Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 (1106 Views)

N15,000 Per Hour As Pc Or Laptop Doctor (free Diy Ebook Guide) / See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade / Download Bluestacks For Windows 7/8 & MAC PC (offline Installer) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by AjanleKoko: 4:30pm On Mar 11, 2013
Looks like Samsung does not 'send' MS anymore embarassed
Welcome to the new world grin

As PC sales stall, Samsung exec has harsh words for Windows 8

With Windows 8 doing little to spark laptop sales, you can hear the grousing of PC makers get louder.

The latest complaints come from Jun Dong-Soo, president of Samsung's memory chip division, who had no kind words for Windows 8 during a meeting with reporters in Seoul.

"The global PC industry is steadily shrinking despite the launch of Windows 8," he said Friday, according to Korea Times. "I think the Windows 8 system is no better than the previous Windows Vista platform."

Jun's statements echo findings by IDC and Gartner, who found that PC sales declined during the holiday shopping season. Jun added that Microsoft's Surface has seen "lackluster demand," and that demands for thinner Ultrabooks by Microsoft and Intel failed "mostly because of the less-competitive Windows platform."

Samsung isn't the first company to have an executive publicly complain about Windows 8. In January, Acer President Jim Wong said that "Windows 8 itself is still not successful," noting that the market had not returned to growth after the new OS launched.

Acer C7 Chromebook

Wong was more encouraged by the growth of Acer's Chromebooks, the latest of which launched in late 2012.

Meanwhile, HP, the world's number one PC maker, is exploring other options beyond Windows.The company released its first Chromebook in February, and will ship its first Android tablet in April. (HP hasn't dissed Windows 8 publicly, but hardware boss Todd Bradley did fling a few insults at Microsoft's Surface RT and Windows RT in November.)

Little compelling hardware for Win 8?

It does seem disingenuous for PC makers to pin the blame solely on Microsoft's operating system, as if the hardware is without fault. So far, PC makers haven't put forth much in the way of compelling Windows 8 hybrids and convertibles, and the ones that did launch late last year were in short supply.

There's evidence that people are interested in touch-based Windows 8 machines—Asus admitted as much this week, even as the company said overall Windows 8 acceptance was low—but the selection needs improvement.

It's possible that next-generation processors from Intel and AMD, along with refinements to the Windows software in an update codenamed Windows Blue, could make for a healthy second wave of software.

Microsoft is also rumored to slash licensing costs for small, touch-based laptops and hybrids, which could improve Windows 8's chances on the low end of the market. Maybe that's what PC makers are hoping to accomplish with their public grumblings.

Source: http://tech.ca.msn.com/as-pc-sales-stall-samsung-exec-has-harsh-words-for-windows-8-1
Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:53pm On Mar 11, 2013
Tell Jun dong-soo to chill out. Samsung is not competing with Microsoft. Windows 8 isn't supposed to boost PC sales at all, thats not Microsoft's plan. Windows 8 is built to compete with Apple. Did you know that Apple became the largest technology company in the world only after it released the iPhone and the iPad? And also when the iPad came out, it sold more than ALL Microsoft products combined? The software giant had to fight back. And they did by releasing windows 8. One operating system that can run on tablets and on PCs.
The real battle I think is between Microsoft Surface Pro and Apple iPad. Samsung should focus on beating Apple's iPhone. After all the main goal of these hardware makers is "faster and smaller". There are lots of mobile phones with dual core processors. Tablets are the new in-thing. The chrome books, the iPads, the Surface Pro, and so on.
Why on earth would someone be advocating for PC sales

1 Like

Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 4:13pm On Mar 13, 2013
^
Why on earth would anyone be advocating for PC sales? People in the PC industry can't just fold their hands and watch the industry shrink to death. Samsung's Jung Dong Soo has every right to express his displeasure about Win 8 slow sales. As you rightly stated Samsung is not competing with MS - they are partners and they are doing so for profit, so slow Win 8 uptake means low returns for Samsung.

In the battle between the Microsoft Surface and Apple's iPad, Apple is certainly winning and by a large margin too but I think that MS' strategy with Win 8, if executed properly, can turn things around significantly for MS.
Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by AjanleKoko: 5:06pm On Mar 13, 2013
Bawss1: ^
Why on earth would anyone be advocating for PC sales? People in the PC industry can't just fold their hands and watch the industry shrink to death. Samsung's Jung Dong Soo has every right to express his displeasure about Win 8 slow sales. As you rightly stated Samsung is not competing with MS - they are partners and they are doing so for profit, so slow Win 8 uptake means low returns for Samsung.

In the battle between the Microsoft Surface and Apple's iPad, Apple is certainly winning and by a large margin too but I think that MS' strategy with Win 8, if executed properly, can turn things around significantly for MS.

Is Samsung in the PC business or in the consumer-electronics business?
Nobody but Dell and HP seem to be in that business any more undecided
Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:17pm On Mar 13, 2013
I think the PC industry will continue to shrink but it won't die, because it is still relevant in business environments, government agencies & ministries, universities, etc. But it is obvious that the tablet devices are taking over. They are small enough to carry about and powerful enough to perform most of your common computing tasks ie word processing, data processing, email checking, gaming, internet browsing, reading, etc. The next best thing; Cloud Computing, just makes things worse for the PC industry. Because with Cloud Computing, bulk of the processing and storage is done on the server which makes the 'power' of your computer not so much relevant. Office 365 and Google Docs are examples of online word processing applications, no install needed, just have a web browser thats all. Services like Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive make file sharing between PC and mobile easier with their auto sync feature. Like the old days where terminals send data to a mainframe for processing and then the mainframe returns the result to the terminal. It is therefore wise for the hardware makers to enter into this new tablet market, and make small and powerful devices. Apple is the first one in so it has the largest share for now. Google is in with chrome book, nexus 7 etc. Microsoft has Surface RT and Surface Pro. Amazon has kindle. HP just introduced their own tablet, Slate. Samsung has Galaxy Tab. After all said, the PC will still be relevant in the enterprise environment, but the industry is growing smaller. Windows 8 is a failure when you are using it on a non-touch device. One of the reasons why most people complain about windows 8 is that, navigation is difficult. Performing gestures with mouse instead of finger is just daunting. Windows 8 on touch screen device is awesome. Microsoft will definitely fix these issues on Windows Blue (windows 8 update)
Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 9:21am On Mar 14, 2013
Windows 8 is certainly not a failure, yes there is something of a learning curve involved in getting to use it effectively, and that is what many will complain about but it offers huge gains; the ability to have the desktop experience on mobile. I don’t understand when people complain about using a mouse on metro, it seems all right with me and if it really was a problem then there is the option to switch back to desktop.

It’s true that the PC market is shrinking; it’s a mature market with almost no room for growth. Where the possibilities lie for traditional PC makers is in adapting their offerings for the mobile world. MS is gunning to seamlessly merge the desktop and mobile experience, that’s their strategy with Win 8.
Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 1:49pm On Mar 15, 2013
There I was feeling sorry for Samsung only for them to reveal their true intent: one of Samsung’s co-CEO recently stated that “"Smartphones and tablets based on Microsoft's Windows operating system aren't selling very well. There is a preference in the market for Android. In Europe, we're also seeing lackluster demand for Windows-based products." (http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/15/jk-shin-no-demand-windows-products/?hubRefSrc=email#lf_comment=63541480)

The line in bold is far from the truth! WP8 is indeed gaining market share in Europe, besides Samsung hasn’t been marketing their Windows 8 based products like their android ones and yet they expect wonderful sales. Let them continue to cry like babies, they are expecting others to do the work for them while they scoop the rewards. Keep crying Samsung.
Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by AjanleKoko: 1:51pm On Mar 15, 2013
Bawss1: There I was feeling sorry for Samsung only for them to reveal their true intent: one of Samsung’s co-CEO recently stated that “"Smartphones and tablets based on Microsoft's Windows operating system aren't selling very well. There is a preference in the market for Android. In Europe, we're also seeing lackluster demand for Windows-based products."

The line in bold is far from the truth! WP8 is indeed gaining market share in Europe, besides Samsung hasn’t been marketing their Windows 8 based products like their android ones and yet they expect wonderful sales. Let them continue to cry like babies, they are expecting others to do the work for them while they scoop the rewards. Keep crying Samsung.

Samsung isn't crying oh.
Sounds more like they are sending a message to MS.
Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 1:58pm On Mar 15, 2013
I wonder what kind of message they are passing. Samsung is obviously burning bridges if you ask me.
Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by lekside44(m): 3:41pm On Apr 29, 2013
Microsoft has lost his dominance of the competing world of the computer it dominated and monopoliesed in the 1990's. Thanks to the Ipad and iphone of Apple computers which led the way for others. Sorry microsoft.
Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 4:31pm On Apr 29, 2013
^ Save your condolences, the apocalypse is still a long way off for MS.
Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by onegig(m): 5:42pm On Apr 29, 2013
bawss . As much as you might wanna defend microsoft.

Windows 8 is way out . I mean why would i have such graphichs wrenching os on my system. We pc users want more effectiveness. i dont want my pc to be like a smartphone. I want an efficient os. Just posit seeing windows 8 on a corporate office pc or a programmer's pc. What we want is an efficient os and not graphics and scrolling desktop screens. Also Microsoft shot itself by implementing the windows store idea on windows 8. Go as game developers if they would be interested in developing more games.

Microsoft has lost focus. If you want to fight the smartphone and tablet market develop an os for them stop lumping the desktop pc's with smartphone. They don't just converge. I have promised never to instal windows 8 and i won't because of the "distractions"

1 Like

Re: As PC Sales Stall, Samsung Exec Has Harsh Words For Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 7:43am On Apr 30, 2013
onegig: bawss . As much as you might wanna defend microsoft.

Windows 8 is way out . I mean why would i have such graphichs wrenching os on my system. We pc users want more effectiveness. i dont want my pc to be like a smartphone. I want an efficient os. Just posit seeing windows 8 on a corporate office pc or a programmer's pc. What we want is an efficient os and not graphics and scrolling desktop screens. Also Microsoft shot itself by implementing the windows store idea on windows 8. Go as game developers if they would be interested in developing more games.

Microsoft has lost focus. If you want to fight the smartphone and tablet market develop an os for them stop lumping the desktop pc's with smartphone. They don't just converge. I have promised never to instal windows 8 and i won't because of the "distractions"

Windows 8 is graphics wrenching? Honestly, I don't know what you mean by that. When I read complaints about W8 I wonder if the complainers have actually used the OS in the first place. For people who for some reason or the other are bothered by the metro layout,or those whose work requires the traditional desktop layout there is and has always been the Windows key to toggle between layouts. Some people may not like W8 for their own reasons but when you suggest that W8 is a less efficient OS such talk will be speedily dismissed as unfounded. How its unsuited for programming is unclear and a bogus statement too. The usual complaints from users is that of the start button (or lack of), the fact that it boots straight to the start screen and the somewhat limited ability to customize in metro. . . and its to that effect that MS is releasing Windows Blue abi Windows 8.1, kind of like a service pack for W8 with bug fixes and updates and the likes.

(1) (Reply)

Yahclick, Your Experience / Browse In The Daytime With Your Mtn 3gig Night Plan / What To Look Out For When Buying A Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.