Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,945 members, 7,952,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:48 AM

Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? (5216 Views)

Father, Two Daughters Die In Lagos Explosion (photos) / Two Die In Enugu Community Over Adulterous Woman / AT The Age Of 12 Her DAD Still Baths Her In The Bathroom. "Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by bawomolo(m): 10:36pm On Mar 25, 2008
Given that most civillized people accept women are equal to men. is there still a place for chivalry?? i believe no since women should be able to perform similar duties as men and shouldn't be treated as fragile beings. chivalry is a remnant of victorian era sexism so why should it continue to exist. i see no reason why it is job of men to open the doors or pay for dates all the time. anyway state your viewpoint
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Mar 25, 2008
bawomolo:

Given that most civillized people accept women are equal to men. is there still a place for chivalry?? i believe no since women should be able to perform similar duties as men and shouldn't be treated as fragile beings. chivalry is a remnant of victorian era sexism so why should it continue to exist. i see no reason why it is job of men to open the doors or[b] pay for dates all the time[/b]. anyway state your viewpoint

Broke@$$
you're right. . .we should all go and stab chivalry in the back. . .and there are still chivalrous guys around? in this century? you're kidding me right?

anywaz, my own 2cents:
i think there's a diff b/w respecting a woman and being chivalrously to her. . . its better to show a woman that she is equal by respecting her in high esteem (that is if she earns it) than to treat her "chivalrously" as your inferior. . .

[size=5pt][center]i hate chivalrous guys most time, bunch of annoying, lying, scheming snakes. . .[/center][/size]
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by bawomolo(m): 11:00pm On Mar 25, 2008
so does that mean u are paying for our wedding grin grin
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 25, 2008
bawomolo:

so does that mean u are paying for our wedding grin grin
sorry, i can't leave my Husband. . i love him dearly embarassed
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by iice(f): 9:59am On Mar 26, 2008
I still think it exists but it's rare.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 26, 2008
The word (chivalry) itself is unpopular.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by ifyalways(f): 10:36pm On Mar 26, 2008
stillwater:

The word (chivalry) itself is unpopular.
rofl
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by almondjoy(f): 3:02pm On Mar 27, 2008
bawomolo:

Given that most civillized people accept women are equal to men. is there still a place for chivalry?? i believe no since women should be able to perform similar duties as men and shouldn't be treated as fragile beings. chivalry is a remnant of victorian era sexism so why should it continue to exist. i see no reason why it is job of men to open the doors or pay for dates all the time. anyway state your viewpoint

Is this an element of African culture or Victorian culture? undecided Please can you help me with some instances in African folklore if you don't mind!

Was there a "victorian" era in Africa or did I sleep through all ma African history classes of "Sundiata and Mansa Musa"?

Queen Amina? undecided

1 Like

Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by bawomolo(m): 9:16pm On Mar 27, 2008
Was there a "victorian" era in Africa or did I sleep through all ma African history classes of "Sundiata and Mansa Musa"?

Queen Amina?

i don't think chilvary ever existed in african culture. well maybe egyptian culture.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Mar 27, 2008
Chivalry starts and ends in Queen Elizabeth's front porch
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by ariblaze(m): 9:37pm On Mar 27, 2008
Chivalry and gender equality dont mix!

if a guy demostrates this attitude to a lady

simply means he is patronising her when he says he considers her his equal
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Mar 27, 2008
Let's not rule out the fact the some guys open doors for woman out of courtesy. It just has to do with the mindset at which he does the gallantry stuff.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by bawomolo(m): 10:05pm On Mar 27, 2008
Let's not rule out the fact the some guys open doors for woman out of courtesy. It just has to do with the mindset at which he does the gallantry stuff.

i open the door for everyone out of courtesy. it's proper manners but i don't see how women should be treated speciallly. they are equal aren't they.

Chivalry and gender equality don't mix!

agreed
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Dreloaded(f): 10:11pm On Mar 27, 2008
You find the most ridiculous things to whine about, bawomolo

Dont open the door then abi? I dont think anyone cares if you do or dont wink

Infact if you see a crippled woman sef, dont even open the door. Infact lock the door. Let her use her womanly strength to figure it out.

My friend, are you bored? Should I send you some chemical calculations?
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by bawomolo(m): 10:22pm On Mar 27, 2008
You find the most ridiculous things to whine about, bawomolo

Dont open the door then abi? I don't think anyone cares if you do or don't 

Infact if you see a crippled woman sef, don't even open the door. Infact lock the door. Let her use her womanly strength to figure it out.

oh jeez, i already said u should open the door for anyone in need. it's proper manners to open the door for anyone behind u.  the problem arises when a woman expects someone to slide a sit for her or open the door.  since when did i propose that disabled people shouldn't be tend to

My friend, are you bored? Should I send you some chemical calculations?

Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Mar 27, 2008
From bawomolo's numerous posts he poses to be defensive anytime subjects of gender equality arise. That's the vibe I get from him. lipsrsealed
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by bawomolo(m): 10:39pm On Mar 27, 2008
From bawomolo's numerous posts he poses to be defensive anytime subjects of gender equality arise. That's the vibe I get from him.

i've never argued against gender equality. my argument is on what terms equality should be achieved. it's hard for women to be seen as equals if gender roles aren't questioned.

Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 27, 2008
That picture is absurd. Who waits for a man to get the door for them? Definitely not Nigeran girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue Whoever gets there first should open the door.

Personally, we are not really equal!!!!! Don't ask.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by bawomolo(m): 12:09am On Mar 28, 2008
Personally, we are not really equal!!!!! Don't ask.

we are not all equal individually but i won't base that on gender.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by tpia: 12:18am On Mar 28, 2008
if someone has to debate and think about whether to hold the door open or slam it in someone's face, then what can anyone say. undecided

Gender is irrelevant in this context. Call it chivalry, politeness, common courtesy, or whatever- it all depends on the individual. cool

this is why I like automatic doors.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Dreloaded(f): 12:25am On Mar 28, 2008
tpia:

if someone has to debate and think about whether to hold the door open or slam it in someone's face, then what can anyone say. undecided

Mannerless children looking for excuses to prove that that they werent raised right
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by TheSly: 12:37am On Mar 28, 2008
i don't think chilvary ever existed in african culture. well maybe egyptian culture.
uhh uhh its Chinese culture! tongue
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by bawomolo(m): 2:27am On Mar 28, 2008
Gender is irrelevant in this context. Call it chivalry, politeness, common courtesy, or whatever- it all depends on the individual

there's a big difference between chivalry and being a gentleman.

Mannerless children looking for excuses to prove that that they werent raised right

oh ok
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by unforgiven: 9:49am On Mar 28, 2008
Somehow, i think "they" have been able to eat their cake and have it.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:55am On Mar 28, 2008
To say men and women are equal is to resign "gender" to meaninglessness! Men and women are "equal" only in certain well-defined and narrow contexts - rights, benefits, labor relations, etc. This attempt at "gender blindness" is at the heart of the emerging but deep social fissures in Western societies.

@poster,
Chivalry still exists but not at levels of yore. However, the vast majority of women still enjoy and desire that "special attention". The remarkable chivalry displayed by Leonardo DiCaprio's character in the movie Titanic was so much admired by women that tens of thousands dragged their boyfriends or husbands to go see the movie two, three, four, five, six or more times. That movie remains the No.1 box-office grossing movie of all time, worldwide (1997 $1.8 billion) - the power of chivalry in our era!
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by damkollins(m): 1:14pm On Mar 28, 2008
@ Poster
Everybody seems to believe that Chivalry is dead because somewhere along the line,we got it pounded into our heads that chivalry and equality can not co-exist.

Some replies (to me) don't seem to have a thorough understanding of what Chivalry really is/was.They might have seen it as an act of courtesy or deference and interpreted it as a result of the condescending attitude.What they missed is the respect and mutual admiration which such an act of chivalry conveys.If they had looked at it from that angle,there would never be any talk about it's death.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by uchetobi(f): 2:27pm On Mar 28, 2008
Chivalry is a subject to the individual, do it if you want to
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Dreloaded(f): 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2008
RichyBlacK:

@poster,
Chivalry still exists but not at levels of yore. However, the vast majority of women still enjoy and desire that "special attention". The remarkable chivalry displayed by Leonardo DiCaprio's character in the movie Titanic was so much admired by women that tens of thousands dragged their boyfriends or husbands to go see the movie two, three, four, five, six or more times. That movie remains the No.1 box-office grossing movie of all time, worldwide (1997 $1.8 billion) - the power of chivalry in our era!

Oh Please.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by krazzee(f): 4:53pm On Mar 28, 2008
Its a pity many of us think that chivalry consists of a bunch of laid down 'European' behaviours. Chivalry goes deeper than that, chivalry is the fulfilment of God's commandment that we should love the other as we love ourselves. Chivalry is what makes you treat every woman as your sister and every man as your brother not minding race, tradition or religion. To me chivalry is love, you dont have to think before you treat someone the right way. smiley

1 Like

Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by bawomolo(m): 7:23pm On Mar 28, 2008
Chivalry goes deeper than that, chivalry is the fulfilment of God's commandment that we should love the other as we love ourselves.

i think u are the one confused about what chivalry is, chivalry relates to how a man treats his "special prize" with care.

Chivalry is what makes you treat every woman as your sister and every man as your brother not minding race, tradition or religion.

how have EVERY woman earned the right to be treated as a sister?? isn't such as outlook unrealistic.

To me chivalry is love, you don't have to think before you treat someone the right way.

actually u should think before making an action. chivalry isn't a birth given right, u have to earn the treatment.

and can people pls stop hating on titanic.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Dreloaded(f): 8:53pm On Mar 28, 2008
make me.
Re: Should Chivalry Die In This Age Of Equality? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Mar 28, 2008
Lmao. I hate titaniccccccccccc!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Wife Cannot Cope With My Sex Needs / Hubby Doesnt Communicate / Married Women Hear Me Out Today:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.