Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works (11690 Views)

Two Nigeria’s Refineries To Restart Production Before End Of Dec. 2015 –minister / The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike / ‘why Construction Of Second Niger Bridge May Be Put On Hold For Now’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 16, 2013
** FG set to commence work on 2nd Niger Bridge

** "Once the project commences, I will relocate to Onitsha and turn myself into one of the project supervisors"- Peter Obi

The Federal Govern-ment disclosed yesterday at a stakeholders meeting held at the palace of the Obi of Onitsha, HRM, Igwe Alfred Achebe that all was set for work to commence on 2nd Niger Bridge.

Addressing a mammoth crowd, the Minister of Works, Architect Mike Onolemomen who came with a high calibre of technical team that comprised mostly civil servants and building experts, said the time had come now for serious action on the 2nd Niger Bridge.

He said Obi’s efforts towards the project contributed a lot in keeping it alive. He recalled many letters and visits by the Governor to the President, himself and relevant stakeholders pleading and requesting the commencement of the project.

“Even at our last event at Transcorps Hotel Abuja, Gov. Obi was there and made strong point on the imperative of commencing the bridge now”, the Minister said.

According to the Works Minister, the project would be completed before the expiration of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration in 2015 as part of efforts to deliver on the campaign promises of the present government.

The Minister further disclosed that the need for the completion of the secondbridge across the River Niger was apt to ease transportation problems as well as fulfill President Goodluck Jonathan’s campaign promises.

Mr. Onolememen who traced the history of second Niger Bridge said it was Governor Obi’s efforts that enlivened the project otherwise, it would have been a closed chapter, adding that the project will span from Asaba to Ozubulu and Ogbaru areas.

He said he was in Onitsha to acquaint Anambrarians with the latest development aboutthe s Bridge and that the project was designed in such a way that there would be a ring road from Asaba to Onitsha to ease traffic challenges.

In his contribution, Governor Peter Obi described the project as very gigantic and assured the Federal Government that the state government would provide adequate security and other necessary sacrifices that will enhance effective completionof the project.”

Once the project commences, I will relocate to Onitsha and turn myself into one of the project supervisors,” Obi said.

He thanked President Goodluck Jonathan for fulfilling his promise of building the bridge which he said would, among other things, bring the sufferings travellers face in the state to an end and assured federal government of proper supervision to ensure hitch free exercise.

The Managing Director of Julius Berger Construction Company, Mr. Wolfgang Goetsch who was there with other technical crew from the company pledged to carry out the project successfully according to specifications and time and commended the federal government for considering them as the preferred consortium.

The Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Nnaemeka Achebe expressed delight that the project is actually taking off and awarded to a very competent construction firm which he said was a testimony that the federal government was determined to fulfill their promises to the electorate. Hesaid there would be unity among the communities where the bridge would pass through and that the project would help to transform the country.

In his own remarks, Igwe Peter who was there commended the Federal Government and Gov. Obi whose relentless efforts led to the realization on the project. Describing him as anexemplarily leader, he said Anambra State would never remain the same for having a governor like Obi.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/fg-set-to-commence-work-on-2nd-niger-bridge/

1 Like

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by sEyi6: 8:15am On Mar 16, 2013
When it's completed they should inform Nigerians. Making a proposal that might not be fulfilled looks like their normal way of ranting.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 16, 2013
God bless the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

God bless Governor Peter Obi!!

God bless Anambra state!!!

God bless Nigeria!!!!

13 Likes

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by MrGarri1: 8:17am On Mar 16, 2013
How many times are we gonna hear this same "Set to Commence story??

Start the damn construction and let's talk about that..

undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by sEyi6: 8:20am On Mar 16, 2013
^^
Since 1914, same with power undecided
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 8:22am On Mar 16, 2013
@Moderators, front page pls!
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by sEyi6: 8:24am On Mar 16, 2013
Nairaland front page shouldn't allow any form of propaganda but threads for commissioned project
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 16, 2013
Mr. Garri.:

undecided undecided
Bad belle! Bring up the "set to commence story" under GEJ
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by PointB: 8:25am On Mar 16, 2013
Story!
Complete that bridge before the first ballot of 2015 general election is cast or lose our votes!

Time for Second Niger Bridge politics has long past.

3 Likes

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 16, 2013
$£yi:
Nairaland front page shouldn't allow any form of propaganda but commissioned project
Bad belle! I understand how dis thing dey pepper you for body. Believe me, I dont want to be in your shoes right now.

The Fashola light rail rail project that has hit front page on several occasion, has it been commissioned?

9 Likes

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by MrGarri1: 8:32am On Mar 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Bad belle! Bring up the "set to commence story" under GEJ

MUMU!!

Feb 23, 2013

www.nairaland.com/1205116/breaking-news-julius-berger-build

The Federal Government has announced Julius Berger AIMS Consortium as the preferred bidder for the construction of the Second Niger Bridge that is to connect Delta and Anambra states.

The Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen, stated this in Abuja on Yesterday (Friday) after hours-long meeting with delegates from the consortium and various government agencies.

According to him, five construction firms took part in the bidding process, but Julius Berger AIMS Consortium won.

He said, “We have gone through a painstaking procurement process that lasted for about 13 months and at the end of the procurement the preferred bidder has emerged. It is important to let Nigerians know that very competent consortia bid for this particular project.

“I am happy to announce that at the end of the procurement process, Julius Berger AIMS Consortium emerged as the preferred bidder for the Second Niger Bridge project.”

Onolememen said the project was advertised for expression of interest, adding that the concessionaires expressed interest in the bidding for the project under the Design, Finance, Build, Operate and Transfer model.

“And that is why this particular meeting was convened today to commence the second phase of this particular transaction that will necessarily lead to the preliminary site work of the bridge that will link Onitsha and Asaba in Anambra and Delta states,” he said.

Onolememen added, “Going forward, part of the work that will be carried out in the next couple of weeks will include detailed hydrological and topographical surveys, and of course, a geological survey. And we will always carry out a detailed environmental/social impact assessment of the process and an in-depth traffic survey among others.”

He said the government’s transaction adviser had virtually completed a detailed traffic survey, stressing that Nigerians should know that the Federal Government was committed to delivering the Second Niger Bridge project.
“I want to assure Nigerians that this project is fast becoming a reality,” he said.

Asked to comment on the duration of the project, he said, “This is not a contract. It is a PPP transaction. The PPP transaction will cover a period of 25 years for them (Julius Berger AIMS Consortium). By the conclusion of the discussions on the second phase, at least the construction period will emerge. It is not like a normal contract that the government is funding.”

He explained that the consortium would raise the fund for the project and that the government would only take a very marginal percentage of it to show commitment.

He said, “It is interesting to note that Africa Infrastructure Investment Managers or AIMS, are world leaders in infrastructure financing and they are in partnership with one of the biggest infrastructure financier in the world.

And we are happy that this project has been able to attract such a group to this country.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/julius-berger-to-build-second-niger-bridge/
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by sEyi6: 8:36am On Mar 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Bad belle! I understand how dis thing dey pepper you for body. Believe me, I dont want to be in your shoes right now.

The Fashola light rail rail project that has hit front page on several occasion, has it been commissioned?

I was referring to FG's propaganda and you're bringing up or rather comparing it with that of a state government. Are you not ashamed of yourself?

Fashola's achievement is your yardstick for assessing the FG's achievement. grin

Fashola must be a big time achiever. I'm starting to like that Fashola sef

1 Like

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by ZUBY77(m): 8:39am On Mar 16, 2013
Each time these clowns come to Onitsha, they will tell us about how the second Niger bridge will start the next day and end in the next one week.
I am sure they say the same things to other states whenever they visit them to look for votes.

Please Massob, OPC And Arewa should be legalized so that each time these clowns promise and fail, they will be arrested in their next visit.
There should be a 'Promise and Fail' task force in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 16, 2013
PointB: Story!
Complete that bridge before the first ballot of 2015 general election is cast or lose our votes!

Time for Second Niger Bridge politics has long past.
Even the ones that did not raise a finger on the issue of second Niger Bridge since 1979 has always gotten your votes. I dont understand your anger on this issue. Is it because Peter Obi's name was mentioned?

Previous report was that the Bridge will be completed in 2017 but I was pleasantly surprised to hear the minister say it will be completed in 2015.

The project is worth about N100billion, out of which FG will bring N30billion and Julius Berger N70billion.

I'm very sure of the construction of the bridge under this dispensation because the project is part of SURE-P. Any project under SURE-P is a forgone conclusion because the funds, which is usually the major cause of abandoned projects in Nig, is READY at hand.

However, what I dont know is whether they'll meet up with the target of completing it in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by mankevo(m): 8:41am On Mar 16, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/938057/second-niger-bridge-construction-begins#10825947

Una no dey tire at all? Second Niger Bridge will never be done because it has become the ONLY TANGIBLE electoral promise to get Igbo votes.
IBB, Abacha,OBJ, Yar'adua all REAPED Igbo support because of that Second Niger Bridge, so let them tell Nigerian's when it is ready for commissioning and stop ''SET TO COMMENCE''

###FreshAir Team MyOga@dTop###
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 8:46am On Mar 16, 2013
Mr. Garri.:

MUMU!!

Feb 23, 2013

www.nairaland.com/1205116/breaking-news-julius-berger-build

How foolish could a man be. You bring up a report announcing "the emergence of the the preferred bidder for the construction ofthe Second Niger Bridge" to justify your statement of "many set to commence story"

Incredible! Even a kid would see the glaring difference between todays report and the one you just brought up. Smh!
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 16, 2013
mankevo: https://www.nairaland.com/938057/second-niger-bridge-construction-begins#10825947

Una no dey tire at all? Second Niger Bridge will never be done because it has become the ONLY TANGIBLE electoral promise to get Igbo votes.
IBB, Abacha,OBJ, Yar'adua all REAPED Igbo support because of that Second Niger Bridge, so let them tell Nigerian's when it is ready for commissioning and stop ''SET TO COMMENCE''

###FreshAir Team MyOga@dTop###
And what will you do when its done? Come here and apologise? Or COWARDLY change username?
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 16, 2013
$£yi:

I was referring to FG's propaganda and you're bringing up or rather comparing it with that of a state government. Are you not ashamed of yourself?

Fashola's achievement is your yardstick for assessing the FG's achievement. grin

Fashola must be a big time achiever. I'm starting to like that Fashola sef
Federal govt and state govts are separate entitities. What is good for the goose should also be good for the gander
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by mankevo(m): 8:53am On Mar 16, 2013
No! I will not change my username,(it'll likely be older than you), but will come here to appreciate the good work because i dont know if i'll pass the bridge in the next 10years.

But the way you glue to computer everyday calls for PITY though!!
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by MrGarri1: 9:02am On Mar 16, 2013
[s]
Sincere 9gerian:
How foolish could a man be. You bring up a report announcing "the emergence of the the preferred bidder for the construction ofthe Second Niger Bridge" to justify your statement of "many set to commence story"

Incredible! Even a kid would see the glaring difference between todays report and the one you just brought up. Smh!
[/s]

More foolishness from your PUTRID Brain. Have they commenced construction?? NO!!

Isn't that my point??

Abeg stop fooling yourself joor!!

Mr. Garri.:

undecided undecided
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 16, 2013
mankevo: No! I will not change my username,(it'll likely be older than you), but will come here to appreciate the good work because i dont know if i'll pass the bridge in the next 10years.

But the way you glue to computer everyday calls for PITY though!!
From saying second Niger bridge will not be done to talking about me. Why are you confused? You seem to have issues with everything. Is it bad belle at work?

3 Likes

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 16, 2013
Mr. Garri.:
[s][/s]

More foolishness from your PUTRID Brain. Have they commenced construction?? NO!!

Isn't that my point??

Abeg stop fooling yourself joor!!

Why are you so agitated with this report? What do come to NL for? I guess to be informed, among other things. If you dont like this information, you simply go to other threads rather that get agitated.

As for me, I LOVE this report. You can also see that my governor loves the report.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by mankevo(m): 9:22am On Mar 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Why are you confused? You seem to have issues with everything. Is it bad belle at work?

Not bad-belle at all, and not confused. Just inform them that they wont get Igbo votes again with Second Niger Bridge promise in 2015.

....and please dont allow the PRESSURE of defense team enter your already weakened brain, life is too short to die for any govt (specially the one we have)
Am heading to evening sports now, so dont be offended if your next question is unanswered!
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by MrMcJay(m): 9:25am On Mar 16, 2013
GEJ's lapdog is comparing a Sitting President with an opposition Governor! Im don finish for Jona O.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by takedat2: 9:33am On Mar 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Why are you so agitated with this report? What do come to NL for? I guess to be informed, among other things. If you dont like this information, you simply go to other threads rather that get agitated.

As for me, I LOVE this report. You can also see that my governor loves the report.
Ify, carry on with the fawning and publicity. Nairalanders will be surprised by the time GEJ offers you an appointment as his special adviser on Nairaland affairs, after all he has one for twitter(Reno)!
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Walexz02(m): 9:34am On Mar 16, 2013
Trash!
U better tell your oga at the top to stop playing cat & dog game with our real APC coz we aren't going to believe all this una silly story and no action. Datz all!
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by dridowu: 9:58am On Mar 16, 2013
Time will tell, 2015 is around the corner

1 Like

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by MajorJ(m): 9:59am On Mar 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Federal govt and state govts are separate entitities. What is good for the goose should also be good for the gander
[img]http://static1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/4467643+_5ea2ffc3181abdcec91c9e7ac3084392.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 16, 2013
Wow, is hightime I start beliving in GEJ o. Abeg I nid his control number mek I tell am say I won join fresh wind truck
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 10:20am On Mar 16, 2013
Thank God, at last!
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by ikweremilitant: 10:22am On Mar 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: God bless the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

God bless Governor Peter Obi!!

God bless Anambra state!!!

God bless Nigeria!!!!
isseeeeh. Oya onibaje crew we're waitng
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Onlytruth(m): 10:27am On Mar 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Even the ones that did not raise a finger on the issue of second Niger Bridge since 1979 has always gotten your votes. I dont understand your anger on this issue. Is it because Peter Obi's name was mentioned?

Previous report was that the Bridge will be completed in 2017 but I was pleasantly surprised to hear the minister say it will be completed in 2015.

The project is worth about N100billion, out of which FG will bring N30billion and Julius Berger N70billion.

I'm very sure of the construction of the bridge under this dispensation because the project is part of SURE-P. Any project under SURE-P is a forgone conclusion because the funds, which is usually the major cause of abandoned projects in Nig, is READY at hand.

However, what I dont know is whether they'll meet up with the target of completing it in 2015.

Our anger is because this same promise (unfulfilled) has been made severally by people we consider outsiders to the East. We are angry at them, yes; but our anger is more on GEJ that is our own brother, a fellow Easterner who fully understands the strategic importance of that bridge to the Eastern economy.
Personally, I think that people around the president have not served him well on this brigde issue. I hope it is completed before 2015 elections, at least to seal our votes.
With all these APC noise, nothing must be left to chance!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos, Ogun, Ondo To Experience Power-Cut For 72hrs / EFCC Re-arraigns Saraki’s Aide, Makanjuola, Others For N3.5bn Fraud / Boko Haram Releases 48 Abducted Borno Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.