Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,352 members, 7,957,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:40 AM

Idols Is Back! (East Africa) - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Idols Is Back! (East Africa) (18017 Views)

Mercy Emerges Winner Of Nigerian Idols 2012 / Celebrities At Nigerian Idols Premiere Episode Screening / Is Anyone Watching Nigerian Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 26, 2008
Hi all,

Will the Sunday episode be repeated
I suspect i'll miss it cos I'll be at Sbird ----- spinning or watching others spin wink
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2008
Kenyan auditions are not the worst, its the one for Malawi. Terrible singers, no one of them were given the golden ticket, Its like they don't even think before going for the auditions. angry angry
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Cadet(f): 4:51pm On Apr 27, 2008
Cori_corde:

Kenyan auditions are not the worst, its the one for Malawi. Terrible singers, no one of them were given the golden ticket, Its like they don't even think before going for the auditions. angry angry

rotflmaO
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by ladybam(f): 10:32am On Apr 28, 2008
d only judge i admire is tk.angela is begining to upset me,big time.i mean wats up wit d meaningless scar kiss.and i hear she is married.nawahoo!!and scar,my God,sometimes i wish i culd enter dat audition hall,and plug his heart wit a knife.God i hate him so much.but then the east african idols in general is below average.and the judges suld stop talking nonsense about stiff competition because i dont see any competition at all.and after the malawi audition,i choose to reserve my commentsssssssssssssss.but i no my eyes bled at the extreme lack of talent among the malawian people
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 9:43am On Apr 29, 2008
Wow! That was some result show last night. Tension was palpable and there were quite a few surprises. Most notable among the surprises was Mandiso who had talked down on the talent at the auditions and had kept her group waiting almost all night for her to come to rehearsals. Good singer with a memorable voice, something must have gone wrong with her final audition. Or maybe it was just poetic justice for her running her mouth.

Ammara Brown, Samantha Trivacho and the shorthaired chic with the long name who sang a zulu song at the auditions are, in my opinion, the ones to watch.

Notice how the chics totally outnumber the guys in the top24? i think its like 19 to 5 if i remember clearly.

Waiting for next Sunday when Ammara Brown will be singing for our votes. Also singing on Sunday would be Mukuni Mulundika, Cynthia Kuto, Priscillah Mubone who had a fainting fit on the first day of the theatre auditions, Meeghan Galloway whose sister didn't make it to the top24 and Samantha Mogwe another brilliant singer. I think Ammara Brown and Samantha Mogwe have the brightest chances barring any unfortunate occurrences on the night.

Watchu guys think?
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by afrochalk: 1:03pm On Apr 29, 2008
hey guys, do i seem to have missed something?? on which channel did they show the top 24 thing?? i've been glued to channel 198 on dstv but i have seen anything worthwhile,
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 3:56pm On Apr 29, 2008
afrochalk:

hey guys, do i seem to have missed something?? on which channel did they show the top 24 thing?? i've been glued to channel 198 on dstv but i have seen anything worthwhile,

@Afrochalk

Yep! you have missed the Top24 results show. It is broadcast on Africa Magic as well as the MNet East and West channels on Sunday and Monday evenings. You'll need to go to their site to get the exact timing as i don't know your location. Sorry dude!
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by A40(m): 7:45pm On May 05, 2008
Most of those guys cant sing to save their lives i really cant blame some of them though cos their accent really can be twisted sometimes is but i also think the judging is whack they always seem to concur with each other too much i really cant stand that

On a lighter note they have some chicas there and to think i always under-rated their babes.You need to see the big fat booties and juicy titties on some of these chics cheesy
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by kaydee(m): 1:24am On May 06, 2008
How did Cynthia scale thru? Her performance was weak and the worst of the night. I'm happy for Ammara
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Beamer: 9:36am On May 06, 2008
Kaydee

Same question I was asking myself.

How do you perform so badly and then go through to the Top 10.

Like LC said up there, Ammara and Samantha were the good voices. And they sang well even on Sunday. Well, Mukuni tried and so did Priscilla but they couldnt hold a light to Ammara. Meeghan and Cynthia, well, sucked, big time.

Judge Kaweesa tied to guide the voting but as usual the public got it wrong.

Which is what I had predicted at Post Number 27

Come on Akowonjo, these Judges are human.

Whilst we are busy judging the judges, we should remember that voters quite often get it wrong too.

Sometimes even voting on racist grounds? http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-16-2002-20565.asp

So it will be terrible if we had very good singers and got confused on who should be the Idol. If the Judges let a few rotten eggs through to the next stage and let a few very good singers out, it is all part of the excitement. Its what can make you vent on this forum. It is the same argument people use to say referees in football should not use video evidence. The Idols concept is good if we have a few mistakes here and there. Mistakes by the contestants (eg wrong choice of song), mistakes by judges (passing on good talent) and mistakes by the viewers (voting out people with talent).

http://ourkidbert..com/2008/04/idols-east-africa.html

Sometimes I blame ourselves too. I mean, sometimes we do not vote in some of these shows and hope that everybody who votes gets to be reasonable.

Well, shock on you.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by KikiDixy(f): 10:45am On May 06, 2008
Let me just say I was slightly underwhelmed by Saturday's outing.Ammara beat the others hands down by a mile.I had hopes for the guy, seeing as there are very few guys in the running, but he messed up, oh welll, I might(and that's a big MIGHT!) watch on sunday for the next group of 6 but oh boy, I'm not really into it any more. American idols is on! grin

And if TK says "Yo check this out" one more time, nah bulalah I go buy take chase am from that studio.,.HABA!!!!! And were was the audience, i know at that stage there are only a few people in attaendance but still, I found it dry jare undecided
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by adechuks(m): 11:06am On May 06, 2008
lawyerchap:

@Afrochalk

Yep! you have missed the Top24 results show. It is broadcast on Africa Magic as well as the MNet East and West channels on Sunday and Monday evenings. You'll need to go to their site to get the exact timing as i don't know your location. Sorry dude!

Lawyerchap, una don come here again.
Good to see you with you insightful analysis. How did your "Call to prayer" pitch do last year?
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lysaa(f): 11:24am On May 06, 2008
did u guys say cynthia scaled thru shocked ? I kindA thot as much tho. U know, it's the viewers that have the power. Ammara is the one I think has got the energy to go far in this competition but her voice is gradually going. have u observed when she tries to talk, it comes out like she is sizzling?
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by uchetobi(f): 12:28pm On May 06, 2008
Lawyerchap, good to see you here, Looking foward to your analysis
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by akowonjo: 2:00pm On May 06, 2008
Kai! Those Malawians are from another world. My sister laughed so hard she started crying. Now, anytime she wants to get everybody in the house to laugh she sings an idols east africa original eg
Prease forgive, prease forgive, prease forgive, prease forgive
or
Love your an'mals, love ur an'mals, treat them well, treat them well.
Haba! What a joke.

I suggest the next idols contest in East Africa should be made a clowning contest to get the best comedian around. No need for singing contest yet. Dem no just try at all!!!!!!!
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by adechuks(m): 2:22pm On May 06, 2008
one of my colleagues came in to work the other day and started singing,
"Some people want, fame and and fortune" using a "particularly-idols east africa" format. we all just started laughing.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by JUNIT1(m): 5:26pm On May 06, 2008
why are they stil showing that crap auditions on 198, anyway one good thing about this east african idols is that the voting is fair, you can not actually predict who will go, unlike naija's own where they just decided who the best was.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by janami(f): 6:07pm On May 06, 2008
i love the lilogwe auditions. kept me laughing during those bad days smiley
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by afrochalk: 9:49am On May 07, 2008
Am beginning to think the producers at Mnet lack creativity. The essence of a reality show is suspense, intrigue and humor. The show is supposed to have a non linear pattern, with sub-plots and sideshows added as the main plot unfolds. These serves to make the show more captivating and different from others like it. But am sorry to say that Idols East Africa is very predictable, boring, and very much like any other Idols. It lacks its own unique SOUL and CHARACTER. You guys feel me? Plus, I dont understand whats the use of channel 198, or whatever number it has evolved to. They keep repeating the same auditions till one becomes sick of the whole thing. I never want to see it, never.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 10:22am On May 07, 2008
Hey people,
Been offline since the weekend due to some small illness. Will be back to full strength by tomorrow. Meantime, Cynthia Kuto in the Top 10? How on earth did that happen? I so did not feel her performance on the night. But she sure looks great. Great eye-candy for television, but the singing? It totally didn't 'werk' for me. Even priscillah was way better. But perhaps Priscillah isn't built like an idol and so she didn't make it. Much the same way the albino with the goosebump inducing voice didn't make top10 in the west african edition.

But Ammara! Oh Ammara. I fear that girl. And i fear for that girl. As at Sunday, she appeared to be losing her voice but she still blew the competition away. Thankfully she will have about a month to recover it before the top10 starts to perform. I fear for her because she is so good that people will become complacent and neglect to vote for her, much like happened to Jodie. But she is clearly the best in the competition.

Singing next week are Katungulu, Trinah, Faycal, Penjani, Irenne and Alice. Penjani won a local version of Idols in her country and actually went to canada to record an album. It never materialised and she came to audition for East African Idols. At her audition i didn't think she was up to scratch but she got the gplden ticket and made it into the top24, so she must be doing something right. She will be one to watch, just because of her background story.

Not too sure if Katungulu is the shorthaired chic who sang the zulu song at the auditions, but if she is, then i think she's got a great chance of making the top10. Faycal will be holding it down for the guys and i wish him luck.

Well, let's see how this goes, shall we?

Peace Out.

uchetobi:

Lawyerchap, good to see you here, Looking foward to your analysis

@Uchetobi
Great to see you here too. Looks like its gonna be a great ride.

adechuks:

Lawyerchap, una don come here again.
Good to see you with you insightful analysis. How did your "Call to prayer" pitch do last year?

@Adechuks
Thanks bro. Call to prayer went to another agency. Thanks for all your support. How you doing?
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by malaika(f): 2:56pm On May 07, 2008
::
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by artmaster: 6:17pm On May 07, 2008
Hi guys hook up with friends on face book and check out the MUSIC UNITED group
www.facebook.com

Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by debouy: 6:26pm On May 07, 2008
Very true guys,The show is boring
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by hola2ng(m): 9:51am On May 08, 2008
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 12:10pm On May 08, 2008
malaika:

Welcome back LC hope you'll feel 100% again soon. Katungulu is the Kenyan chic who won a local design competition. I've not been blown away by her. In this group I expect Trinnah with her sultry almost-hoarse voice and Penjani to do good. Can't remember the others.

As for Cynthia, it might be a case of Jerrilyn, hope not though! Ammara might not win this, people might vote for an 'underdog' like Miss Zulu song: "Uyindod' emadoneni, ungubaba wezingane zami, " (You are a man amongst men, the father of my children) beautiful song cheesy

@Malaika
Great to see you again. And thanks. Yeah, i saw the preview for the second group performing on Sunday and realised that Katungulu was the chic who won Catwalk Kenya and got the first Golden Ticket in Nairobi and was the last person into the Top24. I agree with you, she has never blown me away but i guess she'll grow in the competition if she makes it through. For heavens sake, who is that Miss Zulu Song? I am so watching out for her. Trinnah is something special and will also be one to look out for on sunday.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by afrochalk: 12:28pm On May 08, 2008
u should watch, a guy called Erick, with a big afro, I think he's from Zim. I saw him at the auditions stage and he made it to the top 24.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Toyatc: 7:32pm On May 12, 2008
Hey guys, did you ppl watch the GROUP 2 performance on sunday 11-05, well in my own opinion, i think TRINAH from Zambia was awesome.
[b][/b]imagine 'mr i too know' Scar sid she gave him goose pimples.
PENJANI also did very well and i jst hope that Africans vote wisely cos those two deserve to be in top ten. wink
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 12:04pm On May 13, 2008
Well, it seems the Penjani who made the Top24 was not the same one who won the local version of idols in her country. But despite her very best efforts singing Celine Dion's "It's all coming back to me now" on Sunday, she was still the first person to be kicked off Idols last night.

Irenne the mouthy had to eat humble pie last night as she also got the boot after an anemic performance of Celine Dion's "Declaration of Love" on Sunday. Independent judge Kaweesa summed up her performance by saying she left him just as she met him. In other words, her performance had no effect on him. And i agreed with him, though i probably would not have put it quite that way.

Trinah Chisanga was the highpoint of Sunday's performances. Clad in a striking white and black hips-displaying ensemble, she did magical things with that venerable ode for pining lovers "When i need love." Her performance was a clear statement of intent to everyone who would make it into the top10: Trinah is here to win this thing. It was thus no surprise when she became the third person into the Top10.

Goofy Katungulu, winner of catwalk Kenya and the last person into the Top24 put on quite a display with her rendition of Gloria Estefan's "Rhythm of the Night." But the beautiful dance moves and the shoes weren't enough to convince Africa to keep her in the Top10. Well, i guess its back to scissors, needle and thread for the gifted kenyan designer.

Alice was completely forgettable in her performance of "Thunder only happens when its raining" while Faycal's rendition of Michael Buble's "Crazy Little thing called love" didn't exactly have me jumping up and down in excitement, but it was apparently enough to get him into the Top10. Personally i think they went for gender balance with the choice of Faycal, because i think that generally Katungulu's performance was more enjoyable than Faycal's.

Group Three perform next Sunday as Doris, Chibwe, Nicollette the concert violinist, Eric of the big afro, Adiona of the beautiful eyes who belongs to a musical group with members older than her father and Simukeliso take on the Idols stage.

Does anyone know Miss Zulu Song's name?

Peace out.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by camellie(m): 4:35pm On May 13, 2008
All said and done its quite hilarious,funny and at thesame time it show our brodas&sistas over need a lot of exposure to improve on their traditional language. cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by kaydee(m): 1:23am On May 19, 2008
what happened last night? I missed the whole shizzle.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by malaika(f): 7:10am On May 19, 2008
::
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by afrochalk: 8:12am On May 19, 2008
yeah, the zulu chik did not live upto expectations but all in all the group had some serious perfomers. The most notable was Erick, the dude with an afro, I still think he's the guy to watch and i predict that the grand finale is going to be a showdown between him and Ammara. watch the space,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Has Watched A Man Called God Season 2 / Big Brother Africa Postponed Due To Fire Incident At BBA House In SA! / Invasion 1897 - British Film Institue - Q&A Session - 7th Feb, 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.