Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,585 members, 7,958,814 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 02:42 AM

Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi (1723 Views)

Buhari Didn’t Sign Any Loan Deal With China – Presidency / Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans / Was Colonialism Good For Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi by Nobody: 12:26am On Mar 12, 2013
Africa must get real about Chinese ties - FT
By Lamido Sanusi

It is time for Africans to wake up to the realities of their romance with China.
Nigeria, a country with a large domestic market of more than 160m people, spends huge resources importing consumer goods from China that should be produced locally. We buy textiles, fabric, leather goods, tomato paste, starch, furniture, electronics, building materials and plastic goods. I could go on.

The Chinese, on the other hand, buy Nigeria’s crude oil. In much of Africa, they have set up huge mining operations. They have also built infrastructure. But, with exceptions, they have done so using equipment and labour imported from home, without transferring skills to local communities.

So China takes our primary goods and sells us manufactured ones. This was also the essence of colonialism. The British went to Africa and India to secure raw materials and markets. Africa is now willingly opening itself up to a new form of imperialism.

The days of the Non-Aligned Movement that united us after colonialism are gone. China is no longer a fellow under-developed economy – it is the world’s second- biggest, capable of the same forms of exploitation as the west. It is a significant contributor to Africa’s deindustrialisation and underdevelopment.

My father was Nigeria’s ambassador to Beijing in the early 1970s. He adored Chairman Mao Zedong’s China, which for him was one in which the black African – seen everywhere else at the time as inferior – was worthy of respect.

His experience was not unique. A romantic view of China is quite common among African imaginations – including mine. Before his sojourn in Beijing, he was the typical Europhile, committed to a vision of African “progress” defined by replicating western ways of doing things. Afterwards, when he became permanent secretary in the external affairs ministry, the influence of China’s anti-colonial stance was written all over the foreign policy he crafted, backing liberation movements in Portuguese colonies and challenging South Africa’s apartheid regime.

This African love of China is founded on a vision of the country as a saviour, a partner, a model. But working as governor of Nigeria’s central bank has given me pause for thought. We cannot blame the Chinese, or any other foreign power, for our country’s problems. We must blame ourselves for our fuel subsidy scams, for oil theft in the Niger Delta, for our neglect of agriculture and education, and for our limitless tolerance of incompetence. That said, it is a critical precondition for development in Nigeria and the rest of Africa that we remove the rose-tinted glasses through which we view China.

Three decades ago, China had a significant advantage over Africa in its cheap labour costs. It is losing that advantage as its economy grows and prosperity spreads. Africa must seize the moment. We must encourage a shift from consuming Chinese-made goods to making and consuming our own. We must add value to our own agricultural products. Nigeria and other oil producers need to refine crude; build petrochemical industries and use gas reserves – at present often squandered in flaring at oil wells – for power generation and gas-based industries such as fertiliser production.

For Africa to realise its economic potential, we need to build first-class infrastructure. This should service an afro-centric vision of economic policies. African nations will not develop by selling commodities to Europe, America and China. We may not be able to compete immediately in selling manufactured goods to Europe. But in the short term, with the right infrastructure, we have a huge domestic market. Here, we must see China for what it is: a competitor.
We must not only produce locally goods in which we can build comparative advantage, but also actively fight off Chinese imports promoted by predatory policies. Finally, while African labour may be cheaper than China’s, productivity remains very low. Investment in technical and vocational education is critical.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights.

Africa must recognise that China – like the US, Russia, Britain, Brazil and the rest – is in Africa not for African interests but its own. The romance must be replaced by hard-nosed economic thinking. Engagement must be on terms that allow the Chinese to make money while developing the continent, such as incentives to set up manufacturing on African soil and policies to ensure employment of Africans.
Being my father’s son, I cannot recommend a divorce. However, a review of the exploitative elements in this marital contract is long overdue. Every romance begins with partners blind to each other’s flaws before the scales fall away and we see the partner, warts and all. We may remain together – but at least there are no illusions

The writer has been governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria since 2009. The views expressed in this article are his own

Source

1 Like

Re: Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi by koruji(m): 12:58am On Mar 12, 2013
There was never a Non-aligned movement in reality.
Everybody chose sides or played both sides.
China and Nigeria actually played both sides.
China won; Nigeria lost out. I wonder why?
It is not just a whiff of colonialism.
The whole dish is colonialism!!!
Re: Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi by Ngwakwe: 1:05am On Mar 12, 2013
Sanusi Lamido has become CIA newest recruit.

America, you too much.

I just dey laugh as I talk in riddles.

Next
Re: Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi by Nobody: 1:14am On Mar 12, 2013
Blaming China for the lop-sided type of trade that happens in its business relationship with Nigeria/Africa is pretty dumb to be honest... You don't expect them to govern your country and effect the right policies for you, do you At least they pay far more than the west is willing to pay for the resources they buy and they don't interfere with how you choose to run your country...Heck, the minimal developments happening in Africa in the last decade has been because of China.... So, it's time for Africa/Nigeria to get its acts together and do the right thing - the blame game is becoming boring now, to be honest...

The West on the other hand plundered your wealth/resources; gave you weapons to kill yourselves in form of foreign aids; sponsored all the coup plotters and dictators on the continent; and paid little or nothing for your resources...

Whiff of colonialism, or not - I'll choose China over any Western country... At the end of the day, they have the best bargain right now - and history will judge China as the country that created the little hope in Africa right now - and the sole reason why most Africans at home and in diaspora are starting to believe in the "dark continent" again...

Get your acts together and stop whining... Time to look at the man in the mirror, ride on this wave, do the right thing, and move Africa/Nigeria to where it actually belongs in the world...
Re: Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi by Nobody: 1:17am On Mar 12, 2013
Ngwakwe: Sanusi Lamido has become CIA newest recruit.

America, you too much.

I just dey laugh as I talk in riddles.

Next

Isn't that why he has a cosy relationship with Christine Lagarde

And this clown once labelled himself a marxist, no?? He's a joker!!

Next!
Re: Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi by PapaBrowne(m): 4:19am On Mar 12, 2013
shymexx: Blaming China for the lop-sided type of trade that happens in its business relationship with Nigeria/Africa is pretty dumb to be honest... You don't expect them to govern your country and effect the right policies for you, do you At least they pay far more than the west is willing to pay for the resources they buy and they don't interfere with how you choose to run your country...Heck, the minimal developments happening in Africa in the last decade has been because of China.... So, it's time for Africa/Nigeria to get its acts together and do the right thing - the blame game is becoming boring now, to be honest...

The West on the other hand plundered your wealth/resources; gave you weapons to kill yourselves in form of foreign aids; sponsored all the coup plotters and dictators on the continent; and paid little or nothing for your resources...

Whiff of colonialism, or not - I'll choose China over any Western country... At the end of the day, they have the best bargain right now - and history will judge China as the country that created the little hope in Africa right now - and the sole reason why most Africans at home and in diaspora are starting to believe in the "dark continent" again...

Get your acts together and stop whining... Time to look at the man in the mirror, ride on this wave, do the right thing, and move Africa/Nigeria to where it actually belongs in the world...

I didnt see where he blamed China for our woes. He simply said we should see China as competition and and know that they are here for thier own interests just like the colonial masters were. And his big advise is that we should stop consuming Chinese and manufacture for ourselves.

Obviously, you just read the headline!
Re: Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi by Nobody: 4:29am On Mar 12, 2013
PapaBrowne:
I didnt see where he blamed China for our woes. He simply said we should see China as competition and and know that they are here for thier own interests just like the colonial masters were. And his big advise is that we should stop consuming Chinese and manufacture for ourselves.

It's obvious you're the one who didn't read the article - you probably just read the highlighted bits...

Read these excerpts:

But, with exceptions, they have done so using equipment and labour imported from home, without transferring skills to local communities.

So China takes our primary goods and sells us manufactured ones. This was also the essence of colonialism.

^^^If the two excerpts don't show he was playing the blame game - I don't know what they're... China using equipments and labour from home has more to do with the lack of equipments and the work ethics of the average Nigerian... The Chinese do their jobs with the highest professionalism with no pu.ssyfooting around...

And China taking your primary goods and selling manufactured goods to you has nothing to do with China but the lack of industralisation in Nigeria... and also the lack of foresight by your incompetent leaders... The Chinese will only buy what you're selling and when you only sell primary goods, what do you expect them to buy??
Re: Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 12, 2013
In this article, Sanusi raised some anxieties which are never far from the mind of most independent African thinkers, and he did so in the most objective manner possible.

A romantic view of China is quite common among African imaginations – including mine. Before his sojourn in Beijing, he was the typical Europhile, committed to a vision of African “progress” defined by replicating western ways of doing things. Afterwards, when he became permanent secretary in the external affairs ministry, the influence of China’s anti-colonial stance was written all over the foreign policy he crafted, backing liberation movements in Portuguese colonies and challenging South Africa’s apartheid regime

@Ngwakwe, how you or anyone can, therefore, ascribe the role of a CIA stooge to him is completely beyond me.

Is it that we have become so beclouded by a blinkered outlook, that any opinion emanating from those who consider other perspectives is now worthy only of contempt and derision?

@Shymexx, I am also at a loss to explain how you equate Sanusi's enjoinment (below) with being in a "a cosy relationship with Christine Lagarde".

We must not only produce locally goods in which we can build comparative advantage, but also actively fight off Chinese imports promoted by predatory policies. Finally, while African labour may be cheaper than China’s, productivity remains very low. Investment in technical and vocational education is critical.
Re: Relationship With China Has A Whiff Of Colonialism - Lamido Sanusi by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 12, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Hard to see how anyone can arrive at any other conclusion, really.

(1) (Reply)

How Reuben Abati Lambasted Jonathan's Wife Before He Got A Job In Aso Rock / Stop Insulting Jonathan, Presidency Warns / Heavy Traffic In Lagos As President Jonathan Visits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.