Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,126 members, 7,838,864 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Frank Talk About Race And Racism - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Frank Talk About Race And Racism (6005 Views)

Frank Talk: Ogbeni Aregbesola, This Is No Time To Flex Your Muscles / Frank Talk: Ogbeni Aregbesola, This Is No Time To Flex Your Muscles / Frank Talk To Our Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 6:09am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

I get case wey I go analyze for 2morrow class, we go hammer heads some more on this issue later but untill than let me leave with a quote:

"Unity without verity [truth] is no better than conspiracy" - Puritan John Trapp

You got that right!!! LMAO!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Nobody: 6:53am On Mar 19, 2008
@most some posts.

I know hypocrisy will in one way or the other find it's way into thread.

Looking forward to more revalations.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by TCUBE(m): 7:47am On Mar 19, 2008
abt the obama pastor issue,

Ilets look at the facts rather color, the american media is afraid of discussing what rev wright said, I agree with the pastor 100% , all what he said are backed by facts. The bottom line is that america is a society of lies and deciet , the only way people get along is by lying. We all know the pastor's comments are true abt the injustice of white america but yet we ignore the facts and all we focus on is the candidate who in my own view is the victim of racial injustice

Like Bill o'reilly said and I quote "we shouldnt not allow the statue of power (white male leadership) change",

Obama knows that his pastor is right but like the saying goes "u gotta behave like a monkey to catch a monkey"
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Uche2nna(m): 2:35pm On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

So I hope you see now how not ALL Slavery is wrong. I am not quick to condemning most everything without considering all possible sides is my point here. In some cases, I accept an absolute answer but in other cases, I am open to considering sides and weighing evidence, just like everyone else is , LMAO!!!

Slavery is a social-economic system under which certain persons — known as slaves — are deprived of personal freedom and compelled to perform labour or services
@ Kobo,
Is it just me or do u always tend to misconstrue or generalise terms. How does the tale of the rich man and the poor guy relate to slavery. He is working to pay off his debt , within a specified amount of time. Technically, he is earning a living. How does to relate to the kidnapping of the black man from the continent of Africa and sold to work on plantations because that was all they were supposedly good for.

And again u are trying to tie up prejudice and instinct onto one apron. Thos words are not the same. Instincts elicit a biological response (tho sometimes u might be unaware of it) like adrenaline rush or sth. Prejudice does not have anything to do with that. It is purely a pre concieved idea based on other people's experiences, facts , opinions or even hear say.
U dont need social contacts to develop ur instinct. It is a congenital thing. However, social contact play a huge role in defining what is good or bad and in turn defines our prejudices.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Blatant: 3:35pm On Mar 19, 2008
poster, I had never considered myself someone who could react to racism. As a matter of fact, I denied claims of racism from some of my friends until I decided that I should reside permanently in 'the land of the white man'. the city I live in is predominantly white and you only need to hear stories of what happens to non-white people for you to start reacting and becoming bitter towards them.

I know that I may never have suffered from racism as much as many other people but I do realise that my attitude has changed with regards to other races as a result of my experiences and the things that I hear about.

To sum it up, if white people never showed me racism, I'd never have anything but normal human love for EVERY human being
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 6:13pm On Mar 19, 2008
Uche2nna:

Slavery is a social-economic system under which certain persons — known as slaves — are deprived of personal freedom and compelled to perform labour or services
@ Kobo,
Is it just me or do u always tend to misconstrue or generalise terms. How does the tale of the rich man and the poor guy relate to slavery. He is working to pay off his debt , within a specified amount of time. Technically, he is earning a living. How does to relate to the kidnapping of the black man from the continent of Africa and sold to work on plantations because that was all they were supposedly good for.

Here is the problem @Uchenna, remember how you pointed out earlier that justice is itself relative?? You can sort of apply the same here. Slavery does not have just one definition. It is not about evil. I mean look in the old days to how even our own ancestors used it and some use it to this day. It is a contract. What we do is when we try to over sentimentalize these things, we decide only one of the definitions count and throw the others away. If you look back in history, slavery had been considered a way of paying off debt as in the example I gave you. You need to open a bible to get the story yourself. It still exists to this day even in the civilized and under developed worlds in different ways, only that we do not want to call it slavery but something else. Does that mean it is no longer slavery?? NO, just that we in our rush to make things sound or appear better to us, we try to twist things. Research these words and ideas for a bit and you will see what I mean.

Here is the Dictionary meaning for the same word ,

slav·er·y (slv-r, slvr)
n. pl. slav·er·ies
1. The state of one bound in servitude as the property of a slaveholder or household.
a. The practice of owning slaves.
b. A mode of production in which slaves constitute the principal work force.
3. The condition of being subject or addicted to a specified influence.
4. A condition of hard work and subjection: wage slavery.

Main Entry: slav·ery  Pronunciation: \ˈslā-v(ə-)rē\
Function: noun
Date: 1551
1: drudgery, toil
2: submission to a dominating influence
3 a: the state of a person who is a chattel of another b: the practice of slaveholding

And again u are trying to tie up prejudice and instinct onto one apron. Thos words are not the same. Instincts elicit a biological response (tho sometimes u might be unaware of it) like adrenaline rush or sth. Prejudice does not have anything to do with that. It is purely a pre concieved idea based on other people's experiences, facts , opinions or even hear say.
You don't need social contacts to develop your instinct. It is a congenital thing. However, social contact play a huge role in defining what is good or bad and in turn defines our prejudices.

You are right in your definition of instincts but what I was trying to point out is that both seem a bit related if you dig deep into how they are each used. Prejudice is not always necessarily based on other people's experiences or facts. They can also be from ideas we cook out out of fear of the unknown. Social contact does not always play a role in defining our prejudices. Fear can drive people to cook up anything they can all by themselves about another being, thing or situation. Sort of like how intuition works. A child who has never seen an indian kid before could actually develop some sort of forejudgment about indians even from a distance. Is that possible?? Definitely. Like I have said from beginning to now, I don't believe all forms of prejudice is wrong. I gave the example of how something that is not ok in one place maybe ok in another, does not mean it is universally one way or the other.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 12:21pm On Mar 20, 2008
Blatant:

poster, I had never considered myself someone who could react to racism. As a matter of fact, I denied claims of racism from some of my friends until I decided that I should reside permanently in 'the land of the white man'. the city I live in is predominantly white and you only need to hear stories of what happens to non-white people for you to start reacting and becoming bitter towards them.

I know that I may never have suffered from racism as much as many other people but I do realise that my attitude has changed with regards to other races as a result of my experiences and the things that I hear about.

To sum it up, if white people never showed me racism, I'd never have anything but normal human love for EVERY human being

Every single race has individuals who have suffered racism from people of other races-blacks at the hands of whites and vice-versa,blacks vs Asians,blacks vs Arabs,Arabs vs Kurds,e.t.c Using the justification you applied in your post,every race has a good reason for its racism.

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:34pm On Mar 20, 2008
Blatant:

How can you actually ascertain that if 'white people had not shown you racism you would have had love for every human' The fact that you do not have love for every human should no way be blamed on the white man. This is a ddecsion that you made on your own, based on the poor experiences you have had. I have had bad experiences with ALL races, but I treat human beings equally and deviate only at the personal level
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Blatant: 4:56pm On Mar 25, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

How can you actually ascertain that if 'white people had not shown you racism you would have had love for every human' The fact that you do not have love for every human should no way be blamed on the white man. This is a ddecsion that you made on your own, based on the poor experiences you have had. I have had bad experiences with ALL races, but I treat human beings equally and deviate only at the personal level

You do assume that I have always suffered from racism. If you go back to read my post, you'll discover I said that I experienced racism when I moved location. I have always had love for ALL human beings, and still do but I dont know if I can love someone if I see them in terms of their white race
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by davidif: 11:27pm On Aug 29, 2008
yes o, denying the existence of racism is like denying the existence of gravity.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Horus(m): 5:56pm On Nov 15, 2008

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding / We‘re On Top Of The Situation – GEJ: Visits UN House / Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Addressing Panel At Stock Market Probe - Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.