Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,769 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time (37179 Views)

Africa's Top 10 Richest Footballers Of All Time / Top Seven Most Expensive Cars Owned By African Footballers / Who Are Your Best Footballers Of All-time? (the Players You Watched Play) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Sagamite(m): 10:23pm On Jan 26, 2013
1. Samuel Etoo (Cameroun) - Striker
2. George Weah (Liberia) - Striker
3. Didier Drogba (CIV) - Striker
4. Roger Milla (Cameroun) - Striker
5. Salif Keïta (Mali) - Striker
6. Abedi Pele (Ghana) - Midfielder
7. Thomas N'kono (Cameroun) - Goalkeeper
8. Michael Essien (Ghana) - Midfielder
9. Mahmoud El-Khatib (Egypt) - Striker L
10. Joseph-Antoine Bell (Cameroun) - Goalkeeper
11. Hossam Hassan (Egypt) - Striker L
12. Samuel Kuffour (Ghana) - Defender
13. Bruce Grobbelaar (Zimbabwe) - Goalkeeper
14. Kalusha Bwalya (Zambia) - Midfielder
15. Laurent Pokou (CIV) - Striker
16. Godfrey Chitalu (Zambia) - Striker L
17. Yaya Toure (CIV) - Midfielder
18. Jacques Songo'o (Cameroun) - Goalkeeper
19. Rabah Madjer (Algeria) - Striker
20. Jay Jay Okocha (Nigeria) - Midfielder
21. Bwanga Tshimen (Zaire) - Defender L
22. Tony Yeboah (Ghana) - Striker
23. Rashidi Yekini (Nigeria) - Striker
24. Carlos Kameni (Cameroun) - Goalkeeper
25. Kanu Nwankwo (Nigeria) - Striker
26. Lakhdar Belloumi (Algeria) - Midfielder L
27. Rigobert Song (Cameroun) - Defender
28. Segun Odegbami (Nigeria) - Midfielder L
29. Finidi George (Nigeria) - Midfielder
30. Noureddine Naybet(Morroco) - Defender

7 Camerounians
5 Nigerians
4 Ghanians
3 Ivorians
2 Egyptians, Algerians, Zambians
1 Liberian, Malian, Zimbabwean, Zairean, Moroccan

L - Denotes a player who played majority or all their career outside Europe.
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by semid4lyfe(m): 12:23am On Jan 27, 2013
No space for Frederick Kanoute, Mustapha Hadji, Joel Tiehi, Odartey Lamptey, Lucas Radebe, Edward Ansah?

And you have Joseph Antoine Belle and Thomas N'kono in the Top 10 whilst players like *Rabha Madjer*, Rashidi Yekini, Kanu Nwankwo, Tony Yeboah etc are ranked between 20 - 30? shocked

Ridiculous!

If I were an editor of a sports paper and I ask you to come up with a ranking of African Greatest Footballers and you give me this, I'll toss it into the bin straight.

42 Likes

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by kramer: 12:32am On Jan 27, 2013
Is this ranked in order?? If yes how is essien ranked higher than okocha And why is odegbami ranked so low

7 Likes

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by browneyes7(f): 12:34am On Jan 27, 2013
@op I agree. dz Ȋ̝̊̅§ nt fair 2 rasheed yekini, he deserves beta.

1 Like

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 27, 2013
If it is random,I'm satisfied with the Nigerians that made the list.They did Nigeria proud during theirs days.if not,I disagree.
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Nobody: 12:35am On Jan 27, 2013
It was done alphabetically

1 Like

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Afam4eva(m): 12:36am On Jan 27, 2013
What did Finidi George do for the super eagles that other players did not do? Same with Segun Odegbami.

Is the list in order of how great the players were?
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Nobody: 12:37am On Jan 27, 2013
I have problem with the ranking. Kanu should be among the top three.

1 Like

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Nobody: 12:38am On Jan 27, 2013
chiover: It was done alphabetically

How ?
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by mallorca(m): 12:39am On Jan 27, 2013
semid4lyfe: No space for Frederick Kanoute, Mustapha Hadji, Joel Tiehi, Odartey Lamptey, Lucas Radebe, Edward Ansah?

And you have Joseph Antoine Belle and Thomas N'kono in the Top 10 whilst players like *Rabha Madjer*, Rashidi Yekini, Kanu Nwankwo, Tony Yeboah etc are ranked between 20 - 30? shocked

Ridiculous!

If I were an editor of a sports paper and I ask you to come up with a ranking of African Greatest Footballers and you give me this, I'll toss it into the bin straight.

God blees you my guy,Micheal Essien make his yeye list while players like Stephen Appiah, Victor Ikpeba,Musa Hadji,El DIouf,Amunike,Sunday Oliser,Tony Yeboa,Taribo,Uche Okechukwu did not make the list,anyway na him opinion sha

5 Likes

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Hakim27: 12:40am On Jan 27, 2013
Okocha should be top 3.....that is a true footballer

4 Likes

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by femmy2010(m): 12:41am On Jan 27, 2013
Cameroun are always blessed with good goal keepers.
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:43am On Jan 27, 2013
Marc Vivien Foe(Cameroon) midfielder
Omam Biyik(Cameroon) striker
Alioum Boukar(Cameroon) goalkeeper . Only undefeated goalkeeper in Afcon history.

1 Like

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:44am On Jan 27, 2013
mallorca:
God blees you my guy,Micheal Essien make his yeye list while players like Stephen Appiah, Victor Ikpeba,Musa Hadji,El DIouf,Amunike,Sunday Oliser,Tony Yeboa,Taribo,Uche Okechukwu did not make the list,anyway na him opinion sha
thunder fire you El diouf ke? Are you all right what have they achieved in their club and countries?
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Sagamite(m): 12:49am On Jan 27, 2013
semid4lyfe: No space for Frederick Kanoute, Mustapha Hadji, Joel Tiehi, Odartey Lamptey, Lucas Radebe, Edward Ansah?

Ridiculous!

Are you having a laugh?

Ode-to-tee who? grin

Apart from Lucas Radebe, which ratirati people are you naming? grin

Amuse me. Tell me where you would have slotted your Ode-to-tee and co.

You want to compare Rashidi Yekini and Kanu to keepers that were regarded as some of the best in Europe?

kramer: Is this ranked in order?? If yes how is essien ranked higher than okocha And why is odegbami ranked so low

The same Michael Essien that was listed as one of the World best for 4-5 successvie seasons and being star player of winning teams is who you want to compare with Okocha and Odegbami?

You having a laugh?

Afam4eva: What did Finidi George do for the super eagles that other players did not do? Same with Segun Odegbami.

Is the list in order of how great the players were?

Finidi was once one of the best 3 right wingers in the World and a key player in a Champions League winning football beauty team. His downside that made him lower is lack of longevity at being at the top.

Prof Corruption: I have problem with the ranking. Kanu should be among the top three.

Weed?
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Sagamite(m): 12:51am On Jan 27, 2013
mallorca:

Never let me hear you talk about football again in your life!

Amunike, Oliseh, Diouf Ikpeba etc being compared to Essien.

Don't ever open your mouth to talk about football again.

2 Likes

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Sagamite(m): 12:52am On Jan 27, 2013
CAMNEWTON4PRES: Marc Vivien Foe(Cameroon) midfielder
Alioum Boukar(Cameroon) goalkeeper . Only undefeated goalkeeper in Afcon history.

Marc Vivien Foe kon, John Marco Whittington ni!

Alioum Boukar ko, Wasiu Shittu ni!
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Afam4eva(m): 12:52am On Jan 27, 2013
Sagamite:

Apart from winning the UCL with chelsea even as a fringe player, what's Essien's individual achievements as a footballer?

4 Likes

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Jbols2001(m): 12:54am On Jan 27, 2013
?
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Lanspower(m): 12:55am On Jan 27, 2013
Have you forgotten Charles Akunor (Ghana)? Ismail Bassole (CIV, he scored their 2 goals against Nigeria in the Semis of 1994), What of our own Benedict Iroha ( a world class defender who 'executed' Traore and Tehi of CIV in the 1994 Semi to prevent them from causing Havoc to us), and your list could not even recorgnize Dodo Mayana, Peter Rufai the great!, as far as African Cup of Nation is concerned, Rufia remains one of the safest hands! and pls tell me the criteria you used to prepare the list that put Rashidi Yekini down down the list.

1 Like

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Sagamite(m): 12:55am On Jan 27, 2013
Afam4eva:
Apart from winning the UCL with chelsea even as a fringe player, what's Essien's individual achievements as a footballer?

I am about to go through the top 10 to explain it a bit.

Jbols2001: and where is George Weah??

At Specsavers! grin
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:57am On Jan 27, 2013
Sagamite:

Marc Vivien Foe kon, John Marco Whittington ni!

Alioum Boukar ko, Wasiu Shittu ni!
Alioum was better than Bell
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by tglobal(m): 12:58am On Jan 27, 2013
CAMNEWTON4PRES: Marc Vivien Foe(Cameroon) midfielder

Alain Gouamene and Boubacar Barry ( both of Ivory Coast) like Alioum Boukar did'nt concede a goal in regulation time in 1992 and 2012 Afcons respectively
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 1:00am On Jan 27, 2013
tglobal:

Alain Gouamene and Boubacar Barry ( both of Ivory Coast) like Alioum Boukar did'nt concede a goal in regulation time in 1992 and 2012 Afcons respectively
ooo really, thanks didn't know. But he won the competition that year tongue
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by chic2pimp(m): 1:00am On Jan 27, 2013
Abedi Pele should most definitely be in the top 5. Either above or just below Miller.

The top 6 are certainties IMHO

1 Like

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by mallorca(m): 1:04am On Jan 27, 2013
Sagamite:

i dont argue with ppl like you who claims to know it all,
Amunike won African footballer of year 1997
Ikpeba won it 1997
El Ddiouf won it consecutive 2001/2002.
now tell me how can someone who won african footballer of year consecutively did not make your list?

7 Likes

Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by aieromon(m): 1:05am On Jan 27, 2013
I woke up and stumbled on this thread.

*goes back to sleep
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Nightshift(m): 1:06am On Jan 27, 2013
Some people may disagree, but Christain Chukwu(a defender) and Emmanuel Okalla(goalkeeper) were African's best in their position during their time for Rangers and Nigeria. Emmanuel Kunde(a defender) was also another African's best for Cannon Sportive and Cameroon .
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by tglobal(m): 1:06am On Jan 27, 2013
My opinion of the top 6 is in alignment with yours, though I probably would swap Abedi Pele with Salif Keita
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by chic2pimp(m): 1:09am On Jan 27, 2013
Prof Corruption: I have problem with the ranking. Kanu should be among the top three.

Pass what u are smoking to me pls.

Kanu and okocha should be nowhere near the top 6.

Afam4eva: Is the list in order of how great the players were?

Think it's based on how well they played for both club and country
Re: Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time by Afam4eva(m): 1:12am On Jan 27, 2013
Nightshift: Some people may disagree but Christain Chukwu(a defender) and Emmanuel Okalla(goalkeeper) were African's best in their position during their time for Rangers and Nigeria.

I wonder why Christian Chukwu didn't make the list too despite being the captain too. Maybe because he was a defender.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Manchester United Appoints Ralf Rangnick As Interim Manager (Pix) / Shakhtar Donetsk's Junior Coach Killed In Ukraine Crisis / Floyd Mayweather's 10 Most Expensive Cars In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.