Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,265 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style (18627 Views)

Viviangist Is Now Nairaland New Crush Bloggers Complains / The New Layout Of GtBank's Internet Banking Portal / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using Table For Layout (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by OreMeta: 11:57am On Mar 23, 2013
Billyonaire: The Modes should create a paid VIP section.

Justify a paid VIP section ? For me, Nairaland is a fun place to be, for a community to comment on. If you start charging, then you will start ostracising those who are less fortunate than yourself.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by question(m): 11:58am On Mar 23, 2013
Here we go again.. OGA AT THE TOP has decided to change NL background and layout.
Change is the only constant thing.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Afam4eva(m): 11:58am On Mar 23, 2013
kramer:

I would say naijaryders was one of them... When I joined ages ago I just felt out of place, it was as if everyone already knew themselves and I was just famzin
[size=13pt]
It was also like that with Nairaland at some point but because the membership has quadrupled, new members don't readlly find it difficult. But there was never a paid section on naijaryders, was there?[/size]
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by mysticgal(f): 11:58am On Mar 23, 2013
cant notice any change,maybe because am using mobile.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by denzel2009: 12:01pm On Mar 23, 2013
Tacky like the walls in Ashy joints.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by spywareczar(m): 12:01pm On Mar 23, 2013
kina cool grin
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by dont8(m): 12:01pm On Mar 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=13pt]I think i suggested this a while back. Other forums have something similar.[/size]
Creating class difference? Its irrelevant.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by toluxa1(m): 12:02pm On Mar 23, 2013
onegig:

Also Seun. Maybe on weekends you can sell the background image space for some more money. There's nothing stopping you from monetizing the site to its fullest.

Bad idea, trust me. I don't wanna name some really nasty looking forums (abi na Fora) as a result of too much visible advert. Nairaland is too organised for that. Maybe linda ikeji's blog sha.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by kramer: 12:05pm On Mar 23, 2013
Afam4eva: [size=13pt]
It was also like that with Nairaland at some point but because the membership has quadrupled, new members don't readlly find it difficult. But there was never a paid section on naijaryders, was there?[/size]

Nope there wasn't... They had a chat app
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by a1solution: 12:07pm On Mar 23, 2013
kennytidistar:

nigerians can lie, since you are mobile and you cant reallly say anything for now, how do you manage to say this?
Now on PC and noticed the changes background color. I believe more changes are coming soon since they are now recruiting developers.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by dj5naira(m): 12:07pm On Mar 23, 2013
We are waiting for it.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Dolemite(f): 12:08pm On Mar 23, 2013
It's utter rubbish...
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Nobody: 12:18pm On Mar 23, 2013
Seun: @onegig: We could have limited the content width earlier, but it didn't look right when we tried it with the former white background. The huge white margins on the left and right were just too distracting. The new background seems to have solved that problem.

@wazobia_for_u: It won't. Making Nairaland load fast on all devices and on all networks is one of our top priorities.
The new background is cool but its very slow in loading and i have a problem scrolling down faster unlike before i'm using a Nokia Asha phone.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by RedLight1: 12:18pm On Mar 23, 2013
@seun

i think u should also add sumting like (flash like).. I dnt knw how to put that.... I mean when u like a post, the page will have to reload b4 the like is visible.. which gulp more bandwiths especially on pages with pictures

U know when u click "like" on facebook its visible instantly and the page wnt have to reload thereby saving peoples bandwith...

Keep up the good work bro

12 Likes

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 23, 2013
can we have a quote notification please seun ?

8 Likes

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Afam4eva(m): 12:21pm On Mar 23, 2013
Red-Light:
@seun

i think u should also add sumting like (flash like).. I dnt knw how to put that.... I mean when u like a post, the page will have to reload b4 the like is visible.. which gulp more bandwiths especially on pages pictures

U know when u click "like" on facebook its visible instantly and the page wnt have to reload thereby saving peoples bandwith...

Keep up the good work bro
[size=14pt]It's made possible by a AJAX(Asynchronous Javascript and XML). The only problem is that it won't work on systems that don't have javascript enabled.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by otokx(m): 12:22pm On Mar 23, 2013
looks same old to me
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by vokalguy(m): 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2013
AVWENAGHA: 1st

get a life....
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by agabaI23(m): 12:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
I love the new layout. Just opened now to notice the moulding look.

Good job Seun
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Nobody: 12:34pm On Mar 23, 2013
adaobi123: can we have a quote notification please seun ?
Exactly i love this suggestion i had it in mind before now cos sometimes i unfollow a topic especially when it gets to the front page i hate to see something like "followed topics 200" on my page i dont have time to view everything.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by yawatide(f): 12:37pm On Mar 23, 2013
I used to hate the old layout - it was very hard on my eyes. As a result, I would just scan a few posts for viewing/responding to. This one is way better on my eyes and for the first time since the last "redesign (at least 1 year)", I have gone through every single new post that in my interested (webmaster) section.

Kudos to whoever came up with this decision!
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by RedLight1: 12:39pm On Mar 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]It's made possible by a AJAX(Asynchronous Javascript and XML). The only problem is that it won't work on systems that don't have javascript enabled.[/size]
thanks 4 dat...

but most new browsers support javascript... I dnt even think there is any browser that doesnt support it.....So i dnt think few people or tiny groups using internet explorer 1 should discourage majority from having sumtin like that .... BTW what do u think of that idea?
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Afam4eva(m): 12:42pm On Mar 23, 2013
Red-Light:
thanks 4 dat...

but most new browsers support javascript... I dnt even think there is any browser that doesnt support it.....So i dnt think few people or tiny groups using internet explorer 1 should discourage majority from having sumtin like that .... BTW what do u think of that idea?

It's a great idea as it will not eat up unnecessary bandwidth both for Nairaland for those that are using limited bandwidth space. But like i said, javascript is not enabled in a lot of systems. It's not that it's not there but it's not enabled and some people are clueless on how to enable it. I think Seun is just trying as much as possible to make Nairaland easy to use for everyone no matter how small the demography is.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by dont8(m): 12:47pm On Mar 23, 2013
adaobi123: can we have a quote notification please seun ?
Simply type your user-name in the local search engine, you'll see the people that quote you, cheers.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by thelastPope(m): 12:48pm On Mar 23, 2013
onegig:
Anyways i like the new slic design and just wish many more better things to follow. Like a chat app and other things that makes it a full community.

We can even have groups or stuff in here.

Lets go on and challenge other social networks. Nothing stops Nairaland from being better than fb and reddit.

What do you think guys.?

The reason NL is thriving is because it is a forum. NL is riding on a techonology gap in Nigeria and filling that gap. If it becomes like Facebook, it will die naturally and be swallowed up.

There are several reasons why websites succeed. NL is succeeding because of a demography niche. Technologically, you cannot compete with FB, etc. The only way to compete with those players is to bring something completely new to the table, not replicate what has already been done and overflogged. Even Google+ is struggling to cope with FB and twitter. Christ Embassy tried it with their Yookos site and it didn't work because they definitely don't have a proper grasp of how the web works.

Seun, stay with your niche and grow it. If it aint broke, don't fix it. If you must do anything, then branch out. I can offer you ideas. Don't complicate NL. Don't go the way of yahoo and microsoft who have become massive failures on the web.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Seun(m): 12:49pm On Mar 23, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
Kudos to whoever came up with this decision!
Thanks!!! cheesy
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by RedLight1: 12:52pm On Mar 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's a great idea as it will not eat up unnecessary bandwidth both for Nairaland for those that are using limited bandwidth space. But like i said, javascript is not enabled in a lot of systems. It's not that it's not there but it's not enabled and some people are clueless on how to enable it. I think Seun is just trying as much as possible to make Nairaland easy to use for everyone no matter how small the demography is.
buh i thought javascript has been auto enabled on every system and browsers these days? Do we still have system/apps or browsers that disable such For people to look 4 ways to enable it? shocked
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by testify1: 12:52pm On Mar 23, 2013
Believe they are doing some exploring.lets see wat graphics they wud come up with
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 23, 2013
dont8:
Simply type your user-name in the local search engine, you'll see the people that quote you, cheers.
but it is easier to have a quote notification
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by bumdish: 12:54pm On Mar 23, 2013
onegig:
Yeah.. Good observation.

The old style was kinda too wide in terms of the content area... If you used a system with a wider screen you would have to be staring at long lines of text but this makes it much more readable.

Also Seun. Maybe on weekends you can sell the background image space for some more money. There's nothing stopping you from monetizing the site to its fullest.
Please don't monetize any background. That is one of Yahoo's biggest mistake. Yahoo lost sight of what their visitors wanted to what the corporations wanted. Now they are paying for it.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by thelastPope(m): 1:02pm On Mar 23, 2013
Afam4eva:

You can actually implement it to work if Javascript is enabled and use a different code when javascript is not. Just a few lines of code can fix that. But the real challenge is I think NL will have to be redesigned. I don't think the current design which is like a port of SMF will work well with AJAX.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by ogochukwunasa1: 1:02pm On Mar 23, 2013
Seun: Thanks!!! cheesy
mschwww, must u quote d whole post just to say thanks.....
If u try dat nxt tym, i wil ban u.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

. / Facebook To Begin Charging For Messages / How Naijaloaded Elevated From Bedroom To A Global Brand – Makinde Azeez Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.