Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,281 members, 7,839,386 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

Frank Talk About Race And Racism - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Frank Talk About Race And Racism (6007 Views)

Frank Talk: Ogbeni Aregbesola, This Is No Time To Flex Your Muscles / Frank Talk: Ogbeni Aregbesola, This Is No Time To Flex Your Muscles / Frank Talk To Our Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:36am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

This is my take on this. To be prejudice is human. We all exercise that right on a daily basis, whether we like it or not. Some claim it is intuition, others accept that it is simple pure right to be selective and that is fine too. It is legal to ascribe to whatever belief we want, it remains however illegal in the country I live in for anyone to try to weild power over me in anyway and for that I am grateful to God.

Wallahi, bros I hail you!
That is the truth, let us know that all of this crap is out there in the real world. Mentally deal with it.
Never allow it to ruin our stride as we aim for the plateau that we shall ascend upon.

Unfortunately we as black people a hindered for our lack of unification at all levels and in all societies.
The racism that we have felt by other races comes no where close to measure the one we put ourselves through on a daily basis.

I look at Haiti as a prime example, defeated Napoleans army and today Haiti is a desolate part of Haspinola check it out on google earth.
The day that we put our differences aside and forge as a collect unit (YES we can be BORG, any treckies out there know what i mean) we as a people will progress forward in leaps instead of crawling,

gaskiya! to God be the glory!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 3:37am On Mar 19, 2008
blue-sky:

your giving reasons for people being prejudice not examples of them.

these are prejudice

1) all black people are theifs
2) all men who are in parks are pedophiles.

You are using extremes as examples of prejudice.Prejudice could easily manifest itself in the form of:

1) A lot of black people are thieves
2) A lot of men in parks are pedophiles

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by peedfunk: 3:38am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

Many,if not most,prejudiced beliefs are based on facts.Many "I'slamophobes" base their prejudice on actual examples of i'slamist violence,a homophobe in W.Europe may base his prejudice on the fact that homosexuals are the biggest vectors of HIV/AIDS,e.t.c.
Prejidiced beliefs are not always based on facts. If homophobe in Europe is based on the statement in bold, what of Africa? Is HIV/AIDS the reason for prejudice against homosexuals in Africa?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Nobody: 3:40am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

You are using extremes as examples of prejudice.Prejudice could easily manifest itself in the form of:

Chineke Nna!
I never hear that one o.
Mr Nwando loves sitting at a park to relax and read novels.
I better warn him that he's being profiled.
Ojigbijigbi
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 3:40am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Wallahi, bros I hail you!
That is the truth, let us know that all of this crap is out there in the real world. Mentally deal with it.
Never allow it to ruin our stride as we aim for the plateau that we shall ascend upon.

Unfortunately we as black people a hindered for our lack of unification at all levels and in all societies.
The racism that we have felt by other races comes no where close to measure the one we put ourselves through on a daily basis.

I look at Haiti as a prime example, defeated Napoleans army and today Haiti is a desolate part of Haspinola check it out on google earth.
The day that we put our differences aside and forge as a collect unit (YES we can be BORG, any treckies out there know what i mean) we as a people will progress forward in leaps instead of crawling,

gaskiya! to God be the glory!

It is up to me to decide if Racism is the issue or not the issue.  I don't see racism as a problem at all, infact I am sure we have been raised to believe it is all wrong but somehow I believe their might be a good to it somewhere. I do not see tribalism as a problem either. I see the good in these but like everything else, there is the bad. Who knows I may one day meet a racist lion who would not even think me good enough for it to eat. LMAO!!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 3:40am On Mar 19, 2008
peedfunk:

Prejidiced beliefs are not always based on facts. If homophobe in Europe is based on the statement in bold, what of Africa? Is HIV/AIDS the reason for prejudice against homosexuals in Africa?

That is why I said "many" and also why I used a homophobe in Western Europe as example,not homophobia in general irrespective of location.

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:41am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

Who says they lack practicality?The example I used exemplifies prejudice serving a useful purpose.

Many,if not most,prejudiced beliefs are based on facts.Many "I'slamophobes" base their prejudice on actual examples of i'slamist violence,a homophobe in W.Europe may base his prejudice on the fact that homosexuals are the biggest vectors of HIV/AIDS,e.t.c.

Kobojunkie:

Do you watch SCIFI?? Try to remove yourself from your preconcieved notion of how things ought to be and maybe you will see that you have been given good ideas but because you have your mind made up, it elludes you. Get a good SCIFI move please. ALTERNATE universe be the topic and watch it.

With you, let me use the bible's example. In the Bible, over and over God tells his people not to marry the people of other tribes, other religions and so on. Do you think that is not God calling his own to be exercise prejudice beliefs? (Now I pray you are not one of those who tries to rationalize things away). God has his reasons and he points them out. I mean over and over, they are deemed unclean, unholy, inferior on some level. If a woman back turned a man down for being of a different people or different religion etc. Was she being prejudice?? If a woman today based her selection of a man on the same commands, is that prejudice?? or ok??

@ both of you 2 birds one stone

Christians used to enslave us based on this same "holy" book you are referring to, what happened?
Did they not see this Gods ominpotents, why did they stop enslaving us, did they tear those pages out, or interpret the scriptures differently? ?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 3:42am On Mar 19, 2008
nwando:

Chineke Nna!
I never hear that one o.
Mr Nwando loves sitting at a park to relax and read novels.
I better warn him that he's being profiled.
Ojigbijigbi

If na children's park,there could be suspicious eyes focused on him. grin

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JayFK(m): 3:43am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

ditto
based on what I said before, if one draws their conclusions based on their personal experiences it can't be classified as "bad", thats my point.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 3:45am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

@ both of you 2 birds one stone

Christians used to enslave us based on this same "holy" book you are referring to, what happened?
Did they not see this Gods ominpotents, why did they stop enslaving us, did they tear those pages out, or interpret the scriptures differently? ?

BUT WAIT ,  Who decides whose INTERPRETATION IS CORRECT and WHOSE is wrong ?? I mean From ALL we know of life back then, Christians and everyone else in between ENSLAVED people so it was not just those who used the book that did it. LMAO!!!! why it is Hard for you to see that your yourself seem to be coming from a seriously prejudiced area here when you consider all thoughts contrary to that which you have convinced your self is right, to be wrong and TERRIBLE?? LMAO!!

Remember when you tried to claim Adam the perfect man and I pointed out that even adam considered the other's around him inferior, you immediately shot that down but it is clearly written that that is the case.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 3:45am On Mar 19, 2008
JayFK:

ditto
based on what I said before, if one draws their conclusions based on their personal experiences it can't be classified as "bad", thats my point.

So,you agree that not all prejudices are necessarily bad in so far as they are based on "personal experiences" ?

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Nobody: 3:47am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

If na children's park,there could be suspicious eyes focused on him. grin

I don't remember what parks in England are like but here it's usually an open field with several  benches ,dog walkers,joggers and a small enclosed children's playing area.
He sometimes goes there to relax and would sometimes play a game of soccer with strangers.
No not in the kiddie enclosure
I don't think anyone whose kids are not in there would just go and sit there.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JayFK(m): 3:47am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

So,you agree that not all prejudices are necessarily bad in so far as they are based on "personal experiences" ?

Its definitely not good, definitely not bad. It's a gray area.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:52am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

BUT WAIT , Who decides whose INTERPRETATION IS CORRECT and WHOSE is wrong ?? I mean From ALL we know of life back then, Christians and everyone else in between ENSLAVED people so it was not just those who used the book that did it. LMAO!!!! why it is Hard for you to see that your yourself seem to be coming from a seriously prejudiced area here when you consider all thoughts contrary to that which you have convinced your self is right, to be wrong and TERRIBLE?? LMAO!!

Remember when you tried to claim Adam the perfect man and I pointed out that even adam considered the other's around him inferior, you immediately shot that down but it is clearly written that that is the case.

Was not adams main reason for eve being created loneliness and wanting a companion? I don't remember an inferior complex he had with the other mammals?

And their were those who used the book and preached against slavery because they knew it was morally wrong!!!

What have I been prejudiced about please do not say such crap, and i never claimed perfection, I too have my prejudice beliefs, does that make it right nooo!!! I have always stated that all humans prejudiced,

You see the good in racism and prejudice good for you, the world will never change as long as people with this mind set exist, don't worry it is getting better generation by generation.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:53am On Mar 19, 2008
JayFK:

Its definitely not good, definitely not bad. It's a gray area.

So you can be prejudice based on personal experience, na wa oo
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 3:54am On Mar 19, 2008
4 Play:

1) a lot of black people are theives, so i will cross the road when i see a black person.
2) a lot of men in parks are pedophiles, so i will not allow my child to play in park, rather stay at home.

this is my take on this. To be prejudice is human. We all exercise that right on a daily basis, whether we like it or not. Some claim it is intuition, others accept that it is simple pure right to be selective and that is fine too. It is legal to ascribe to whatever belief we want, it remains however illegal in the country I live in for anyone to try to weild power over me in anyway and for that I am grateful to God.

feel u bro!

@ nwando
haha parks were little kiddies play
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 4:04am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Was not adams main reason for eve being created loneliness and wanting a companion? I don't remember an inferior complex he had with the other mammals?

God created Eve as his helper and companion but when it came time for him to name Eve, he decided to go for the fact that she was made from his side and not cause he saw her as his helper and companion. Only later was she given the name Eve, cause she was mother of all living.  You could read that to mean he did not really see her as his equal but an extract from himself. LMAO!!

And their were those who used the book and preached against slavery because they knew it was morally wrong!!!

How can you use a book that preaches in favour of masters having slaves, to preach against slavery effectively.  Beats me but it has worked but the book does not abolish slavery or call for abolishment of slavery at all. Mind you in the world we live in today, we have successfully switched from one dominant form of slavery to another.

What have I been prejudiced about please do not say such crap, and i never claimed perfection, I too have my prejudice beliefs, does that make it right nooo!!! I have always stated that all humans prejudiced,

Your conclusion that all persons who are racists, homophobic etc are prejudice and hence have bad views is a prejudice view in itself as it is not based on justice but preformed judgment of your own.

You see the good in racism and prejudice good for you, the world will never change as long as people with this mind set exist, don't worry it is getting better generation by generation.

What makes you think or believe the the problem in the world today is the people with the racist mindset or the prejudice mind set?? Why do you not think instead that the problem could be people who think that all formc of prejudice is bad

Another Wack Example : I have a neighbour who happens to be a racist and I have lived next door to him for 20 years. My neighbour has minds his business and I mind mine. But then some weeks ago, a new person moves in across the street and finds out that my next door neighbour is a racist. This new comer decides to take it upon himself to engage my neighbour of 20 years and attack him verbally for being a racist. Do you really think the racist is the problem in this case??
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by naijaway(m): 4:06am On Mar 19, 2008
if obama was white or latino with the same personality and a black was something like the other candidates, i would've liked the latino or white. Just because obama is black doesn't qualify him but his intelligence and maturity does. Hail to obama and those who are against him don't have any real reason more than they have on the other candidates but they rather play racism or devil's advocate.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Him(m): 4:09am On Mar 19, 2008
blue-sky:

1) a lot of black people are theives, so i will cross the road when i see a black person.
2) a lot of men in parks are pedophiles, so i will not allow my child to play in park, rather stay at home.

A little stereotype isnt bad. When i'm in the north i cross to the other side of the street when i come anywhere close to a market full of mallams.
Am i being racist?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 4:09am On Mar 19, 2008
4Him:

A little stereotype isnt bad. When i'm in the north i cross to the other side of the street when i come anywhere close to a market full of mallams.
Am i being racist?

WhO WOKE HIM UP LMAO!!!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:13am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

What makes you think or believe the the problem in the world today is the people with the racist mindset or the prejudice mind set?? Why do you not think instead that the problem could be people who think that all formc of prejudice is bad

Another Wack Example : I have a neighbour who happens to be a racist and I have lived next door to him for 20 years. My neighbour has minds his business and I mind mine. But then some weeks ago, a new person moves in across the street and finds out that my next door neighbour is a racist. This new comer decides to take it upon himself to engage my neighbour of 20 years and attack him verbally for being a racist. Do you really think the racist is the problem in this case??

I said the problem with black people is racism and prejudice against ourselves, lack of unification
Do people who think prejudice are bad go and carry out prejudice attacks?

your 20 year neighbour is a racist and thats not good, your new neighbour is also backwards,
If you neighbour heard yelling coming from your house would he do anything or continue minding his own business, your new neighbour would try and see 'wa gwan'
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 4:17am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

I said the problem with black people is racism and prejudice against ourselves, lack of unification
Do people who think prejudice are bad go and carry out prejudice attacks?

your 20 year neighbour is a racist and thats not good, your new neighbour is also backwards,
If you neighbour heard yelling coming from your house would he do anything or continue minding his own business, your new neighbour would try and see 'wa gwan'

See,  again prejudice based on what ??  Where does it say or have you heard that racist people are insensitive people?? Or all racists want to kill or see blacks killed?? LMAO!!! And How did you sum that my new Neighbour will be the one to come to my help instead of say running under his own bed  to save his own life?? LMAO!!! dude,  quit already , LMAO!!! I almost choked on my oat meal laughing , :LMAO!!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:20am On Mar 19, 2008
4Him:

Am i being racist?

Now why would you cross the street, mallams are more trusted then nyameri business men! Those are who I run from ooo, let alone just walk across the street. LMAO, Am I being racist?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 4:22am On Mar 19, 2008
4Him:

Am i being racist?

what is a mallam?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:23am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

See, again prejudice based on what ?? Where does it say or have you heard that racist people are insensitive people?? Or all racists want to kill or see blacks killed?? LMAO!!! And How did you sum that my new Neighbour will be the one to come to my help instead of say running under his own bed to save his own life?? LMAO!!! dude, quit already , LMAO!!! I almost choked on my oat meal laughing , :LMAO!!!

What would you bet on the opposite scenario.

rac·ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm]

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Him(m): 4:24am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Now why would you cross the street, mallams are more trusted then nyameri business men! Those are who I run from ooo, let alone just walk across the street. LMAO, Am I being racist?

No you're not being racist. Stereotypes are what feed our prejudice . . the stereotype that the typical mallam is a blood-thirsty scoundrel seeking to plunge his well concealed knife into ur throat at the first sound of allahu akbar.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Him(m): 4:25am On Mar 19, 2008
blue-sky:

what is a mallam?

is'lamic scholar.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 4:25am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

What would you bet on the opposite scenario.

rac·ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm]

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races

All that points to is a belief in one's race being superior and a hate or intolerance for other races. Nothing says need to kill or see those who are inferior dead though? Why compute that since they hate, means they want to see me dead or butchered by another??
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:29am On Mar 19, 2008
4Him:

No you're not being racist. Stereotypes are what feed our prejudice . . the stereotype that the typical mallam is a blood-thirsty scoundrel seeking to plunge his well concealed knife into your throat at the first sound of allahu akbar.

And why do we continue to feed these stereotypes?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:32am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

All that points to is a belief in one's race being superior and a hate or intolerance for other races. Nothing says need to kill or see those who are inferior dead though? Why compute that since they hate, means they want to see me dead or butchered by another??

It's good to be a racist and hate others awesome!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Him(m): 4:33am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

And why do we continue to feed these stereotypes?

The average white man thinks blacks are intellectually inferior, do we help dispell this "myth" when a large percentage of black teens in America will drop out of school, 30% of black males are in jail and Africa remains a hellhole?
Still wondering what feeds these stereotypes?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 4:35am On Mar 19, 2008
4Him:

The average white man thinks blacks are intellectually inferior, do we help dispell this "myth" when a large percentage of black teens in America will drop out of school, 30% of black males are in jail and Africa remains a hellhole?
Still wondering what feeds these stereotypes?

LMAO!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities / Senator Oluremi Tinubu To Award N13 Million Grant To Petty Traders / Elrufai Says Buhari Is Better Than Obasanjo!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.