Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic (6172 Views)

Why Men Should Only Do Traditional Marriage / She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by Mrsprof(f): 9:26am On Mar 06, 2013
Since it is only marriage certificate can ascertain that one is actually married based on if one wants to do certain things that required marriage certificate,and we all know that no certificate is been issued in traditional marriage... My question now is, does it mean traditional marraige alone is not recorgnise in our society, and is it possible for one to obtain certicate without court or church wedding? If yes, how
Re: Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by Mumsluv: 11:42am On Mar 06, 2013
Go to the registry of the Federal/State high court where you reside and swear an affidavit declaring that you were married under native law and custom after which you will be issued a DECLARATION OF MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE which you will use for official purposes. Hope this answers your question and by the way the traditional marriage is the most important marriage ceremony to be performed. Cheers!

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by Mrsprof(f): 11:48am On Mar 06, 2013
Mumsluv, thanks for the reply...it did answered smiley
Re: Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by Nobody: 4:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mumsluv: Go to the registry of the Federal/State high court where you reside and swear an affidavit declaring that you were married under native law and custom after which you will be issued a DECLARATION OF MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE which you will use for official purposes. Hope this answers your question and by the way the traditional marriage is the most important marriage ceremony to be performed. Cheers!
can you explain further? What makes traditional wedding the most important instead of white wedding and if am not mistaken,traditional marriage favours the man,but registry and white wedding favours the woman,so please explain,thanks
Re: Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by vivie01(f): 2:29pm On Oct 09, 2017
Traditional marriage or customary marriage is the main form of marriage which is recognized by custom and supported by the holy book as well (Bible) though it varies from one tribe to another, It is important because its the only aspect of marriage that gives full recognition of parents' approval of the union and whereby a bride price or dowry is paid to the bride's parents alongside other items as may be required by the bride's family. However, in my opinion and based on knowledge garnered, civil or court wedding allows for legal recognition of the marriage by the State according to law especially when it comes to the right of the woman in a marriage because men used to hide under the traditional one to perpetrate their mischievous acts.

Traditional wedding is the most important wedding going by religion/custom while statutory/legal wedding is very important in protecting, fighting and securing the marriage women's right under various Acts that guides the union.

5 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by Pemmy15: 4:34pm On Oct 09, 2017
The Marriage Act of Nigeria does recognize traditional or customary marriage as legal marriages and under such you are just as "protected" as you would be having done any other ceremony (i.e. court or church)...with the exception of the bigamy law because obviously with traditional beliefs you can have multiple wives. Even with that trust naija men sha if they want more than one "wife" it won't matter how you were married.
But yes even courts (even immigration) acknowledges the legality of customary marriages and will award child support etc. The problem comes in the proving that you're married as you typically don't have documents of trads...that's where women end up being burned. The solution is just as a poster said above. Have an affidavit done that serves as a legally binding certificate.
I've researched this extensively because I am planning on just having a trad and have our pastor bless the union...but I personally find all the other stuff over kill and an unnecessary expense... getting married three times! Really undecided

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by davidif: 9:20pm On Jan 06, 2018
Mrsprof:
Since it is only marriage certificate can ascertain that one is actually married based on if one wants to do certain things that required marriage certificate,and we all know that no certificate is been issued in traditional marriage... My question now is, does it mean traditional marraige alone is not recorgnise in our society, and is it possible for one to obtain certicate without court or church wedding? If yes, how

So before white people came to Africa, marriages were not valid and bimding?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by KanwuliaExtra: 9:26pm On Jan 06, 2018
Why does it matter? undecided

No certificates in traditional marriages.
Inferiority complex of Nigerian traditions ke! grin
Only the WHITE tradition is superior.
Blame colonial mentalities and “I must marry for CHURCH” tinz.

Then get a registration of your marriage in court.
No need for wedding.

Simple.

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by davidif: 5:18pm On Jan 07, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:
Why does it matter? undecided

No certificates in traditional marriages.
Inferiority complex of Nigerian traditions ke! grin
Only the WHITE tradition is superior.
Blame colonial mentalities and “I must marry for CHURCH” tinz.

Then get a registration of your marriage in court.
No need for wedding.

Simple.

You dey mind them?
Re: Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by bobkezel(m): 9:09am On Oct 21, 2019
Pemmy15:
The Marriage Act of Nigeria does recognize traditional or customary marriage as legal marriages and under such you are just as "protected" as you would be having done any other ceremony (i.e. court or church)...with the exception of the bigamy law because obviously with traditional beliefs you can have multiple wives. Even with that trust naija men sha if they want more than one "wife" it won't matter how you were married.
But yes even courts (even immigration) acknowledges the legality of customary marriages and will award child support etc. The problem comes in the proving that you're married as you typically don't have documents of trads...that's where women end up being burned. The solution is just as a poster said above. Have an affidavit done that serves as a legally binding certificate.
I've researched this extensively because I am planning on just having a trad and have our pastor bless the union...but I personally find all the other stuff over kill and an unnecessary expense... getting married three times! Really undecided
Did you finally succeed?
Re: Traditional Marriage Alone Not Authentic by IamNotWariz: 1:41pm On Oct 21, 2019
Nice thread and enlightening

(1) (Reply)

What A Woman Can Do, A Man Can Do More Better / Please Help My Kids And I To Survive / Meet The Most Expensive Wine In The World, Sold For 250 Million Naira Per Bottle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.