Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,565 members, 7,770,473 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:58 AM

Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) (26011 Views)

Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations / Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff / Increment Of Workers Salary Will Reduce Corruption – NLC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by luli4life: 5:34pm On Mar 18, 2013
Aero Contractors staff protest today

By SaharaReporters, New York

It has emerged that troubled airline Aero Contractors, which suspended all of its flights last week, may be in deeper trouble than was previously revealed to the public, SaharaReporters investigations show.

Those cancellations stemmed from a dispute with workers at the airline regarding operation and pay.

Over the weekend, about 95% of the company’s workers confirmed that they received emergency sack letters from the management, and they today began a labour protest over their sacking.

Some of the staff members who spoke anonymously with SaharaReporters said the decline of the troubled airline started a while ago when convicted rogue banker, Mrs. Cecilia Ibru came into Aero at the time she held sway at Oceanic Bank and was one of the most powerful figures in the economy.
It would appear that in her bid to seize full control of Aero and to use it as a tool to engage in money laundering from Oceanic Bank, Mrs. Ibru's actions put her at loggerheads with the majority shareholder and technical partner at Canadian Helicopters (CHC).

After a series of misunderstandings and in attempt to avoid involvement in shady business deals, CHC withdrew from Aero Contractors, leaving Mrs. Ibru with her desire: complete control of the airline and the opportunity to deploy it effectively as a conduit from money laundering.  Perhaps as a result, several of the so-called investments Mrs. Ibru brought into Aero remain undocumented.  

In essence, financial officers say, some of those investments only existed on paper, plunging Aero into debts from which it never recovered.  
By the time Mrs. Ibru was convicted of bank fraud and money laundering by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), she completely owned Aero Contractors.  Curiously however, the EFCC did not list Aero Contractors as one of the assets to be confiscated by the agency, although the commission claimed to have retrieved assets that were stolen by Mrs. Ibru.

A company letterhead shows that Chief Michael Ibru and Mrs. Cecilia Ibru remain the co-chairs of the company, while her sons, O.V Ibru and O.J Ibru are co-owners. At 82, Chief Ibru is in a vegetative state, close family sources say, and has no idea what is happening to the company.

Regardless of Mrs. Ibru’s criminal conviction, the Central Bank of Nigeria gave huge amount of relief funds to bail Aero Contractors out of its difficulties even though expatriates in charge of the company in Port Harcourt and Lagos had been sacked in 2010.

After Mr. Obaro Ibru was named acting Managing Director, he hired Enyi Omoke who had retired from the United Bank of Africa (UBA).  Before Omoke, two other Heads of Finance who were brought in for that position  were sacked from office because they failed to play the fraud game the way Mrs. Ibru wanted it.

Another notorious character and long-time stooge of Mrs Ibru in Oceanic Capital, Feyi Akinbile, was also brought in to handle Aero's Human Resources on contract.

When the CBN relief funds arrived, they were balkanized and laundered by Mrs. Ibru, her children and their lackeys the same way Mr. Ibrahim Jimoh laundered defunct Air Nigeria's funds through his so-called "Energy Bank" in Ghana.

In an effort to avoid an obvious violation of aviation laws, which forbid the appointment of a non-Aeronautic expert as Managing Director, one Captain George was made a figure head MD of Aero Contractors, but staff members say “Captain George” answered as MD only when it comes to operational matters, while the criminal trio of Obaro Ibru, Enyi Omoke and Feyi Akinbile had a free hand in milking the company as it suited them, while Mrs. Ibru called the shots from the shadows.

Meanwhile, Aero Contractor’s debts continued to mount, while the rotary wing of the business in Port Harcourt collapsed gradually.
As a result of the company’s debts, Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON), the country’s debt management agency, took over 60% of Aero Contractors’ shares.  

But while workers at Aero expected AMCON to leverage their stake in the new ownership structure and take control of the company, the agency connived with the Ibrus and left in place the management put in by Mrs. Ibru and her sons. That development made workers and aviation experts wonder if the AMCON debt buy-back was simply a ruse to help the Ibrus escape investigation for squandering CBN bailout funds.

Within the company, with six months to the expiration of Akinbile’s contract, Temitope Fagbemi (the current Human Resources manager) was employed from defunct Air Nigeria to understudy Akinbile.  Because of the atrocities perpetrated or condoned by these Managers, the Managing Director in Lagos was sacked and Enyi Omoke took up courses in IATA in preparation to becoming taking up that position, because of the consciousness that the NCAA would not approve of a non-professional assuming the position.  For now, Obaro, Mrs. Ibru's son, continues as acting MD.

But the General Manager of the rotary wing in Port Harcourt was sacked, and Akinbile seconded to the position after the expiration of his contract in Human Resources in Lagos.   It was another sleight of hand that the NCAA ought to have rejected as well but the agency has yet to be made aware of it.
Staff members who spoke to SaharaReporters say they have continued to suffer in the company under a weird management structure that has jettisoned merit for nepotism, noting the absence of salary increases.

They attribute the current mayhem to the contracting staff to a private coy without discussing it with staff Union.   They lamented that the current managers brought in by Mrs. Ibru and her scions know absolutely nothing about Aero Contractors, and accused them of coming in simply to defraud one of Nigeria’s oldest and safest airlines, and in the process, to ground it.
Source : http://www.saharareporters.com

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by luli4life: 6:17pm On Mar 18, 2013
Dis is pathetic, becos I saw it on nairal and today dat aer o contractor is recruiting whereas dey are just trying to fill in d space of d sacked staffs lipsrsealed
In conclusion , av come to realized dat most of nigerian companies dat are doing well are owned directly or indirectly by corrupt politicians e.g banks, telecom,aviation (arik, aero e.t.c),oil and gas, power plants, cement coyies,private universities,broadcasting stations: AIT,TVC, lekki tollgate concession coy,alpha betta, obasanjo farms, abdulsalam farms, mikano; all in the name of PRIVATIZATION(dis I call political shenanigans)
NIGERIANS WHICH WAY FORWARD

9 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by cman77(m): 6:27pm On Mar 18, 2013
Front page pls!

2 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by 80million1: 9:20pm On Mar 18, 2013
*speechless*

so many things going on at the same time! God help our dear Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by strangest(m): 9:23pm On Mar 18, 2013
SACKING AND RECRUITING AT THE SAME TIME.... WHAT THE HELL??

4 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 18, 2013
Pathetic what employers can doo 2 employees. A piece of advise look for somthing else doing now u earning 4rm a job.

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by israel007: 9:27pm On Mar 18, 2013
Was at the airport when that protest started in lagos about 12.
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by tellwisdom: 9:31pm On Mar 18, 2013
Is this not ghana?? sad
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by manny4life(m): 9:31pm On Mar 18, 2013
strangest: SACKING AND RECRUITING AT THE SAME TIME.... WHAT THE HELL??

Lol... The scenario is exactly your name.

5 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 18, 2013
Women, hmm... Deadly set of beings, Eve put the world into what it is today, woman thief for senate, na man later died, King Solomon's glory almost faded away because of queen Sheba, once upon a time, a notorious presido was silently killed, courtesy ladies, Samson's power disappeared, courtesy, woman, my uncle lost his previous job cos of a treacherous lady.

A woman can either make a man or destroy him, depending on the type.

4 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by wealthlift(m): 9:33pm On Mar 18, 2013
This is not good ooo sha. Check out my signature to get the dstv softawares for ur p.c and phones.
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by pipeewa(m): 9:34pm On Mar 18, 2013
Sorry to say this here. But with the membership base of nairaland its serious these are only the adverts that make it to front page. I love nairaland 'cos I have learnt a lot from here. But I fear for its extinction. Seun, kindly up your game. I see bigger adverts on small blogs. What caliber of pple are in nairaland traffick.

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by Josh316(m): 9:35pm On Mar 18, 2013
This is how it starts and before you knw it, we have an air-disaster in our land... This NEVER ends well for the passengers up in the sky...

Its time Ibru or Aero goes before we mourn again

3 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by xtophy(m): 9:37pm On Mar 18, 2013
ha...

2 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by venatus25(m): 9:41pm On Mar 18, 2013
this story dey long me sef no fit read am finish. biko na who dey there on top abeg mek una try reduce am.
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by adora4u1: 9:42pm On Mar 18, 2013
And where is Cecilia Ibru today?!
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by Mykolyke: 9:48pm On Mar 18, 2013
I tire for this country.so many downs than ups
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by DDNICE: 9:51pm On Mar 18, 2013
luli4life: Dis is pathetic, becos I saw it on nairal and today dat aer o contractor is recruiting whereas dey are just trying to fill in d space of d sacked staffs lipsrsealed
In conclusion , av come to realized dat most of nigerian companies dat are doing well are owned directly or indirectly by corrupt politicians e.g banks, telecom,aviation (arik, aero e.t.c),oil and gas, power plants, cement coyies,private universities,broadcasting stations: AIT,TVC, lekki tollgate concession coy,alpha betta, obasanjo farms, abdulsalam farms, mikano; all in the name of PRIVATIZATION(dis I call political shenanigans)
NIGERIANS WHICH WAY FORWARD
what exactly is your point? And what is the basis for your allegations?

2 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by kevoh(m): 9:51pm On Mar 18, 2013
I still have an unclaimed abuja to lagos (to and fro) angry flight with aero dating last week friday. I guess with this new development I should kiss my money good bye undecided .

2 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by ROCKJ1(m): 9:52pm On Mar 18, 2013
So much corruption.... Who can we trust? The AMCON leadership needs to be questioned seriously. Heads must roll.

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by Nobody: 9:52pm On Mar 18, 2013
Got to stick with arik at the moment. Aero was my favourite when it comes to domestic not minding the sound of their engine which deafens my ears.

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by daddycool535: 9:53pm On Mar 18, 2013
This I heard is one of the reasons they are on strike.

They are protesting victimisation of staff,unimproved staff welfare and being made to continually sacrifice while their ogas at the top smile to the bank with fat packages claiming tat the company is in debt.

Nobody can force workers to work hen d work place is uncondusive and unhearting. How can dedicated and experienced workers continue to WORK and baboons beging to chop people sweat and money. While T.F. Worked in Air Nigeeria on N500,000 per month, she lost her job as she earned more salary than professionals only for her to recruited in aero on N1.8m per month btw April- december 2012 and by Jan 2013 thru some magical hoodwinking, her salary rose ro N2.4m per month (N29m p a) with a brand new PRADO JEEP purchased by mgt in her name at N9.7m with N40,000 fuel seed, 3 drums of diesel to power band new gen at N8.8m;. EDFCA - 2.7m pm & mercedes jeep 12m, 80,000 fo fuel - for GM rw- 2.6m pm, prado jeep - N9.7, N40,000 for fuel all these in a coy claimed is going tru hard times. Is AMCON aware of all these? If yes did did AMCON inject Nigeria tax payers money in aero for some thieving mgt to steal and siphon? If no, what does AMCON intend to do to put a stop to these abnormalities?

Aero mgt spent N250m on consultancy on aero/amcon negotiation. Tope is from AIR NIGERIA and she is bringing in pple frm air nigeria - we all know how AIR NIGERIA ended in to hands of so called experts? May we not see same in our aero -it is no longer news that plan to outsource virtually all units/depts except themselves. D questn? Who owns GREATER WASHINGTON? REMLOYD TOUR and CAR, SKYBORD ltd?

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/news-page/aero-contractors-sacks-95-workers-corruption-has-already-destroyed-airline
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by cman77(m): 9:58pm On Mar 18, 2013
I jst hope der is speedy passage of d bill which is meant to criminalise non-payment of staff/ workers salary as at wen due.this will help reduce industrial actions.however,d fed min of labour and productivity is visibly doin less or nothin abt d whole subject of employer maltreatment of their staffs.it is very common now 4 employers to do anytin de wish wif der employee and get away with it.I listend to an unverifiable claim by d min of labour,emeka wogu dat de were able to resolve abt 130 industrial disputes in 2012.I suggest he shud b removed cos he is glarinly doin nofin evident wif lots of xteristics of ineptitude.but dis aero story is funny o! Mass termination and recruitment at thesame time.
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by Abrantie: 9:58pm On Mar 18, 2013
tellwisdom: Is this not ghana?? sad
Why? Is it because the people in the pic are BLACK? Oh silly me, I forgot Nigeria is full of whites and fair skin inhabitants.

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by Nobody: 10:00pm On Mar 18, 2013
venatus25: this story dey long me sef no fit read am finish. biko na who dey there on top abeg mek una try reduce am.
if you can't read it then it means the story is of little importance to you and you have no business here.

Now this is getting really scary, is it that very soon nothing will be left of the ibru empire?

This is what happens when people refuse to take their business public. I just hope the death of Olorogun Michael Ibru will not culminate in the annihilation of his empire.

Well, it is not like he really did anything to affect his hometown or people in agbarha. He will be celebrated at death but quickly forgotten.

2 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by gen2briz(m): 10:03pm On Mar 18, 2013
Since the FG is providing jobs, then the sacked workers should not worry sooner they will be re employed by our Oga at the top
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 18, 2013
That means na only Oga at d top dem come remain.
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by OgaTheTop2: 10:07pm On Mar 18, 2013
No fly Aero Contractor.... Anything Cecilia Ibru is doomed to fail.. Please, think twice before you fly Aero.... cool
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 18, 2013
ighoosagie: That means na only Oga at d top dem come remain.
Datz all

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by stebell(m): 10:10pm On Mar 18, 2013
Jus one sentence "OGA @ DE TOP IS ANGRY". Where are de GEJ haters oya start blaming it on Goodluck. Cos every bad tin dat happens is Goodluck. Fools.
Let me jus alert yu haters here in Nland,de FCT council election hv come n gone n do yu kno wat while yu are busy wit ur fones n laptop looking 4 bad words to say de winning party is strategizing and winning wit pace like Barcelona. Fashola, El-Rufai, Buhari et al continue ur media don't do ur work. Shameless peeps
Re: Aero Contractors Sacks 95% Of Workers (with Pictures Of Staff Protest Today) by Airforce1(m): 10:12pm On Mar 18, 2013
Almost Everything is upside down in this country

Help us oh lord

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

91-year-old Professor, Ajagbe Toriola Oyewo, Makes The 2021 SAN List / No Salary: Nlc Plans Strike For 23rd August / The Government Is Now Regulating IT Professionals!! See Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.