Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) (18311 Views)

Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa / Obasanjo, Shehu Yar'adua And T.Y. Danjuma At Dodan Barracks In 1978 / See The Condition Of The 3 Battalion Nigerian Army Barracks In Effurun(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 4:53am On Mar 21, 2013
http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10200843820721533

The first visit of a US president to Sub-Saharan Africa.

The video opens with a panoramic view of the grounds of State House Ribadu Road (aka Dodan Barracks) and the massed ranks of officers and men of the Brigade of Guards. You can see the real Dodan (army) Barracks in the distance (brown and white buildings).

The video shows President Carter arriving Dodan Barracks for the welcoming ceremonies.
Riding in the limousine with President and Mrs. Carter is General Joseph Garba. At that time, Joseph Garba was Nigeria’s foreign minister. After retiring from the army, General Garba would go on to serve as Nigeria’s representative at the United Nations. He served as President of the UN General Assembly in 1990.

General Garba previously served as Commander of the Brigade of Guards when General Gowon was Head of State.

President Carter is received by Lt Gen Obasanjo and introduced to Nigerian officials.

The two heads of state receive the 21 gun salute and the national salute (Star Spangled Banner and Arise O’ Compatriots). A line of Nigerian officials is shown during the rendition of the anthems. The officials include Major General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua (Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters), Lt Gen T.Y Danjuma (Chief of Army Staff), Vice Admiral Michael Adelanwa (Chief of Naval Staff), Air Vice Marshall John Yisa Doko (Chief of Air Staff) and Alhaji Muhammed Dikko Yusuf (Inspector General of Police).

President Carter, accompanied by his (US) ADC and the parade commander, inspects the troops.

Short clips of speeches by President Carter and Lt Gen Obasanjo.

There is then a very brief shot of the Council Chamber at State House Ribadu Road.

The US President is then shown at the Cenotaph at Tafawa Balewa Square. The guards play the Last Post and the President lays a wreath at the tomb of The Unknown Soldier.

Finally, there is a shot of Marina. President Carter stayed at State House Marina during his visit. It’s an interesting shot because you can see Marina before the Outer Ring Road was built. This was back when Marina had a sandy beach, instead of the concrete structures that are there at the moment. This was even before NECOM House (Net Building) was built.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 4:57am On Mar 21, 2013

US President Jimmy Carter and Nigerian Head of State Lt Gen Obasanjo receive the national salute at Dodan Barracks from a detachment of officers and men of the Brigade of Guards.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 4:59am On Mar 21, 2013

U.S. President, Jimmy Carter & (Nigerian) Brigade of Guard Commander, Colonel Mohammed Magoro. (Lagos.April 1978)

1 Like

Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 5:01am On Mar 21, 2013

President Carter inspects the troops.

Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Ishilove: 1:25pm On Mar 21, 2013
wow, that guy can shout! shocked

Obasanjo was a lot sharper when he was younger
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 1:38pm On Mar 21, 2013
Ishilove: wow, that guy can shout! shocked

Obasanjo was a lot sharper when he was younger

The shout shook me the first time I watched the clip (I was only expecting him to give the order for the national salute. I forgot that he would bring the guards to attention when the president stepped out of the limo).
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by tosyneoo: 2:29pm On Mar 21, 2013
*sighs* 3rd 2 comment
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by patostation(m): 2:34pm On Mar 21, 2013
This was when Nigeria get respect small. Now, which American president will want to visit Nigeria? An American Ambassador go even dey make shakara to discuss with GEJ.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by club12: 2:35pm On Mar 21, 2013
Making front page and dancing azonto.... Look at the beauty of the nation back then.. I pray for restoration of our nation.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2013
First time I see a reasonably sharp looking Obasanjo. His stomach just started getting bigger for no reason
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 21, 2013
This time was when Obasanjo was still sane.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 21, 2013
Good or Bad,Obj has always been a bigger boy.

All these vagabonds in power have got a lot to learn from him cuz he still remains one of the brave men Nigeria has ever produced.

These days Obama won't even dare come to Nigeria because the system in place now is worse than the military era.

2 Likes

Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by patostation(m): 2:41pm On Mar 21, 2013
See ordinary Magoro dey ride about town with Jimmy Carter. In those days, 1USD = 70K Today nko? 1$ is equivalent to N170 (approx)
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by vanstanzy(m): 2:41pm On Mar 21, 2013
OBJ was still sane during this period and Nigeria was more secure before these PDP beasts came on-board.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Nobody: 2:42pm On Mar 21, 2013
chingyjant: This time was when Obasanjo was still sane.

Prove to me that your father is saner than him !

2 Likes

Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by anelka101(m): 2:42pm On Mar 21, 2013
Obasanjo don dey for power tipetipe, oga o
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Nobody: 2:46pm On Mar 21, 2013
Was the video shot with a camera phone?? - I didn't know naija had camera phones at that time in history... grin

Topic:

Jimmy Carter was America's version of GEJ - but he looks like a cool guy, though... The American national anthem is pretty cool and my second favourite anthem after South AFrica's national anthem... and the old naija anthem sounds better than the new one...
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by wandeay: 2:47pm On Mar 21, 2013
ask my oga @ the top abt my comment position
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Biggyd2: 2:54pm On Mar 21, 2013
See as all of dem carry flat belle da time. Even oga at the top sef. grin Abi dem neva start to dey shop our money yanfu yanfu dat time ni? No be today weh many oga on top go wear uniform, belle go dey burst dem buttons anyhow. undecided
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Nobody: 3:05pm On Mar 21, 2013
All I can say is God bless Nigeria....

1 Like

Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by EagleNest(m): 3:10pm On Mar 21, 2013
Good old times.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by NSNA: 3:17pm On Mar 21, 2013
Military precision
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Revolva(m): 3:18pm On Mar 21, 2013
Uncle jimmy was my fav yankee president after JFK clinton obama
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by alaoeri: 3:20pm On Mar 21, 2013
Hate him or like him naija can never have a leader like OBJ.

4 Likes

Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by solomon111(m): 3:35pm On Mar 21, 2013
~Bluetooth:

All these vagabonds in power have got a lot to learn from him cuz he still remains one of the brave men Nigeria has ever produced.

These days Obama won't even dare come to Nigeria because the system in place now is worse than the military era.
Guy shut up.
Must you politicize everything?
I wonder when visit by a US President became the indicator of growth and devt.
Infact,seriously developing countries are trying to repel american influence and dictates.
Mumu.

1 Like

Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by yorke1: 3:37pm On Mar 21, 2013
How does change the price of beans?
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by taharqa: 3:41pm On Mar 21, 2013
~Bluetooth:

LOL.... Obama is visiting 9ja dis yr. You clowns shld keep foooling yrself though out of HATRED. Was it not how sm of u FOOOLS told us here dat common Hilary cancelled her meeting with GEJ when she was doing her last African tour, until we later found out dat not only was Nigeria at d top and 1st of dat tour but dat it was even GEJ who forcd Hilary to reschedule her tour cos he already had an engagement outside d country (in Jamaica and T & T) which he refusd to modify cos of Hilary. Hilary later had to extend d days of tour and stay in Africa b4 seeing d President when he came back.... Again, You guys can keep foooling yrselves
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by cyrielo(m): 3:47pm On Mar 21, 2013
taharqa: LOL.... Obama is visiting 9ja dis yr. You clowns shld keep foooling yrself though out of HATRED. Was it not how sm of u FOOOLS told us here dat common Hilary cancelled her meeting with GEJ when she was doing her last African tour, until we later found out dat not only was Nigeria at d top and 1st of dat tour but dat it was even GEJ who forcd Hilary to reschedule her tour cos he already had an engagement outside d country (in Jamaica and T & T) which he refusd to modify cos of Hilary. Hilary later had to extend d days of tour and stay in Africa b4 seeing d President when he came back.... Again, You guys can keep foooling yrselves
abegi make i hear word.....so that is now an achievement eh?
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 3:48pm On Mar 21, 2013
Three US presidents have visited Nigeria (all the visits occurred at times when Olusegun Obasanjo was head of state). They are Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and George Bush.

President Obama was supposed to visit Nigeria during his first term, but events (including elections in both Nigeria and the US) prevented the visit from taking place. Talks about a planned visit during his second term are ongoing.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Rossikk(m): 3:50pm On Mar 21, 2013
club12: Making front page and dancing azonto.... Look at the beauty of the nation back then.. I pray for restoration of our nation.

What beauty of which nation back when? We have even better looking official environment/settings now. Try Eagle Square Abuja. Even Lagos back then was irredeemably dirty and filled with trash. It is only now that we're seeing real progress. So spare us this false nostalgia of ''back then everything was rosy.'' It's a myth.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Rossikk(m): 3:54pm On Mar 21, 2013
~Bluetooth:

See how stup.id some of you sound? How in the hell is ''the system in place now'' (ie civilian democracy) worse than military rule? I don't know if some of you are just little kids here, but you should count yourself bloody lucky you're not living and did not grow up under military rule like many of us here did. Military rule bastardized this country. As for your slavish worship of Obama, kindly take that and stick it where the sun don't shine.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Condemns Four More Soldiers To Death By Firing Squad / 236 People Buried After IDP Camp Bombing By Nigerian Jet - Official / Atiku Abubakar Visits Victims Of Mubi Bomb Blast In Adamawa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.