Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,913 members, 7,838,258 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency (22516 Views)

The Newly-coined Full Meaning Of B-U-H-A-R-I / Who Coined The Word '9ja' and 'Naija'? / What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by oboy3(m): 10:57pm On Mar 01, 2013
Billyonaire: its good to know that he gave our currency the name, although I truly dont know the meaning of "Naira" but I heard he committed suicide in order to exit honorably having been caught red-handed planning a takeover. Is it true ?
#pin drop silence#
#crickets Chirping#
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Cusubaba(m): 11:03pm On Mar 01, 2013
Billyonaire: its good to know that he gave our currency the name, although I truly dont know the meaning of "Naira" but I heard he committed suicide in order to exit honorably having been caught red-handed planning a takeover. Is it true ?
hahahaha....it's true. His name is Awocoward. That coward tribal bigot drank rat poison and died. May his soul continue to rest in pieces.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by seanet01: 11:13pm On Mar 01, 2013
You heard that your real father committed suicide and you are making jest?
You probably don't know it was Awolowo who run the pipe into that tunnel which produced you.

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:18pm On Mar 01, 2013

Billyonaire, Have U seen berem? She was looking for you. Guess she wanna suq'urdick.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by waaliano: 11:38pm On Mar 01, 2013
That means the Awolowo suppose to be collecting something from seun about this forum.Awolowo founded naira,seun founded nairaland.seun only add land.i think seun has to pay awolowo for using his word.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by waaliano: 11:48pm On Mar 01, 2013
Awolowo coined naira.seun founded nairaland.that means seun suppose to be paying awolowo for using the name he coined to create forum that fetch him money or else...
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by bandb: 2:07am On Mar 02, 2013
So why deny all the atrocities linked to him since he was the brain of the govt.

Tolexander: that is something i wouldn't doubt cos he seems to be the greatest man that masterminded every good thing and victory during those times.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Tolexander: 3:36am On Mar 02, 2013
bandb: So why deny all the atrocities linked to him since he was the brain of the govt.

what is deny and which atrocities?
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by DollyParton1(f): 11:40am On Mar 02, 2013
Haters Igbo gonn hate when Awo's name is being brought up... Accept it, that guy was a legend... those who benefited from the free education can attest to that...

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 02, 2013
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 02, 2013
One_naira:
Btw: before calling someone "unintelligent" make sure you know how to spell and write. it is "realized" not "realised". It's a "z", not an "s". Also it's "unintelligent", not "unintelligence" but then again you might be the product of free Awolowo education so I am not surprised.
i promised myself not to reply you, but i cannot help but do just dat because you've just fuc.king shot urself in the foot. Gosh..i'm practically laughing my a$s off! Dude dis is nigeria and officially we speak british english not american english, so it is 'realised' not 'realized'..but then its possible you don't know dat. Ur ojukwu didn't provide you "free education". And since fellaz like you can't afford education even at the cheapest rate.,well,.... *shrugs*
And if i were to agree dat there's nothing like unintelligence there's still nothing like "...stinks of unintelligent" damn! wtf?!
You can keep kissing my yoruba a$s for all i care..since dats what ur good at
Phucking coc.k-sucking ibo..

Damn..I still can't stop laughing! grin
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by T9ksy(m): 2:16pm On Mar 02, 2013
Awo's legacy................

=First profound Educational System in Africa that left a people educationally outlying others even till today in the country...

=Founding the Legacy for a University that at the time of its creation was the 5th most valuable real estate in the third world and still is the best in Nigeria

=The First Television Station in Africa when a large part of Europe didn't have one...and England had just had one less than a decade before

=Minister of Finance of a country, employed from jail, who managed the country without a single debt, leaving a trade surplus during war and peace time, a feat that not even Britain's PMs could not achieve....

=A man awarded to do a doctorate Study in Economics for the prestigious foremost UK university-Oxford without an MSc in Economics..

=One still studied in the East in the area of Political Studies in a subject called Awoism

=First Skyscraper Building in Nigeria

=First and only leader in black Africa to institute a functioning Free Health Sysytem for His region for years....all these without the oil money of the present day

=Produced proteges who have also achieved great feats in the country like Jakande, Bola Ige etc... Still remains the Single Icon/mentor of Achievers like Governor Fashola

=Prime Minister of Britain Ed Heath confessed that Awo was fit and would succeed as President of the US and Prime Minister of England...No other testimony impresses me like this...Up till today, it has never been said of any African or Middle Eastern or Asian Leader...

Zik's legacy............

ACM10:

Need I mention them? Top of the list is that Zik was at the forefront of the fight for Nigeria's independence. He was a selfless leader who was willing to make the painful political compromise to favour the whole nation. He made compromises to the detriment of his tribe; to the detriment of his political career. This is why Zik is not celebrated in the east. Cos in his bid to appease other tribes, he forgot to bring back our share of national cake.

Nigeria still remembers Zik up till today. That is why they name many national monuments, streets, airports, etc were named after him.

QED.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by emmalexabl(m): 3:37pm On Mar 02, 2013
dayokanu:

When I tell you MOST Igbos ARE ILLITERATES dem go dey vex.

How can you name something after yourself 3 days after your death?

OAU was university of Ife up till 1987 after Awolowos death when it was changed
And most Yarobbers(COWARDS) have SUICIDAL tendencies, reason why AWO chose the path of the coward... S
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by dayokanu(m): 3:39pm On Mar 02, 2013
emmalexabl:
And most Yarobbers(COWARDS) have SUICIDAL tendencies, reason why AWO chose the path of the coward... S

You should know that the greatest act of cowardice is when a warlord flees warfront like Ojuku did.

Its well documented Ojuku is the greatest coward this country has ever seen

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by dulphines: 3:53pm On Mar 02, 2013
Tolexander: dullthings or what is ur name? Can u modify your post to english language for better communication!
And u think me, Chief Onyegekwu has time for you? Agwo, agwo agwo, takwaa gi there!

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Tolexander: 4:49pm On Mar 02, 2013
dulphines:
And u think me, Chief Onyegekwu has time for you? Agwo, agwo agwo, takwaa gi there!
you are still failing to communicate. I understand english is not our mother tongue but at least, you can still try to convince me you are more learned that i feel.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 02, 2013
oh well, they say kobo is from ibos who called penny a kobo

simply goes to show one awolowo idea is worth a hundred ibo ideas cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by oturugo(m): 5:41pm On Mar 02, 2013
oyb: oh well, they say kobo is from ibos who called penny a kobo

simply goes to show one awolowo idea is worth a hundred ibo ideas cheesy
shut up.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by T9ksy(m): 6:13pm On Mar 02, 2013
oturugo:
shut up.

Why? Are you this allergic to the truth?

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by dulphines: 9:05pm On Mar 02, 2013
Tolexander: you are still failing to communicate. I understand english is not our mother tongue but at least, you can still try to convince me you are more learned that i feel.
I'm still searching for the word "AWOLOWO" in the dictionary. If i find it, then i'l respond to you accordingly. The same crop of Nigerians that will speak their language even in an interview. Ole xander or whatever you nicknamed yourself, go catch some sleep, remember 2mrw is sunday, so u dn't arrive late.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by dulphines: 9:16pm On Mar 02, 2013
Tolexander: you are still failing to communicate. I understand english is not our mother tongue but at least, you can still try to convince me you are more learned that i feel.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Neddyogu(m): 10:02pm On Mar 02, 2013
Policewoman: So how does this affect the price of fuel in the market?
or that which must not be named? Garium sulphate.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 03, 2013
1) D lesson of dis thread is dat awolowo is only respected by his fellow cowards. Even hausa ppl regard him with disdain. Evn Gowon would rather call ojukwu a rebel but neva a coward. Rebels r never cowards; wherever dayokanu got d idea he left d battle field.

2) All dose legacies aside d free education were not due to Awolowo. If u guys are ignorant,say so. Today, igbos are d most educated. D tym many of us stopped sch because of d immediate post-war period has passed, hasnt it?

3) Awolowo was extremely tribalistic, @ dat initial stage of Nigeria, many odas had more of nationalistic views eg H. Macauley, Zik, Okpara, he was busy being tribalistic and had to die miserably for dat.
4) @ Tolexander, if u feel starvation and blockade policies because of his hope to b made a president but later trashed is victorious for u, den u too are on a long thing.

5) for dose of u trying to compare zik and Awo, stop d madness. He is Zik of Africa n d oda is Awo of Yoruba, not to say its a bad title o.
If u ppl think we should do a standing ovation for d person dt named d naira, den wat will be done for d one dt got 9ja independence in d most civilised manner in Africa?

Yet u have refused to explain y he killed himself, oh sorry,anoda victorious thing. If na so life dey pain una, make una go hug transformer one by one.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by T9ksy(m): 12:22pm On Mar 03, 2013
ngozievergreen: 1) D lesson of dis thread is dat awolowo is only respected by his fellow cowards. Even hausa ppl regard him with disdain. Evn Gowon would rather call ojukwu a rebel but neva a coward. Rebels r never cowards; wherever dayokanu got d idea he left d battle field.

2) All dose legacies aside d free education were not due to Awolowo. If u guys are ignorant,say so. Today, igbos are d most educated. D tym many of us stopped sch because of d immediate post-war period has passed, hasnt it?

3) Awolowo was extremely tribalistic, @ dat initial stage of Nigeria,many odas had more of nationalistic views eg H. Macauley, Zik, Okpara, he was busy being tribalistic and had to die miserably for dat.
4) @ Tolexander, if u feel starvation and blockade policies because of his hope to b made a president but later trashed is victorious for u, den u too are on a long thing.

5) for dose of u trying to compare zik and Awo, stop d madness. He is Zik of Africa n d oda is Awo of Yoruba, not to say its a bad title o.
If u ppl think we should do a standing ovation for d person dt named d naira, den wat will be done for d one dt got 9ja independence in d most civilised manner in Africa?

Yet u have refused to explain y he killed himself, oh sorry,anoda victorious thing. If na so life dey pain una, make una go hug transformer one by one.

Mods, abeg move the post above to the Jokes section, jo.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Tolexander: 2:21pm On Mar 03, 2013
dulphines:
I'm still searching for the word "AWOLOWO" in the dictionary. If i find it, then i'l respond to you accordingly. The same crop of Nigerians that will speak their language even in an interview. Ole xander or whatever you nicknamed yourself, go catch some sleep, remember 2mrw is sunday, so u dn't arrive late.
while other people are abusing their power, wealth and intelligence, you are busy here abusing your god-given stupidity. Continue checking for awolowo in the dictionary. Don't forget to check for Ojukwu, azikwe and buhari.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Tolexander: 2:38pm On Mar 03, 2013
ngozievergreen: 1) D lesson of dis thread is dat awolowo is only respected by his fellow cowards. Even hausa ppl regard him with disdain. Evn Gowon would rather call ojukwu a rebel but neva a coward. Rebels r never cowards; wherever dayokanu got d idea he left d battle field.
a man can be both a coward and a rebel bt the same time. Where was ojukwu when his deputy was surrendering? Why didn't he wait to surrender before fleeing to ivory coast?

ngozievergreen:

3) Awolowo was extremely tribalistic, @ dat initial stage of Nigeria, many odas had more of nationalistic views eg H. Macauley, Zik, Okpara, he was busy being tribalistic and had to die miserably for dat.
it is called strategy. If Ojukwu had the chance, he would do better. Rather he chose propaganda as his weapon.
ngozievergreen:

please stop bothering me with the same thing over and over. I like people that bring me new things and idea cos with that, i can develope.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 03, 2013
Did he know what it meant?..cos I for one would love to know what it means
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by pazienza(m): 3:53pm On Mar 03, 2013
Degis: p

Who is this idioit!. Did Awolowo ever went to jail the second time?. I don't blame you, it is those imbecilic opinion moulders in your village that are feeding you with lies. You and your tribesmen are just tools in the hands of morons. Awolowo did not take his life, your brother Ojukwu rather was the one who took his own life. Ode o shi

He was given the option of jail or exile by IBB,for commiting treason against IBB government like he did the first time against tafawa balewa,the coward rather than face the consequences of his action,chose to take his life. That's the pathetic life of a man some people termed the 'sage'.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by belovedaja(m): 4:30pm On Mar 03, 2013
991: i heard from a reliable anecdotal source that the secret meaning of the naira is -:

N - Never
A - Allow
I - Igbos
R - Rule
A - Again
yes i heard it too
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 03, 2013
I know a bunch of you folks here throwing insults around went to church a few hrs ago. A lot of you would be judged tho
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 03, 2013
Hahahahahahahahaha.
Message passed.
*End of discussion*
next time , u guys shd bring up a beta person with beta achievements.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by bilms(m): 10:09pm On Mar 03, 2013
How do some people enjoy insulting each other on mere issue that require understanding and maturity.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Breaking News: Former PDP Spokesperson, Dayo Adeyeye Decamps To APC / APC Lawmakers Allege PDP Plot Against Buhari On Tuesday / PDP Reschedule Dates For Primary Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.