Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,744 members, 7,955,840 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:46 PM

African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award (14860 Views)

Top Seven Most Expensive Cars Owned By African Footballers / Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time / Which Are The Top 10 African Footballers At The Moment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by vandarsar(m): 4:46pm On Mar 09, 2013
Hey Benni wasn't pivotal for SA in '96. Bukina '98 was his year and as per the poster you're responding to, he probably just started watching soccer.

chucky234: McCarthy was the reason why South Africa won the Nations cup in 1996 and was joint top scorer at Burkina Faso '98,he was also instrumental in Porto winning the Champions's league and scored in the final against Monaco as well as the semi final against Man U at Old Traford.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Jarus(m): 4:46pm On Mar 09, 2013
chiefololade:
Check ur facts well before posting it here, he was not on d shortlist in 2004. It was Ronaldinho, Henry and Shevchenko.. He got his name on d shortlist in 2005. Stop misleading people!
A mix-up definitely. Which you could have corrected without insulting. Trusted my head, didn't bother to consult internet.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by vandarsar(m): 4:52pm On Mar 09, 2013
Yes, the award is now a joke!!! No one thinks highly of it anymore. Seriously, I'll win this shit if I can bribe Mustapha and Hayatou.

femmy2010:

Has the Award become a joke?
TARA wetin?
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by autchman144(m): 4:52pm On Mar 09, 2013
kinda French-dominated stuff
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by pat077: 5:59pm On Mar 09, 2013
okocha's chance of winning d AFOY was diminish bcoz hedid nt play d UEFA champs leg and he neva won a major sliverware in europe. FINIDI shld ve won it coz he was once acclaimed as d best winger in d world.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by jadakiss213(m): 6:28pm On Mar 09, 2013
akorlade: Mustapha hadji should have won it atleast once.
Hadji won d '98 edition
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by BrutusOj(m): 6:33pm On Mar 09, 2013
ifihearam:

Okacha is a disgrace,upon all the skill and over hyped dribbling he has nothing to show for,all he is interest was just money.
I hate insults,bt I wu insult u dis evening for dis stupid coment..ur an idiot!!how is Okocha a disgrace?he shud av bribe FIFA to include his name on d fifa player award?or bribe CAF to giv him d award?he played a classic n entertaining football upon wch a lot of stars now learn his dribling skills..he inovated leg ova wch Ronaldihno lata took ova n now C.Ronald..what's ur beef wit him now?dat he didn't play for Man U,Chelsea,Madrid or Barcelona?he was an inspirational n movitational player n remain a role model to many players despite not winin any title...

2 Likes

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Tropilo(m): 7:29pm On Mar 09, 2013
Jarus: I think 2013 is a huge opportunity for another Nigerian to win APotY award since 1999. No top African performer now. Eto'o and Drogba are out. Yaya is the major obstacle. If Mikel and Moses play well at Confederations cup, a Nigerian may clinch it.

Voting pattern is d deciding factor now.

It will be very difficult for someone from an English speaking country to win now.

There's this solidarity amongst the French speaking countries lately for such awards. Just like the BBC handing a French speaking African it own award.

This was Austen Okocha's undoing. Just check, since the new voting pattern started its been the French Africans all the way. Starting with Mustapha Hadji.

Besides the general beef for Nigerians.

@OP: Did not see any of these gentlemen in your list:
Tony Yeboah (Ghana), Ordiatey Lamtey (Ghana), Lualua (Congo), M. Fufana, Stephen Keshi (the guy that opened our eyes to international professional soccer, the best libero of his time in Europe, Nigeria's longest serving captain and most influencial player ever, first full blooded African to captain a grade "A" European club: Anderlet FC, Belgium).

List is limitless though!
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by felixtare(m): 7:45pm On Mar 09, 2013
DMainMan:

Okocha caused it. He is very stingy and likes money so much. Big clubs wanted him but ignored dem at his prime.

Dat is y it is always gud to b gud. Help d needy, show luv and care to d poor. B a philantropist. It is d repercussion dat he is facing now. I dont pity him at all.

Why don,t you ask jj make he tell you is own part of d story.dat apart u fit play football,I no even blive you dey gud in wat you re doing.

1 Like

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by jljunayd1: 8:40pm On Mar 09, 2013
femi4: We dey talk about African player, u dey mention Cannavaro
no mind am,na so one idiot mention cr7 n messi
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Ibime(m): 8:45pm On Mar 09, 2013
Fadiga never rose above Auxerre level and would never be in contention for the list. Unfortunately for him, by the time he made his big move, his heart problems surfaced.

Ahmed Hassan, Aboutrika, Tony Yeboah and Finidi George can consider themselves unlucky not to win.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by kolamilan(m): 8:47pm On Mar 09, 2013
femi4: AFCON winner 94
Olympic gold medalist 96
African footballer of d year 98 (BBC)
What else do u want?
not only in 98 also in 03 and 04
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by yommys01(m): 9:22pm On Mar 09, 2013
Lero15: so u mean man u & chelsea wd pay less to dat of bolton?
When he left PSG, he had many offers but chose Bolton cos they offered the biggest bonus. The archive is your friend here mate.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Ninilowo(m): 10:08pm On Mar 09, 2013
femi4: AFCON winner 94
Olympic gold medalist 96
African footballer of d year 98 (BBC)
What else do u want?
I wonder oo.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Ninilowo(m): 10:13pm On Mar 09, 2013
Cmoyor: Wat of Sunday Mba
No, na Monday Mba.

1 Like

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Ninilowo(m): 10:18pm On Mar 09, 2013
Freiburger: Benni McCarthy & j j Okorcha deserved something.
Both if them were victims of politics cos the time they suppose to win it it was repeatedly given to Etoo courtesy of isa hayatou.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Regiblinkz(m): 11:27pm On Mar 09, 2013
ifihearam:

Okacha is a disgrace,upon all the skill and over hyped dribbling he has nothing to show for,all he is interest was just money.
please sir if you don't have anything nice to say just STFU!!!*ur english badt gan*
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by woye77: 2:03am On Mar 10, 2013
rabbah madjer of algeria should be on that list smiley smiley wink sad
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by eldoc2003(m): 8:01am On Mar 10, 2013
the_ripper: Kinda unfair to Aboutreika. The dude balled, but most times this African footballer award favours those who play in European leagues. Dont think I know an African dat won it playing for an African club.
Emmanuel Amuneke won it in 1994 as a Zamalek player,I think he is d only player
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Nobody: 8:18am On Mar 10, 2013
Seydou Keita was a Vastly UnderRated Footballer when just going by pure skill

Had some of his prime years not been "Trapped" playing behind Immortal Midfielders at Barca i think he could have had a much more successful career

Alwayz Liked Him as a Complete Footballer
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by BinghiNya(m): 8:31am On Mar 10, 2013
Lero15: so u mean man u & chelsea wd pay less to dat of bolton?
j.j never won a single game against united at bolton check your records
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Nobody: 8:32am On Mar 10, 2013
JJ was Ight......wasn't all that tho.

Flash isn't Substance
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by EmperorSpecie(m): 2:44pm On Mar 10, 2013
BrutusOj: I hate insults,bt I wu insult u dis evening for dis stupid coment..ur an idiot!!how is Okocha a disgrace?he shud av bribe FIFA to include his name on d fifa player award?or bribe CAF to giv him d award?he played a classic n entertaining football upon wch a lot of stars now learn his dribling skills..he inovated leg ova wch Ronaldihno lata took ova n now C.Ronald..what's ur beef wit him now?dat he didn't play for Man U,Chelsea,Madrid or Barcelona?he was an inspirational n movitational player n remain a role model to many players despite not winin any title...

Jxt shatttaaaapp....!!!!!
Okocha Invented wetin? Ronaldinho is far better a player dan Okocha.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 10, 2013
He didn't say he invented it...

He said he Innovated It......

I think that's what he meant to write, Unless that's a Typo

If It Isn't and he Meant Innovated It...Then There might be some truth to that
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Jarus(m): 8:17pm On Mar 10, 2013
Ninilowo:
Both if them were victims of politics cos the time they suppose to win it it was repeatedly given to Etoo courtesy of isa hayatou.
Nigerians sha. Maybe Isa Hayatou also influenced Eto'o winning 3rd best player in the world then, Barcelona's player of the year (ahead of Ronaldinho), and helped him score 30 La Liga goals. Truth be told, Eto'o outshone JJ in those year. Not an Hayatou matter.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Nobody: 9:20pm On Mar 10, 2013
Eto'o is/was always on a whole nother Level...
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Soloblincus(m): 11:22pm On Mar 11, 2013
Titi camara, henry camara, nomvete, solomon olembe, dos santos, aghawonder, uche okechukwu to mention but a few
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Soloblincus(m): 11:26pm On Mar 11, 2013
Shabani nonda

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Brighton Score Late Equaliser To Draw At Chelsea / Finally,An ultra-modern Stadium is being built in Nigeria. / Ighalo Blasts Critics Over Super Eagles Comeback

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.