Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,297 members, 7,954,186 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:50 PM

Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa (20367 Views)

2 Female Suicide Bombers Kill 4 In Borno / Nigeria's State & Commercial Capitals-excluding Lagos & Abuja (pictures) / Death toll rises to 4 in Blast Near Mosque In Maiduguri After Friday Prayers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 15, 2013
Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 Most Expensive Cities In Africa – EIU

Lagos and Abuja have been listed among the top four cities in Africa with high cost of living, according to an index released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) on 25 African cities.

The key results of cost of living per city by the EIU reveal that Abuja is the second most expensive city with total expenditure score of 107.4, next to Luanda with a score of 131.8, while Lagos comes fourth with 100.8 total expenditure, as Addis Ababa came last with a score of 60.8.

A breakdown of the index shows that Abuja emerged number 12 out of 25 cities, in terms of consumption of alcoholic beverages, tobacco and narcotics, scoring 78.3, while Lagos scored 63.8 to emerge number 21 of the cities that consume same.

Meanwhile, Khartoum in Sudan comes tops on the list of cities with highest consumption of alcoholic beverages, tobacco and narcotics, scoring 121.3. On the other hand, Douala in Cameroon ranked last of the 25 cities sampled with 46.9 consumption rate.

In terms of transport, Lagos and Abuja emerged 15 and 22 out of the 25 cities, scoring 107.5 and 91.7, respectively. Top in the list is Abidjan with 172.0 score spent on transportation, while Alexandra in Egypt came last with a score of 71.7.

According to the EIU, per capita expenditure is higher in each of the sampled cities, as the index indicates that citizens in cities spend 94.4 percent more, per capita, than their counterparts in the countryside.

“Africa is urbanising fast and cities are attracting more and more migrants. As a result, we are witnessing the emergence of “super cities”- each bringing considerable opportunities. The demographic profile of these cities can be much different than the national level picture,” the EIU notes in the survey.

Africa’s growth is becoming more diverse as a result, companies are more interested than ever in expanding into Africa, it says further.

A recent survey conducted by The Economist Group of 217 global companies based in 45 countries reveals that expansion in Africa is a priority for two thirds of them within the next decade.

EIU’s key result of expenditure per capita differs markedly across cities. For instance, US$/per capita expenditure of Abuja and Lagos are 2,185 and 2,159, respectively, in terms of total expenditure on all items.

Johannesburg in South Africa emerged number one of the cities with highest US$/per capita expenditure, scoring 7,436, while Dar es Salam in Tanzania spend is lowest, scoring 572 US$/per capita expenditure.

A breakdown of the US$/per capital expenditure indicates that Lagos and Abuja scored 4 and 3, respectively, in terms of spend on alcoholic beverages and tobacco.

In the area of transport, US$/per capita expenditure of Abuja and Lagos stood at 157 and 147, respectively. Tripoli in Libya emerged the top most city with 1,780 US$/per capita expenditure on transport, while Lusaka in Zambia is at the bottom of the list with 31.

Even though, it says challenges remain, which include corruption, poor roads, inefficient border posts, inadequate railway networks, poor skill base, congested ports, and unwitting airports, among others.

To the EIU, to expand, companies need Africa city-level data and analysis, as “companies looking to expand into Africa want to concentrate their strategy where growth and demographics are most favourable – in major cities. It is not enough to plan a strategy around nationally-forecasted growth, but rather to have critical forecasting and business information on a particular city.”

The Economist Intelligence Unit also notes that 25 African cities present best opportunities for growth - based on key economic drivers, client feedback and a survey of economists.

In Corporate Network members, the EIU identifies 25 African cities (across 19 countries) that are of particular interest. The EIU collects and analyses the data needed to support the case and strategy for market entry.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/53029-lagos-abuja-among-top-4-most-expensive-cities-in-africa--eiu
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by PapaBrowne(m): 10:27am On Mar 15, 2013
Meanwhile, Khartoum in Sudan comes tops on the list of cities with highest consumption of alcoholic beverages, tobacco and narcotics, scoring 121.3. On the other hand, Douala in Cameroon ranked last of the 25 cities sampled with 46.9 consumption rate.

Interesting!! I thought Khartoum was a majority muslim city?? Appears more liberal than other muslim cities then. On the other hand, it might not be the achohol that raised their points, might just be the drugs and narcortics!

With regards to the other cities, Its pretty obvious that oil wealth is not exactly good for cities as it tends to increase the cost of living as shown in the fact that Lagos, Abuja and Luanda top the list. I am sure other cities like Malabo and Libreville would feature top on the list.

11 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by ninja4life(m): 4:53pm On Mar 15, 2013
Interesting no wonder why governor of lagos state tells people to go to deir village.lagos is an expensive place and not 4 evry1 hmm 2nd 2 comment slowly walks outta thread
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by RedLight1: 5:24pm On Mar 15, 2013
yet 90% of the people in these cities lives under 2 dollars a days

source: stupidd stat that some disgruntled people believe

9 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Okontami: 5:27pm On Mar 15, 2013
I feel this is a rubbish report that lack all the full facts. I can confirm perfectly that Accra is much more expensive than Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 15, 2013
and so? mtcheew. of what importance is this one na?
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by bulletproofmonk(m): 5:31pm On Mar 15, 2013
Red-Light:
yet 90% of the people in the city live under 2 dollars a days

source: stupidd stat that some disgruntled people believe

Really? 90% is a lot.You might want to tone down the figure a bit.

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Paulonminyi: 5:39pm On Mar 15, 2013
E no make sense coz we re nt complainin. Or re u?
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by wwwdotnscdc(m): 5:40pm On Mar 15, 2013
If one would get the worth of his money in these two places, I would not complain. An Hotel room I stay here for instance does not cost an eye and an arm, yet it is neat and tidy. Smells nice. The water is clean etc etc. And the hotel is not even a three star one. In Nigeria, some high class and super expensive hotels are not as clean, yet they charge an eye and an arm for their substandard services.

2 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by obailala(m): 5:43pm On Mar 15, 2013
Abuja consumes more alcholol, tobacco and narcotics than Lagos?.. Interesting!!

Wonder how these guys get their statistics

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by fredopayee(m): 5:43pm On Mar 15, 2013
That was stupid reasearch.. Accra cost more dan lagos. And even capital of ivory cosat cost more dan lagos too.

3 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by delors(m): 5:51pm On Mar 15, 2013
fredopayee: That was stupid reasearch.. Accra cost more dan lagos. And even capital of ivory cosat cost more dan lagos too.

Never! I once stayed in Accra and with the little amount I told there i enjoyed myself maximally. A young taxi driver picks me up in the mornings...and some bad babes already ready to help matters. ! wink

2 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Ucheosefoh(m): 5:51pm On Mar 15, 2013
obailala: Abuja consumes more alcholol, tobacco and narcotics than Lagos?.. Interesting!!

They got it from beer parlours owners and from igbo smokers also from narcotics addicts smh rubbish statistics

2 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by TriggerHappy: 5:52pm On Mar 15, 2013
Cow dung story

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by delors(m): 5:53pm On Mar 15, 2013
obailala: Abuja consumes more alcholol, tobacco and narcotics than Lagos?.. Interesting!!

I tire o...Lagos wey be say almost every house has a 'sepe' joint! Alcohol consumption in Mushin alone gan self should beat the whole of Abuja!
Perhaps our statisticians self don dey 'seperise' grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by TriggerHappy: 5:55pm On Mar 15, 2013
fredopayee: That was stupid reasearch.. Accra cost more dan lagos. And even capital of ivory cosat cost more dan lagos too.
U know datz a big fat lie..... Accra is neva expensive

5 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:00pm On Mar 15, 2013
Even with a guess I know Abuja & Lagos ll be in the top 5.
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Nobody: 6:07pm On Mar 15, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Interesting!! I thought Khartoum was a majority muslim city?? Appears more liberal than other muslim cities then. On the other hand, it might not be the achohol that raised their points, might just be the drugs and narcortics!

With regards to the other cities, Its pretty obvious that oil wealth is not exactly good for cities as it tends to increase the cost of living as shown in the fact that Lagos, Abuja and Luanda top the list. I am sure other cities like Malabo and Libreville would feature top on the list.
Muslims when de put beer and gin inside kettle.

Just saying

8 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by bbulldog(m): 6:10pm On Mar 15, 2013
Lagos na die o!!,
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by RedLight1: 6:14pm On Mar 15, 2013
Trigger Happy: Cow dung story
banku eatn monkey.. It is cow dung becoz its not about 18million mad people or 90% living below 1$.. u dey craze
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by olumidazz: 6:36pm On Mar 15, 2013
There is just no way liquor and narcotic consumption in abuja will exceed lagos. Also no other African city comes near Johannesburg in whatever ramifications For these alone the statistician has failed woefully the report should be rubbished like farouk lawans report.
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by dedons: 6:38pm On Mar 15, 2013
Why lagos and abuja 4 where borno dey??

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Ewoma45(f): 6:39pm On Mar 15, 2013
Ph nko?

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Activcupid: 6:40pm On Mar 15, 2013
Trigger Happy:
U know datz a big fat lie..... Accra is neva expensive
If a tin of milk is 50naira in 9ja @ Accra its 100naira. With their current currency. U know 1 dollar is 2ghana cedis, and 1 dollar is 160 naira. Check it out na

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Debeloved87(m): 6:41pm On Mar 15, 2013
Really....dats impressive, Nigeria is making progress..,thumbs up
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by playto(m): 6:47pm On Mar 15, 2013
delors:
I tire o...Lagos wey be say almost every house has a 'sepe' joint! Alcohol consumption in Mushin alone gan self should beat the whole of Abuja!
Perhaps our statisticians self don dey 'seperise' grin grin grin grin grin grin

Hw u take knw say sepe joint yapa for mushin..anyways ur statement is valid..I even dey for 1 nw slf dey sip my shepe wth lime

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by RedLight1: 6:47pm On Mar 15, 2013
Debeloved87: Really....dats impressive, Nigeria is making progress..,thumbs up
how z that progress? undecided
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by sureteeboy(m): 6:52pm On Mar 15, 2013
Dtz nice, wetting my finger to move 2 the next thread
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 15, 2013
Must i stay in lagos. I prefer bauchi ooh!
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by Jarus(m): 6:54pm On Mar 15, 2013
Not surprised. Paid less than $100/night for a 4 star hotel in Dubai. You can't get a 4 star hotel at less than N30,000 ($200) in Lagos or Abuja. Same for transport, although Abuja a little better in that regard. Cost of living in Lagos and Abuja are too unfriendly joor.
Re: Most Expensive Cities: Lagos, Abuja Among Top 4 In Africa by kamez(m): 6:55pm On Mar 15, 2013
Abeg LASTMA just Impounded my car dis afternoon along mile 2.. So u guys should add LASTMA dues to the list of tins dat make lagos an expensive city to live with...

Fashola u and ur boys (LASTMA) no go kill person for dis lagos

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023: Buhari’s Ambush Strategy As 40 Presidential Aspirants Remains In APC, PDP / Wike: I Was Offered A Lot To Work Against Tinubu / Nigerian Army Winning The War On Terrorism & Banditry - Olowu Of Owu-kuta (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.