Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,413 members, 7,819,481 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit (25070 Views)

Thousands Return To Borno After Boko Haram Ouster / FG Names Abuja Streets After Jonathan, Sambo, Atiku, 185 Others / Obasanjo Faces Investigation 24 Hours After Jonathan’s Reply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Orpelin: 9:44pm On Mar 08, 2013
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Seven loud explosions shook Nigeria's northeastern city of Maiduguri on Friday, witnesses said, hours after President Goodluck Jonathan ended a trip there to try to galvanize support for his battle against Islamist insurgents.
Witnesses said the explosions happened within minutes of each other, suggesting the kind of coordinated strike that used to be the hallmark of Islamist sect Boko Haram, before a military campaign weakened them. They remain the main security headache to Africa's top energy producer.
President Jonathan spent the night in Maiduguri, the epicenter of the insurgency, which seeks to carve an Islamist state out of religiously mixed Nigeria. It was his first trip to the troubled northeast since becoming president.
During it, he poured cold water on the idea of an amnesty for
Islamist fighters and urged the region's tribal elders to do more to help fight the insurgents.
The blasts in the Jajeri ward of the city occurred about five hours after he left in the afternoon, witnesses said.
"I heard seven explosions successively. They were huge, but I
have no way of knowing whether the explosions hurt anybody,"
Jajeri resident Usman Abubakar told Reuters by telephone.
There was no word on casualties and a security forces spokesman for the northeast was not immediately available for comment.
Earlier in the day Jonathan gave a speech in which he called on tribal elders to wheedle out the Islamists in their midst.
Traditional leaders accuse the security forces of being too heavy handed and indiscriminate, killing dozens of civilians.
"Instead of condemning the operations of the JTF (military and police joint task force) we should work to fight the insurgency," Jonathan said, replying to the criticism.
"Unless the Elders of Borno condemn and fight Boko Haram the people of the state shall continue to suffer from their attacks," he added.
Jonathan said on Thursday he was not ready to offer an amnesty to members of Boko Haram, brushing aside a proposal from the country's most senior Muslim spiritual leader, the Sultan of Sokoto.
Attempts to establish contact with secretive organization for
negotiations last year yielded no results, and the sect's self-
proclaimed leader Abubakar Shekau last week rejected the whole notion of peace talks in a video.
Some analysts say Boko Haram has become a label used by a
disparate collection of armed groups spread across the north, some of which, including Shekau's, have been trained by al Qaeda- linked Islamists in Mali and Niger.
Criminal gangs have also sprung up, taking advantage of
worsening security in the region. Boko Haram has regularly
targeted soldiers, police, government officials and Christians.
http://www.ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCABRE92714320130308?sp=true
Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Patuwa: 10:05pm On Mar 08, 2013
When other people are turning their states into tourist centre, Borno state is turning into a Somalia. Boko cowards should have come out when GEJ is still around.

33 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Patuwa: 10:06pm On Mar 08, 2013
Good one there. Thats the state the NYSC posted corpers to serve in. Even Ebele Goodluck is not safe there. If I must serve in that state as a corper, the government should give me a licensed automatic AK47 for my personal security.

12 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by gramci: 10:06pm On Mar 08, 2013
Bloody cowards, your days are numbered

3 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by kettykin: 10:07pm On Mar 08, 2013
Orpelin:

The blasts in the Jajeri ward of the city occurred about five hours after he left in the afternoon, witnesses said.

Cowards !!!!why una no strike when he dey there fools

7 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by omiobo: 10:09pm On Mar 08, 2013
angry
Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Slickest(m): 10:14pm On Mar 08, 2013
omiobo: angry
Mofos........u missed
Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by mrhotcoin(m): 10:17pm On Mar 08, 2013
Orpelin:

so you boko cowards waited until he left?
what massage are u guys trying to send then

1 Like

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by ArQueBusieR(m): 10:18pm On Mar 08, 2013
Terrorism and cowardice: an inseperable pair. Spiritually ill dimwits.

3 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Artistree: 10:19pm On Mar 08, 2013
1st John 5:19.
Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by ideee03(f): 10:21pm On Mar 08, 2013
Patuwa: Good one there. Thats the state the NYSC posted corpers to serve in. Even Ebele Goodluck is not safe there. If I must serve in that state as a corper, the government should give me a licensed automatic AK47 for my personal security.
Yeye you,tell me how that's gonna be of help.

4 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by AkinDavid2: 10:22pm On Mar 08, 2013
Explosions or Fireworks..Unrepentant BH, why not in the morning then the President would have found his sword useful

3 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by UnknownMember: 10:23pm On Mar 08, 2013
Unnecessary Gragra.

APC visits Borno and walk on the streets, donate 500 thousand dollars to Boko Haram and leave... no explosions.

President Goodluck Jonathan visits Borno, says NO AMNESTY FOR BOKO HARAM and leaves.. explosions.

Yet people's still say Boko boys are PDP and not APC.

I dey laugh!

2015... The fresh air must continue.

48 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 08, 2013
Yeeeee cheesy. GEJ is safe with the sword in his hand!! Dem suppose blow him contour head off!!!

1 Like

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 08, 2013
Bunch of COWARDS ....your day of judgment is at hand .

2 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Akshow: 10:23pm On Mar 08, 2013
Artistree: 1st John 5:19.
What has this got to do wit the fact that GEJ 'tough words' did not stop this momfos from striking again
Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Greatken007(m): 10:24pm On Mar 08, 2013
THEY ARE LOOSING OUT ALREADY AND ITS QUITE OBVIOUS,YOU CANT WIN GOVT,AMNESTY IS FOR PEOPLE YOU CAN SEE AND NOT FOR HIDE AND SEEK PPLE,GEJ I SALUTE YOU WITH MY 2 LEGS UP

5 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by StevenJay01(m): 10:24pm On Mar 08, 2013
na dem sabi jare!by nau I tink d region shud av been extinct by nau by d numerous bombings!wu cares if an atomic bomb is detonated***Region of Morons***i lost my sympathy 4 d fools wen I ran to d airport wit my boxers durin last electn crises @ kano

4 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Nobody: 10:26pm On Mar 08, 2013
There is ENDLESS shooting in area now. I no know weda na ARM ROBBERS or POLICE dey shoot gun for ova 30 minutes.
Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by alabig(m): 10:27pm On Mar 08, 2013
They refused to embrace wisdom and choosed the way of violence.
Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by collinsola: 10:28pm On Mar 08, 2013
If them born una well,una for strike when PRESIDO they around know.

Idiot BOKO RAMS.

2 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by donsax: 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2013
Coward!!!!why can't you go and bomb the hotel he slept even if it will take 100 suciders of your member and achieve a tangible thing or finish the game
This shows they aiint after gej or any notable politicians just to disturb is government by killing innocent civilians!!!
May God destroy them as they take common men lives for political gain and Who so ever their sponsors!

11 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by lafuria1(m): 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2013
Unknown Member: Unnecessary Gragra.

APC visits Borno and walk on the streets, donate 500 thousand dollars to Boko Haram and leave... no explosions.

President Goodluck Jonathan visits Borno, says NO AMNESTY FOR BOKO HARAM and leaves.. explosions.

I dey laugh!

seriously? where have you been? no explosion when APC visited? end of discussion. and by the way, it was five hours afta jona left that the explosion took place.

6 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by gramci: 10:32pm On Mar 08, 2013
la furia:

seriously? where have you been? no explosion when APC visited? end of discussion. and by the way, it was five hours afta jona left that the explosion took place.

See them, I have bad news for you. You are not getting any amnesty tongue

5 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by bigfat04(m): 10:32pm On Mar 08, 2013
[size=15pt]DOES D BOKO HARAM GROUP INTERNATIONAL WANT TO KILL OUR PRESIDENT ?[/size]

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 08, 2013
What the president said while he was in Borno have been in the background since 12noon today. No front page for it, despite the fact that the thread is almost on its 3rd page. But reports of explosions that happened just this evening have made front page.

It shows that we have sadist as moderators here and these moderators are doing a dis-service to NL. Shame on these moderators.

22 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by UnknownMember: 10:34pm On Mar 08, 2013
la furia:

Well, if there was, I didn't see the report.
Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by UnknownMember: 10:36pm On Mar 08, 2013
Patuwa: Good one there. Thats the state the NYSC posted corpers to serve in. Even Ebele Goodluck is not safe there. If I must serve in that state as a corper, the government should give me a licensed automatic AK47 for my personal security.

You wan shoot bomb?!

2 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by oluwadare26(m): 10:36pm On Mar 08, 2013

I dey laugh!

I pity your future! C the way u just reasoned like a Cockroach...

11 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by oddy4real(m): 10:39pm On Mar 08, 2013

I dey laugh!

Foooolishness personified

8 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by UnknownMember: 10:40pm On Mar 08, 2013
oluwadare26:

I pity your future! C the way u just reasoned like a Cockroach...

At least I have a future and can reason...

You on the other hand.... #No Future to look forward to. Better go join Boko Haram so you can be put to good use as a suicide bomber.

19 Likes

Re: Explosions In Borno After Jonathan's Visit by jude33084(m): 10:41pm On Mar 08, 2013
Why would the Sultan even bring himself as low as to ask for Amnesty for blood suckers like Bharam. And he even used the word "oppression" to decribe what FG is doing to Bharam? shocked

Was that guy high? angry

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

1,700 Voter Cards Found In A Forest In Lagos (PHOTO) / How I Delivered Good Governance To Rivers State - Amaechi - Premium Times / Buhari: Selfish Elite Behind Criticism Of My Appointments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.