Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,144 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. (2757 Views)

New FG Policy Onitsha Bridge Head Drug Market To Shut Down July 1st / Crisis Rocks Onitsha Drug Market, Four Injured As Disgruntled Traders Fail To Ou / Kano To Sanitise Sabon-gari Drug Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by mohadana: 3:30pm On Jun 26, 2007
Fake drugs: NAFDAC reopens Onitsha drug market
•Bans ex-market leaders, others
By GEOFFREY ANYANWU, Awka
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 
•Prof. Dora Akunyili

Traders at the Onitsha Bridge Head Market (Onitsha drug market), who were out of business for four months following the closure by National Agency for Food Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), could not hold their joy on Monday as the agency re-opened the market conditionally.

NAFDAC Director-General, Prof. Dora Akunyili, had hardly finished announcing the re-opening of the market, when the traders jumped and shouted at the top of their voices for joy, singing praises of Governor Peter Obi who made it possible.

Onitsha Bridge Head Market was closed on March 6, 2007 over fake and counterfeit drugs. After screening of the market, NAFDAC removed and publicly destroyed 104 truckloads of fake, counterfeit, expired, banned and smuggled drugs worth over N6.5 billion from the market.

The re-opening of the market, Akunyili said became necessary following the commitment of the state governor, Mr. Obi, who she said had, on getting the Supreme Court judgment that reinstated him, called her and pleaded to fulfill every condition that would get the market reopened.
She said: "Your governor, Mr. Peter Obi, a man of his words, has guaranteed that he will ensure that all the conditions are met. This has given us the incentive to reopen the market. Another major reason we are reopening the market is that we are mindful of the suffering of the few genuine traders who have been caught up in the mess caused by criminals in their midst".

The NAFDAC bos, however, gave the agency’s immediate and long terms conditions for the reopening of the market, which include the setting up of an eight-man caretaker committee made up of credible people to oversee the affairs of the market for one year before an election would be held; and a letter of undertaking to be signed by them.

NAFDAC also demanded a commitment by the new caretaker committee to hand over to it the eight members of the board of trustees and eradication committee or former officials of the market union, OPPMDU, who either refused to honour its invitation or absconded half-way during interrogation.

She further said: "Following our interviews, interrogations and other findings, which seriously indicted some people, NAFDAC outright bans the following categories of people from owning any shop or operating inside the Bridge Head Drug Market: all erstwhile members of Alphonsus Onyejiaku-led board of trustees (excluding William Anyaoha) of OPPMDU, all erstwhile members of the Josephat Eli-led eradication committee of OPPMDU, all members of OPPMDU who have held the office of chairman/president or Secretary of OPPMDU since 2002."

Also, Akunyili announced 26 names who she described as kingpins of faking and counterfeiting and owners of shops that are generally responsible for the monumental mess in the market, who she said were also banned from operating in the market, adding: "They are given 48 hours to remove all their belongings from the shops, and thereafter never to transact any business in the drug market again".
On the long term, she said that the market should be walled to provide for only three entrances or outlets for both vehicular and pedestrian movements.

The agency, she further said, demanded the complete redesigning or restraining of the shops, including the possible collapsing of many shops into one to ventilate and make them suitable for the storage of drugs; adding that ultimate solution was for the state to map out a virgin land and build a modern drug mart that would be registered by PCN, supervised by pharmacists and monitored by NAFDAC.
She therefore, directed all the traders to enter their stalls and bring out all expired drugs and voluntarily and immediately hand them over to NAFDAC officials, noting that if any expired drug is found in any shop afterward the owner would be sanctioned.

Also addressing the traders, Governor Obi, who earlier held about three hours closed-door meeting with Akunyili in his office, said he had since resuming duties been on the neck of NAFDAC for the reopening of the market. He thanked the agency for believing in him, promising not to let it down.
He, however, warned that the state government would not hesitate to pull down any market in the state where fake drugs are found and revoke the document of land on which the market is built.

Obi promised to see to the building of the modern drug market, just as he promised to inaugurate the caretaker committee.
One of the traders, Mr. Obi Nwosu, commended the governor for intervening in the matter and getting NAFDAC to reopen the market, noting that the traders suffered a great deal in the four months they were out of business.
He also urged the new caretaker committee to ensure that NAFDAC directives were carried to the letter, so that business in the place would run without hitches.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by Ezinwannem: 3:44pm On Jun 26, 2007
Oga, please next time, please write a lil sumthing den give da link of the source 4 those interested in da topic, hmm another thing, tell us wat u think so discussion can begin tongue
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by mohadana: 3:54pm On Jun 26, 2007
;d ;d ;d
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by chichi81(f): 7:41pm On Jun 26, 2007
Hi  i am new to nairaland.this is my view about Anambra peers.they are  the ones destroying the igbo image. angryOf all the Ibo states the UBA/NGIGE scandal is only possible in Anambra state. Traders mentality reigns supreme in Anambra state.Anambra state is a state of cash and carry people. They are always disgracing Ndigbo. If it is not Aguleri-Umuleri, it is Okija Shrine.If it is not Emeka Ofor it is Chris Uba or one uncouth money-miss-road who wants to show that money is everything.Unfortunately to a large extent these illiterate rascals succeed in these ventures because they always find people in Anambra state who will do their bidding for a little sum of money.Otokoto and his brigands tried such nonesense in Imo state and they are all lying six feet under today.In Anambra state Otokoto would be a kingmaker with the power to burn down the government house at his whim.Anambra state has the highest school drop-out rate in the entire southeast.The mentality of the uneducated has taken over the state. They have the biggest mouth in the SE zone but they are just the epitome of vulgarity, ANAMBRA is the problem with Igbos, they consistently behave like The Bendel Ibo's people, the Onitsha area needs to be sanitized
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by chichi81(f): 7:43pm On Jun 26, 2007
Imo_State: Heart of Ndigbo .can't stand Anambra folks so carry on. grin
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by doncaster(m): 7:56pm On Jun 26, 2007
chichi81:

Hi  i am new to nairaland.this is my view about Anambra peers.they are  the ones destroying the igbo image. angryOf all the Ibo states the UBA/NGIGE scandal is only possible in Anambra state. Traders mentality reigns supreme in Anambra state.Anambra state is a state of cash and carry people. They are always disgracing Ndigbo. If it is not Aguleri-Umuleri, it is Okija Shrine.If it is not Emeka Ofor it is Chris Uba or one uncouth money-miss-road who wants to show that money is everything.Unfortunately to a large extent these illiterate rascals succeed in these ventures because they always find people in Anambra state who will do their bidding for a little sum of money.Otokoto and his brigands tried such nonesense in Imo state and they are all lying six feet under today.In Anambra state Otokoto would be a kingmaker with the power to burn down the government house at his whim.Anambra state has the highest school drop-out rate in the entire southeast.The mentality of the uneducated has taken over the state. They have the biggest mouth in the SE zone but they are just the epitome of vulgarity, ANAMBRA is the problem with Igbos, they consistently behave like The Bendel Ibo's people, the Onitsha area needs to be sanitized

i am from igbo but your write up is no way near the topic please.find the appropriate thread and say your mind.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by mohadana: 8:34pm On Jun 26, 2007
:p
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by McKren(m): 11:55pm On Jun 26, 2007
I don't think ChiChi81 is from Imo State. Not even Igbo at all

Whoever was behind that post is working in collusion with the originator of this thread to foster Igbo bashing
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by Iman3(m): 12:06am On Jun 27, 2007
McKren:

I don't think ChiChi81 is from Imo State. Not even Igbo at all

Whoever was behind that post is working in collusion with the originator of this thread to foster Igbo bashing

If you read her posts,she has posted this same thing 3 times-https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=110173;sa=showPosts She uses "Ibo" quite a lot.  She even mentioned that she can't write in Igbo  grin
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by Ezinwannem: 12:41am On Jun 27, 2007
chichi, don't hate Anambra people 4 their money, mind u, they have money but don't make nooise about it. The Imo,people you're supporting who does not have anything that make mouth, please, if u have nuthing say, just dont say at all, thanks
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by Freewilly(f): 12:48am On Jun 27, 2007
Chichi man I don't know who you think you fooling I'm sure you just one of those Igbo HATERS on NL with a different login name, grow up dude and quit making a fool of yourself.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by grafikdon: 3:19am On Jun 27, 2007
Another pea- brained- self fellating nincompoop parading as 'Ibo'. I am refering to Chchiwetincall.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by docokwy(m): 5:00am On Jun 27, 2007
Ndigbo Ibem,

O di mma ka anyi tugharia uche na ihe Chichi kwuru. Anam eche na obere eziokwu di na ya bu okwu. Unu le state Igbo ndi ozo were ha ma Anambra atu (comparison).
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by grafikdon: 5:08am On Jun 27, 2007
@docokwy

Onweghi uru obara igbagha okwu a ma oli. Ina acho igwa m na ewere nkata kpudo Anambra na Ala Igbo agaghi enwezi ndi ofeke na ndi ochonga n'oko ? Okwu Chichigininwa bu okwu onye nsi n'akpa, obu okwu onye nuru anwuru ike nke uburu ya n'agba kpim. Obu mmadu di ka chichi kpatara umu akpuruohu di ka Mohadana ji were ndi Igbo eme akaje.angry
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by docokwy(m): 5:26am On Jun 27, 2007
chichi81:

.Anambra state has the highest school drop-out rate in the entire southeast.The mentality of the uneducated has taken over the state. They have the biggest mouth in the SE zone but they are just the epitome of vulgarity, ANAMBRA is the problem with Igbos, they consistently behave like The Bendel Ibo's people, the Onitsha area needs to be sanitized

Chichi,

You come across as a crass ignoramus. After Imo, Anambra is the second state with the most university admittants in Nigeria? Inform yourself with the JAMB data online. Thus, how can they be in such enviable position and still have high drop-out rate? Your assertion is only valid if it is stated that the true population of Anambra is yet to be determined so that a percent comparison (with other Nigerian states) can be made. In Onitsha market, you find traders from all over Nigeria. Of course there are more Igbos from Anambra state there. Bear also in mind that Akunyili who is fighting the fake drug scourge is an Anambrarian.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by denex: 6:50am On Jun 27, 2007
I think Anambra state has one of the highest potentials for any state in Nigeria. I believe the have a chance of single-handedly moving forward without due course to what happens to Nigeria in general.

The governor is a visionary and I hope the people don't give him chance to relax. If they keep pushing him, there's no limit to what they can achieve. Imagine a governor that can push for the Onitsha market to be reopened.

Ladipo market was closed for months and Tinubu didn't care.

Did I mention they have some of the most beautiful women ever? I've never been to any Ibo state because of my personal generalizations, then the whole Bakassi boys saga just totally scared me away. However with this Peter Obi guy and the changes he's making, some of us may soon be heading for anambra state to earn our daily bread.

Then from there, we're facing Enugu where the people are just sitting on what is now called the DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH. You guys have no idea what people are using liquified coal for today.

I do believe this Chichi individual is Ibo, the type of Ibo that destroyed the Ibos throughout the past 3 decades but I think you people have to re-educate these people if not, they will pose a bigger problem when the time comes.

Every people has this type of segmentalist defeatist entities in it. You do not cast them away because the enemy will use them to divide and conquer you. You draw them near and re-orientate them.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by McKren(m): 6:54am On Jun 27, 2007
Dokokwy there is no need to loose sleep defending Anambra

Chichi is not Igbo, it is that simple.

Trying to defend Anambra is simply playing into Chichi's hands.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by Freewilly(f): 6:57am On Jun 27, 2007
denex:

I think Anambra state has one of the highest potentials for any state in Nigeria. I believe the have a chance of single-handedly moving forward without due course to what happens to Nigeria in general.

The governor is a visionary and I hope the people don't give him chance to relax. If they keep pushing him, there's no limit to what they can achieve. Imagine a governor that can push for the Onitsha market to be reopened.

Ladipo market was closed for months and Tinubu didn't care.

Did I mention they have some of the most beautiful women ever? I've never been to any Ibo state because of my personal generalizations, then the whole Bakassi boys saga just totally scared me away. However with this Peter Obi guy and the changes he's making, some of us may soon be heading for anambra state to earn our daily bread.

Then from there, we're facing Enugu where the people are just sitting on what is now called the DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH. You guys have no idea what people are using liquified coal for today.

I do believe this Chichi individual is Ibo, the type of Ibo that destroyed the Ibos throughout the past 3 decades but I think you people have to re-educate these people if not, they will pose a bigger problem when the time comes.

Every people has this type of segmentalist defeatist entities in it. You do not cast them away because the enemy will use them to divide and conquer you. You draw them near and re-orientate them.

Very well spoken, you sound like a very informed and educated gentleman. kiss
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by kokoA(m): 7:56am On Jun 27, 2007
Folks! if you guys don't have anything to say about the topic, why not "waka pass" instead of criticizing the poor girl/boy (chichi). Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion and thats why we call this a forum. Besides her/his opinion is not far from the truth.

Have you ever asked yourself why all the wrongdoings in the east always come from ananbra?
The first state in nigeria where an uneducated container boy openly declare himself as "godfather", going to the extent of kidnapping a so called governor. Can you imaging that?

The only state where people agree openly to rigg election (governor ingige). Where was the famous bakassi boys from? (anambra of course). The only state where armed robbers rob the governor's house and went scotch-free. Then, talk about fake drugs in nigeria, where do you go? ANAMBRA of course. And recent descorveries have shown that our former failed ruler (obasanjo) is from anambra. I pity una! That market should have been banned for life if you ask me. Do you know how many people die from fake drugs in a day? Innocent bloods are been spilled everyday and yet you defend the perpetuators of such barbaric acts. Dora have failed for the first time in her duties. I know she would, the moment she started following those good for nothing politicians (now she is being nominated for ministerial post). Thats what she wanted abi?

Yes, you guys have the most educated people from the east, but that is not enough justification for the "madness" going on in your state. Go back and fix your place please! I like your women though, they are very beutiful but am also scared of them.

You can love me or hate me for this post but i don't care. I am entitled to my opinion and it is for the general good of Nigeria. I said all this not because i hate anabrarians (infact my best friend is from there), but because i want them to change for good because other states have left them behind. SORRY!
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by chrisokw: 10:57am On Jun 27, 2007
In negative terms, can we say that Anambra is to the Igbo, what Oyo is to the Yoruba. It is what Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers are to the Niger Delta and what Plateau and Kano are to the North?

And, in positive terms, it is what Ogun state is to the Yoruba. Anambra is where most of the best, the good, the bad and the ugly in Igboland come from.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by McKren(m): 11:24am On Jun 27, 2007
chrisokw:

In negative terms, can we say that Anambra is to the Igbo, what Oyo is to the Yoruba. It is what Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers are to the Niger Delta and what Plateau and Kano are to the North?

And, in positive terms, it is what Ogun state is to the Yoruba. Anambra is where most of the best, the good, the bad and the ugly in Igboland come from.

Nwokem, e na cho isi anyi na unu nwele ebu nwe mfu' grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Rapu ndi asili ka fa koba ife solu' fa

Anambara na Imo bu ofu, onye Imo enwere ike iputa na Nairaland ibia ako ndi Anambara onu'.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by Ezinwannem: 3:27pm On Jun 27, 2007
@Koko, next time, please get the spelling of da state and da governor correctly to start with, don't know why people are hating on Anambra state, Who kares? Its their state, let them run it how they feel like, atleast some people gat the guts to fight back unlike other states, By da way, who told u dat itz in Anambra that an uneducated man became a godfather? abeg, get ur facts starihgt, u happen to know cuz of the crisis, if u know ur politicians/politics well, den u know ur facts aint correct
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by rowlandwhy: 12:01pm On Jun 28, 2007
some people are derailing from the thread / topic

COME BACK!!!

@Topic,
Thank God, my uncle can now restart business after all these long sufferings.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by laudate: 7:02pm On Jun 28, 2007
Mmmmn. . . . .thank God, Akunyili is Igbo!
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by PurestBoy(m): 2:07am On Jun 29, 2007
I will take Chi chi to Okija shrine to face the panel.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by BlackMamba(m): 8:51pm On Jun 29, 2007
Please don't take a chichiman's views seriously. Must have had one up his ass.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by fromuk(m): 11:17pm On Jul 01, 2007
That chichi8 abi 7 is the most stupid guy/gyl in this NL, what he/she wrote is no where near the topic. I suspect he/she is not igbo (s)he is just here to wynd us up and (s)he nearly did it.
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by fuzek: 8:09pm On Aug 11, 2007
dimka:

shocked shocked shocked

lmao, that is just so funny!

@topic
na wa 'Nairalanders' full of wonders, no1 eventually succeeded in sayin anything pertaining d topic after critizing chichiman dat contributed something to it, though it wasnt relevant.

na real wa, na real ndigbo grin grin grin
Re: Fake Drugs: Nafdac Reopens Onitsha Drug Market. by jona2: 12:37am On Dec 22, 2009
chichi81:

igbo on igbo.lol

(1) (Reply)

OBJ May Die In Prison —prophet / Edo Assembly To Stop FRSC’s Collection Of Licence Fees / Strange:- 700yrs old skeleton couple found holding hands photos, www..net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.