Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,778 members, 7,813,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Atiku Backs APC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Backs APC (1052 Views)

Bayesa Guber: Patience Jonathan Dumps PDP, Backs APC Candidate, Sylva / Bayelsa Guber: Patience Jonathan Dumps PDP, Backs APC Candidate, Sylva / National Assembly Crisis: Buhari Backs Apc’s Stand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Backs APC by cross50(m): 6:36pm On Mar 14, 2013
Former vice president, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar yesterday openly supported the emergence of the All Progressives Congress (APC), describing the development as a way towards having a strong and viable political opposition in the country.

The former VP bared his mind at the public lecture organized by the Department of Political Science, University of Ibadan, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary held at the large Lecture Theatre, Faculty of Social Sciences of the institution. The Turakin of Adamawa, who spoke on the topic, “Thoughts on Internal Democracy in Nigerian Political Parties: Challenges and Strategies,” said he had for a long time been a strong advocate of a two-party system, confessing that: “I am pleased that progress is being made in that regard, with the recent emergence of the All Progressive Congress (APC).”

He posited that two-party system was the best way to have parties that cut across the various regional, ethnic and religious fault-lines, adding: “It is also the only guarantee of a viable alternative to the ruling party, which is critical to keeping the ruling party from taking the electorate for granted.” Having identified the avalanche of problems confronting internal democracy and their evil effects, the former Nigerian number two citizen called for comprehensive political reform in Nigeria, which must include change in the manner of the appointment and tenure of the chairman and commissioners of the Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC) in such a way that the commission would not be a willing tool in the hands of sitting president.

He noted that: “The reforms will not only seek to bring about direct changes in the way the parties conduct their affairs, but change the electoral system in a manner that will leave the political parties little choice, but to promote internal democracy as a survival strategy.” Other components of the reform as suggested by the former vice president, include funding of the electoral umpire from “the first line charge of the Consolidated Revenue Fund,” to make it less dependent on the government in power.

Also, the former VP said there should be effective monitoring of parties, to ensure conformity with the letter and spirit of electoral laws, a development he noted “might include time-bound intrusive legislative changes, empowering the INEC to intrusively monitor parties for the next 15 or 20 years, to ensure that they obey the laws of the land, including their own constitutions and guidelines.”

Abubakar also wants a ban on the use by incumbents of state resources for partisan purposes, including electioneering campaigns, adding: “Where such use is unavoidable, such as the use by the president of the Presidential aircraft, the cost must be borne by the incumbent’s party this is how it is done in real democracies.” For the electoral reforms to have meaning, he insisted that anyone whose electoral victory “is being challenged should be barred from being sworn in until those disputes have been resolved.

This will be a strong disincentive against electoral fraud.” While calling on Nigerians to take effective steps to make votes count as a means of forcing parties to field popular candidates, the former VP called for reform of security agencies with a focus on clearly ensuring their neutrality in elections.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/atiku-backs-apc/
Re: Atiku Backs APC by ninja4life(m): 9:57pm On Mar 14, 2013
How does dat win more votes 4 apc in 2015 he is entitled to his opinion as a goddamn citizen of nigeria.next pls
Re: Atiku Backs APC by saintohia: 10:15pm On Mar 14, 2013

I'm not surprise

Re: Atiku Backs APC by Ikengawo: 5:15am On Mar 15, 2013
APC has bought nairaland and now they're hiding opposing viewpoints.

sherima, founder of Sharia law in Nigeria
Atiku
and all of the politicians that have been linked to boko haram by blood, fund, and patronage are all in this APC
Buhari that silenced opposition media is in APC

APC seems to be a union of all the of bodies God has bannished from power and their puppets.
Re: Atiku Backs APC by Nobody: 5:22am On Mar 15, 2013
ninja4life: How does dat win more votes 4 apc in 2015 he is entitled to his opinion as a goddamn citizen of nigeria.next pls

In 2011, Atiku was responsible for 'delivering' Adamawa state to GEJ. With this new development, GEJ can kiss Adamawa state Goodbye come 2015; thats the bit u r missing bro.
Re: Atiku Backs APC by Nobody: 5:35am On Mar 15, 2013
Maple:

In 2011, Atiku was responsible for 'delivering' Adamawa state to GEJ. With this new development, GEJ can kiss Adamawa state Goodbye come 2015; thats the bit u r missing bro.

Bro are you high on kunu? Atiku help GEJ?you guys have better face reality.99.99% of xtians in the north would not vote for buhari.Atiku was embitteref after loosing the primaries and therefore could not have worked for a GEJ victory.I wonder where you guys get this stuff from.
Re: Atiku Backs APC by Nobody: 6:25am On Mar 15, 2013
chukwudi44:

Bro are you high on kunu? Atiku help GEJ?you guys have better face reality.99.99% of xtians in the north would not vote for buhari.Atiku was embitteref after loosing the primaries and therefore could not have worked for a GEJ victory.I wonder where you guys get this stuff from.

Yes, Atiku lost the PDP primaries to GEJ in 2011, however he still gave GEJ his political support because he thought he'll have another shot at the PDP Presidential ticket come 2015 after GEJ made agreement with PDP heavyweights in the North, not to contest in 2015. That my broda, was how GEJ won Adamawa courtesy of Atiku, as well as the '25%' electoral votes he got in many PDP states in the north. If not for Atiku efforts, do u actually think GEJ (an Ijaw man) could win a Fulani majority state like Adamawa, over Buhari who is also a Fulani? Even in a thousand elections, there's no way GEJ can run against Buhari in a free and fair election and get 20% of the votes in Adamawa state, let alone win the state. C'mon put on your thinking cap pls.

1 Like

Re: Atiku Backs APC by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 15, 2013
Maple:

Yes, Atiku lost the PDP primaries to GEJ in 2011, however he still gave GEJ his political support because he thought he'll have another shot at the PDP Presidential ticket come 2015 after GEJ made agreement with PDP heavyweights in the North, not to contest in 2015. That my broda, was how GEJ won Adamawa courtesy of Atiku, as well as the '25%' electoral votes he got in many PDP states in the north. If not for Atiku efforts, do u actually think GEJ (an Ijaw man) could win a Fulani majority state like Adamawa, over Buhari who is also a Fulani? Even in a thousand elections, there's no way GEJ can run against Buhari in a free and fair election and get 20% of the votes in Adamawa state, let alone win the state. C'mon put on your thinking cap pls.

You are just speculating,there is nothing on ground to suggest that Atiku did work for GEj in 2011.If GEJ should have any northener in mind to hand over to it would be his deputy Sambo and not Atiku.Adamawa has quite a sizeable indigenous xtian population which contributed to GEJ's success.99% of fulani xtians will never vote for a buhari presidency let alone a muslim-muslim ticket
Re: Atiku Backs APC by oluwadare26(m): 7:35am On Mar 15, 2013
Enough of words of encouragement..the koko is to "decamp"
Re: Atiku Backs APC by nuclearboy(m): 7:57am On Mar 15, 2013
chukwudi44: 99% of fulani xtians will never vote for a buhari presidency let alone a muslim-muslim ticket

Sorry Bros, I am not joining your argument! Just wanted to ask - WHO ever saw a "FULANI" Christian? And if you did indeed come across the occasional straggler, would you say up to 1% of the Fulani in this country fall into that category?

1 Like

Re: Atiku Backs APC by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 15, 2013
oluwadare26: Enough of words of encouragement..the koko is to "decamp"

Yes oo, once Atiku decamps from the PDP to join the APC or whatever, he will enter into the good books of Nigerians. He won't be "corrupt" anymore.

Our people (Nigerian politicians) are not the problem, it is the party's name that is causing all these troubles. Atiku is a very "good" material for the Presidency, if only he can decamp from the "evil" party.

Maina, the pension fund thief, if he loves himself should just decamp and join APC and all will be well with him.

I heard Soludo is aiming the Anambra guber seat! they must warn him ooo, the only way he will be accepted is if he enters the party of the "saints", APC. If he flies the PDP flag, then he is corrupt.

Or, perhaps who have the number of the PDP chairman? I have a bright idea.

All they need is to change the name from PDP to something else (may be ABC, AGC, AVC, or they can even join the fight over APC) and all will be "well".

Now on a very serious note: if the opposition is championed by credible Nigerians, I will love it, but if it is these greedy fellows as we have today, then I have no choice than to oppose the so called opposition.

If the likes of Atiku join the opposition and they welcome them, then the opposition is nothing else but a gang of criminally minded fellows who want power at all cost. They won't have it.

1 Like

Re: Atiku Backs APC by Nobody: 7:43pm On Mar 15, 2013
chukwudi44:
You are just speculating,there is nothing on ground to suggest that Atiku did work for GEj in 2011.If GEJ should have any northener in mind to hand over to it would be his deputy Sambo and not Atiku.Adamawa has quite a sizeable indigenous xtian population which contributed to GEJ's success.99% of fulani xtians will never vote for a buhari presidency let alone a muslim-muslim ticket

nuclearboy:

Sorry Bros, I am not joining your argument! Just wanted to ask - WHO ever saw a "FULANI" Christian? And if you did indeed come across the occasional straggler, would you say up to 1% of the Fulani in this country fall into that category?

Abeg @nuclearboy, helep me ask am oo. I nefer see fulani christain for the past 30 yrs of my life living in the North East...some ppl fit kill pesin with laughter for nairaland; 99% fulani xtains indeed grin grin
Re: Atiku Backs APC by Nobody: 9:45pm On Mar 15, 2013
Maple:

Abeg @nuclearboy, helep me ask am oo. I nefer see fulani christain for the past 30 yrs of my life living in the North East...some ppl fit kill pesin with laughter for nairaland; 99% fulani xtains indeed grin grin

Are you that ignorant? Haven't you heard about the large xtian population in adamawa and bauchi states? Where did you think GEJ's votes in adamawa state came from?
Re: Atiku Backs APC by Nobody: 9:59am On Mar 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

Are you that ignorant? Haven't you heard about the large xtian population in adamawa and bauchi states? Where did you think GEJ's votes in adamawa state came from?

And those 'large xtain population' are fulani abi? or u also mean to tell me that xtians are the majority in Bauchi and Adamawa, abi?

Having a laptop doesnt mean u know shit, u need to walk the walk first, else there'll be no end to the crap u'll be spewing as far as this topic is concern...and I can bet u probably have never stepped foot in that part of our country. I was born and bred in that part of the country, and I've lived in both Bauchi and Adamawa states, hence Im talking from experience, and not hearsay.

Though some minority tribes in these states are largely xtians, however as far as state politics is concern, the xtian votes in these states is insignificant as to affect the outcome of elections in favor of GEJ. If u talk of Taraba or Plateau, then thats a different case...Abeg, Oga Chukwudi44, alias Mr 99% Fulani Xtians, there's no point continuing this discussion; your analysis is wrong and u know it, just let it go.

I'll end my comments on this post with a Hausa Idiom that says, "Taburman kunya da hauka ake nade ta" meaning, A Mat of shame is folded with madness. This is in reference to egocentric people who whenever there ignorant/silly act is brought to shame, rather than admit their wrong/mistake in humility, instead they choose to act even more silly in defiance.
Re: Atiku Backs APC by Ikengawo: 1:34pm On Mar 16, 2013
Atiku may be looking for a platform desperate enough to run him as president because PDP has cut him down to size.
Considering the fact that he won't move in the SS, SE, SW, and NC, Atiku would be hopeless against GEJ
Re: Atiku Backs APC by tomakint: 1:55pm On Mar 16, 2013
I think this is the time for APC to consider fielding Atiku as the party's Presidential flagbearer undecided

(1) (Reply)

Seun: Nairaland Tribalists Need Amnesty / I Will Never Run For Anything Again- Peter Obi / How I Escaped Plots To Kill Me In Prison – Al-mustapha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.