Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,248 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! (19555 Views)

Beans Lovers Come In / Moin-moin: To Peel Or Not To Peel The Beans / Fish Lovers Come On In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Case33(m): 4:06pm On Mar 16, 2013
[quote author=kevoh]
The correct word is moi-moi, just like spaghetti,pizza for the italians, taco for the mexicans, I can proudly say moi-moi for Nigerians.

Why do you have to find an english word when English should adopt ours when it comes to food? Same goes for akara (not bean cake), eba, amala e.t.c[/quote

Spaghetti for italians is not pizza, its pasta which also includes macaroni,indomie n anything of dt kind of family n its NOT d same as taco for d mexicans! Bless u
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by aieromon(m): 4:07pm On Mar 16, 2013
My favorite food makes the front page.

I dey come back to comment,abeg.

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Fhemmmy: 4:19pm On Mar 16, 2013
This kinda thread is painful without the mouth watering pix of those Moin Moin made in a kitchen made in heaven . . . cry
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Marcela04: 4:33pm On Mar 16, 2013
InesQor:

My dear Yield kiss

Hahahahah one whole night? Haaaa

Yes o. Soaking it too long will make the beans puffed up, and the skin will be harder to peel. About one hour on the average is good.

Tip 1: Get a piece of sackcloth and clean it properly, cut it into two. Next time you want to make Moin Moin, Soak beans for one hour to 90 mins (max), wrap the sackcloth around your hands and then scrub the beans like you're washing clothes. It'll come off real easy.

Tip 2: If you're in a hurry, soak the beans using hot (not boiling) water. This way the skin will be ready to come off in like 30 minutes.

Invite me when you make some next, I go chop o smiley
30mins is 2 much nt 2 talk of 90mins. Max 4 soakin beans is 15 mins.

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 16, 2013
I lv dis delicacy very well but my problem is d blender to use in blending it.presently where I live I don't trust d commercial grinders around so I use beans flour but I prefer d real thing from d scratch. Pls can anybody tell me d blender to buy for it.somebody adviced me to go for imported second hand.I need a practical advice pls.thanks

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by hbabe(f): 4:50pm On Mar 16, 2013
I love eating moi-moi but the preparation is too tasking and the smell of raw beans is not very pleasant.

Fhemmmy: This kinda thread is painful without the mouth watering pix of those Moin Moin made in a kitchen made in heaven . . . cry

My thoughts exactly.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Fhemmmy: 4:51pm On Mar 16, 2013
yellowpawpaw: I lv dis delicacy very well but my problem is d blender to use in blending it.presently where I live I don't trust d commercial grinders around so I use beans flour but I prefer d real thing from d scratch. Pls can anybody tell me d blender to buy for it.somebody adviced me to go for imported second hand.I need a practical advice pls.thanks

Let us Pre-Order a nice and reliable blender for you and your "Moin Moin"ed"" yourself well . . . grin
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 4:53pm On Mar 16, 2013
undecidedMy best meal bt my stomach dnt lyk it cos u kno watz up/runin stomach
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by RTRUTH: 5:08pm On Mar 16, 2013
yellowpawpaw: I lv dis delicacy very well but my problem is d blender to use in blending it.presently where I live I don't trust d commercial grinders around so I use beans flour but I prefer d real thing from d scratch. Pls can anybody tell me d blender to buy for it.somebody adviced me to go for imported second hand.I need a practical advice pls.thanks

i have a friend that uses her philips blender and it works fine.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Fhemmmy: 5:14pm On Mar 16, 2013
R TRUTH:

i have a friend that uses her philips blender and it works fine.

Na wa for you oh, you no wan make i do business? tongue
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by seunny4lif(m): 5:36pm On Mar 16, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Na wa for you oh, you no wan make i do business? tongue
Chia,business don start oooo....Nw moin moin moin hw many times I don call u?Pls,someone should upload the pics pls,so dat I fit soak my garri well with the pics....It has been 2yrs,nw I never eat am.....God pls help me make I fit relax my mind....
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Fhemmmy: 5:50pm On Mar 16, 2013
seunny4lif: Chia,business don start oooo....Nw moin moin moin hw many times I don call u?Pls,someone should upload the pics pls,so dat I fit soak my garri well with the pics....It has been 2yrs,nw I never eat am.....God pls help me make I fit relax my mind....

Will this help . . . ?

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 16, 2013
WAO,I THOUGHT I WAS A ONE MAN GANG MOIN MOIN LOVER! THATS MY BEST MEAL THERE WHETHER WITH RICE OR BREAD OR G4...USED TO GET ABOUT 15 BIG WRAPS OF IT PREPARED ON SUNDAY NIGHT AND TAKE TO MY FORMER PLACE OF WORK AND PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER. AND I NEVER MISS MIXING THE GROUND MIX WITH 8 RAW EGGS WHICH GAVE IT AN AWESOME TASTE,TOO. SOMEDAY AM GONNA MAKE IT A GIVEN TO HAVE MY LOVELY MAAIN MAAIN YEPO A READY MEAL,SNACK,EAT-AWAY IN MOI CRIB..AM 6FT7+ AND I GUESS MY LOVE FOR THIS STEAMED BAAINS POWDER ACCOUNTS FOR THAT...AND AM WONDERING HOW TALL AND CUTE ALL THE PRETTIE HONNIES IN LOVE WITH DA DELICACY HERE ARE AS WELL.

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by dnawah(m): 6:11pm On Mar 16, 2013
Igbo people say"new things dey carry like wine and when person wake up na him be him morning"grin
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by seunny4lif(m): 6:21pm On Mar 16, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Will this help . . . ?
Guy,wetin nw?I said moin moin made in naija by nigerians not the one some angels in heaven made....I almost finish the garri bt post naija own with leaf ooooooh.cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Fhemmmy: 6:27pm On Mar 16, 2013
seunny4lif: Guy,wetin nw?I said moin moin made in naija by nigerians not the one some angels in heaven made....I almost finish the garri bt post naija own with leaf ooooooh.cheesycheesycheesy

I have not seen one of those in almost 10 years oh cry
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 16, 2013
SO SURPRISED MY THREAD MADE FRONT PAGE!! *DANCING AZONTO*. grin grin
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Ivynwa(f): 7:33pm On Mar 16, 2013
Mr Fhemmy that your moin moin look so orange coloured, did they grind in pumpkin in it? If not then perhaps it has plenty curry powder or the tomato used therein are the unripe tomatoes. grin No vex-o-o just saying, apart from that it does look inviting but moin moins with that colour are hard to come by. It's always pink/tomato coloured and lovely. Omo we Nigerians like and eat so much plenty tomato that after eating all that tomato sauce/stew and tomato based food I don't want any piece of tomato in my sandwich again, I always remove fresh tomato from my sandwich telling myself "I eat enough of that already" lol besides I find tomato too acidic even when one can't resist it in stews etc.

I have a good way of quickly getting off chaffs from black eyed peas/beans. I grind it in a blender for a few seconds say 40 seconds to one minute while watching it to make sure that it doesn't blend and get saucy, in other words the blender will break the beans apart thereby tearing out the chaffs. I will pour it out and start removing the chaffs with plenty water poured inside it which makes the chaff to float and can easily run off while draining water from the beans.

You can use a grater to sieve the water if you have the time to pick up some that may want to run off with the chaffs etc. If you have to use this method you have to add additional beans to make up for a little beans that may be blended too fine and run off while sieving. The beans gets blended soft and saucy for the last time after all the chaffs have been removed.

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Ivynwa(f): 7:40pm On Mar 16, 2013
Rexxie: WAO,I THOUGHT I WAS A ONE MAN GANG MOIN MOIN LOVER! THATS MY BEST MEAL THERE WHETHER WITH RICE OR BREAD OR G4...USED TO GET ABOUT 15 BIG WRAPS OF IT PREPARED ON SUNDAY NIGHT AND TAKE TO MY FORMER PLACE OF WORK AND PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER. AND I NEVER MISS MIXING THE GROUND MIX WITH 8 RAW EGGS WHICH GAVE IT AN AWESOME TASTE,TOO. SOMEDAY AM GONNA MAKE IT A GIVEN TO HAVE MY LOVELY MAAIN MAAIN YEPO A READY MEAL,SNACK,EAT-AWAY IN MOI CRIB..AM 6FT7+ AND I GUESS MY LOVE FOR THIS STEAMED BAAINS POWDER ACCOUNTS FOR THAT...AND AM WONDERING HOW TALL AND CUTE ALL THE PRETTIE HONNIES IN LOVE WITH DA DELICACY HERE ARE AS WELL.

Raw egg added into moin moin paste?---that will be lovely. I just borrowed a recipe. Thanks
I can't wait to try that, it sure will be very yummistic. I've only added cut-up boiled eggs, meat, fish, corn beef, carrots etc but not raw egg.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by goofie: 7:47pm On Mar 16, 2013
InesQor:

Nice one! Hope the beans won't get crushed in the process though?

u dont actually pound it.u jst turn d pestle round and round on the beans lightly to remove d back. i cook moimoi wit smoked fish,crafish, or i use corned beef, raw eggs, chopped liver,etc. love it!
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by whitecat007: 7:52pm On Mar 16, 2013
Please share, I can eat it 24/7 but for the preparation

slimyem: Exactly what I had for breakfast today..
I made it in pans.Good moin moin leaves are a rarity here.
Very delicious!!
Peeling is usually easy for me.My iya-alakara neighbour showed me the secret.smileywink
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by seunny4lif(m): 7:58pm On Mar 16, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I have not seen one of those in almost 10 years oh cry
Really?Why?Pls,me self never chop moin moin for at least 3yrs nw maybe by God's grace I go chop nxt month.....
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Ivynwa(f): 8:01pm On Mar 16, 2013
goofie:

u dont actually pound it.u jst turn d pestle round and round on the beans lightly to remove d back. i cook moimoi wit smoked fish,crafish, or i use corned beef, raw eggs, chopped liver,etc. love it!

You know this your method of (rolling the pestle on it for a while without truly grinding it) is the same as the "Grind it/break it down a bit" with blender method that i use to remove the chaffs. In the absence of blender I use your method, that is the method Momma taught me.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 8:04pm On Mar 16, 2013
kevoh: Please ladies stop putting fish, egg, meat, chicken e.t.c inside your moi-moi abeg, It's more like a mission searching for liver or fish when I should just eat my moi-moi and enjoy it.

Let's keep our moi-moi simple abeg. tongue

Thank you o
I wonder why people put all that crap in moi moi
Like it were a treasure hunt
If I want to eat fish and beef,I cook fish and beef,why put it inside moi moi
I like moi moi plain
The most I want in it is corned beef occasionally and nothing more
If I open up moi moi and see anything inside,I won't touch it.

My moi moi

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 8:10pm On Mar 16, 2013
I'm learning a lot from this thread. Thank you all! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by InesQor(m): 8:11pm On Mar 16, 2013
Yield: SO SURPRISED MY THREAD MADE FRONT PAGE!! *DANCING AZONTO*. grin grin

Yaaaaaaaay! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by InesQor(m): 8:14pm On Mar 16, 2013
@nwando

That your Moin Moin picture is scary o

*runs away*
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by whitecat007: 8:17pm On Mar 16, 2013
Two weeks ago when I had some friends over and was going to treat them to my all time favorite food{moin-moin}my guest actually thought I was having a seizure and needed Ambulance during the peeling as they kept asking me if I was okay.

With so many moin-moin lovers, we should be inventing a special peeler for beans

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2013
Yield: I made moin-moin for the first time a few weeks ago and let me tell you, I've found my new favourite food! The only difficult part is getting the skin off the black-eyed beans with your hands, pheew! But once you get past that part, the process becomes much more enjoyable and fun. I made my own containers using aluminium foil too. I've heard some people use bean flour to make things easier, but I want to be making it from scratch and won't be using bean flour. Oh, how I love moin-moin! I love eating beans in general, so this is a more fun way to eat one of my favourite foods.

Do you like moyin-moyin? Have you made it yourself before? How often do you eat it?
[b]
What methods do you use to remove the skin? Do you have tricks that make it easier for you to do so?

What types of meat do you put in the mix? How long do you cook your moyin-moyin?

Any other comments about moin-moin? Share them here!

[/b]

I soak for an hour and put in batches in the blender at the chop cycle for 4 seconds each
Then put in water And the skin comes off easily
You lose some beans but the washing is a breeze

Thankfully here in the USA the African stores now sell skinless dried beans or chopped beans with skin and all you need to do is soak and the skin floats on top.

Forget all that fish and pork inside moi moi

Just blend the beans with onions and add Maggi to it
Put some stew or stir fry tomatoes with onions and blend together with the beans
Add your salt,pepper,vegetable oil and crayfish ( if you like crayfish),Cameroon pepper
If you must add anything else,use corned beef and or beaten raw eggs.
Your moi moi will come out delicious,I promise

Thyme,curry and those other spices spoil the taste IMHO

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by goofie: 8:19pm On Mar 16, 2013
whitecat007: Two weeks ago when I had some friends over and was going to treat them to my all time favorite food{moin-moin}my guest actually thought I was having a seizure and needed Ambulance during the peeling as they kept asking me if I was okay.

With so many moin-moin lovers, we should be inventing a special peeler for beans

i second d beans peeler
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 8:20pm On Mar 16, 2013
whitecat007: Two weeks ago when I had some friends over and was going to treat them to my all time favorite food{moin-moin}my guest actually thought I was having a seizure and needed Ambulance during the peeling as they kept asking me if I was okay.

Try blending the soaked beans for a few seconds
It works

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Make Meat Pie Without Oven, Use Your Pot (Photos, Video) / Cooking Made So Easy / Five Health Benefits Of Agbalumo (african Cherry/star Apple)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.