Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market (10144 Views)

Fayose Paying Compensation Before Demolishing Illegal Structures (picture) / Okorocha Demolishes Illegal Structures/Brothel In Owerri (Photos) / Every Illegal Structures In Aba Must Go Down, Vows Dr Ikpeazu (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by GARRIx10: 9:48am On Mar 05, 2013
bigass:

Did U finish from Ife?

No Sir!!

smiley smiley
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by RedLight1: 9:56am On Mar 05, 2013
Okija_juju: Good Job Mr. Fashola...

I am not a fan of yours, but this is a welcomed development.. We cant continue to live and behave like animals in this country.. I dont care where you are from or what ethinicity is involved..

This is a good development!
gbammmm
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Mcdondayan: 9:58am On Mar 05, 2013
Okija_juju:

[b]I can never support you on this one..

Let it go. The traders were badly behaved, even they themselves have admitted their wrong doing. I feel your arguement is more tribal than logical. If they had simple 500 Naira Dustbins in front of their shops, a passage way for small trucks to drive through at Night and pick up these wastes from the front of their shops, then things would be better. They built illegal strictures all over, clustered the entire market that even human traffic was nearly impossible and then started dumping stuff into the canal as a matter of convinience. Anybody who has ever been to a Mechanic village in any state of the federation would know that this is their standard practice.

Now that they have the ear of the governor, they can now talk with him to help in certain areas that they need help in the market. For a Market that make 500 Million Naira a day, they cant build a state of the art toilet system?! I know what leads to this nonsense. Most of their sales boys and girls sleep inside the market. The traders need to better organize themselves. They should stop depending on the government for every f`ucking thing!

This is a welcomed move. Call it starting from scratch. Everything should be corrected now so that when business commences, there will be no breach of conduct.

Support a good move.. Onitsha Main Market & Ariaria Market needs something similar as well.

No tribalism on this matter.. I support the LASG. [/b]
So a small dust bin in front of your shop will carry a condemed engine block, a small dustbin will contain so many radiators that are ti be thrown away, or batteries to be disposed e.t.c. Have you ever been to a big auto spare part market before? In as much as i do not support d dirty environment, but they shoul provide a central dump site for the market.

2 Likes

Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Okijajuju1(m): 10:12am On Mar 05, 2013
Mcdondayan:
So a small dust bin in front of your shop will carry a condemed engine block, a small dustbin will contain so many radiators that are ti be thrown away, or batteries to be disposed e.t.c. Have you ever been to a big auto spare part market before? In as much as i do not support d dirty environment, but they shoul provide a central dump site for the market.

[b]Park well jor!!! angry

You think that they throw away condemned engine blocks in Ladipo?! Or that they throw away Radiators?! Those metal parts are sold off to these metal scrap guys.

Infact, the Market Union can better organize it such that on tuesdays and Saturdays, they will come for metal wastes.. take them and sell them off to make money. On Mondays Wednesdays and Sundays, Organic wastes.. On another day, Rubber wastes..

These markets are run by grown up adults. They should oranize themselves jor! If Government isnt coming for their wastes, they should arrange with a rivate company to dispose of their wastes for them. Thats what sane people do.

I have said it that whilst Fashola is scolding the Marketers, he should also scold the various taskforces, agencies and ministries that have been dealing with these markets and collecting monies from them for taxes, levies and all worth not..

But as far as closing the market is concerned, it is a good move. NOW THAT IT IS CLOSED.. Everybody can now see well how bad the situation is.

For a house to be well renovated, it has to first be evacuated. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by GARRIx10: 10:19am On Mar 05, 2013
^
Now I see why you were disqualified during the Ndigbo election..

angry
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by boron10(m): 10:22am On Mar 05, 2013
Mcdondayan:
Don't they have union? Don't they pay dues to the union? Why must the state government be the one to manage their wastes for them? The more you try hard to comment on this thread, the more you display your stupidity.

Spare parts dealers should know how best to dispose their refuse. Why didn't they notify the government on the non availability of a central dump site in the market? You think those in government are Omnipresent abi?
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Standing5(m): 10:24am On Mar 05, 2013
PointB:

Imagine a big market like Ladipo without a central dump site, yet some clowns are praising the government for the inanity of closing the market. Why didn't the government provide this facility and see if it will be put to use or not before closing the market? It's little wonder why Lagos State itself is one big junkyard. A state where the government pockets tax-payer money, plant flowers, and then do fvckall with the rest of the loot.

Now taxpayers still have to plead with government to their job, in providing the simplest of facility. If this simple plea is not granted, I surmise that Ladipo, and every other markets in Lagos State and beyond will remain a sh1t-yard for aeon. This is very fundamental.

Shameful.

And what's wrong with creating one now? The situation on ground is bad, yes, but that does not mean the state shouldn't move to clean up what has become a mess. As for Taxpayers pleading with the govt to do their job, you may need to know of other states where such plead are seen as impossible, for a relatively working government like that of Lag i thing delaying the cleaning up of Ladipo market is justified.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Exponental(m): 10:25am On Mar 05, 2013
That govt shops behind ikeja cantonment @ bolade oshodi is wasting, govt should relocate some sections there.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by PointB: 10:32am On Mar 05, 2013
@Okija_juju

Incidentally, I do not seek your support nor seek your validation of my comments.

My position on this issue is as clear as crystal, and I couldn't care less if you sense a tinge of tribalism in it or not. And my position that, it is the primary duty of Government to provide facilities for keeping the environment clean.

If there is a central waste disposal system, it will be put to use, if there is none, you don't expect the traders to carry their waste home. These are basic fundamental thing any administrator should consider.

Pull down all the structure in Ladipo, replace the Igbo traders with Yoruba/hausa one, or bring white men to trade in Ladipo, without an efficient waste disposal system, any empty space in a market is game, canal is even more easy a target.

The government need to do it's part in the provision of basic amenities for tax-payers, it is only after this is done can they enforce regulation bordering on the use or not of such amenities. A child should know this, I wonder why it is so hard for grown men to realise this. Shame again!

1 Like

Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by elewedu(m): 10:32am On Mar 05, 2013
bigass:

Did U finish from Ife?
u no dnt need to ask...it is a typical ife political grammar..olowokandi said and i quote"let's accelerate at the level of awo hall, and condense at amphi theatre..u knw hw he dey go
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by ba7man(m): 10:34am On Mar 05, 2013
PointB:

Imagine a big market like Ladipo without a central dump site, yet some clowns are praising the government for the inanity of closing the market. Why didn't the government provide this facility and see if it will be put to use or not before closing the market? It's little wonder why Lagos State itself is one big junkyard. A state where the government pockets tax-payer money, plant flowers, and then do fvckall with the rest of the loot.

Now taxpayers still have to plead with government to their job, in providing the simplest of facility. If this simple plea is not granted, I surmise that Ladipo, and every other markets in Lagos State and beyond will remain a sh1t-yard for aeon. This is very fundamental.

Shameful.
Ladipo market was never designed to be an auto-spare part market from the onset. Igbo traders move into residential areas and turn them to markets without regards to the activities they'll be carrying out there.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by PointB: 10:48am On Mar 05, 2013
ba7man: Ladipo market was never designed to be an auto-spare part market from the onset. Igbo traders move into residential areas and turn them to markets without regards to the activities they'll be carrying out there.

Keep your bigotry in check my friend. Communities evolve.

Might I tell you too that Victoria Island/Ikoyi was designed as a residential area. Who will you blame for converting those place to commercial area?
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Okijajuju1(m): 10:50am On Mar 05, 2013
PointB: @Okija_juju

Incidentally, I do not seek your support nor seek your validation of my comments.

My position on this issue is as clear as crystal, and I couldn't care less if you sense a tinge of tribalism in it or not. And my position that, it is the primary duty of Government to provide facilities for keeping the environment clean.

If there is a central waste disposal system, it will be put to use, if there is none, you don't expect the traders to carry their waste home. These are basic fundamental thing any administrator should consider.

Pull down all the structure in Ladipo, replace the Igbo traders with Yoruba/hausa one, or bring white men to trade in Ladipo, without an efficient waste disposal system, any empty space in a market is game, canal is even more easy a target.

The government need to do it part in provision of basic amenities for tax-payer, it is only after this is done can they enforce regulation bordering on the use or not of such amenities. A child should know, I wonder why it is so hard for grown men to realise this. Shame again!

[b]You have interestingly focused your efforts on just the Waste.

Waste funny enough is the easiet thing that could have been handled personally by the Market Union if they wanted to. Several markets do have unions that organize people who come to collect their wastes every evening at the close of business, why couldnt Ladipo Traders who claim to make 500 million Naira Daily do same?! Lets not forget that these same traders have built bathrooms and toilets all along the canal area. They employ salesboys and girls from their villages and dont make any provisons for them interms of accomodation. I guess we should also blame LASG for not providing hostels for their Nwaboys as well. If grown men cant organize themselves, then its truly a pity. So because the government has failed t provide waste facilities, they decide to live inside the waste. WOW!!!!!

So the government that provided shops for the trader, yet the traders built illegal structures along the canal nko?! If a flood had come in and destroyed their businesses and killed the traders, you and many others like you would be the first to scream and point fingers at the governor. Lets not forget that these same traders were the ones blocking the roads and constituting a nuisance in the area o! I guess the government as well should have provided a nuisance area for them too.

The responsibility is shared.. The government has its own, but the bulk of it is on the traders because they are the primary users of the market.

Well! Whatever happened in the past is the past.. THE MARKET HAS BEEN CLOSED & WILL REMAIN CLOSED. That market needs to be overhauled. FASHOLA should not compromise on standards. Because we have been doing things a certain way does not mean it should continue like that. [/b]

7 Likes

Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by PointB: 10:51am On Mar 05, 2013
Standing5:

And what's wrong with creating one now? The situation on ground is bad, yes, but that does not mean the state shouldn't move to clean up what has become a mess. As for Taxpayers pleading with the govt to do their job, you may need to know of other states where such plead are seen as impossible, for a relatively working government like that of Lag i thing delaying the cleaning up of Ladipo market is justified.

There is nothing wrong with creating one now, just as there is nothing wrong with cleaning Ladipo. My point has always been that Lagos State government (Aka Fashola) should have thought of providing efficient waste disposal system for the traders, rather that turning around to blame the for the consequence of his shortsightedness.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 05, 2013
ba7man: Ladipo market was never designed to be an auto-spare part market from the onset. Igbo traders move into residential areas and turn them to markets without regards to the activities they'll be carrying out there.

Not only did they turned it into a market but a huge scrapyard..thus posing a lot if environmental challenges to people living in the surrounding environs...those people are just lawless by default of their DNA.

I appreciate Prof Anya pointing out this:

According to him, “You traders should thank your creator that it is Lagos state government. If it were other states, the government may not create a platform for the traders and its officials to meet and discuss issues concerning the market.

That is someone that should know and actually know better...but here some nonentities are insulting the LASG.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Delafruita(m): 10:57am On Mar 05, 2013
Mcdondayan:
so the government should come and dispose your condemned engine part for you.why dont you also say the government should clear your soak-away for you.if your business has to do with condemned radiators,then you should make provision for how to dispose it.

3 Likes

Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Nobody: 11:01am On Mar 05, 2013
Okija_juju:

[b]You have interestingly focused your efforts on just the Waste.

Waste funny enough is the easiet thing that could have been handled personally by the Market Union if they wanted to. Several markets do have unions that organize people who come to collect their wastes every evening at the close of business, why couldnt Ladipo Traders who claim to make 500 million Naira Daily do same?! Lets not forget that these same traders have built bathrooms and toilets all along the canal area. They employ salesboys and girls from their villages and dont make any provisons for them interms of accomodation. I guess we should also blame LASG for not providing hostels for their Nwaboys as well. If grown men cant organize themselves, then its truly a pity. So because the government has failed t provide waste facilities, they decide to live inside the waste. WOW!!!!!

So the government that provided shops for the trader, yet the traders built illegal structures along the canal nko?! If a flood had come in and destroyed their businesses and killed the traders, you and many others like you would be the first to scream and point fingers at the governor. Lets not forget that these same traders were the ones blocking the roads and constituting a nuisance in the area o! I guess the government as well should have provided a nuisance area for them too.

The responsibility is shared.. The government has its own, but the bulk of it is on the traders because they are the primary users of the market.

Well! Whatever happened in the past is the past.. THE MARKET HAS BEEN CLOSED & WILL REMAIN CLOSED. That market needs to be overhauled. FASHOLA should not compromise on standards. Because we have been doing things a certain way does not mean it should continue like that.[/b]

When you talk logically like this.....you will NEVER smell the Eze Igbo NL stool..

1 Like

Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by boron10(m): 11:02am On Mar 05, 2013
PointB:

There is nothing wrong with creating one now, just as there is nothing wrong with cleaning Ladipo. My point has always been that Lagos State government (Aka Fashola) should have thought of providing efficient waste disposal system for the traders, rather that turning around to blame the for the consequence of his shortsightedness.
Are you serious? Then what purpose does the market union or spare part union serve? Just to collect dues and fight for people's right huh
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by angelsing(m): 11:03am On Mar 05, 2013
Seriously speaking, if u have been to that market u wud undastand why that place needs to be closed..you can work around without getting stained by those traders who have convert the road to their shops..Igbo or no igbo, its a welcome development, at list there were not ask to leave completely
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by hardbody: 11:03am On Mar 05, 2013
gerald09: This is were u kn the problems of Nigeria in in our blood. Dis lunatics expect us to have mercy on dem so dey keep telling us how much dey loose daily form 100million daily nw its 500million. Dis is to show how most of us value money to human life. Very soon dey will start blaming jonna if he acts like dat. 500million daily n dey didn't have d decency to clean d very place dat put food in dere mouth, NEVA BIT D FINGERS THAT FEED U.

Who are you referring to as 'them' in this instance? With the exception of the Northern brothers, we have east, south and western conglommeration in that market place, do not assume it belongs to your enemies alone.Having said that, i see no reason why a people should not clean up their environment irrespective of their cultural orientation. Government on its own should have planned out that market and made provisions for how effleunce should be dealt with and perhaps creating an initial atmosphere that will enable the users continue to maintain the place.

We all, irrespective of tribe, buy from that market, at least your mgbati or aboki brother goes there to purchase parts for your rickety jallopy, the same with other spare parts market around Lagos (eg first gate, owode onirin, etc)The only reason we all assume it belongs to omo Ibo is because those are the ones with the knack to make good money out of that line of business and therefore are making it big. Let us be rational and apply wisdom in our dealings with others. At least until we go our separate ways (which i pray happens in my life time) let us keep tolerating one another.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Delafruita(m): 11:03am On Mar 05, 2013

The government need to do it part in provision of basic amenities for tax-payer, it is only after this is done can they enforce regulation bordering on the use or not of such amenities. A child should know, I wonder why it is so hard for grown men to realise this. Shame again!
in essence,the government should do everything for you.citizens have a responsibility as well.keeping your environment clean is one of them.there might not be a central dump,but the government has provided the LAWMA trucks which have proven to be very useful in almost all parts of lagos.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Emoticon: 11:04am On Mar 05, 2013
Immune#1:
Ladipo was largely built by ibo men with little government support;instead of government to think up creative ways like monetizing auto-waste,they are busy creating impressions.1billion naira is too much to set things right rather than create all these media attention to show you are working.
Hmm...
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by PointB: 11:06am On Mar 05, 2013
@Okija_juju

The trader providing those facilities themselves is certainly another way to solve the problem. But lest not forget in a hurry, that some of the arrested traders were charged with operation illegal security operation.

If the effort of the traders to provide security, something that is done in every market, can be deem illegal, why not the unauthorized waste disposal services? It is important that in our effort to make ourselves loved by people, to be rational, and look at the bigger picture. Considering that wheelbarrow pushing on main road is consider illegal in Lagos, I wonder then if the traders should have engaged those who will place the rubbish on their head and walk kilometer to whereever to dispose this waste, when government agent (LAWMA) could have done a better job with their facility.

No one in his right sense will support erecting structures on canal to the point on blocking it's free flow, and I cannot subscribe to such illegality. So stop bringing that argument here as it hold no value. As a matter of fact, such structures should not have even be there if not for the complicity of Local Officials. In any case I support the removal. But to suggest that traders organise their own parallel waste disposal system when the government has working system to stretching the argument too far; it is retrogressive thinking if you ask me.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by jasmine21(f): 11:13am On Mar 05, 2013
Where were u when Fashola shut down Ketu fruit market and mile 12? Infact, mile 12 has been shut down @least 3 times from 2010.

Some of u r just being myopic by allowing tribal sentiments becloud your judgement instead of reasoning. Y shouldn't they clean their environment? Do u wait 4 d govt to clean ur house 4 u b4 u do so?

alfaman2:

You are really a clown and it pains me to say this to a fellow igbo man. How can you turn around and blame the victims?
Where are the facilities that the state government was supposed to provide in the first place?
Why single out ladipo when other markets are in similar or worse situations?
Would the foolish governor do this in an hausa/fulani dominated market?
Why punish everybody if it was only a few shops that are blocking the road? Why not clear those shops only and allow the other law abiding shops to go about their business?
Are we not meant to be in a democracy? What is this nonsense of one man making unilateral decision and imposing it on others?
And please stop joinning Yoruba to attack igbos. They are very good at anti-igbo propaganda.
Even google knows who are the dirtiest people in the whole world. Just ask it.

2 Likes

Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Emoticon: 11:24am On Mar 05, 2013
boron10:
Why didn't they notify the government on the non availability of a central dump site in the market?
U said the more he comments, the more he displays his stupidity, but I don't know if u typed the above quote out of ur anus.

Its like building a house without toilet and when u have a visitor that wants to use the restroom, u expect him or her to tell u that ur house ain't got no toilet. How foolish.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Okijajuju1(m): 11:25am On Mar 05, 2013

The trader providing those facilities themselves is certainly another way to solve the problem. But lest not forget in a hurry, that some of the arrested traders were charged with operation illegal security operation.

If the effort of the traders to provide security, something that is done in every market, can be deem illegal, why not the unauthorized waste disposal services? It is important that in our effort to make ourselves loved by people, to be rational, and look at the bigger picture. Considering that wheelbarrow pushing on main road is consider illegal in Lagos, I wonder then if the traders should have engaged those who will place the rubbish on their head and walk kilometer to whereever to dispose this waste, when government agent (LAWMA) could have done a better job with their facility.

No one in his right sense will support erecting structures on canal to the point on blocking it's free flow, and I cannot subscribe to such illegality. So stop bringing that argument here as it hold no value. As a matter of fact, such structures should not have even be there if not for the complicity of Local Officials. In any case I support the removal. But to suggest that traders organise their own parallel waste disposal system when the government has working system to stretching the argument too far; it is retrogressive thinking if you ask me.

[b]Nna.

There are various ways of tackling a problem, however, the one constant is that in these various ways, there is a right and a wrong way.

The security boys who were arrested in Ladipo market were alleged to be Bakassi Boys. Last time I checked, Bakassi boys was an illegal eastern based vigilante outfit that has been scrapped by all the various governments that use to use them. Fast forward to 2013. If the Ladipo Traders Union were really serious about security, there are many LEGAL security companies in Nigeria that are registered with the Government and have a partnership with the Nigerian Police to do work in Nigeria. An example is Technochrome security, Douglas Security, e.t.c.. Why couldnt they get these guys to handle their security for them if they wanted one so badly?! These security companies even operate with trained dogs and uniformed secuirty guards.

Same logic applies to waste management. In and around Nigeria Today including Lagos, many private individuals are involved in waste management business I even considered it at some point.. . They are registered with th states environmental board to do business. they have specified and allocated dumpsites for various kindss of wastes. they operate a legal business. Why couldnt LADIPO MARKET UNION employ the services of these companies?! AFTERALL THEY MAKE OVER 500MILLION NAIRA A DAY.. Infact, for a place like LADIPO, some of these waste management companies would package and organize a system that would even involve sweeping and washing certain areas of the market 3 times a week..

There is no excuse for the state of the environment in which the traders lived in and conducted business in.. They posed such a harzard to themselves and the general community around them.

A change was needed, this is a perfect opportunity for those changes to be effected. In the end, everybody wins.. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by PointB: 11:25am On Mar 05, 2013
Delafruita: in essence,the government should do everything for you.citizens have a responsibility as well.keeping your environment clean is one of them.there might not be a central dump,but the government has provided the LAWMA trucks which have proven to be very useful in almost all parts of lagos.

Governance is a social contract . Everyone's role is clearly delineated. The government has a role and people also have theirs.

Is is because most Nigerian have generators, bore-hole, that we now expect everyone to provide this facility for themselves. Perhaps we should build and tar our own private roads, etc.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Mcdondayan: 11:25am On Mar 05, 2013
boron10:
Don't they have union? Don't they pay dues to the union? Why must the state government be the one to manage their wastes for them? The more you try hard to comment on this thread, the more you display your stupidity.

Spare parts dealers should know how best to dispose their refuse. Why didn't they notify the government on the non availability of a central dump site in the market? You think those in government are Omnipresent abi?

I spoke in reference to Okija's comment on placing small waste bins in front of their shops. I guess u have not gone out of lagos, so its not ur fault. I will not exchange words with u. In a normal setting, there should be a general dump site where refuse will be dumped daily and not weekly. Thanks.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by Nobody: 11:29am On Mar 05, 2013
Okija_juju:

[b]I can never support you on this one..

Let it go. The traders were badly behaved, even they themselves have admitted their wrong doing. I feel your arguement is more tribal than logical. If they had simple 500 Naira Dustbins in front of their shops, a passage way for small trucks to drive through at Night and pick up these wastes from the front of their shops, then things would be better. They built illegal strictures all over, clustered the entire market that even human traffic was nearly impossible and then started dumping stuff into the canal as a matter of convinience. Anybody who has ever been to a Mechanic village in any state of the federation would know that this is their standard practice.

Now that they have the ear of the governor, they can now talk with him to help in certain areas that they need help in the market. For a Market that make 500 Million Naira a day, they cant build a state of the art toilet system?! I know what leads to this nonsense. Most of their sales boys and girls sleep inside the market. The traders need to better organize themselves. They should stop depending on the government for every f`ucking thing!

This is a welcomed move. Call it starting from scratch. Everything should be corrected now so that when business commences, there will be no breach of conduct.

Support a good move.. Onitsha Main Market & Ariaria Market needs something similar as well.

No tribalism on this matter.. I support the LASG. [/b]

I can't believe my eyes okija na you or someone else shocked shocked truly there's got a point we need to shun tribal sentiments, I don't believe whatever we say here on NL is a true picture of our minds at least not all of us. I believe Fashola do not hate igbos, I do not hate igbos and many of us here are just playing on each others emotions by throwing tribal insults.
All the same I believe we can all reach a common ground to build this country together as we have no other country.
cool
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by jasmine21(f): 11:30am On Mar 05, 2013
alfaman2:

You are really a clown and it pains me to say this to a fellow igbo man. How can you turn around and blame the victims?
Where are the facilities that the state government was supposed to provide in the first place?
Why single out ladipo when other markets are in similar or worse situations?
Would the foolish governor do this in an hausa/fulani dominated market?
Why punish everybody if it was only a few shops that are blocking the road? Why not clear those shops only and allow the other law abiding shops to go about their business?
Are we not meant to be in a democracy? What is this nonsense of one man making unilateral decision and imposing it on others?
And please stop joinning Yoruba to attack igbos. They are very good at anti-igbo propaganda.
Even google knows who are the dirtiest people in the whole world. Just ask it.
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by kolinz(m): 11:47am On Mar 05, 2013
seanet02: Never expect you to be reasonable.
How about you using your senses?

pls wat do u mean?
Re: Illegal Structures Demolished In Ladipo Market by DuduNegro: 11:47am On Mar 05, 2013
PointB:

Shameful.

1. A market that size should not be in metro area at all, not to mention that they deal with hydrocarbon wastes from junk cars.

2. You still do not understand the basic tenets of government and the purpose of taxation. In the age of Imperial Africa, Empires derived taxation from their tributaries for various reasons but primary was protection and security. When the tributaries fail to pay tax they are attacked and their city ravaged to exact the tax in other worths, and sometimes the king is sacked. We practice democracy nowadays and if you look at the father of democracy, US of America you will witness an element of this imperial practice. In America if you default on your tax you risk loosing far more than the tax is worth, in addition to incarceration. America promises you security in exchange for your tax, nothing more! You pay for your energy, you pay for your watse disposal, you pay for health.....the only thing you dont pay for is police security, which is already taxed from your paycheck.

Point B, in Nigeria Lagos bends backwards to accomodate igbo traders. Fashola has history of trading and business in Lagos and Im sure he is aware of the fact that no ethnic group has ever been so defiant and rebellious to simple civil order as igbo traders have been. There is no other state in Nigeria where your nonsense in Lagos will be tolerated. Your tax is for security and that you get compared to how your brothers are treated in other parts of Nigeria. You should pay out of pocket if you want waste management to give service. Road was in good condition, these traders damaged it. Which part of the world do you see people intentionally ruining state properties because they pay tax? ode!

3. you should enroll to take civic class in this professor's summit training. In fact, professor and the Igbo council of Lagos should begin mentoring the executive leaders of igbo trade groups in Lagos.....train them the value of civility.

The founding Director-General of Nigeria Economic Summit Group, Prof. Anya O. Anya yesterday visited the closed Ladipo auto spare part market, Mushin Local Government and tasked the traders to comply with the state government sanitation law 2010.

Anya who addressed the hundreds of traders at the market noted that the state government will only open the market when they comply with the state government sanitation standards.

According to him, “You traders should thank your creator that it is Lagos state government. If it were other states, the government may not create a platform for the traders and its officials to meet and discuss issues concerning the market.”

He urged the marketers to urgently evacuate the dirt, saying “the sooner the traders complied with the state government directives, the sooner the market would be re-opened”.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amaechi To Partner World Bank On Comprehensive Land Transportation Policy.Photos / Looted Funds, Assets: FG Launches Moves Against Ex-Governor, Ministers, Senators / Kwara: Tunji Moronfoye Apologises To Governor, REC Over Corruption Allegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.