Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? (19530 Views)

Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by sweetrace(f): 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2013
Yes, you can. It is part of intercession. Job in the bible did on behalf of his children.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by dokunbam(m): 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2013
Should repent of his/her sin and be ready not to go back to the sinful ways
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by Lakayana: 1:45pm On Feb 24, 2013
The answer is both yes and no. Yes in the sense that it is said when two or three are gathered our heavenly father is there and whatever they agree on here on earth is accepted in heaven. No because when you pray and the person is not repentant you are only wasting your time for on the last day we shall give account of our individual deeds here on earth.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by Originalsly: 1:53pm On Feb 24, 2013
idowuh98: 1 John 5:16 If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that is not a deadly sin, he has only to pray and God will give life to this brother-provided that it is not a deadly sin
There is sin that leads to death and am not saying you must pray about that.
Is that what the Bible really said?...that all he has to do is pray and God will give life to the brother? I suggest you read another version of the Bible.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by Originalsly: 2:03pm On Feb 24, 2013
chukwudi44: John 20:21-23

New International Version (NIV)

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”
Did Jesus impart the Holy Spirit on you, on any priest or pastor? If not, then no man can erase the sins of another or intercede on behalf of another. Every man for himself....every man has to bear his own cross when it comes to sin.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by THEPOLY11: 2:10pm On Feb 24, 2013
[b]We can pray for anyone, to strength their faith , bring them back to christ , remember they are not wrestle agains t flesh and blood but the rulers of the darkness and most time we are all need each other in prayer.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by ekiyor3: 2:45pm On Feb 24, 2013
Gaggi: Can one pray to God to forgive the sins of another? Like praying that God forgives the sins of your father, brother, friend etc. I think anybody who is an adult is supposed to go to God directly. I see this in the catholic church where people confess their sins to the priest and expects him to help them pray to God for forgiveness. Is it right?
yes. That is when u have d gift of faith.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by AceVentura: 3:39pm On Feb 24, 2013
Simply put, no one can pray for God to forgive another person's sin. Every man for himself. You can only intercede for another man's salvation. Confessing to another man esp a priest is a man made doctrine & can not be found anywhere in the bible.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by Wendyphil(f): 3:48pm On Feb 24, 2013
chukwudi44: John 20:21-23

New International Version (NIV)

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”
Tnk u my dear,u hav said it all.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by prayerful: 4:08pm On Feb 24, 2013
I agree with what 'Ace Ventura' has said.. I believe it's called intercession..

According to Job 22 vs 29-30, if we are pure, holy and right with God, prayers we make in intercession on behalf of others would be answered because of our relationship with God..

Job 22 vs 21-30 gives a better understanding of that blessing..
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by farem: 5:23pm On Feb 24, 2013
[quote author=Dfrenzy]I believe so but, the sinner must be in agreement by being present during the prayer session and responding with amen.
WITHOUT SUBMITTING TO THE FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST ON THE CROSS OF CALVARY, NO FORGIVENESS OF SIN! REASON: 'for ALL have sinned and fall short of the the glory of God and the wages the Sin pays is death [eternal separation from the presence of God to the Lake of fire. 'without shedding of blood [of Chrit] there is no remission [forgiveness of sin]. WHY SHOULD SOMEONE BE SAYING 'AMEN' LIKE ZOMBIE WHEN HE IS NOT SUFFERING FROM DEAFNESS AND DUMBNESS. BEING BORN AGAIN IS THE ONLY AND LAST THING THAT QUALIFIES anybody ACCESS TO GOD'S MERCY. It is written thus 'Let us therefore COME BOLDLY to the Throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need' Heb 4:16 Also it is written 'If we confess our sins, He [JESUS] is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness' 1 John 1:9.

1 Like

Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by MahatmaGhandi: 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2013
it depends on who was offended, from the bible jesus prayed to God to forgive those that were killing him, also stephen prayed to God not to count the offense of his murderers against them, what i see from here is if you are the one that was sinned against then you can absolve the person that sinned against you from any blame what so ever, but a third 'human' party cannot pray to God to forgive a sin that was committed against someone else unless he is given the power to do so by the offended, but jesus can forgive sin committed against any one except the holy spirit. if i understand the bible, then this is what i think it means.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by pelezico: 10:34pm On Feb 24, 2013
This is quite simple to address.

Hebrew 9:27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgement,

This clearly says that man enters into judgement immediately after they die. There is no more repentance.

As for praying for the someone who is dead to somehow get them out of purgatory and into heaven is heresy. This is not scriptural but damnable heresy.
Luke 1:26 says And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.
This was said to the rich man who died and went to the second death which is hell.

There are no scriptures that support praying for someone who dead so that they may enter Heaven.

This would therefore mean that MAN sits on Gods throne of justice. We therefore make ourselves God as does much of the Catholic doctrine on Grace and Works

The only way and man can be saved is by Gods word thru faith in this life.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by pelezico: 10:48pm On Feb 24, 2013
Ill add that we can intercede for a person thru prayer and sometimes fasting (which might be necessary in some cases) and the Bible clearly tells us to pray for our Enemies so that God thru his grace will save them. We as Christians are called to pray for the unbeliever. God within his Sovereign Grace has decreed this that we work together with Him in the great mission of reaching the loss.

Remember we who are saved were lost- we will only know when we Gloriously enter his kingdom who interceded for us.

However every person who has ever been saved has Confessed Christ. You cannot be saved without Confession. Romans 10:9

No man can pray you into salvation without your active participation with the Holy Spirit in Confession
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by LeoAdewale1(m): 2:33pm On Feb 25, 2013
Gaggi: Can one pray to God to forgive the sins of another? Like praying that God forgives the sins of your father, brother, friend etc. I think anybody who is an adult is supposed to go to God directly. I see this in the catholic church where people confess their sins to the priest and expects him to help them pray to God for forgiveness. Is it right?

u can beg God 2 forgive ur sins & those u wish as well. Jesus prayed 2 GOD 2 forgive his torturers. BUT there's no where in d entire bible where confession was made 2 d ears of any priest. It's very paganic.
An ifa priest would beg d oracle on behalf of individuals & d community. So it is in other parts of d world. Doesn't it sound familiar?
Never make a confession 2 a priest 2 beg GOD 4 u it would seem as if not just anyone can be close 2 GOD. It's a lie, God is merciful than we can imagine. Be wise. Consult me when nessesary.
Re: Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? by emmyileri(m): 5:55pm On Nov 09, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4URKHvdky8g&t=14s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxiOheZe4ks&t=28s
Daniel did it on behalf of Israel, however the soul you are praying for must also repent. So prayer of repentance must also be included

(1) (2) (Reply)

Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos / Oladurotimi Saw Angels Wheeling Onaolapo Away / Bishop Oyedepo Honors Wife, Says She Hasn't Stressed Him In 32 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.