Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,328 members, 7,957,874 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:47 PM

Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others (73860 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Igbo Or Ibo? / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Sweetlemon(f): 7:59pm On Feb 09, 2015
Abagworo:

Igbo, Yoruba and other recently formed identities are very much alive in South America. Maybe the thread was started by someone who is not aware that the Calabari/Carabali is very much active in South America even more than other groups. Calabari comprises mostly of Igbo, Efik/Ibibio and Ijaw who were known as one ethnic group then with the subgroups used as a suffix to explain the specific origin.

A great diversity of peoples brought to the Americas from the Niger Delta and Cross River Basin were labeled by merchants as Carabalí, as Cuban historian Des- champs discovered: “The carabalí. The tribes brought to Cuba under this denomi- nation are innumerable . . . part of those [“carabalí’] who founded cabildos respond- ed to the following denominations: Abalo, Acocuá, Agro, Apapá, Bibí, Bogre, Bogre Isuama, Abate Singlava, Brícamo, Ecunaso, Ibo Induri, Isicuato, Isiegue, Isuama, Isuama Aballa Ocuite, Isuama Ibi, Isuama Isiegue, Isueche, Oquella, Ososo, OsosoEche, Ososo Omuma, Oxó, Ugri, Unigini, Aballa Otopa, Isuama Umofina, Isuama Osulerisna, Orú, Elugo, Orate, Bané, Yudusi.”13 Of this partial list of thirty-three ethnic denominations, only five survived into the twentieth century as components of the Abakuá society (Efí, Efó, Orú, Bibí, Suáma); today there are two main ethnic lineages: Efí and Efó, with Orú as an important third lineage.

Calabari? Efik/Ibibio?

Some posters in the culture sections are so so so annoying with their know all attitude, meanwhile they know nothing at all.
Just because Kalabari sounds like Calabar doesn't mean that it has anything to do with Calabar. Thank you very much.

6 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by adedayourt(m): 8:01pm On Feb 09, 2015
Mhizkel:

Tanx dearie

Uwc cutie

Hwz been ur day

1 Like

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Skoopy(m): 8:02pm On Feb 09, 2015
You will also find the ekoi tradition in Cuba, this is present day ejagham people spread across cross river state and southern Cameroon.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by seangy4konji: 8:09pm On Feb 09, 2015
i cant answer you because not much people can afford to watch a one hour plus film on youtube without selling their fathers land to buy GB so how do i contribute...

ask the people contributing whether they live in Nigeria or Abroad..if the person says Nigeria?ask if he watched the film cause i no know how person weh never buy 100 naira recharge card not to talk of buying 80GB data to watch film go deh contribute on wetin no concern am.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by SPINA101(m): 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2015
[quote author=KidStranglehold post=14886099]That's a very interesting question.[/quo] yes intrested indeed o
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by vislabraye(m): 8:15pm On Feb 09, 2015
tonychristopher:
hope the other aspect of yoruba culture was retain like dirtyness,back bitting, fetishness, infedelity and cowardice.... i hope the so call accross pacific ocean retain this.DOES THIS CHANGE THE PRICE OF CRUDE OIL IN THE MARKET PLACE...B.U.LL.SH.I.T.T

shocked. Get ready to be chewed alive.

What I know and most people say the same thing is that South Americans are also very fetish. In fact much more than Nigerians.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Mhizkel(f): 8:16pm On Feb 09, 2015
adedayourt:

Uwc cutie

Hwz been ur day
splendid..urz?
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by whitedove(m): 8:17pm On Feb 09, 2015
4chi:

See where envy and petty jealousy has driven you. You are no different from a rabid infested dog. Was it the fault of the yorubas that your fathers were primitive,naked wild living mongrels? Food gatherers and cave men? You wish you were Yoruba but since your chi has decided otherwise, learn to live with it.

Forget all the crap being spewed above,the Yoruba culture survived in the diaspora because IT IS THE MOST RESILIENT CULTURE FROM AFRICA AND IT'S SPIRITUALITY IS WORLD ACCLAIMED UP TILL TODAY. Yorubas don't owe anybody any apology for that after all, aji se bi oyo la nri, oyo o se bi baba enikankan .

Ask yourself which other African group has anything as deep as the ifa corpus coupled with impressive pantheon of gods which aremore than that of the Greek mythology. Yorubas have always been the initiator and not the immitators in matters of culture or why do you think the rest of Nigeria now tie gele, wear aso ebi and aso oke, adire, etc, etc other cultures will continue to imitate but you will never see a Yoruba man tie wrapper. Eewo Orishas!!
this guy is so deep!,I like you
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by rileyy(m): 8:18pm On Feb 09, 2015
mainman7:
[b]Yes you are definitely right. Right from time, Yorubas valued the sanctity of life and were not rushing to sell their brethren for money unlike the igbos, until the colonial masters' violent raid could no more be withstood and they started taking slaves. igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. igbos rather flatter themselves and falsely use mouth to spoil others' image. igbo unity is FAKE! they kill themselves for money with ease. Unlike igbos, Yorubas know that LIFE is more than money. Cynthia, that beautiful girl was severally Molested and killed by 4 igbos for money. This year alone so many ritual killings in igbo land, 38 people were killed and dumped in a Ezu River in Anambra, 12 toddlers were killed in another...several unresolved killings for money in igbo land, what a people. igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. I don't know any other tribe that is as ungrateful as d igbos. d Thoughtful Yorubas accepts them like brothers yet they rant about us. They are cowards, hausas are slaughtering their brothers like rams in the North, they do nothing.igbos always think they r d wisest and that is why they are fools who think life is only about money.igbos r d Genesis of d problem of dis country,traitors who spared their greedy leaders in January 29,1966 Coup.The civil war would not have happened. Yorubas don't betray, read history, ur useless father azikwe started d betrayal thing when Awolowo helped him to d top and he didn't fulfill his part of their agreement.in d January 1966 igbo coup,Brgd Ademulegun, Col Fajuyi and other Great Youruba Millitary Men were killed, as usual d ever deceitful igbos, against the agreement, told their greedy leaders to skedaddle. igbos must apologize to d Yorubas now!d YORUBAS are already uniting and getting ready for u people.igbos or hausas, what u want is want u shall get from us,Peace or War![/b]

I like this guy! Igbos scum, my experience with em as a copper I'd never forget in my life. +igbos aren't peace loving people they believe they r superior to all other tribes in nigeria, always ready and eager to start controversy. Their ego is so unbearable

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by vislabraye(m): 8:20pm On Feb 09, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Calabari? Efik/Ibibio?

Some posters in the culture sections are so so so annoying with their know all attitude, meanwhile they know nothing at all.
Just because Calabari sounds like Calabar doesn't mean that it has anything to do with Calabar. Thank you very much.

He probably has his source
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Adiwana: 8:20pm On Feb 09, 2015
GodMode:

No tribe contributed anything to the Yorubas... All other tribes had to rush down to Yoruba region to be successful..

The Yorubas contribute a lot to the rest of Nigeria. Some tribes wouldn't be where they are today if the Yorubas weren't a tolerating tribe.

A lot of families from other tribes are successful today because the Yorubas gave them the enabling environment to succeed.
it then means you no grow for yoruba land.i know you're saying this cos of Lagos but remember most of the reason was cos of The Early settlements of missionaries.in igbo land,you have Onitsha,in SS,you've got Benin&calabar.remeber that trades plays a major Role in Terms of culture Dyanmism,so dont gimme all that tribal superiority..
I personally believe that where those Early missionaries were Accepted was/is still a blessed place in Nigeria up till today
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Coldfeet(f): 8:29pm On Feb 09, 2015
rileyy:

This is pure sentiment, talking abt "juju" ? Igbos are top ranked
Thats a lie! for instance lets take a look at both tribe movie industry which is more laced with juju? at every ori meta in yoruba land you'd find a sacrifice! in igbo land its hardly seen and whenever such is found the a town crier will go about town asking whoever placed it there to go take it away. Come to igbo land and be better schooled.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by femliany(m): 8:34pm On Feb 09, 2015
which tribe no dey use juju? Okija na baptist church?
FXKing2012:
Because Yorubas used "juju"...

7 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by splashbaby(m): 8:35pm On Feb 09, 2015
pazienza:

Nonsense! Yorubas never led any struggle in the new world,than the igbos. The igbos had established the ibo republic of palmeras in brazil,which one did yorubas establish?

Like someone already said,yoruba culture appears dominant in latin america,cos they were the later group to arrive there,by which time the europeans had slowed down on their earlier anti-african religion and culture stance,which the earlier ethnic groups were subjected under,leading to loss of their culture.
IBO republic of palmeras ko, IBO republic of footeras ni. Look at the way you infused lies into this post like it was real. Some mofos will start thinking there was one Ibo Republic like that in Brazil. I don't know why you guys kept telling yourselves lies and believing in them.. I don't understand why you guys kept lying about nothing.

The truth is that Yorubas have a well knitted close circle family values that outlive generations. Consciously or unconsciously they manage to outlive their oppressors. It is what has worked for them for centuries.

Igbos as a group have their own values as well.. But there is no basis of comparison or need to measure superiority... No need for all these nonsense

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by GodMode: 8:40pm On Feb 09, 2015
Adiwana:

it then means you no grow for yoruba land.i know you're saying this cos of Lagos but remember most of the reason was cos of The Early settlements of missionaries.in igbo land,you have Onitsha,in SS,you've got Benin&calabar.remeber that trades plays a major Role in Terms of culture Dyanmism,so dont gimme all that tribal superiority..
I personally believe that where those Early missionaries were Accepted was/is still a blessed place in Nigeria up till today

You're been tribalist... Where in that comment did u see or read anything about missionaries

That comment is based on what happening currently... Yoruba region has made more people financially independent than any other region.

Lagos was nothing then:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Colony

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by GodMode: 8:49pm On Feb 09, 2015
Coldfeet:
Thats a lie! for instance lets take a look at both tribe movie industry which is more laced with juju? at every ori meta in yoruba land you'd find a sacrifice! in igbo land its hardly seen and whenever such is found the a town crier will go about town asking whoever placed it there to go take it away. Come to igbo land and be better schooled.

Stop basing your conclusions on nollywood or yorubawood.

In reality, as reported in newspapers the igbos are mostly the ones that own the ritualist/kidnappers den in the SW.

Read newspapers and stop watching fiction.

Besides that's the yoruba way of "action movies". Those movies need better directors and graphics.

So "clash of the titans", "lord of the rings" "harry potter", "piercy jackson", the walking dead, spiderman, superman, guardians of the galaxy no get juju for their movie

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by jzdoberman: 8:53pm On Feb 09, 2015
FXKing2012:

OUT OF POINT!!! Try something else.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
mainman7:
[b]Yes you are definitely right. Right from time, Yorubas valued the sanctity of life and were not rushing to sell their brethren for money unlike the igbos, until the colonial masters' violent raid could no more be withstood and they started taking slaves. igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. igbos rather flatter themselves and falsely use mouth to spoil others' image. igbo unity is FAKE! they kill themselves for money with ease. Unlike igbos, Yorubas know that LIFE is more than money. Cynthia, that beautiful girl was severally Molested and killed by 4 igbos for money. This year alone so many ritual killings in igbo land, 38 people were killed and dumped in a Ezu River in Anambra, 12 toddlers were killed in another...several unresolved killings for money in igbo land, what a people. igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. I don't know any other tribe that is as ungrateful as d igbos. d Thoughtful Yorubas accepts them like brothers yet they rant about us. They are cowards, hausas are slaughtering their brothers like rams in the North, they do nothing.igbos always think they r d wisest and that is why they are fools who think life is only about money.igbos r d Genesis of d problem of dis country,traitors who spared their greedy leaders in January 29,1966 Coup.The civil war would not have happened. Yorubas don't betray, read history, ur useless father azikwe started d betrayal thing when Awolowo helped him to d top and he didn't fulfill his part of their agreement.in d January 1966 igbo coup,Brgd Ademulegun, Col Fajuyi and other Great Youruba Millitary Men were killed, as usual d ever deceitful igbos, against the agreement, told their greedy leaders to skedaddle. igbos must apologize to d Yorubas now!d YORUBAS are already uniting and getting ready for u people.igbos or hausas, what u want is want u shall get from us,Peace or War![/b]
what are you bitter and frustrated about? If you are so bitter,get an IED (bomb)and blow yourself up. Olori buruku omo ale!

1 Like

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by rileyy(m): 8:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
Coldfeet:

Well said, lemme take you back to reality. Where's d most notorius shrine found in nigeria, Ritualist,canibalism n d likes uhnn ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by LajaLaba: 8:57pm On Feb 09, 2015
njays24:
what are you bitter and frustrated about? If you are so bitter,get an IED (bomb)and blow yourself up. Olori buruku omoale!
Faraburuku bale jare!was the guy lying?
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 09, 2015
4chi:

See where envy and petty jealousy has driven you. You are no different from a rabid infested dog. Was it the fault of the yorubas that your fathers were primitive,naked wild living mongrels? Food gatherers and cave men? You wish you were Yoruba but since your chi has decided otherwise, learn to live with it.

Forget all the crap being spewed above,the Yoruba culture survived in the diaspora because IT IS THE MOST RESILIENT CULTURE FROM AFRICA AND IT'S SPIRITUALITY IS WORLD ACCLAIMED UP TILL TODAY. Yorubas don't owe anybody any apology for that after all, aji se bi oyo la nri, oyo o se bi baba enikankan .

Ask yourself which other African group has anything as deep as the ifa corpus coupled with impressive pantheon of gods which aremore than that of the Greek mythology. Yorubas have always been the initiator and not the immitators in matters of culture or why do you think the rest of Nigeria now tie gele, wear aso ebi and aso oke, adire, etc, etc other cultures will continue to imitate but you will never see a Yoruba man tie wrapper. Eewo Orishas!!

Lolz. Boss u serious. I get a lot of Yoruba weh dey tie rapper o..... Dem even value rapper well well pass dia aso ebi tinz.. Lolz.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by LajaLaba: 8:58pm On Feb 09, 2015
njays24:
what are you bitter and frustrated about? If you are so bitter,get an IED (bomb)and blow yourself up. Olori buruku omoale!
Faraburuku bale jare!Is the guy lying?
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Adiwana: 9:01pm On Feb 09, 2015
GodMode:

You're been tribalist... Where in that comment did u see or read anything about missionaries

That comment is based on what happening currently... Yoruba region has made more people financially independent than any other region.

Lagos was nothing then:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Colony
maybe you misunderstood me.not talking solely about missionaries,just trying to tell you about settlements&how it helped in exposing so many cultures.and why will i be a tribalist when i have yoruba friends.anyway,no tribe is superior to another
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by splashbaby(m): 9:09pm On Feb 09, 2015
Coldfeet:
Thats a lie! for instance lets take a look at both tribe movie industry which is more laced with juju? at every ori meta in yoruba land you'd find a sacrifice! in igbo land its hardly seen and whenever such is found the a town crier will go about town asking whoever placed it there to go take it 8away. Come to igbo land and be better schooled.
Yoruba movie industry continues to grow promoting their culture while the once vibrant Igbo film industry is dead and buried. The reason for this is not farfetched, they don't really have the knack for strong ethnic life style, they thrive adopting other culture, this itself is plus, because they integrate better into other culture ...same thing happened in the diaspora where Yoruba continues to grow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by delpee(f): 9:13pm On Feb 09, 2015
Those who are interested in seeking more knowledge should google "lukumi". Yorubas were also known as olukumi which in some dialects translates to " my friend". There are some villages in Delta/Aniocha (was told and read about it) where the people called olukumi/olukwumi still speak the ancient Yoruba language. Some people believe they moved there during the Yoruba wars. Some say Ugbodu is coined from Igbo Odua. Lol!

Related and well researched topics have been discussed on NL in the days of maturity and before the advent of tribal warriors. One learnt so much as a guest long before I registered. Sadly a lot has been lost to the NL crash.Those who are not interested in tribal superiority battles but want to learn genuinely should do a little research on google. So much to learn about slavery,slave riots, the effects and how deeply interwoven some tribes are. The Igala language for instance has some Yoruba and Igbo words.

So much to learn about our history and environment to enrich our lives. This reduces ignorance and promotes peace and mutual respect.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by LajaLaba: 9:17pm On Feb 09, 2015
felixilin:

Lolz. Boss u serious. I get a lot of Yoruba weh dey tie rapper o..... Dem even value rapper well well pass dia aso ebi tinz.. Lolz.
I dont u are okay
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Sweetlemon(f): 9:37pm On Feb 09, 2015
vislabraye:

He probably has his source

What source? What source will suddenly pronounce me a Kalabari girl?
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by zimoni(f): 9:42pm On Feb 09, 2015
The thread was interesting until that Muntullar said Yoruba use juju then big-head tony spoilt it all.

The Yoruba and Igbo tribalists have successfully derailed the educative thread.

Unna weldone.

Nansense.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by macof(m): 9:43pm On Feb 09, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Calabari? Efik/Ibibio?

Just because Calabari sounds like Calabar doesn't mean that it has anything to do with Calabar. Thank you very much.

Lol very true.
Kalabari is different from Calabar...although the Kalabari people first inhabited calabar. I think they were later driven to their present location by the Efiks

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by ooshinibos: 9:46pm On Feb 09, 2015
FXKing2012:

and ogboju and shakara ...and smart off course

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.