Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,823 members, 7,956,106 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:08 AM

Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others (73841 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Igbo Or Ibo? / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
odumchi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNo__febcbM

i remember this.
it's unfortunate he had to disable the comments.

why cant ppl discuss history without making it personal?
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 05, 2013
ezeagu: Yoruba indentured servants were still arriving in places like Trinidad and Tobago and Brazil way after most European nations had abandoned buying slaves from Africa.

By the way, Efik and aspects of their culture still exists in the Cuban abacua society. Many aspects of Brazilians culture like Candomble and music comes from Angola.

true.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 11:32pm On Apr 05, 2013
ezeagu:
How can you say the Igbo weren't rebellious then shoot yourself in the foot by mentioning Barbados, the most Igbo place in the Western hemisphere. The nickname for Barbados, Bem, is Igbo, the national hero and major slave revolt leader of Barbados, Bussa, is Igbo. Igbo people have rebellions named after them in Jamaica like the 1815 Igbo conspiracy, and 1816 Black River rebellion.

You keep making noise about Igbo not having any presence in Jamaica as if the biggest contributors to Patois aint Igbo, or as if the main shaman system, Obeah, isn't Igbo. Igbo people have a whole African-American folk-story centered around them, forget a village, they had an entire section of Belize City named after them. Can you show me another Equiano, with an African name calling themselves African and specifically identifying with their ethnic group? Can you tell me any African word that used as much as 'unu' and 'de/di' in the Caribbean?

My comment was directed to MSD's claim that Yoruba slaves weren't "badazzes" - yet the two biggest revolts in the new world were by Fon(Haitian revolution) and Yoruba(Imale Bahia Brazilian slave revolt)... The Imale revolt was so great, they had to deport some of the slaves back to Africa... The truth is that Igbo slaves were more suicidal than rebellious, to be honest... You may cite Barbados, however that doesn't change the fact that the Yoruba culture is still more dominant in the Barbados than Igbo culture... There are loads of Barbadians with Yoruba first names - and their President's house is also named after Yoruba people... Heck, some of Barbadian sprinters and beauty queens of the past have/had Yoruba names...

I never said Igbos were not dominant in Jamaica - if you go back ad read my post again... You'll see that I cited Jamaica as having more Akan and Igbo people than Yoruba people... I was just alluding to the Jamaicans that I've met with Yoruba first names..

Igbo slaves were the last to arrive in USA - how come they didn't leave the same imprint and impact the Yoruba slaves had from Louisiana to South Carolina?? The only place synonymous with Igbo slaves in USA is Virginia... However, Yoruba slaves were everywhere in the South... Heck, more than 50% of those doing the DNA ancestry thing have Yoruba ancestry... Kareem Abdul Jabar never needed ancestry DNA testing to know he's Yoruba - his pops told him as a kid... The same goes for Pele(fooballer) and rapper Nas' pops... I watched Nas' interview with the Actor's Studio yesterday, and he alluded to the fact that he kind of grew up as an African kid because his dad played Yoruba music and Fela Kuti's songs all the time...

Another thing to look at is when the New Afrika Movement started in USA in the 60s/70s, how come most of them preferred Yoruba names to other African names?? How come they also preferred the Yoruba Danshiki to other African clothes How come they preferred Yoruba gods to other African gods?? Heck, every time I watch Afrocentric AA videos - they all cite Yoruba culture than any other culture from West Africa... That's the impact the Yoruba culture have/had in the new world - no other culture is close, to be honest...

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 11:43pm On Apr 05, 2013
MsDarkSkin: LMAO!! Guys (shymmex & Ezeagu) like i said before:
We are more than just Igbo and Yoruba.
I have acknowledged the contributions of both groups equally as it truly is.

@shymmex where did you see that I used Jamaican culture as the staple or example for all of us? Please show me where. Yeah some Yoruba rebelled but it's documented and fact that they were not feared by the slave traders as the Akan and Kongo were. This is nothing I am making up. It's fact.

What happened between the Oyo Empire and the Akan happened IN AFRICA but in the west Akan and Kongo were the "trouble makers" - most likely to revolt regardless of being faced with death. The igbo too were considered to be "thorns" in the side of the establishment. Again that is not to say the Yoruba did not fight back...some did of course! I am just saying don't try to assume what happened in Africa happened in the Caribbean. Because once again, you guys came at a later time after slavery was at its worse.

It isn't about "we" - it's about you not giving credits where it's due... You need to speak for Jamaica because Jamaica is more of an Igbo/Akan country than a Yoruba country - except for the people from New Cross... and these people still acknowledge their Yoruba heritage... Heck, most of them also believe most Jamaican slaves were Yoruba people - and they align with Yoruba than other African cultures....

Can you show me any other revolt the Akans led apart from the Maroons?? The two biggest revolts were led by Fon(Haitian Revolution and voodoo) and Yoruba(Imale revolt in Brazil) - and these are the same two groups who smashed the Akan people in Africa...

And Yoruba slaves never came late, they were there from the beginning of the slaves trade from when it got to the Western African coast... The late comers you're referring to were the ones who came after slavery was abolished - and that was because of the Yoruba civil war at that point in history... And most of them were taken to South America...

No matter how you look at it, the most dominant culture in the new world is/was and will always be the Yoruba culture... The only country were the Yoruba culture isn't really that dominant is probably Belize... However, they still worship Yoruba gods there...

Just give credit where it's due...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 06, 2013
Shymmex: Ive given credit where it was needed and deserved.

You are so determined to claim the yoruba had the most impact on western blacks despite me posting evidence which prove my point that all contributed equally and the yoruba by default had a lasting impact due to time (last to arrive).

you ignored these facts and made it personal.

The two biggest revolts were not the hands of the yoruba only..in fact there were no two biggest revolts. Waay More than 2 occured which changed the history of the slave trade. La amistad occurred at sea ffs...lol as did most of the revolts. I guess those on board were all yoruba too huh? Despite them claiming to be mende? grin

Not even a year ago, you wanted to pretend all afro. Brazilians were yoruba loool. I kept telling you otherwise and you took it personal...history repeating itself.

Until you take the time to really understand our history you dont need to try to debate me on this. I dont care about your ego, im talking truth. And the truth is yoruba culture is referred to because they came later and thus by default is the culture associated with africa. The connection to africa via the yoruba culture is a means to have an identity in a region where blacks are told they have no legacy, no culture, no relevance. These blacks were from all over the continent...a lot werent even west african sir..for the last time!

Yes...some yoruba ppl revolted. they were held against their will ffs. Its natural. I never denied this but im saying the legacy of being hostile as far ad the kongo (and to an extent the akan) ppl are concerned was a strong one in north, central, and south america. Its just a fact.

Btw..where did u see that it says those who practice santeria preferred yoruba? You see how you choose to interpret my facts? It clearly states bantu deities as well as the yoruba (and others) have been fused and their names used interchangeably.
This talk about dna...smh. Do you even understand how the tests are conducted?

Lord have mercy...

For the sake of my sanity and our cyber friendship...ima gonna dead this debate.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 12:41am On Apr 06, 2013
You can argue all you want, however, you can never deny the fact that the biggest slave rebellion was the Haitian Revolution that birthed the first independent black country... The Imale revolt was the 2nd biggest revolt... Perhaps, both the Fon and Yoruba were not "badazzes" enough, yet they led the two biggest revolts, no?? And I'm still waiting for the revolts of the "badazzes" Akan apart from the Maroons...

And last year, I only alluded to Bahia being a Yoruba enclave and it has always been since the slavery days... Also, the topic I created was about Bahia and NOT the whole of Brazil... This isn't about your history, it's black history, and an area of interest for me... You goofed when you kept mentioning the Fulanis despite the fact that there were few Fulani slaves...

Again, no matter how you look at it - Yoruba culture will always be the most dominant culture in the new world... You may cite Afrocentric AAs and their never ending obsession with Dashiki, Oshun, Yemaya et al... Heck, all African history scholars/academics would tell you the same thing...

Claiming Santeria is a Bantu culture is the most disingenuous post ever... Santeria is primarily a Yoruba culture with some Fon influence...

Santeria:
It is primarily based on African Yoruba religion, although the beliefs of the Dahomey and Benin people also influence it. These source religions can still be found in Africa today.
http://altreligion.about.com/od/alternativereligionsaz/a/Santeria.htm

Perhaps, you still have a lot of reading to do but always give credit where it's due...

14 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 1:15am On Apr 06, 2013
shymexx: You can argue all you want, however, you can never deny the fact that the biggest slave rebellion was the Haitian Revolution that birthed the first independent black country... The Imale revolt was the 2nd biggest revolt... Perhaps, both the Fon and Yoruba were not "badazzes" enough, yet they led the two biggest revolts, no?? And I'm still waiting for the revolts of the "badazzes" Akan apart from the Maroons...

And last year, I only alluded to Bahia being a Yoruba enclave and it has always been since the slavery days... Also, the topic I created was about Bahia and NOT the whole of Brazil... This isn't about your history, it's black history, and an area of interest for me... You goofed when you kept mentioning the Fulanis despite the fact that there were few Fulani slaves...

Again, no matter how you look at it - Yoruba culture will always be the most dominant culture in the new world... You may cite Afrocentric AAs and their never ending obsession with Dashiki, Oshun, Yemaya et al... Heck, all African history scholars/academics would tell you the same thing...

Claiming Santeria is a Bantu culture is the most disingenuous post ever... Santeria is primarily a Yoruba culture with some Fon influence...

Santeria:

Perhaps, you still have a lot of reading to do but always give credit where it's due...

LMAO. Ok..
you feel better now? smiley

good. argument done.

@everyone else,
carefully read through my posts and take from it the truth.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by ezeagu(m): 1:30pm On Apr 06, 2013
shymexx:

My comment was directed to MSD's claim that Yoruba slaves weren't "badazzes" - yet the two biggest revolts in the new world were by Fon(Haitian revolution) and Yoruba(Imale Bahia Brazilian slave revolt)... The Imale revolt was so great, they had to deport some of the slaves back to Africa... The truth is that Igbo slaves were more suicidal than rebellious, to be honest... You may cite Barbados, however that doesn't change the fact that the Yoruba culture is still more dominant in the Barbados than Igbo culture... There are loads of Barbadians with Yoruba first names - and their President's house is also named after Yoruba people... Heck, some of Barbadian sprinters and beauty queens of the past have/had Yoruba names...

I never said Igbos were not dominant in Jamaica - if you go back ad read my post again... You'll see that I cited Jamaica as having more Akan and Igbo people than Yoruba people... I was just alluding to the Jamaicans that I've met with Yoruba first names..

Igbo slaves were the last to arrive in USA - how come they didn't leave the same imprint and impact the Yoruba slaves had from Louisiana to South Carolina?? The only place synonymous with Igbo slaves in USA is Virginia... However, Yoruba slaves were everywhere in the South... Heck, more than 50% of those doing the DNA ancestry thing have Yoruba ancestry... Kareem Abdul Jabar never needed ancestry DNA testing to know he's Yoruba - his pops told him as a kid... The same goes for Pele(fooballer) and rapper Nas' pops... I watched Nas' interview with the Actor's Studio yesterday, and he alluded to the fact that he kind of grew up as an African kid because his dad played Yoruba music and Fela Kuti's songs all the time...

Another thing to look at is when the New Afrika Movement started in USA in the 60s/70s, how come most of them preferred Yoruba names to other African names?? How come they also preferred the Yoruba Danshiki to other African clothes How come they preferred Yoruba gods to other African gods?? Heck, every time I watch Afrocentric AA videos - they all cite Yoruba culture than any other culture from West Africa... That's the impact the Yoruba culture have/had in the new world - no other culture is close, to be honest...

The New Afrikan movement and other Ankh waving movements are neo-Africanist movements based on information gotten from books. The Yoruba were the last people to arrive in places like Brazil and Trinidad and were able to retain their culture in South America this way which made the biggest impact on the Africanists. Same way the widespread use of Swahili lead to them adopting Swahili speaking cultures, and the grandiosity of Ancient Egypt lead them to pick that up even when these cultures have little to do with their ancestors. You're hanging onto your Barbados theory because of Obadele Thompson as if African Americans called Keisha are proof of major Kenyan influence in America. Let's ignore the fact that there are people who also picked up Igbo names like Kojo Nnamdi who took an Igbo name as an actual family name and Jamaican Oku Onuora who did the same.

I'm talking about influence. Let's talk about Ebo landing (which remains in African American folklore till today). Let's talk about Red Eboe. Let's talk about slave notices in the South about "Eboe" runaways. Barbadians do not know anyother type of African shamanism except Obeah, there is no Yoruba nickname used for Barbados. This Imale revolt you're raving about led to nothing, no significant European casualties if any, not as large or even nearly as significant as Nat Turner's slave rebellion, the biggest in US history, which took place in Virginia, you've already noted why Virginia is significant.

Pele's name has nothing to do with any African language. You say Nas, again, I say Nnenna Freelon and Keisha Cole. Its of no Significance. We've already established the fact that Ebo landing is in South Carolina and the tale goes throughout the south. There is no tale of Yoruba slaves in New Orleans. We also need to know that one of the first presidents of Liberia, Edward James Roye, was repatriated from the US and claimed to be of Igbo descent.

You should have just left the Igbo out of your discussion.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 06, 2013
^^^^Bro., I never slighted Igbo's contribution in the new world - my grudge is with MSD and her innate way of always trying put down the glaring contributions of the Yoruba culture in the new world... I was probably one of the first people on this forum to talk extensively about the impact of Igbo culture in Virginia, Barbados, Belize, Jamaica etc.. However, you can never deny the contributions of Yoruba culture in the new world... From their way of life, to their spirituality... Santeria(Brazil), Lukumi(Cuba) etc.. Even both candombe and voodun have Yoruba influences as well...

Anyway, for every Nnenna Freelon - you'll see Taye Diggs, Olugbala(Dead Prez), Baratunde, and Afeni Shakur...

How the heck can someone even cite Fulani(lol) as having an impact in the new world?? grin The same Fulanis with no distinct culture whatsoever apart from the Jihad movement of Uthman Dan Fodio... They weren't too many Fulani slaves back because they were irrelevant and isolated somewhere along the Futa Jallon... Most of the things people give the Fulanis credit for actually belong to the Hausas, to be honest... undecided As for the Akan, their only impact was in Jamaica - even the Fon, Mende, and Mandikas had more impact than them in the new world...

9 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by ezeagu(m): 3:08pm On Apr 06, 2013
You mentioned the Igbo presence when responding to a discussion about Yoruba prescence. That was why I had to set things straight.

The Ghanaians were influential throughout the British Caribbean, most notably in Suriname. The Fulani had a little presence, but there are a few Jamaican words that are from the language.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 11, 2013
OK as a Jamaican I have to say that I have a distinct connection with my Yoruba friends more than anything. My step-father is Trini, so I've been immersed in that culture as well since I was 6 years old. And once again the Yoruba culture holds the most in common in my personal opinion. I may not be right, but its my opinion. I find that patois, and pidgin very similar. The way we raise our kids, family structure and even affinity for anything yam to be some of the many similarities. As for our annual carnivals, and some animism I would need to do more research on that one.

I'm also half Indian and find that there are also similarities (although less so) to our family structures in the way we greet our parents, and call our elders and so on. My bf was a little surprised when I touched my naniji's feet to greet her and serve my paternal grandparents first etc. But then again, the concept of manners, real manners is a universal human trait.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by ezeagu(m): 10:12pm On Apr 11, 2013
Personally, I see more similarity between Jamaicans and Ghanians/Congolese. The guys that remind me of Igbo culture are usually in the smaller English-speaking Caribbean islands like Barbados, and some African Americans.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by tonychristopher: 12:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
Igbo American

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions. (September 2012)
Igbo American
Ịgbo nke Amerika

W.D. Robeson • Paul Robeson[1] • M.L. Bustill
E.W. Blyden[2] • Blair Underwood[3] • F. Whitaker[4]
Total population
Unknown
Regions with significant populations
Throughout the entire South (especially Virginia) as well as the New York, Philadelphia, Newark, New Jersey, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Houston municipal areas, and Puerto Rico.
Languages
American English, African American Vernacular English, Igbo

Religion
Christianity:Majority: Roman Catholicism, but also Anglican , Methodist , Seventh-Day Adventist and Non-Denominational

Related ethnic groups
Igbo people, African Americans

Igbo Americans, or Americans of Igbo ancestry, (Igbo: Ịgbo nke Amerika) ethnic Igbo people who are also citizens of the United States, most of them former Nigerian citizens that have arrived in the US as economic migrants and because of issues relating to the Nigerian-Biafran War.

In the United States Igbo slaves were erroneously referred to by a couple of names corrupted from Igbo such as Ibo and Eboe. Some Igbo slaves were also referred to as 'bites', denoting their Bight of Biafra origin, their new slave names were often given to them denoting their origin in Africa such as Bonna for a slave that arrived through the port of Bonny. Their presence in the United States was met with mixed feelings by American plantation owners.

Contents

1 History
1.1 Atlantic slave trade
1.2 Virginia
1.3 Kentucky
2 Culture
3 Life in America
4 Religion
5 Igbo landmarks in America
5.1 Igbo village in Virginia
6 Genealogy tracing
7 Notable Americans of Igbo ancestry
8 See also
9 References
10 Further reading
11 External links
[edit] History

[edit] Atlantic slave trade

The Igbo were affected heavily by the Atlantic slave trade in the 18th century. Igbo slaves were known for being rebellious and having a high count of suicide in defiance of slavery.[5][6][7] In the United States the Igbo were most numerous in the states of Maryland (coincidentally where there is a predominant population of recent Igbo immigrants)[8] and Virginia,[9] so much so that some historians have denominated colonial Virginia as “Igbo land.”[9]

With a total of 37,000 Africans that arrived in Virginia from Calabar in the 18th century, 30,000 were Igbo according to Douglas B. Chambers.[9] The Frontier Culture Museum of Virginia estimates around 38% of captives taken to Virginia were from the Bight of Biafra.[10] Igbo peoples constituted the majority of enslaved Africans in Maryland.[9] Chambers has been quoted saying "My research suggests that perhaps 60 percent of black Americans have at least one Igbo ancestor..."[11]

[edit] Virginia

Slave notice from Williamsburg, Virginia for a runaway "Ibo Negro"
Virginia was the colony that took in the largest percentage of Igbo slaves. Researchers such as David Eltis estimate between 30—45% of the 'imported' slaves were from the Bight of Biafra, of these slaves 80% were likely Igbo. A so-called conservative estimate of the amount of Igbo taken into Virginia between 1698 and 1778 is placed at 25,000. The Igbo concentration was especially high in the Tidewater and Piedmont regions of the Virginia interior.[12] One of the reasons for this high number of Igbo slaves in Virginia was the domination of the Bight of Biafra region of Africa by Bristol and Liverpool English merchants who frequently brought Bight of Biafra slaves to British colonies, Virginia being one of these colonies. The high concentration of Igbo slaves in Virginia was contributed to further by neighboring states. Planters in South Carolina and Georgia looked down on Igbo slaves because many were rebellious. Because of this the majority of Igbo slaves were taken and sold to Virginian planters.

Some possible Igbo names were also found among slave records in Virginia. Names found in records such as Anica, or Anakey, Breechy and Juba may originate respectively from the Igbo names Nneka, meaning the mother is superior, and mburichi, male members of the Kingdom of Nri and Jiugba, meaning yam barn. Some had their ethnicity added to their names such as Eboe Sarah and plain Ebo.[13] These hints of Igbo influence go along with cultural remnants pointing towards the Igbo presence in Virginia, one of which is the use of the Eboe drum in music. The Igbo presence in Virginia also brought new practices such as the cultivation of Okra, a plant whose name derives from the Igbo language. Slaves in Virginia relied on sweet potato which is argued by Douglas Chambers to be an indication of a substitute for yam, the Igbo staple crop.

[edit] Kentucky

The state of Kentucky, which was carved out of the Colony of Virginia had received many of Virginia's slave drivers and slaves as people started migrating westward. These migrations spread out the population of African slaves in America, including Igbo slaves. Here the Igbo population had already become heavily creoleized alongside other African ethnicity's that were taken in significant numbers to America.

[edit] Culture

African cultures were heavily suppressed in the American slave era. The plantation and slave owners made sure to suppress African cultures through intimidation and torture, stripping away slaves' names and heritage. As expected, Igbo culture faced the same oppression, however some cultural remnants of Igbo origin was found and can still be found in the United States. Most of these cultural remnants can be found in music and entertainment. Igbo culture manifested in America through the Jonkonnu festivals that once took residence in the black slave population in Virginia. This masquerade bears similarity with the masking traditions of the Okonko secret society who still operate in the Igbo hinterland. The maskers wear horns which further shows similarity to Igbo culture and the Ikenga deity. Heavily African influenced American music genres such as Jazz and Ragtime stem from a mix of African cultures that creolized in the Americas. Although these genres could be described as a mix, there are elements of American music that have specific origin and Igbo instruments, such as the 'Eboe Drum'. The Igbo opi flute is similar to the drum and fife traditions.

[edit] Life in America

Americans of Igbo descent who have lived in America for quite some time, have most likely adopted to the overall culture of the States. Many Igbo do speak their native tongue, the Igbo language, but American English is also prevalent, as many Igbo American children have adopted the American way of life. For many average Igbo American families, visits back home to Igboland in Nigeria are important and a way of relaxation for many.

Igbo Americans have adopted much of American culture. Many celebrate popular U.S. holidays such as Thanksgiving and Independence Day. Igbo culture is mixed with this American culture through acculturation. Many Igbo Americans have also adopted African American culture.

[edit] Religion

The majority of Igbo Americans identify as Christian, with a significant amount of adherents to Roman Catholicism. Protestantism including Anglicanism, Seventh day Adventist, Baptist, Methodist and non-denomiational churches make up the other denominations of Igbo Christians.

[edit] Igbo landmarks in America

The language spread of Kru, Igbo and Yoruba in the United States according to[14] U. S. Census 2000.
[edit] Igbo village in Virginia

The Frontier Culture Museum of Virginia has completed an Igbo single-family farmers compound to acknowledge the prevalence of the Igbo in 19th century Virginia.[10]

[edit] Genealogy tracing

In the 2003 PBS program African American Lives, Bishop T.D. Jakes had his DNA analyzed; his Y chromosome showed that he is descended from the Igbo.[15] American actors Forest Whitaker and Blair Underwood have traced their genealogy back to the Igbo people.[16][17]

[edit] Notable Americans of Igbo ancestry

Edward James Roye[18]

Nnamdi Asomugha

Chikezie

Emeka Okafor

Nnedi Okorafor

[edit] See also

African diaspora
African American
Afro-Puerto Rican
Nigerian American
Igbo people
Igbo Jamaican
[edit] References

^ The Undiscovered Paul Robeson, An Artist's Journey, 1898–1939. ISBN 0-471-24265-9.Unknown parameter |binding= ignored (help)
^ "Edward Wilmot Blyden". Microsoft Encarta Online Encyclopedia 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-10-31.
^ Underwood, Blair. "Testimonials - "A welcome surprise that my people are from Nigeria & Ibo people"". Africanancestry.com. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
^ James Lipton (Himself - Host), Forest Whitaker (Himself) (11 December 2006). "Inside the Actors Studio: Forest Whitaker (2006)". Inside the Actors Studio. Season 13. Bravomedia. Bravotv. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1013110/.
^ Lovejoy, Paul E. (2003). Trans-Atlantic Dimensions of Ethnicity in the African Diaspora. Continuum International Publishing Group. pp. 92–93. ISBN 0-8264-4907-7.
^ Isichei, Elizabeth Allo (2002). Voices of the Poor in Africa. Boydell & Brewer. p. 81. ISBN 1-58046-107-7.
^ Rucker, Walter C. (2006). The River Flows on: Black Resistance, Culture, and Identity Formation in Early America. LSU Press. p. 52. ISBN 0-8071-3109-1.
^ "Languages in America". U.S.ENGLISH Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2009-05-08.Text "#25 along with [[Kru language|Kru]] and [[Yoruba language|Yoruba]] " ignored (help)
^ a b c d Chambers, Douglas B. (March 1, 2005). Murder at Montpelier: Igbo Africans in Virginia. University Press of Mississippi. p. 23. ISBN 1-57806-706-5.
^ a b "West Africa: Why the Igbo?". Frontier Culture Museum of Virginia. Retrieved 2009-05-02.[dead link]
^ "Southern Miss history professor made chief in Nigerian royal lineage". University of Southern Mississippi. April 15, 2005. Retrieved 2009-05-02.
^ Chambers, Douglas B. (2005). Murder at Montpelier: Igbo Africans in Virginia (illustrated ed.). Univ. Press of Mississippi. pp. 13, 160. ISBN 1-57806-706-5.
^ Chambers, Douglas B. (2005). Murder at Montpelier: Igbo Africans in Virginia (illustrated ed.). Univ. Press of Mississippi. pp. 101–102, 160. ISBN 1-57806-706-5.
^ "Census 2000 Gateway". Census.gov. Retrieved 2008-11-19.
^ http://www.wvwc.edu/lib/wv_authors/authors/a_jakes.htm West Virginia Wesleyan College - "Jakes was born in South Charleston, West Virginia on June 9, 1957."
^ 9th paragraph "I wanted to understand what it was like to be Ugandan, even though my roots are in Nigeria and other parts of West Africa.”
^ http://www.africanancestry.com/testimonials/index.html "A welcome surprise that my people are from Nigeria & Ibo people" - Blair Underwood - Africanancestry.com
^ Lynch, Deidre Shauna; Hollis R. Lynch (1970). Edward Wilmot Blyden. Oxford University Press US. p. 3. ISBN 0-19-501268-2.
[edit] Further reading

Chambers, Douglas B. (2005). "Murder At Montpelier: Igbo Africans In Virginia". ISBN 1-57806-706-5
Sea Island slavery (Igbo landing) - The moonlit road
[edit] External links

Igboguide.org - Insight into Igbo Culture and Language
v
t
e
Igbo topics
History
(chronological order)
Origin
Igbo-Ukwu
Kingdom of Nri
Atlantic slave trade
Aro Confederacy
Ekumeku Movement
Anglo-Aro War
Aba Women's Riots
Eastern Nigeria
1966 anti-Igbo pogrom
Nigerian-Biafran War
Nigeria
Subgroups
Anioma
Aro
Edda
Ekpeye
Etche
Ezaa
Ika
Ikwerre
Ikwo
Ishielu
Izzi
Mbaise
Mgbo
Ngwa
Nkalu
Nri-Igbo
Ogba
Ohafia
Ohuhu
Omuma
Onitsha
Oratta
Ukwuani
Politics
Anti-Igbo sentiment
Biafra
Eastern Nigeria
MASSOB
Nigeria
Ohanaeze Ndigbo
Rulers of Nri
Geography
(Igboland)
States
Abia
Akwa Ibom
Anambra
Bayelsa
Cross River
Ebonyi
Enugu
Delta
Imo
Rivers
Major cities
Aba
Ahaba
Énugwú
Ọnịcha Mmili
Owèrrè
Ugwu Ọcha
Demographics
Igbo people
list
Canada
Jamaica
Saros
United Kingdom
United States
Culture
Art
Calendar
Cuisine
Jews
Music
Highlife
Odumodu
Ogene
Names
New Yam Festival
Odinani (mythology)
Language
Language
Igbo
Igboid
Names - SPILC
Dialects
Delta Igbo
Enuani Igbo
Ika Igbo
Ikwerre
Izzi
Wikipedia
Igbo Wikipedia
Category
Portal
v
t
e
African American topics
History
Atlantic slave trade
Maafa
Slavery in the United States
Reconstruction Era
Military history of African Americans
Jim Crow laws
Redlining
Great Migration
Civil Rights Movement 1896–1954 / 1955–1968
Second Great Migration
Afrocentrism
New Great Migration
Post-Civil Rights era
Inauguration of Barack Obama
Culture
African American studies
Art
Black mecca
Black colleges and universities
Black schools
Dance
Juneteenth
Kwanzaa
Literature
Museums
Music
Neighborhoods
Sexual orientation
Religion
Black church
Black liberation theology
Black theology
Doctrine of Father Divine
American Society of Muslims
Nation of Islam
Black Hebrew Israelites
Political movements
Pan-Africanism
Nationalism
Black Power
Black fist
Capitalism
Conservatism
Populism
Leftism
Black Panther Party
Garveyism
Civic and economic
groups
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)
Congress of Racial Equality (CORE)
Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC)
National Urban League (NUL)
Rights organizations
Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH)
Thurgood Marshall College Fund
United Negro College Fund (UNCF)
National Black Chamber of Commerce (NBCC)
National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC)
The Links
National Council of Negro Women (NCNW)
Sports
Negro league baseball
Baseball color line
Black players in American professional football
African Americans in the Canadian Football League
Blacks in ice hockey
Athletic associations
and conferences
Central (CIAA)
Southern (SIAC)
Mid-Eastern (MEAC)
Southwestern (SWAC)
Ethnic subdivisions
Black Indians
Gullah
Igbo
Languages
English
American English
African American Vernacular English
Gullah
Louisiana Creole French
Diaspora
Caribbean history
Liberia
Nova Scotia
Sierra Leone
France
Haiti
Lists
African Americans
visual artists
Republicans
US senators
African-American firsts
mayors
US state firsts
Landmark African-American legislation
African American-related articles
Topics related to the African diaspora
Category
Portal
v
t
e
African diaspora
By geography
Americas
Anglophone America
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Bermuda
Canada (Black Nova Scotians)
Grenada
Guyana
Jamaica (Igbo Jamaican
Coromantee
Jamaican Maroons)
Trinidad & Tobago
United States (Black Hispanic
Black Indians in the U.S.
Black Seminoles
Gullah
Multiracial American)
Hispanic America
Argentina
Bolivia
Colombia (Raizal, Pacific coast blacks)
Chile
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominican Republic (Samaná Americans, Cocolo)
Guatemala
Honduras
Nicaragua
Ecuador
El Salvador
Mexico
Panama (Cimarron people)
Paraguay
Peru
Puerto Rico
Uruguay
Venezuela
Other countries
Brazil (Kalunga
Quilombola)
Haiti (Mawon)
Suriname
(Kwinti
Ndyuka
Paramaccan)
Europe
Abkhazia
France
Germany
Ireland
Netherlands
Portugal
Russia
Scotland
Spain
Turkey
United Kingdom
Middle East
Iran
Iraq
Israel
Jordan
Yemen
South Asia
India (Karnataka
Siddi)
Pakistan (Makrani)
Sri Lanka (Sri Lanka Kaffirs)
Oceania
Australia
New Zealand
Diaspora-wide issues
Afro-American religion
Afro-American settlement in Africa
Afro-American settlement in Europe (African Americans in France)
Yoruba and Igbo people in the Atlantic slave trade
Garifuna people
in United States
Maroons
Black Power
Civil rights movement
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Igbo_American&oldid=550304070"
Categories:
American people of Igbo descent
African-descent American
African American
Igbo-American history
Hidden categories:
Pages with citations using unsupported parameters
Pages using citations with accessdate and no URL
Pages with citations using unnamed parameters
All articles with dead external links
Articles with dead external links from October 2010
Wikipedia articles needing rewrite from September 2012
"Related ethnic groups" needing confirmation
Articles containing Igbo language text
Navigation menu

Personal tools

Create account
Namespaces

Article
Talk
Variants

Views

Read
Edit
View history
Actions

Search

Navigation

Main page
Contents
Featured content
Current events
Random article
Donate to Wikipedia
Interaction

Help
About Wikipedia
Community portal
Recent changes
Contact Wikipedia
Toolbox

What links here
Related changes
Upload file
Special pages
Permanent link
Page information
Cite this page
Print/export

Create a book
Download as PDF
Printable version
Languages

Igbo
Edit links
This page was last modified on 14 April 2013 at 13:12.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.
Contact us
Privacy policy
About Wikipedia
Disclaimers
Mobile view

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 4:07pm On Apr 15, 2013
vivalableue: OK as a Jamaican ....

If u dont mind my asking, where in JA is your family from?
And can you speak/write in patois?
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 15, 2013
ezeagu: Personally, I see more similarity between Jamaicans and Ghanians/Congolese. The guys that remind me of Igbo culture are usually in the smaller English-speaking Caribbean islands like Barbados, and some African Americans.

Culturally speaking we are more central african in influence but when it comes to our dialect west africa has a greater influence. We are a unique and beautiful blend of ppl. smiley

Proabably the one good thing about slavery is the creation of island cultures and ppl.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by TerraCotta(m): 8:59pm On Apr 15, 2013
vivalableue: OK as a Jamaican I have to say that I have a distinct connection with my Yoruba friends more than anything. My step-father is Trini, so I've been immersed in that culture as well since I was 6 years old. And once again the Yoruba culture holds the most in common in my personal opinion. I may not be right, but its my opinion. I find that patois, and pidgin very similar. The way we raise our kids, family structure and even affinity for anything yam to be some of the many similarities. As for our annual carnivals, and some animism I would need to do more research on that one.

I'm also half Indian and find that there are also similarities (although less so) to our family structures in the way we greet our parents, and call our elders and so on. My bf was a little surprised when I touched my naniji's feet to greet her and serve my paternal grandparents first etc. But then again, the concept of manners, real manners is a universal human trait.

That's an interesting perspective. This forum is packed with ignorant ethnocentrists who will spend their lives working to discredit your intuition and the viewpoints of many others who feel like you, but they'll continue to fail in frustration with contributions like yours.

For readers who are genuinely interested in the issue of Yoruba cultural continuation in the African diaspora, there are a number of insightful studies on this issue by genuine scholars. It's clear to most unbiased observers that Yoruba culture receives a disproportionate amount of attention. There are lots of reasons for this and some of them have been suggested already. I'll focus on two impressive recent studies on Yoruba history and ethnography in Brazil: [[url="http://www.ethnomusic.ucla.edu/pre/Vol14/Vol14html/V14Iyanaga.html"]Black Atlantic Religion[/url] by Professor J. Lorand Matory and [url="http://books.google.com/books?id=ohXKZdrZlEMC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=joao+reis+slave+rebellion+in+brazil&source=bl&ots=NZM8yItbob&sig=gHf4hheaRm8qo7L-jCu3XeSK5Ig&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BFJsUbraFenV0QGq2IHQCA&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=joao%20reis%20slave%20rebellion%20in%20brazil&f=false"]Slave Rebellion in Brazil[/url], about the 1835 Bahian Yoruba Muslim rebellion, which was the largest rebellion against slavery in Brazilian history as mentioned by Shymexx above.

"Black Atlantic Religion" is particularly relevant to this discussion since Dr. Matory offers his theory for the prominence of Yoruba religion and culture in Brazil (and Cuba, to a lesser extent). It's not simply because of their comparatively late arrival, although that was a factor. As Matory mentioned in his book, other scholars have noteiced the opposite effect--a disproportionately high level of influence on diasporan cultures by earlier arrivals as "founding cultures" (he cites anthropologists Sidney Mintz and Richard Price on this point), so I don't think that's a good enough explanation.

Matory argues that a Yoruba cultural renaissance was created in the 19th century by the interaction between self-liberated or emancipated Yorubas from the diaspora and a growing class of educated Yorubas in Lagos. Having returned to West Africa from countries in which their culture and religious practices were denigrated, the diasporan Yoruba wanted to create a prestige around their heritage that emphasized their cultural uniqueness. The indigenous Lagosians were similarly inspired by anti-colonial stances and wanted to present themselves as cultural equals to the British. Both parties gained considerable wealth by being multilingual language teachers and interpreters, skilled (particularly in architecture and construction), and by running cross-Atlantic businesses in goods like palm oil, kola nuts, cloth and other products of West Africa.

While they were a relatively small group, their tenacity, literacy and sense of cultural pride left a long-standing impression in Brazil, Cuba, Sierra Leone and of course Lagos through this "Lagosian Renaissance". They laid the foundation for the independence movements of the 20th century as well. Here's an excerpt from Matory's writing:

Since the nineteenth century, one such Afro-Latin nation has risen above all the rest—preeminent in size, wealth, grandeur, and international prestige. It is studied, written about, and imitated far more than any other, not only by believers but by anthropologists, art historians, novelists, and literary critics. The origin and homeland of this trans-Atlantic nation is usually identified as Yorùbáland, which is now divided between southwestern Nigeria and the People’s Republic of Benin on the Gulf of Benin.
Though the equivalence among, for example, the Cuban Lucumí, the Brazilian Nago, the Haitian Nagô, the French West African Nagot, and the British West African Yorùbá was not fully evident in their names, late-nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century ethnographers clearly assumed that unity in a way that I will argue was consistent with
the interests of a powerful class of black “ethnicity entrepreneurs” (see, for example, Ortiz 1973[1906]:28; 32– 33; Rodrigues 1945[1905]:175, 1935[1896]:24; Ellis 1970[1890]:29 – 30)

This excellent article "The English Professors of Brazil", summarizes the history of these Yoruba entrepreneurial academics and clerics and is available in full here:
http://www.fflch.usp.br/sociologia/asag/The%20English%20Professors%20of%20Brazil.pdf

The Male rebellion was also instrumental, since Brazil deported hundreds (possibly thousands) of Yoruba and other West African Muslims (mainly Hausa and Nupe) following the incident, rather than risk a repeat. These returnees were also active in promoting intra-African and cross-Atlantic cultural links. Some of them ended up in Ghana, where their descendants are still known as "Taboms" (after the Portuguese greeting, "esta bon"wink: http://www.modernghana.com/news/332640/1/a-slice-of-brazil-in-accra.html

I hope this is helpful, although I'm sure some pathological contributors here will argue on.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by NSNA: 7:14pm On Jun 15, 2013
Can we get this on the homepage
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by obanla8: 1:32pm On Nov 24, 2013
As a person involved in the Yoruban religion who lives in the Americas one of the major factors I see in its ability to survive is its ability to be flexible and retain its complexity. Its an anthropomorphic religion so it could hide amongst the Catholic religious icons without being noticed! We must say that the religion while being nature based is highly sophisticated and is not locked into nature the way some native peoples are. In the United States the native peoples religion was the land, when Europeans took the land they literally took the church of the people! The Yorubas in Cuba and Brazil moved the sacred groves inside! Thus it allowed the religion to survive. This is my point of view as a American of African decent.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by macof(m): 2:13am On Dec 01, 2013
tonychristopher: hope the other aspect of yoruba culture was retain like dirtyness,back bitting, fetishness, infedelity and cowardice.... i hope the so call accross pacific ocean retain this.DOES THIS CHANGE THE PRICE OF CRUDE OIL IN THE MARKET PLACE...B.U.LL.SH.I.T.T

This is why people keep having problems in their lives and they ask questions and run around for solutions

You should respect urself and act like an educated fellow

10 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by macof(m): 2:54am On Dec 01, 2013
obanla8: As a person involved in the Yoruban religion who lives in the Americas one of the major factors I see in its ability to survive is its ability to be flexible and retain its complexity. Its an anthropomorphic religion so it could hide amongst the Catholic religious icons without being noticed! We must say that the religion while being nature based is highly sophisticated and is not locked into nature the way some native peoples are. In the United States the native peoples religion was the land, when Europeans took the land they literally took the church of the people! The Yorubas in Cuba and Brazil moved the sacred groves inside! Thus it allowed the religion to survive. This is my point of view as a American of African decent.

We native practitioners see it has part of our culture, traditions and language.

Yoruba spirituality(not religion) as practiced in Yorubaland is simply nature based, the sacred honoring of the energies responsible for the forces around us.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by kwametut: 11:18am On Aug 16, 2014
@Handof Chukwu
Let me LECTURE U ABOUT AFRICAN HISTORY FLAT HEAD. SA UNIVERSITY AREN'T RANKED IN TOP 10 IN AFRICA FOR NOTHING. Europeans looked down on Igbo slaves especially males as they were lazy,suicidal and dumb grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Kongo Kingdom supplied the largest number of Slaves to
USA=Angola-Congo 35%-40%, West Africa 55%-60% mainly Senegambia
Cuba=40% Angola-Congo
Haiti=Angola-Congo 50%
Brazil=Angola-Congo 70%and Suriname=Angola-Congo 40%
and other small Carribean islands Bahamas,Caricao,St Kitts,St Thomas.

In these areas/countries mentioned above they imported more ANGOLA-CONGO SLAVES than any other African region.FACT.

NOTE: Europeans liked Angola-Congolese for STAMINA and hardowrk hence they were mainly used for GANG LABOUR. While for HOUSE NEGRO work Europeans liked Senegambians.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 16, 2014
kwametut: @Handof Chukwu
Let me LECTURE U ABOUT AFRICAN HISTORY FLAT HEAD. SA UNIVERSITY AREN'T RANKED IN TOP 10 IN AFRICA FOR NOTHING. Europeans looked down on Igbo slaves especially males as they were lazy,suicidal and dumb grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Kongo Kingdom supplied the largest number of Slaves to
USA=Angola-Congo 35%-40%, West Africa 55%-60% mainly Senegambia
Cuba=40% Angola-Congo
Haiti=Angola-Congo 50%
Brazil=Angola-Congo 70%and Suriname=Angola-Congo 40%
and other small Carribean islands Bahamas,Caricao,St Kitts,St Thomas.

In these areas/countries mentioned above they imported more ANGOLA-CONGO SLAVES than any other African region.FACT.

NOTE: Europeans liked Angola-Congolese for STAMINA and hardowrk hence they were mainly used for GANG LABOUR. While for HOUSE NEGRO work Europeans liked Senegambians.

chill out @ the bolded.

There is a site in america called the Igbo landing, where Igbo slaves took their lives rather than be slaves.

The "Igbo Landing is a historic site in Dunbar Creek of St. Simons Island, Glynn County, Georgia, United States. In 1803 it was the location of a mass suicide by Igbo slaves in resistance to slavery in the United States, and is of symbolic importance in African American folklore and literary history"

I doubt they did this because they were Lazy, or dumb.

and below you have this as a description of igbo slaves in wikipedia

"The Igbo were affected heavily by the Atlantic slave trade in the 18th century. Igbo slaves were known for being rebellious and having a high count of suicide in defiance of slavery"

I would hardly describe these people as dumb or lazy,
especially not when Olaudah Equiano, the prominent freed Igbo slave who wrote an autobiography, is known for his influence in enacting the british slave trade act of 1807, which abolished slave trade.
Put this together, and in general the Igbo slaves were part of those who fought slavery with all they could; their inteligence and their lives. Also, studies at the southern mississippi university suggest that about 60% of Black Americans have at least one Igbo ancestor. how's that for numbers?

5 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 16, 2014
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by elopee3000(m): 12:21am On Aug 17, 2014
[qusote author=mainman7] [b]Yes you are definitely right. Right from time, Yorubas valued the sanctity of life and were not rushing to sell their brethren for money unlike the igbos, until the colonial masters' violent raid could no more be withstood and they started taking slaves. igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. igbos rather flatter themselves and falsely use mouth to spoil others' image. igbo unity is FAKE! they kill themselves for money with ease. Unlike igbos, Yorubas know that LIFE is more than money. Cynthia, that beautiful girl was severally Molested and killed by 4 igbos for money. This year alone so many ritual killings in igbo land, 38 people were killed and dumped in a Ezu River in Anambra, 12 toddlers were killed in another...several unresolved killings for money in igbo land, what a people. igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. I don't know any other tribe that is as ungrateful as d igbos. d Thoughtful Yorubas accepts them like brothers yet they rant about us. They are cowards, hausas are slaughtering their brothers like rams in the North, they do nothing.igbos always think they r d wisest and that is why they are fools who think life is only about money.igbos r d Genesis of d problem of dis country,traitors who spared their greedy leaders in January 29,1966 Coup.The civil war would not have happened. Yorubas don't betray, read history, ur useless father azikwe started d betrayal thing when Awolowo helped him to d top and he didn't fulfill his part of their agreement.in d January 1966 igbo coup,Brgd Ademulegun, Col Fajuyi and other Great Youruba Millitary Men were killed, as usual d ever deceitful igbos, against the agreement, told their greedy leaders to skedaddle. igbos must apologize to d Yorubas now!d YORUBAS are already uniting and getting ready for u people.igbos or hausas, what u want is want u shall get from us,Peace or War![/b][/quote]small small u go enter libya with kolo mental

1 Like

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by kwametut: 12:15pm On Aug 17, 2014
THERE IS A VILLAGE CALLED "ANGOLA VILLAGE IN V.A. IN U.S.A". AND CONGO SQUARE IN LOUISIANA. While there are many places in US with BANTU PLACE NAMES. "REFUSE SLAVES". grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

MOBJECTIVE:

chill out @ the bolded.

There is a site in america called the Igbo landing, where Igbo slaves took their lives rather than be slaves.

The "Igbo Landing is a historic site in Dunbar Creek of St. Simons Island, Glynn County, Georgia, United States. In 1803 it was the location of a mass suicide by Igbo slaves in resistance to slavery in the United States, and is of symbolic importance in African American folklore and literary history"

I doubt they did this because they were Lazy, or dumb.

and below you have this as a description of igbo slaves in wikipedia

"The Igbo were affected heavily by the Atlantic slave trade in the 18th century. Igbo slaves were known for being rebellious and having a high count of suicide in defiance of slavery"

I would hardly describe these people as dumb or lazy,
especially not when Olaudah Equiano, the prominent freed Igbo slave who wrote an autobiography, is known for his influence in enacting the british slave trade act of 1807, which abolished slave trade.
Put this together, and in general the Igbo slaves were part of those who fought slavery with all they could; their inteligence and their lives. Also, studies at the southern mississippi university suggest that about 60% of Black Americans have at least one Igbo ancestor. how's that for numbers?

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by kwametut: 12:17pm On Aug 17, 2014
These are FACTS. 419 FLAT HEAD Naaigayrian liars can't change HISTORICAL FACTS.

We know about IGBO LANDING where useless/refuse slaves killed themselves. LAZY CUNTS. Hence they were not wanted in deep south of US.

AA's of US trace their roots to Bantus of Angola-Congo and Greater Senegambians (Senegal,Gambia,Mali,Sierra Leone,Guinea,Liberia), plus Ghanaians than "useless slaves igbos". Like in JAMAICA the Igbos declined overtime due to SUICIDAL TENDENCIES. Plus most Bight of Biafra slavesd weren't only Igbos there Mokpwe's,Efiks,Tikar,Doualas etc..who were sold thru Bight of Biafra. Out of 38% Bight of Biaffra slaves imported into VA 8% weren't Igbos, while most Igbos slaves imported into US, VA were females. Slavers disliked Igbo men.

I WILL POST MORE ORIGINAL ARTICLE ON "REFUSE SLAVES/Igbos".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Stillfire: 12:29pm On Aug 17, 2014
obanla8: As a person involved in the Yoruban religion who lives in the Americas one of the major factors I see in its ability to survive is its ability to be [b]flexible [/b]and retain its complexity. Its an anthropomorphic religion so it could hide amongst the Catholic religious icons without being noticed! We must say that the religion while being nature based is highly sophisticated and is not locked into nature the way some native peoples are. In the United States the native peoples religion was the land, when Europeans took the land they literally took the church of the people! The Yorubas in Cuba and Brazil moved the sacred groves inside! Thus it allowed the religion to survive. This is my point of view as a American of African decent.

An example that comes to my mind is marital rites. The Igbo adamantly believes the intending couple must go back to the village/home of the woman for the traditional marriage, whereas the Yoruba does marital rites wherever he finds himself. So you find out that the tradition would be contained for the Igbo and not exposed to foreigners as the Yorubas. It's just like the Isrealites after being captured by the Babylonians in Psalm 137 I think, mourning about not singing the Lord's song in a strange land.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 17, 2014
kwametut: THERE IS A VILLAGE CALLED "ANGOLA VILLAGE IN V.A. IN U.S.A". AND CONGO SQUARE IN LOUISIANA. While there are many places in US with BANTU PLACE NAMES. "REFUSE SLAVES". grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

yes, you're quite right if you're right, but how does this information back u your claim that slaves of Igbo origin were lazy and dumb? All it rightly points out is that they were not the only slaves who had some balls.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Stillfire: 12:44pm On Aug 17, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

yes, you're quite right if you're right, but how does this information back u your claim that slaves of Igbo origin were lazy and dumb? All it rightly points out is that they were not the only slaves who had some balls.

I feel embarrassed for him. Why should anyone be happy being slaves like him? That shows some docility to the massa. Ewww.
I would rather kill myself than be a slave.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by kwametut: 12:52pm On Aug 17, 2014
Louisiana the HOME OF JAZZ. DR FARRIS AND DR HOLLOWA say the BANTUS brought the SOUL OF AFRICA to Louisiana while SENEGAMBIANS brought BANJO....These tow groups shaped the US AFRO AMERICAN MUSIC CULTURE. FACT. grin

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by kwametut: 1:11pm On Aug 17, 2014
^^^^^^FACT. There were few Yorubas imported into US. Yes there is a Yoruba influence in Jamaica,Haiti,Cuba and Brazil.

Note:Bigger groups like BANTUS in BRAZIL,HAITI,CUBA "ADOPTED YORUBA CULTURES". Note: the Angola Congo were majority in BRAZIL, HAITI,CUBA and have a good presence in JAMAICA where they were 3rd largest African group after Bight of Biafra 31%, Gold Coast 29%, Angola-Congo 17%.

ITS DOCUMENTED THAT IGBO NFLUENCE AND BLOODLINE IN JAMAICA DECLINED DUE TO THE FACT THAT IGBOS WERE SUICIDAL EVERYWHERE THE NEW WORLD. By 1900s 40% of Afro Jamaicans had strong AKAN LINKS, while Igbos declined to 16%. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.