Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,611 members, 7,820,170 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? (26371 Views)

Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? / Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by valdubem(m): 12:06am On Mar 23, 2013
I have been thinking of the day I'll start investing in stocks of foreign companies; but before I do, I'll need to get some clarifications.

Let's say I want to purchase stocks/shares of US Public quoted companies like Zynga inc or Dell Inc;
(1). How do I go about it?
(2). Can my local stock broker facilitate the deal?
(3). Are there any local/international laws in place to effect smooth transaction?
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by biolabee(m): 12:08am On Mar 23, 2013
also interested.. A major hindrance is how to get a broker and the huge exchange rate differential
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by valdubem(m): 12:11am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee: also interested.. A major hindrance is how to get a broker and the huge exchange rate differential

Good. Let's see what advice we'll get.
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by olushowunm(m): 12:43am On Mar 23, 2013
@Op... Itz easy, you just need to have 2 accounts confirmed, one is your domicilliary account and a foreign brokerage account if you are small time investor, but if you have upto $100k and above to invest, consider registering a trust in Guarnsey or Jersey or Cayman Island, then establish a banking relationship with a offshore bank and brokerage firm, this is to save you on tax and exempt you from any tax coming from Nigeria. Also, you may be presented with diverse opportunities such as margin as low as 25% in places like switzerland, and don't get me wrong here, you can have swiss broker and still buy us stocks.
Also, you have opportunities of investing in derivatives such as puts and calls to cover your market positions thus having what i called "Stock market Insurance"...
You can also get involve in derivatives without having to buy the stocks and this can get you about 10% margin instead of standard 50% margin offered in US through Regulation T...
I can explain more if you wish to learn more!

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by olushowunm(m): 12:44am On Mar 23, 2013
To learn more kindly subscribe to my lectures series:

www.nairaland.com/1234168/art-personal-leverage-lectures-series

2 Likes

Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by stockbull(m): 5:35am On Mar 23, 2013
val_dubem: I have been thinking of the day I'll start investing in stocks of foreign companies; but before I do, I'll need to get some clarifications.

Let's say I want to purchase stocks/shares of US Public quoted companies like Zynga inc or Dell Inc; (1). How do I go about it? (2). Can my local stock broker facilitate the deal? (3). Are there any local/international laws in place to effect smooth transaction?

StockBull, Seun, other great minds, your inputs will be very very needed here THANKS!

you will need domicilary account with nigeria bank here.
You will open account with foreign broker registered on the US exchange e.g tdameritrade
you will need an attorney in some of the broker,your bank statement of account. Tax form e.g w8-ben , and other few things but the problem now is that CBN pose a bitter face towards wire transfer and other forms of sending money abroad as they want to control money in our circulation and fight money laundering.
When back, i would check the necessary document you need from my file as am not around now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by valdubem(m): 5:44am On Mar 23, 2013
Olushowunm, StockBull; I appreciate! May God bless you up and down.

1 Like

Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by Nobody: 5:48am On Mar 23, 2013
olushowunm: @Op... Itz easy, you just need to have 2 accounts confirmed, one is your domicilliary account and a foreign brokerage account if you are small time investor, but if you have upto $100k and above to invest, consider registering a trust in Guarnsey or Jersey or Cayman Island, then establish a banking relationship with a offshore bank and brokerage firm, this is to save you on tax and exempt you from any tax coming from Nigeria. Also, you may be presented with diverse opportunities such as margin as low as 25% in places like switzerland, and don't get me wrong here, you can have swiss broker and still buy us stocks.
Also, you have opportunities of investing in derivatives such as puts and calls to cover your market positions thus having what i called "Stock market Insurance"...
You can also get involve in derivatives without having to buy the stocks and this can get you about 10% margin instead of standard 50% margin offered in US through Regulation T...
Please go ahead!
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by Nobody: 5:48am On Mar 23, 2013
I will also like to know in details how the New York stock exchange works and how do you knoW which is more profitable to invest in when compared to NASDAQ?
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by stockbull(m): 6:18am On Mar 23, 2013
val_dubem: Olushowunm, StockBull; I appreciate! May God bless you up and down.
thanks.
Just want to say that the US stock market is almost the same with ours as regard profitability especially when our market is now back; that is if you want to invest on long term. You have advantage here than in foreign countries.their policy sometimes, you deal with virtual broker and may be difficult sometimes to easily get out of troubled waters. Foreign penny stock market is the only better than ours but skills are needed. Thanks
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by stockbull(m): 6:18am On Mar 23, 2013
Brand_new: I will also like to know in details how the New York stock exchange works and how do you knoW which is more profitable to invest in when compared to NASDAQ?

they work almost thesame, you need almost the same requirement as a foreigner. Although they are not rated the same, the two are strong and they have common company stocks. It is your skills that makes you succeed in any of it.
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by olushowunm(m): 6:33am On Mar 23, 2013
@Op... You are welcome...

@Brand new... From your question, i think you are into trading, but in investing, Any of the companies are publicly traded company and does not matter whether they are listed on NYSE, NASDAQ, LSE or Eurnext... Its just about finding bargain anywhere and invest in it, even through your broker, you hardly notice the differentiation...
To learn about my book please check the following link and let me know your take on it!
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by BSF: 6:54am On Mar 23, 2013
olushowunm: @Op... Itz easy, you just need to have 2 accounts confirmed, one is your domicilliary account and a foreign brokerage account if you are small time investor, but if you have upto $100k and above to invest, consider registering a trust in Guarnsey or Jersey or Cayman Island, then establish a banking relationship with a offshore bank and brokerage firm, this is to save you on tax and exempt you from any tax coming from Nigeria. Also, you may be presented with diverse opportunities such as margin as low as 25% in places like switzerland, and don't get me wrong here, you can have swiss broker and still buy us stocks.

I want to know and learn more
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by ayo84(m): 7:01am On Mar 23, 2013
You should google it, with all these online forex brokers popping up everywhere, I'm sure they are a number of online stockbrokers who can help you place a trade under an arrangement and a leverage and can take your money from anywhere in the world and trade on your behalf, even allowing you to control trade, yourself.
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by vanstanzy(m): 7:03am On Mar 23, 2013
Thanks op, 4 bringing up this discuss. May God continue to grease ur elbow. smiley smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by nairawall: 7:05am On Mar 23, 2013
You can use www.pectstocks.com to buy and sell international stocks in Nigeria. You don't need domiciliary account to buy stocks on PectStocks.com.

Pectstocks.com is direct access platform for US stocks.
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by igbanbajo(m): 7:09am On Mar 23, 2013
Bookmarked.
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by biolabee(m): 7:10am On Mar 23, 2013
stockbull:

you will need domicilary account with nigeria bank here.
You will open account with foreign broker registered on the US exchange e.g tdameritrade
you will need an attorney in some of the broker,your bank statement of account. Tax form e.g w8-ben , and other few things but the problem now is that CBN pose a bitter face towards wire transfer and other forms of sending money abroad as they want to control money in our circulation and fight money laundering.
When back, i would check the necessary document you need from my file as am not around now.

Step 1 is not too difficult
Its step 2 becaise i find they dont accept accounts opened from Naija,, how does someone go around this

We will be standing by for when you get back
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by vanstanzy(m): 7:10am On Mar 23, 2013

Pls go on!
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by vanstanzy(m): 7:10am On Mar 23, 2013

Pls go on!
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by OluEmmaAss: 7:18am On Mar 23, 2013
Great thread!

1 Like

Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by olushowunm(m): 7:21am On Mar 23, 2013
To open an account, it depends on your start-up capital, there are some for the high-ups and some for the low-downs...
You can trade with e-trade.com
Also, try schwab.com

These are the ones i trust as schwab is one of the oldest stock brokerage firms in the world and they are very blunt.
But for the daring spirits, try others like scotstrade.com, mfglobal.com, choicetrade.com and speedtrader.com...

Please absolve me from any loss you may encounter as stocks trading is risking as i don't trade, i only invest in good companies through my brokers.

4 Likes

Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by azpekuliar: 7:42am On Mar 23, 2013
Thread bookmarked... Apple shares costs $800 per share! shocked
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by valdubem(m): 7:44am On Mar 23, 2013
azpekuliar: Thread bookmarked... Apple shares costs $800 per share! shocked

shocked shocked
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by Walexy96: 8:29am On Mar 23, 2013
When it comes to stock or anything about business u won't see much people contributing {because they don't know}, this what make nigeria as a whole a financial failure economic. That's why when we have opportunity to any political office, we make sure we have the account exhausted before we left the office. See how financial wise the thread is, see how many people contributing. Am sure some people won't even bother to read it.
@ op @stockbull @olushowunm thanks alot.

7 Likes

Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by Dreamsinbc(f): 8:31am On Mar 23, 2013
Thanks, op, for starting this topic.

1 Like

Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by Nobody: 8:32am On Mar 23, 2013
azpekuliar: Thread bookmarked... Apple shares costs $800 per share! shocked
whoever buys that is on a very long thing. Good to invest in start-up's with great future prospects. FYI Apple shares once sold for less than $10 USD. Those who bought it then would be making fortunes now. It's all about good prospecting.
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by jpcomrade: 8:34am On Mar 23, 2013
Won't Alam's pardon affect Nigerians 'participation in US stock market?
Re: How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 23, 2013
nairawall: You can use www.pectstocks.com to buy and sell international stocks in Nigeria. You don't need domiciliary account to buy stocks on PectStocks.com.

Pectstocks.com is direct access platform for US stocks.
Great info.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme / Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? / Which Loan App Is The Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.