Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos (1217 Views)

Breaking News: Suspected Boko Haram Kidnapped Over 60 Children In Cameroon / 15-year-old Girl Kidnapped In Gwarimpa, Abuja / Governor Yuguda's In-Law Kidnapped In Bauchi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by backtosender: 11:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
AN expatriate has been kidnapped in Lagos, the US consulate said yesterday, but no further details were immediately available.

A US consulate spokeswoman did not reveal the nationality of the victim.

Such incidents are rare in Lagos, though kidnappings for ransom occur regularly in the southern oil-producing Niger Delta region and Islamist extremists have carried out abductions in the north.

“The US Consulate General in Lagos received a report that an expatriate was kidnapped on Victoria Island on Saturday, March 23 at approximately 11 pm,” the consulate said in a message to US citizens, referring to an upscale area of Lagos.

“Nigerian law enforcement confirmed this incident.”

Police in Lagos, the economic capital of the nation’s could not be reached for comment.

Victims of kidnappings in the Niger Delta and other areas of the south are usually released unharmed after payment of ransoms.

Abductions in Nigeria’s north have however had deadly results.

Islamist extremist group, Ansaru, recently claimed to have executed seven foreign hostages.

In addition, a British national and an Italian were killed during a botched 2012 rescue operation, as was a German the same year.

Nigerian Islamist extremist group Boko Haram is believed to currently be holding seven members of a French family abducted over the border in Cameroon.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/expatriate-kidnapped-in-lagos/
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by Desola(f): 11:14pm On Mar 24, 2013
It is finished!

1 Like

Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by kramer: 11:15pm On Mar 24, 2013
Business as usual
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by Desola(f): 11:19pm On Mar 24, 2013
kramer: Business as usual

I think this is quite different given its location. If all the atrocities perpetrated in other parts of Nigeria starts getting a recording in Lagos, then it is a sure signal that Nigeria has fallen and absolutely nowhere is now safe.

How at this time, I wish we weren't practising democracy, where the dumb ones imposes the mist incompetent on the intelligent few. Clearly, democracy is overrated.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by otokx(m): 11:26pm On Mar 24, 2013
It is one of those things.
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 24, 2013
God dey, nothing will happen to him
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by kramer: 11:59pm On Mar 24, 2013
Desola:

I think this is quite different given its location. If all the atrocities perpetrated in other parts of Nigeria starts getting a recording in Lagos, then it is a sure signal that Nigeria has fallen and absolutely nowhere is now safe.

How at this time, I wish we weren't practising democracy, where the dumb ones imposes the mist incompetent on the intelligent few. Clearly, democracy is overrated.

Hmm.. i was under the impression that kidnappings do happen in Lagos.. the difference here being that an expatriate is now invovled (az in levels don change be dat Oo cool)

Regarding democracy, i believe it can still work for us but what we need is a "house-cleaning exercise" Jerry Rawlings style wink
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by azpekuliar: 12:20am On Mar 25, 2013
Desola: It is finished!

Indeed it is! The old man was right afterall, there was once a country...
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by PapaBrowne(m): 12:33am On Mar 25, 2013
There is a sudden ramp up of intense violence in the country.
These things are not coincidental. They are orchestrated by people who seek to frustrate our future for their own political gain.

While I think the government is doing poorly with regards to security, I think we the citizens are not helping matters at all when we detach certain responsibilities from ourselves. We think its governments responsibility to protect us. Well maybe, but not exactly. We have a responsibility as well.

Cursing the government is foolishness. Demanding that the government functions is wisdom!!
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by redsun(m): 1:43am On Mar 25, 2013
There is no way a country under attack from the inside can be saved without a solidified security network,standard database,trusted intelligence network,proliferation of cctv and absolute dedication on the good side. No way.
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by ifyalways(f): 2:37am On Mar 25, 2013
Expats are kidnapped quite often in Lagos,though it does not get much publicity.The expats pay up and are released unhurt.
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by Cuckoo48: 2:48am On Mar 25, 2013
The sh.t has hit the fan. NOW they are gonna get it. This has been going on in lagos for over one year now. But they have been kidnapping Iboes, indians and lebaneses and quietly for small small ransom. I know the day they begin to carry Yoruba and Europeans, the game go up for them. If they are smart they go begin wind down the Lagos branch now now.
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by nduchucks: 2:52am On Mar 25, 2013
Mr. President, the buck stops with you sir.
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by Tolexander: 4:49am On Mar 25, 2013
Though i have heard of many cases of kidnap in lagos state. But foreigners are not involved. Seems the situation is metamorphosing to the real one now.
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by Nobody: 5:41am On Mar 25, 2013
One nigeria, one crime, one nation! Who goes u? Hehehe
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by musiwa22: 6:21am On Mar 25, 2013
knowing nigeria, the northerners did the kidnap because they would be scared that the embassy would move from abuja after the several attack, so to make other countries scared of moving their embassy to lagos.. they most have plan the kidnap.

You want to block road going to the north.. They would likely want to move the person to the north because they will not be safe in lagos..

With the number of bombing going on.. the list the northerners gave cant be correct because if you look at the video.. the names on the buses shows that most have been our people going to the lagos.. and not northerners.. so is more of a cover up to give out names of northerners.

They move the capital to the north.. So there is an issue on abuja or lagos for embassy... So because their is bombing, the northerners they feel embassy will move from abuja back to lagos.. that why I believe the northerners plan and executed the kidnapping.. to scare embassies which are located in abuja at the moment from thinking about moving back to lagos..

you want to be looking for northerners who carried out the kidnapping . Lagos state govt should offer them money as quick as possible that way they keep the victim alive. they may kill the victim. so if you offer them money, they will keep the victim alive. this money can be track later if they release the victim..

It is going to be hard to track who did.. But they can send signal to the cell phones of the victim and when last they use the phone and where.. That way, you zoom in to the location..
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by Ikology(m): 6:58am On Mar 25, 2013
Nothing new
Re: Breaking News****************** Expertriate Kidnapped In Lagos by OAM4J: 9:27am On Mar 25, 2013

(1)

Danger Alert: Gap/dividing Bridge At Iponri End Of Mainland Bridge / Any Attempt To Come Near My 13 Year Daughter:this Is What Will Happen / UPDATE - Video Of A Nigerian Police Officer Asking For Bribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.