Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make (17218 Views)

10 Mistakes Job Seekers Make … And How to Avoid Them / Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews / 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 25, 2013
My final job interview with d MD was based on Credit Analysis,(though not my field) i was able to give some good ans based on being resorceful like u said.
Funn thing id that d MD is a Petroleum ENGINEER,but al his questions were based on FINANCE.
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by Yasmeena(f): 3:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
Ma sha Allah, Nice tips @OP
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by Yarn2me(m): 4:42pm On Mar 25, 2013
Finished since 2007 and yet to get a permanent Job... Aside me don write apt test tire.. Interviews and what have you... Either way am so sure am going to get there before June this year...God helping me.. Amen
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by tlops(m): 5:01pm On Mar 25, 2013
Jarus:
1, STARTING LATE: Only very few people go to school without the intention of finding job after graduation. Probably the children of the nouveau rich, for whom jobs are already waiting. Or those that want to go into things that don’t require finding job – like music. Fact is, more than 90% of Nigerians that go to school already have the intention of searching for job after graduation. Unfortunately, despite knowing this, many Nigerian students get carried away in the euphoria of being students. Something as far back as your WAEC result can make a difference in getting job. No interviewer will not be unimpressed with a WAEC result that is laced with A’s. If your WAEC result is just average, you have in your undergraduate studies an even better opportunity to make amends. Yet, a lot of Nigerian students still bungle this second opportunity. After spending the first 3 years relegating their studies to the background, they now make a weak attempt to make amends in final year when it is usually too late. The result is usually poor grade, except in the case of few. Not even going to the best schools in UK or US to earn second degree as cover-up makes much difference for many people. For many employers, your first degree is the most critical.

2, DEFEATIST MINDSET: One of the most annoying lines I hear from Nigerian job seekers is, “you will never get job unless you know somebody”. While I will not deny that job-by-connection is very rampant in this society, I have always argued that it is exaggerated. I don’t have any empirical fact to support this, but from educated observation, I have put jobs in Multi-National Corporations (MNCs) as at least 80% merit-driven (and as high as 90% in International Oil Companies); Nigerian private companies at 70% merit-based, and even as bad as public sector is, merit there is still not less than 50%. I have seen too many people get good jobs without any connection to agree that without knowing someone powerful, you can’t get job. No company will want to populate her workforce with dumb heads. We are talking about multi-million naira projects here. If a company wants to recruit 10 people, it is not possible that all the 10 are MD’s family members or kinsmen, there may be as high as 8 spots to be filled by merit. You too can work to be part of that 8. If you attend interview with the mindset that it was just a formality and someone had already been chosen, then it is as good as not showing up at the interview. I got my current job through Tuesday Guardian. I know people that got jobs in Shell, Chevron and even NNPC, without knowing anyone in these places. The earlier you shed that defeatist mentality, the better for you.

3, COVERING FACE WITH ONE FINGER: Some Nigerian graduates pull some stunts that I see as being clever by half or covering face with one finger – an exercise in futility. For entry level positions, aside restrictions on age and course of study, the most critical determinant of invitation for a test is class of degree. Yet, some people draw CVs and refuse to disclose their grades in school. I have heard a couple of stories that it worked for some people, but truth is, that is 1 in 1000. A recruiter that has tens of thousands of CVs on his desk does not have time to ring you and ask for your grade if you don’t put the critical information there. God help you if you don’t have your CVs in the shredder.

4, POOR NETWORKING SKILLS: No, I do not mean MTN or Etisalat. I have discussed the role of networking in job hunting in a recent article. Having a good network of friends gives you access to right job information that may not be available in public space. Not all organizations make job advertisement mandatory in their policies. Some jobs are not advertised. Establishing relationships can help you in accessing such information. Personally, I’m not a fan of job recruitment where the whole world are invited. The first two jobs I got after leaving the university were not advertised and less than 10 of us competed for the positions.

5, LACK OF VERSATILITY: I have always advised friends on the need to be versatile. Being able to say something about almost everything makes you a star of sorts. You wow your interviewers with such skills. Even if you don’t know an answer to a question, there are ways you can maneuver and still get passmark. In interviews that is. Not all questions have yes or no answer. Except you are expressly asked by your interviewer to give a yes or no answer, avoid as much as possible giving yes or no as straight answer. First present a logical case for what you feel the answer is, before landing. I have always been a newspaper person. I had started newspapers from my primary school days. This aids me a lot. I have been in interviews where we digressed to Arsenal discussion, I have been in interview where we strayed to the discussion of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, fuel subsidy etc. All these had practically nothing to do with the Accounting role I was being interviewed for. But hey, what if I don’t watch football or follow news? Well, I have not said being a football fan is a prerequisite for getting jobs, the point I am trying to make is, knowing one or two extra things beyond your primary discipline can be of help sometimes.

http://jarushub./2013/03/22/5-common-mistakes-nigerian-job-seekers-make/

Nice write up.

Point 4 somehow counters point 2. It boils down to who you know. Lol
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by greenmouse(m): 5:17pm On Mar 25, 2013
Calling Big salary expectation when you don't even know anything
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by stupor(m): 7:14pm On Mar 25, 2013
the best write up s far this year.

Kudôs !
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by stupor(m): 7:18pm On Mar 25, 2013
The best write up sò far this year.
Kudôs !
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by Ninilowo(m): 9:32pm On Mar 25, 2013
iamswizz: لقد قلت لك يجب ترجمته؟
Oginni?
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by Ninilowo(m): 9:38pm On Mar 25, 2013
Mother luck is also there. Pray for it before you go for any interview. Someone was disqualified just because his face looked strong on his passport photograph. Can you see that?
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by ChiFin: 11:16pm On Mar 25, 2013
Very interesting.
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by Ibehdonl(m): 6:33am On Mar 26, 2013
Good! Its time 2 amend.but 'we need some more'
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by Gorgeous58(f): 11:13am On Aug 05, 2013
Nice write-up,weldone.
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by judith989(f): 9:02pm On Jul 01, 2017
WOULD YOU LIKE TO WORK AND STUDY?

WOULD YOU LIKE TO WORK FROM HOME?

Kreative_Minds has vacancies for persons who are creative, Willing to work part-time and experienced in the following areas

1. GRAPHICS DESIGNING: Photoshop editing, logo design, business and cards design, e.t.c

2. WRITING: creative writing (short stories, poems,) article writing and rewriting, business writing, research writing e.t.c

3. BUSINESS: Presentation design, business plans, e.t.c

4. WEB DEVELOPMENT: Desktop application development, web design, word press, e-commerce development, e.t.c

Application from Students and recent graduates will be most welcome. Simply send a copy of your resume, a cover letter stating what area you are interested in, and a draft of your work to

creativemindnj1@gmail.com

Applicants must be ready to have access to the internet 24/7. The pay is on a weekly basis and dependent on the volume of work done.

Deadline: July 30th
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by MrToothBrush: 7:21am On Dec 04, 2019
Nice thread
Re: 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make by Mosfemi: 4:57pm On Jan 11, 2021
Start freelancing on https://wecruite.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Job Vacancies: Kaduna State University Is Recruiting(photos) / Board Of Internal Revenue Job,anambra / Is NSCDC Replacement List Finally Out..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.