other countries only get involved with Nigeria because of there oil. Now this is not entirely true in my opinion. I do admit it is a big factor however, in my book it always returns down to present and past leaders of Nigeria. Deals are signed and agreed by all parties before exploration and production starts. So if the money from the sales is not put back into the country whose fault is it? Is it the oil companies or the leaders? I spent 5 years working in the delta for SPDC and I have seen the money that is being paid to the local communities, we are not talking about a few dollars here.

I don't want to make out that shell is everything, it's not. I am merely stating my beliefs. I look forward to hearing your response as I often find your posts informative.

Much Respect.

It's business afterall. I don't claim to know too much about the history of Nigeria, I am more than willing to learn as my wife is Nigerian.

I believe OBJ was not invited due to the 3rd term issue.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by brushparke(m): 4:37pm On May 05, 2006
Constantin:

But reflecting on it a second time, who really cares G8 is an old fashioned club of some wine-drinking and sandwich-eating rascists. The next generation countries like China India Brazil Mexico and Nigeria will move on without them anyway grin grin grin grin

I am soooo fed up with an elite club saying what our countries should and should not do!!!! cry cry

OBJ's noninvitation has nothing to do with China.They no already they can't fight china.
It is just a way of telling him to step down in 2007.War in Nigeria will affect the G8 so much esp now that oil prices is averaging $72.it will only worsen thing for them.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by dearzi(f): 11:13pm On May 05, 2006
If Russia's backing the US about not inviting OBJ to the G-8 summit, do you think they'll still be backing Bush after Chenney's statement? just wondering out loud.

Another question is "if the non-invitation's really cuz of the third term bid for power, do you think that'll really make an impact on OBJ, cuz the man is too stubborn." Any thoughts on that, anybody.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by 4Play(m): 7:19pm On May 06, 2006
Obasanjo's non-invitation would still stand irrespective of Cheney's outburst against Russia.Don't forget Russia's position in the G8 has been the subject of dispute due to Putin's alleged authoritarian tendencies so Russia will be loath to invite a President who is accused of similar tendecies.
I think it will take more than a non-invitation to a talk shop to dissuade Obasanjo to desist from pursuing a 3rd term.But every little helps.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by memyself2(f): 11:37pm On May 06, 2006
tot Nig was a member of G8?
and has obj said anyfin bout contestin 4 a third term? i havent heard him say dat, i've just heard alot of speculations and if he's contestin 4 a 3rd term, i fink all Nigs shld support him cuz he's done ALOT for Nig, i mean, fink back.
by the way this has been really informative.
by the way, what have you got against the poor guy? human beings r NEVA satisfied!
and wat is wrong wit this Niger-delta militants? i fink they r just tots wit excess adrenaline!

pls dont hate! everybody has opinions and just statin mine!
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by memyself2(f): 11:43pm On May 06, 2006
Constantin:

Because I love my country and I will defend it if you want to defend these people just go on. I´ll stick to my country Nigeria! A plAce I love, Westerners always hipe countries, support dictorships and once they are over with them they just dump them

TAKE GHANA A COUNTRY THAT IS TAKING GREAT STRIDES in IMPROVING. Kufuor went so many times to G8 summits and so on and begged for investments in his country soooo many times but western investors still shy away when they hear the name Ghana while Asian investors come to the country. Why are they not supporting democracies and once Kufuor´S legislation is over they go around writing articles that Africans are incapable and that Ghana remains stagnant while South Corea took off, they showered South Corea with a lot of investment and money while Ghana is left out, They like to see our countries suffer because this is what they are accustomed, too. It is really sad cry

NEVERTHELESS I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND I AM A PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN smiley

PS: Where did I say that Obasanjo was a saint

constatin, i really admire your loyalty, if only all Nigerians would be the same.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by sade511(f): 11:36pm On May 07, 2006
Then we would be a step closer to becoming a better country.

Before Nigeria starts trying to change things and make this and that we(the people and the Gov't) need to start agreeing on things together and not only think for themselves (Gov't officials).
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by memyself2(f): 8:40am On May 08, 2006
tell me bout it!
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Ashiwaju(m): 11:13am On May 08, 2006
@ Me,Myself, I wont be suprised about your comment,,, you dont seem to be well informed. For you not to be aware that nigeria is not part of the G8 is enough to tell why you think obj should go for a third term! Ask them in kenya how nairobi became one of the most beautiful cities in Africa! if you dont know, i ll help you,,, they gave change a chance!
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by dearzi(f): 9:56pm On May 08, 2006
Honestly, if that man wants to run for third term, cry, i don't know, he has a lot of brush up to do! the man was so disgraceful when i saw him on CNN, when they were doing the Sudan peace talks! he was eating/ hustling to grab banana from a bowl, or whatever that thing was! few minutes later he was licking his mouth! what kind of man is that? no etiquette! i strongly believe we need a clean cabinet--new president, and officials, these shameful ones have to go!

That man just has to go, he has tried! please--he's just hugging that sit like he laid eggs there!

@Me, Myself
Haba! how'd you say that about the Niger-Deltans? militants or not, they're fighting for what they believe in. They've suffered o! i remember a picture i saw of a child from that region, his brain was growing outside his head, and there are cases like that, cuz of the oil spilage and all the attrocities committed against those people, please, don't even talk about them. You may think they have a lot of adrenaline, but if you see half of what they've been through--think again.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Zahymaka(m): 10:40pm On May 08, 2006
Thank you very much dearzi -- you've said just what I couldn't find a way to put in words.

What militants? Is it by levelling Odi and the other atrocities Obasanjo's Army committed against these 'militants'?
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Ashiwaju(m): 10:51am On May 09, 2006
@dearzi

Thats not the worse he has done on BBC and CNN, he is not a good rep atall. if you watch the commonwealth summit in austria, you would see that only obj brought a very big diary to the hall, for what? just to deliver speech when every other Presi has their small note in the suit pocket. That man is not learned atall imagine obj pronouncing "Reasonable" as "Reasonableness" on BBC, if you watch that Pope Burial in Isreal you would see obj yawning like a mad cow because he is not use to standing and less than five minuites e is already yawning. No proper training, just military mentality.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by memyself2(f): 11:51am On May 09, 2006
okay guyz, i'm sorry for puttin my big mouth, b4 havin enuff info grin
lik, i said dont hate grin
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by Zahymaka(m): 2:44pm On May 09, 2006
We're not hating. dearzi, like me is from the Niger Delta and we've both seen what has been done to the indigenes. Hope you don't mind a kiss or four. kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by dearzi(f): 7:37pm On May 09, 2006
@ Me, Myself,
Sweetie, aint nobody hating on you, just get educated--no offense meant.

Zahymaka
Who are you kissing four times? was i included?? no, why not? yes? ok, kisses back at you kiss, but that's only if i was included to start off with! if not, infact, by force i'm included grin

Ashiwaju
Please my ribs hurt from laughing. Has the man never heard of a palm pilot or one of those small gadgets people use these days? even if he has to have notes, hasn't he heard of the word "concise?" please, the man just has to go!
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by 4Play(m): 8:40pm On May 09, 2006
I am speaking truth to power.Women can't even make up their minds about shopping, yet they want to discuss politics.
Women should be seen not heard.If they spent their time doing what they are best at-servicing their men and cooking-the world will be a much more peaceful place.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by dearzi(f): 11:23pm On May 09, 2006
@4Play
shocked what? dude!!! don't say that again--who said a woman can't do it all i'm doing it all.
Re: Why Is Obasanjo Not Invited To The G8 Summit This Year? by vostel(f): 1:39am On May 10, 2006
As someone stated, Nigeria is not party of G8-- so it is not a must that we are invited. I'm sure the G8 has an agenda they want to promote each time they meet, and different countries will be invited depending on their role in fulfilling that agenda.

In terms of importance to Africa though, Nigeria is key. Look at the roles we played in resolving the Sudanese and Liberian conflicts. South Africa played a role as well, but we certainly also played ours. And if for nothing else, our oil makes us important to the west. Afterall, who ever thought that some ijaw boys rioting in the delta could hit Americans in their pockets?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. / Uk Wants To Quiz Adenuga / 400 Nigerians Languishing In Chinese Prisons, 1 Executed Last month - Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.