Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,996 members, 7,825,081 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. (64541 Views)

21 Benefits And Uses Of Shea Butter / Price Of Shea Butter Per KG! / Beauty And Body Use Of Shea Butter,almond Oil, Castor Oil, Glycerin And Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by mrskincare(m): 1:00pm On Mar 04, 2013
We all know of Shea butter, what I think is that most of us have not realised the importance of Shea Butter to the World Market and the economy today.

Most women spends comparable amount of monies on Cosmetic Products that only contain about 5% of Shea Butter with the other 95% made up of synthetic compounds to give a desired texture and scent.

Compare the price of a Kilo of Shea Butter in Nigeria against the price of an imported jar
of cosmetic containing 5% or less of Shea Butter. Would it not be prudent to take that kilo of Shea butter and maximise it to the fullest?

Why not design your own skin cream!

Shea butter has been known to work well against stretch marks. It also benefits those suffering dry skin, dermatitis and sunburn, quick skin healing and cinnamic acid, which protects the skin against the harmful UV rays of the sun.
Since Shea butter is well tolerated by the skin, it usually does not trigger off any allergic reactions. This makes it ideal for use by persons with sensitive skin.

Medicinal Value

Shea butter is used as a base for medicinal ointments and has been claimed to have anti-inflammatory properties.

It has been claimed internationally to be an effective treatment for the following conditions:

1. Fading scars, eczema, burns, rashes, acne, severely dry skin, blemishes, dark spots, skin discolorations, chapped lips, stretch marks, wrinkles, and in lessening the irritation of psoriasis.

It is also being used as a sun blocking lotion; although the level of protection against the sun's ultraviolet radiation is extremely variable, ranging from nothing to approximately SPF 6.

In Nigeria, Shea butter is used for the management of sinusitis and relief of nasal congestion.

This is due to its hydrating properties which help in relaxing the tension in the face skin thus easing respiration.

The anti-aging benefits of Shea butter have been recognized internationally and there is a mind-boggling range of Shea butter products available these days.

Industrial Use
The main industrial use of Shea butter outside Africa is in cosmetics, such as moisturizer creams and emulsion and hair conditioners for dry and brittle hair. It is also used by soap makers, typically in small amounts (5-7% of the oils in the recipe), because of its property of leaving a small amount of oil in the soap.

The Vitamins A and E found in Shea butter help in keeping the skin supple and healthy. It also prevents premature wrinkles and facial lines. Vitamin F works as a rejuvenator. (Vitamin F from our local Food) Rough and chapped skin is soothed and healed. Shea butter penetrates the skin easily and does not clog the pores. Dry skin and dry scalp relief

•Heals blemishes and keeps wrinkles at bay

•Excellent skin moisturizer

•Reduces itchiness caused due to excessive dryness of the skin

•Cures minor burns and tough skin on feet

•Evens out skin tone

•Offers sun and wind protection

•Restores elasticity to the skin

•Restores lost hair lustre

•Eliminates scalp irritation caused due to chemical processing

BIO-ACTIVE GRADES of SHEA BUTTER (From the American Institute of Shea Butter) Shea Butter comes in different grades: Grade A; Grade B; Grade C; Grade D; or Grade F. When laboratory analysis is done, grade is determined by the presence or absence of various nutrients.

Grade A is the highest and best quality for cosmetics and personal industry.

Grade D is the lowest grade missing most of the valuable nutrients.

The highest grades are awarded to those butters with the largest Bio-active fraction (5% and above), a good safety screen, and rancidity value below 10. To that end, only the best preparation of unrefined Shea butter can earn the Grade A status.

Because of the limited amount of the Bio-active fraction preserved during the refining process, refined Shea Butter scores are typically grade C, sometimes Grade D, but never Grade A. and rarely Grade B. Grade F is reserved for Shea Butter not fit for human use. Grade F Shea is contaminated by micro organisms (such as mould, yeast or coli form bacteria) or contaminated with heavy metals (such as lead or mercury).

For comments, questions and observations kindly respond.
Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Wantintin: 3:49pm On Mar 07, 2013
Pls, is shea butter good for a fair person? I mean, wont it turn the skin to dark colour.
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by mrskincare(m): 4:07pm On Mar 07, 2013
@wantintin There's no evidence to prove that sheabutter will change skin colour from fair to dark.
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Wantintin: 4:12pm On Mar 07, 2013
Thank you very much
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by PrettyCindy(f): 11:51am On Mar 09, 2013
Op, you beat me to this. I planned on opening a thread on shea butter but you got here first. So i will just say my piece and vamoose.
Shea butter is one of natures best gift to man. Sadly lots of people dont know it exist. Out of the few that knows dont know its usefulness. The funny thing about it is that unlike honey which is very very expensive, shea butter is cheap and can be found in any market. It doesnt expire or loose its qualities as a result of old age.

Shea butter has done lots of wonders on my skin, hair and on my baby's skin.
There is no point repeating all what the op has stated above. They are all true.
Its called ekume or orioyor in my dialect.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by dominique(f): 12:46pm On Mar 09, 2013
How does it cure nasal congestions? Do you apply it in your nostrils or what?
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Pink22(f): 1:04pm On Mar 09, 2013
Yes dominique, Just apply it on your nostrils, just massage it in a little, it does wonders for congested nostrils.
My kid sis had some hot water burns on her breast area, and it was swollen we only applied the shea butter almost constantly and by the third day the whole thing just dried up.
It as essential as water in my house
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Blendy77(f): 2:40pm On Mar 09, 2013
It also minimizes stretch marks on pregnancy. I heard about it while pregnant and started using it during the early stages of my pregnancy. As at when I was due not even a stretch mark was noticeable on my bump and thighs. I also use on my babies as their everyday cream and its very good on them as they are both very light in complexion. So I can attest to the fact that this N20 cream works wonders.
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by mrskincare(m): 2:59pm On Mar 09, 2013
Thank you for the positive comments. Indeed, shea butter is a wonderful gift from nature.
Feel free to ask questions or share your opinion.

Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by dominique(f): 5:33pm On Mar 09, 2013
Thanks pink22 and Blendy, never knew it was this useful. I only use it on scars and recently on my hair.
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by juliet9225: 9:44pm On Mar 10, 2013
Is it good 4 oily skin?
mr skincare: We all know of Shea butter, what I think is that most of us have not realised the importance of Shea Butter to the World Market and the economy today.

Most women spends comparable amount of monies on Cosmetic Products that only contain about 5% of Shea Butter with the other 95% made up of synthetic compounds to give a desired texture and scent.

Compare the price of a Kilo of Shea Butter in Nigeria against the price of an imported jar
of cosmetic containing 5% or less of Shea Butter. Would it not be prudent to take that kilo of Shea butter and maximise it to the fullest?

Why not design your own skin cream!

Shea butter has been known to work well against stretch marks. It also benefits those suffering dry skin, dermatitis and sunburn, quick skin healing and cinnamic acid, which protects the skin against the harmful UV rays of the sun.
Since Shea butter is well tolerated by the skin, it usually does not trigger off any allergic reactions. This makes it ideal for use by persons with sensitive skin.

Medicinal Value

Shea butter is used as a base for medicinal ointments and has been claimed to have anti-inflammatory properties.

It has been claimed internationally to be an effective treatment for the following conditions:

1. Fading scars, eczema, burns, rashes, acne, severely dry skin, blemishes, dark spots, skin discolorations, chapped lips, stretch marks, wrinkles, and in lessening the irritation of psoriasis.

It is also being used as a sun blocking lotion; although the level of protection against the sun's ultraviolet radiation is extremely variable, ranging from nothing to approximately SPF 6.

In Nigeria, Shea butter is used for the management of sinusitis and relief of nasal congestion.

This is due to its hydrating properties which help in relaxing the tension in the face skin thus easing respiration.

The anti-aging benefits of Shea butter have been recognized internationally and there is a mind-boggling range of Shea butter products available these days.

Industrial Use
The main industrial use of Shea butter outside Africa is in cosmetics, such as moisturizer creams and emulsion and hair conditioners for dry and brittle hair. It is also used by soap makers, typically in small amounts (5-7% of the oils in the recipe), because of its property of leaving a small amount of oil in the soap.

The Vitamins A and E found in Shea butter help in keeping the skin supple and healthy. It also prevents premature wrinkles and facial lines. Vitamin F works as a rejuvenator. (Vitamin F from our local Food) Rough and chapped skin is soothed and healed. Shea butter penetrates the skin easily and does not clog the pores. Dry skin and dry scalp relief

•Heals blemishes and keeps wrinkles at bay

•Excellent skin moisturizer

•Reduces itchiness caused due to excessive dryness of the skin

•Cures minor burns and tough skin on feet

•Evens out skin tone

•Offers sun and wind protection

•Restores elasticity to the skin

•Restores lost hair lustre

•Eliminates scalp irritation caused due to chemical processing

BIO-ACTIVE GRADES of SHEA BUTTER (From the American Institute of Shea Butter) Shea Butter comes in different grades: Grade A; Grade B; Grade C; Grade D; or Grade F. When laboratory analysis is done, grade is determined by the presence or absence of various nutrients.

Grade A is the highest and best quality for cosmetics and personal industry.

Grade D is the lowest grade missing most of the valuable nutrients.

The highest grades are awarded to those butters with the largest Bio-active fraction (5% and above), a good safety screen, and rancidity value below 10. To that end, only the best preparation of unrefined Shea butter can earn the Grade A status.

Because of the limited amount of the Bio-active fraction preserved during the refining process, refined Shea Butter scores are typically grade C, sometimes Grade D, but never Grade A. and rarely Grade B. Grade F is reserved for Shea Butter not fit for human use. Grade F Shea is contaminated by micro organisms (such as mould, yeast or coli form bacteria) or contaminated with heavy metals (such as lead or mercury).

For comments, questions and observations kindly respond.
Thank you
Is it good 4 oily skin?

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by greatgod2012(f): 3:48am On Mar 11, 2013
Yes, shea butter is very good, that is what i use for my kids and its very good on their skin, i mix it with glycerin for them, and pple always embarrass me with question of "madam, pls, what cream do you use for your kids?", i gladly tell them "its shea butter, if you like, use it alone, or mix it with glycerin, it works wonders". One of my kids usually have boils each time she want to have a certain growth, i use ordinary shea butter to treat it, and its wonderful, sometimes, d boil will disappear, sometimes, it makes d boil to heal-up quickly, but i, personally have problem with its odour, thus not making me use it in d morning while going to my place of work, so, op, what can i do as regards its odour. Thanks.
May God help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by fonssy(f): 9:03pm On Mar 11, 2013
Please how do I use it? Should I mix it with my cream or just rub it direct on my body?
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Myah001(f): 11:48pm On Mar 11, 2013
Sheabutter is really fabulous on the skin.... you can mix it in to a lucious body cream, by adding aloe vera juice, glycerin and coconut oil wink
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by k4kenny(f): 3:33am On Mar 12, 2013
I can testify to how shea butter has been wonderful in almost every aspect of my bodycare

I used to have horrible dandruff on my scalp, someone suggested I mix shea butter into my haircream with a little camphor, it worked like magic. Not only am I dandruff-free, my hair is stronger nd shinier grin

Really helpful with stretchmarks, I always rub it on my belly while pregnant, now after 2 babies, NO stretch marks cheesy

Also use it for my kids; no expensive, imported cream can achieve the same result as shea butter on their skin.

If you're havin nasal congestion, just use ur thumb and index fingers to rub it along the bridge of your nose, it clears up in seconds.

It has also really worked on boils, scars and other skin issues. Shea butter is truly one of Gods gift to mankind.

@OP nice write up, wonderful soap you've got there wink

2 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Freaknasty: 7:37am On Mar 12, 2013
Good
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by mrskincare(m): 7:58am On Mar 12, 2013
Thank you all for your comments, observations and personal testimonies.
The idea is to spread the word about the beauty of natural cosmetics. Let us discard chemicals. The world is tired of harmful and expensive cosmetics.
This is the time to embrace nature and enjoy it's benefits.
Sheabutter is just great and pls look beyond the smell.
I'm working on a project concerning extraction of natural perfumes/fragrances from plants and flowers. I'll share with you at the right time.

Feel free to share your opinion

Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Cheks01(f): 8:24am On Mar 12, 2013
1daful piece op. Pls K4Kenny hw is t mixed wit camphor cos I v ds terrible dandruff dt refuse 2 go. When applied do u wash off after sometimes or leave t. Tnx
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by omogemi: 9:15am On Mar 12, 2013
its very good for preventing stretch marks. I started using it early in pregnancy and i am still using it. Smtimes i mix a little cream with it. I dnt have a single stretch mark on my skin. I also use for my baby too along with coconut oil. It makes her skin smooth and glossy. It doesnt change d skin colour, it only smoothens it and make it skin look silky n smooth.
I use it for my hair too. I recently had a domestic accident. Hot water poured on my leg. Immediately i applied shea butter. I dnt even have a scar or any mark to show that i had an injury.
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by suviwelnes: 1:53pm On Mar 12, 2013
Microdermabrasion Treatment, a less aggressive strategy than dermabrasion, makes use of a minimally difficult device to properly fine sand the skin, removing the broader, infrequent surface area smiley
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by k4kenny(f): 2:19pm On Mar 12, 2013
Cheks01: 1daful piece op. Pls K4Kenny hw is t mixed wit camphor cos I v ds terrible dandruff dt refuse 2 go. When applied do u wash off after sometimes or leave t. Tnx

I mix just 1 camphor ball with the hair cream+shea butter. Just apply it as u would your everyday hair cream, no need to wash it off; the smell is not that bad. It might sting a little at first but you'll see the results in weeks.
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by dominique(f): 2:58pm On Mar 12, 2013
^^^ but they're different camphor sizes. Are you talking about large one medium or small one? Also what proportion of shea butter and hair cream did you mix the camphor with?
About it so-called offenive odour, it doesn't smell that bad to me. I find it surprising when people say they hardly use it cos of odour. Maybe they have stronger olfactory lobes than me undecided
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by k4kenny(f): 3:15pm On Mar 12, 2013
The small type o, as for proportions, no one really told M̶̲̅ε̲̣ how to go about it, but I mixed equal quantities of shea butter and hair cream. Shea butter alone can be used, but d hair cream would make the mixture more glossy.
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Olasheabutter: 10:55pm On Jul 14, 2013
Hi All,

Introducing Olaedo Shea Butter. 100% Natural and NAFDAC Certified. Nature sure takes care of her own. Artificial chemical compounds used on your skin and hair have long lasting effects that take time to redeem. And Shea doesn't darken your skin rather it resets you to your default color. Whenever you decide to revert to status quo aftrer skin toning, Shea butter is the product to lookout for. Salut OP.

Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by mrskincare(m): 11:37pm On Jul 16, 2013
@olasheabutter. Kindly provide contact details. I can also introduce your product to some of my clients. By the way, I love the nice packaging

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by honifome(m): 10:32pm On Jul 19, 2013
Excuse me please!can shea butter cure bumps and keloids?
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by jennie3: 11:34am On Jul 22, 2013
i need shea butter,just found out it could treat stretch mark,i heard its been sold in wuse zone 3,can someone give me details?
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Olasheabutter: 1:10pm On Jul 25, 2013
Hello all, you can reach us by email using info@homegrownproducts.com.ng. You may call us on 08092308560 or 07063345562 (whatsapp and viber are also available on the latter phone number). Our twitter handle is @olasheabutter. Hope I got you covered. smiley
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by mrskincare(m): 4:15pm On Jul 25, 2013
@jennie 3. Yes sheabutter is an ideal cure for stretch marks.
You can place an order from @olasheabutter.

@honifome. Concerning bumps, the answer is yes.
Concerning Keloids, I'll do some homework and get back to you.

2 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Zhedoga: 8:25am On Jul 26, 2013
I have Shea butter for sale, it's natural. Call 08068156673.
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Homogeneositys(f): 8:11pm On Jul 26, 2013
PrettyCindy: Op, you beat me to this. I planned on opening a thread on shea butter but you got here first. So i will just say my piece and vamoose.
Shea butter is one of natures best gift to man. Sadly lots of people dont know it exist. Out of the few that knows dont know its usefulness. The funny thing about it is that unlike honey which is very very expensive, shea butter is cheap and can be found in any market. It doesnt expire or loose its qualities as a result of old age.

Shea butter has done lots of wonders on my skin, hair and on my baby's skin.
There is no point repeating all what the op has stated above. They are all true.
Its called ekume or orioyor in my dialect.
u are frm which state
Re: Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. by Nyeenye: 9:31am On Jul 30, 2013
Hi everyone,so happy to be able to comment after following this thread for a long time now,pls which colour of shea butter is the best ivory or yellow colour
and i noticed after sometime of using shea butter on my skin n baby's skin a kind of rash just together in a spot starts appearing whatt does it mean?i mix it wt johnson baby moisturizer,is the shea butter contaminated or what?thanks for replying

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage / Man Drinks Bottle Of Gin To Impress His Friends, See What Happened Later. Photo / 6 Diseases That Could Embarrass You In The Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.