Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Games You Played As A Child? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Games You Played As A Child? (17003 Views)

I Have 4 Spirits Guarding Me, I Had A Child At 19 – Ooni Of Ife / Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? / A Man Cannot Claim A Child If He Did Not Marry The Mother (igbos Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Games You Played As A Child? by topkin(m): 12:40am On Mar 20, 2008
What Games Did You Play When You Were "Small"?

Just reflecting on those good old days.

Grew up and still say in Festac. Used to play a lot of "Table Soccer". Meeen, those days were good. Getting all those cock screws, filling them with wax to make them stronger, especially the keeper. Numbering them with numbers cut out frm calenders and making posts frm sugar packs or paper. You culd see the enthusiasm and the joy when u won a match. We even fought over it.

Also used to play with "Agbalumo" (Cherry) seeds. The "Pando" was the big seed and we had so may games we could play with Agbalumo seeds.

What about "Pilolo" - hiding sticks and tring to find them. Also "Father May I", "Green and Red"-------- those good old days, how much i miss them.

The one i loved most was "Police and Thief". Oh! That was one hell of a game. Even the girls wanted to play then. Police and thief was one lovely game that we really enjoyed. It goes on and on. I really enjoyed my childhood days and feel nostalgic bout it. wish I could play those games again.

What about you? What games did you play?
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by bigfather(m): 2:23am On Mar 20, 2008
Mummy and Daddy
BojuBoju: HIDE AND SEEK
Suwe
Touch and Play
Police and Theif.
grin grin grin
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by iice(f): 5:39am On Mar 20, 2008
Bojuboju
Cops and Robbers - we used to play this on hills and rocks
Cowboys and Indians - same places we played cops and robbers
Pilolo
Playing with canta (bottle caps)
Wrestling grin grin all with socks, pant and cape grin grin
We'd take our crib (w/ wheels) - our street was long and sloppy with lotsa bumps - we'd take the crib to the highest point, climb in and then take off, holding the sides to stir our way down grin grin
I was very stubborn and mostly played games with boys. . .had no interest in girly games except jump rope for which i used the ropes to scale rocks grin grin
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by cashoggy(f): 12:01pm On Mar 20, 2008
Boju-Boju, Boko-Booko, Hide & Seek, Ten-Ten, Rope-Skipping, Who-is-in-d-Gaadin? grin
Suwee, and this other game that two teams (of two or more members each) will queue behind each other and will be pulling the person in front until the stronger team pulls to itself the opposing team. And, and , eem, making bags from cigarette packs, making cars with sugar packs, cooking with sand and playing family, Oh, sweet oooold days where people (children) related very well without bitterness or grudges. We would quarell and reconcile! These adult days, hmn, God help adults
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 8:31pm On Mar 20, 2008
Played a lot ooh! grin

Ten-ten, i was a master
Hawa
Suwe.
Police and thief
Green light, Red light

Hand games

Rounders

Treasure hunt

Who stole the meat from the cooking pot

Board games like
Monopoly
ludo
scrabble
snakes n ladder

still play these tho

Video games like
Duck hunt on family comp tongue
Atari games
Nintendo, sega e.t.c

Dolls,
we played wit dolls, teddies
made clothes for them

LEgo, had a huge container

We played with Sand, leafs
we did family plays and all
mother, father, children thingy.

Growing up was so FUN
miss it cry
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Mar 20, 2008
bojuboju
match
we used to climb on trees
man, i forgot what you call this game. . throwing a stone and jumping into drawn squares with one feet
this hand clapping game
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 9:45pm On Mar 20, 2008
man, i forgot what you call this game. . throwing a stone and jumping into drawn squares with one feet
its suwe.

Name. Animal, Place, Food, Thing.

Jangilova

Fire on the mountain
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Arielle: 9:57pm On Mar 20, 2008
My brothers and I would roll back the carpet in our playroom, sprinkle powder liberally all over the bare floor, wear our socks and proceed to 'skate', pretending we were on "Stars on ice". My Mum caught us and the carpet was promptly glued to the floor.
We used to play monopoly a lot. Those little silver motor cars used to fascinate me.
We had a huge tub of play-doh. We used to call them plasticine.
Hop-scotch. We had a local name for it ,then. Not hop-scotch. Does anyone remember?
We had loads of LEGO.
TEN-TEN. In different forms with different songs, taught by my play mates. I liked the Ibo songs the best, even though I didn't understand them.
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 10:03pm On Mar 20, 2008
The hopscotch thingy is suwe.

We used to have wrestling matches on the bed. Royal rumble

We used to jump over our couch pretending we were Olympic Jumpers

We used to sing in the fan, pretending we had the best voices cheesy
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Ibime(m): 10:24pm On Mar 20, 2008
I remember those days - lovely days. We used to play:

War Start
Counterball
Spoke and Wheel
Catcher
Knack am down
Closest to the wall
Promoting - acrobatics contest
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by showbobo(m): 10:25pm On Mar 20, 2008
WOOW.Good old days. Ya'll are making me reminisce.I wish i could turn back the hands of time cry cry cry
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by lucabrasi(m): 10:33pm On Mar 20, 2008
we were mostly arcade and wwf types

mortal kombat

street fighter
street fighter combo
terminator(astalavista,baby)
mario bros(wayyyyyy back)

cant rem the rest ,
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by AKO1(m): 10:45pm On Mar 20, 2008
lucabrasi:

we were mostly arcade and wwf types

mortal kombat

street fighter
street fighter combo
terminator(astalavista,baby)
mario bros(wayyyyyy back)

can't rem the rest ,

LOL e be lyk say u be 'rich kid'

Me too I sabi game when I dey small e.g. BRICK GAME.

I can never forget those TERMINATOR 2 consoles that u had to buy catridges for. The ones that had game sin them wld say "999,999 games" yet it was just ten games and the rest were e.g Mario 101, Mario 102 etc.LOL!!!!!!

Then there was this thingy, cant rememba what it is called but it had water in it with two spikes and u had to press two buttons, left nd right to pass small loops over the rings.

Of course, good old 5-a-side soccer (HEALTH BALL) with no shoes on in brown sand, usually ended with a few bruises. Those dayz u no dare tan soccer wif ur socks cos that one translates serious spanking!!!

Musical chairs, highlight of most 'aunty gimme cake' parties, there are too many mehn,
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by tlops(m): 10:55pm On Mar 20, 2008
boj booju, business man buying and selling , using labels from bread as currency we were all guys so no mummy and daddy play except occassionally at my cousins' place, table soccer  (conter-ideri oti). drawing of comics, I drew so much that i had to stop drawing. I draw graffiti on the walls and my mum's wardrobe. then at night i see the drawings move, so i had to stop drawing. police and thief=hide nd seek/jackie chan. draft,street football that lands me in punishments.

game and watch, bricks game, ludo, snke and ladder, our version of bowling with tins and (Shuku agbado) maize shaft or sucked oranges. plucking of fruits after school etc
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Bawss1(m): 11:01pm On Mar 20, 2008
My childhood was wonderful

played police and thief
counter football
Ballee( dunno how to spell it but was pronounced ball-a) some kind of ball game played in a court we would draw in the street
Tires. We used to run round the hood pushing used tires. My mom bought me my first tires grin smiley
tick tick one
War start.( with rubber bands as weapons)
wwf
gosh there were loads of games we used to play back then! T'was mighty fun growing up where I did cheesy
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by tlops(m): 11:09pm On Mar 20, 2008
then in school JS 1 : royal rumble,pillow fight, jackpot, name animal place or thing, time factor, cricket, monopoly
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by area(m): 11:16pm On Mar 20, 2008
growing up right? who does not want go back in time, my guy thumbs up 4 you jo but e be like say your own no sweet like my ow but in the not to long you can i publish you jist in magazine i wanna, todd_eye147@yahoo.com
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by topkin(m): 11:18pm On Mar 20, 2008
I also remember playing
"Father May I?";
"Boju Boju"
"Green/Red"
"Wrestling"
"Suwe"
"Catcher"
"Island Ball"
We used to act plays, cook in the bush (we'll actually steal all sorts of food stuffs and ingredients frm home and actuall act Daddy, Mummy and Son/Daughter;
We Ran races and sometimes it was a Real competition with a prize tag
"Long Jump"
"High JumP"-------- Ah! Omo i play wen i small o! Wish i culd go back to those good old days!

At night we would bring out our mats sit down in circles and listen to folk tales, we sang together----- O my God! Those days were VERY GOOD. And after the tales, we used to say that if the story was a lie, let our mouth not make a particular hollow sound we made with our finger in our mouth, remember? God! I really miss my childhood days  cry  I feel nostalgic
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by yongbabe(f): 11:25pm On Mar 20, 2008
in naija i played

suwe
ten-ten
police catch thief.
name game
mortal combat ( ma bros used to kick my ass every time in this game)
mario bros ( gave up playin after a while due to my lack of skill grin)
skippin
boju boju
who stole the meat from the coocking pot.
lotsa other games where you sing but i have forgotten the names.
Mummy and Daddy.
cooking ( used to take ma mums tomatoes and rice, to try too cook with my frends later. we always ended up with a gooey mess but it was fun).
ma brothers used to go swiming at rivers. N bribe us not to tell with unripe mangoes. usually we all ate d mangoes n got very sicktongue

we used to go out and play at construction sites, and comeback in the eveing covered in sand.
my mom would then make us take a bath with freezing water cheesy
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by chrysler(m): 11:25pm On Mar 20, 2008
I have been endlessly for someone to post this thread, although i would have but don`t know how to post a topic, pls help o b4 sumtin else happens.

About the topic, my youthful age was quite memorable and glorious,

Forget the fact that we played mortal kombat, e.t.c make we talk real naija games,

The first was Father and mother with a child, this was the most interesting to me at that time because their were lots of ungodly acts i did aroud that time that even when i think back today, i just laugh,

the second was boju boju o,o,oloro nbo o, eparamo o,o, se kinsi,si,enitoloro bamu,a paje nio, this was also one very interesting game that reminds me of my youthful age,

Thirdly was climbing on trees to pluck whatever fruit was on that tree that was ripe and staying on the trees to eat it.

Fourthly was stealing money in daddy or mummy`s purse to pay to rent bicycles.This was when i was older.

Lastly but not the least was getting used tyres and riding them with a stick. This was the most interesting because then i was very small and all we had on us was either pants or small shorts and by the time we get back, we were very dirty,
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by 4Him(m): 11:36pm On Mar 20, 2008
Police and thief - didnt really like it as such.
Teacher - We'd take one corner of the wall and flog it as hard as we could while mimicking the cries of our pseudo-student.
Lego - That was the best kiddy game ever invented.
Table soccer - Only we played this one on a carpet. I won the world cup several times.
Mitis - My brothers and i invented this "game", the first person to touch anything mum brought from the market had the priviledge of having it all to himself.

Never played video games because my mom thought TV was evil. Played plenty of 2-a side soccer, jump ropes, chasing goats all over the house, building sand castles, rolling tyres down the street with a cane . . . pinching meat from the pot.

Childhood was sweet!
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by shilees(f): 11:38pm On Mar 20, 2008
Ten ten
Suwe
Catcher
who is in the garden
Freeze
Kele gbe e - the one u put broom stick in your hair in case anyone challnges u.
cooking soup with sand and water
sac race  
First to finish a cup of water, and loads of others. I enjoyed my childwood
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by spoilt(f): 11:42pm On Mar 20, 2008
did anyone play 'nail' ?

throwing nails into a kind of pie chart drawn on the floor? The ground had to be the right muddy texture. the nails couldnt stick to sand.
cant really remember how it was scored but thinking about it now, it was fun! grin
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by 4Him(m): 11:45pm On Mar 20, 2008
Ludo (my parents loved this game), connect four, puzzles, monopoly.
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Mar 20, 2008
board games esp scrabble,monopoly,ludo,snakes and ladder

playing house and pretend cooking so much fun

classroom, this was my favorite,I always played the teacher and commanded everybody cool

dancing competitions

jump rope

suwe, was addicted,would not come in to eat

bicycle races

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh
The memories of my sweet sweet childhood.
You folks have taken me back.
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Mar 20, 2008
there was another one called "okoso" same as spinning tops.

we played cards too.
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by lucabrasi(m): 12:00am On Mar 21, 2008
A_K_O:

LOL e be like say u be 'rich kid'

Me too I sabi game when I dey small e.g. BRICK GAME.

I can never forget those TERMINATOR 2 consoles that u had to buy catridges for. The ones that had game sin them would say "999,999 games" yet it was just ten games and the rest were e.g Mario 101, Mario 102 etc.LOL!!!!!!

Then there was this thingy, can't rememba what it is called but it had water in it with two spikes and u had to press two buttons, left nd right to pass small loops over the rings.

Of course, good old 5-a-side soccer (HEALTH BALL) with no shoes on in brown sand, usually ended with a few bruises. Those dayz u no dare tan soccer with your socks because that one translates serious spanking!!!

Musical chairs, highlight of most 'aunty gimme cake' parties, there are too many mehn,

grin, we didnt only play at home,we went to games arcade too but we did most of our playing at home because we had a large compound and neighbouring kids came to our house,5 a side, the mario s are classics ,super mario,monopoly too there was a phase of cow boy with the whole outfit.
aunty gimme cake grin grin u r making me remember the mother care and bata sandals
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 12:15am On Mar 21, 2008
LOL

Mario 101 to mario 1001
That was on Family comp
it also had duck hunt and Tank
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by dee02(m): 12:23am On Mar 21, 2008
hide and fu*k inside my fathers wardrobe with my neighbour's daughter, oh yes, i been doing it since i was a youngster, lol, it is not my fault i was corrupted

boju-boju!!!

oh yes also played atari, contra, duck hunt et all,
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 12:28am On Mar 21, 2008
Why do people always have to mess things up.
Decency=0

We played Alot of Mariokart, i still suffer from Nintendonitis
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by babamutu: 12:30am On Mar 21, 2008
hide and seek. it was very intresting
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by lucabrasi(m): 12:47am On Mar 21, 2008
street fighter and street fighter combo,mortal kombat s the bomb on arcade nuifn cud beat that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aniocha, Ndokwa, Ika And Oshimilli Are All Igbo's. Please Know Your Origin / Alaafin Of Oyo Awards Aregbesola Title Of Omoluabi Of Yorubaland (PHOTOS) / What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.