Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,844 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? (16001 Views)

When Is The Last Time You Changed Your Headlights? Learn Some Best Practices / Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? / Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by manny4life(m): 9:30pm On Mar 25, 2013
kolawobee:
And what is wrong about this

That's because someone hasn't flashed you high beam, with exception bad/inclement weather, in almost states here "high beam" is very unlawful and in my state, it carries a ticket of more than $500. High beam when reflected on the car ahead of you or in direct opposite of you, it can cause the driver some sought of blindness. The driver may loose control of their vehicle causing accidents. Although newer cars have built-in features to help deflect that high beam light.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by larryjayz: 9:50pm On Mar 25, 2013
geeez: Because its a North American spec and the headlights come on when you turn on the ignition.

Own a car before posting balderdash
please what is an american spec?
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by easik: 9:51pm On Mar 25, 2013
It may be your daytime running light. Most cars in the last decade already have it on automatically. So you may be wrong on your assumption that people turn it on just for the heck of it.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by dkc(m): 10:09pm On Mar 25, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

am not a nigerian and never been there but

some cars have daytime running lights they switch one on by themself after sensing that their less day light this is common in swedish cars volvos and saabs

some some models you cant switch of the sensor and some you can

my former camry had this. You can't switch it off. but it'll be brighter at night
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by chidexy(m): 10:43pm On Mar 25, 2013
in some countries, it is required by regulation to have the light on during the day. In Poland, the police will pull any driver over driving without lights on and fined heavily. In Germany, the debate is still on whether it should be made mandatory and I think it's same with most other EU countries. It enhances visibility and the oncoming driver is more likely to see the other driver.

As a safety precaution, motorists in the EU are required to put their headlights on if it is raining
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by InvertedHammer: 10:54pm On Mar 25, 2013
Because I am the SHIZNIT

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by victokafor(m): 11:30pm On Mar 25, 2013
IT IS CALLED ILLUMINATOR AS WELL.. IT IS AUTOMATIC..DONT CALL YOUR REWIRE ENGR. FOR REPAIRS OOO. IM GO DAMAGE THE WHOLE LIGHTING SYSTEM....GBAAAM...
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by cr7lomo: 11:30pm On Mar 25, 2013
R these moderators out of topics dat u guys nw put nonsense on d front page. Nd funi enof most of d comments show hw dull nairalanders r. Sayin nonsense and most of u were lafin @ oga @ d top. Even ordinary mechanics on d roadsides know y but most of u guys were jst postin nonsense. smh 4 naija ppl these days
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by busayobrig: 11:48pm On Mar 25, 2013
bkus of drivers who forget the brain @ home while driving to hit your car.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by linearity: 1:04am On Mar 26, 2013
Victoriousvic: Tis called the daytime running light....it's a feature of most cars (esp. Toyota vehicles), i wonder why you put on your lights, you're draining your battery...

If your car battery dey drain while the car is ON/Driving no bi the light wey dey on cause am oh! It is more of a sign that you need another battery or check your alternator.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by chucky234(m): 2:40am On Mar 26, 2013
ade4clement:

I saw an old Audi 80 this afternoon with same light on, is it also an American Spec ride too?
LMAO
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Johnsonpac(m): 3:30am On Mar 26, 2013
grin Oga u b confirm learner ooo
Most cars that are manufactured like that are called American spec Eg toyota products.... So na 4low com dnt b confused dude, if ur car no dey lik dat dnt bother 2 On ur lite in day tym ok
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Solozzo(m): 3:49am On Mar 26, 2013
Ile-Ife:
Northern Yankee cars.

That's right. My sequioa 2004 does that. Once you engage the gears the headlights come on, and you cannot switch them off. My auto-electrician just said "American specs"
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by alexx187(m): 5:24am On Mar 26, 2013
geeez: Because its a North American spec and the headlights come on when you turn on the ignition.

Own a car before posting balderdash
. No be everybody sabi say specs dey wey dia lite dey always dey on...no vex for am sha..
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Nobody: 5:41am On Mar 26, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

am not a nigerian and never been there but

some cars have daytime running lights they switch one on by themself after sensing that their less day light this is common in swedish cars volvos and saabs

some some models you cant switch of the sensor and some you can

This.. Mine automatically turn on and there is no way to turn them off undecided
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ogboniaz: 8:01am On Mar 26, 2013
Barr Jordan: U guys do it outta ignorance jor.... U turn it on normally ωнєη ΰя driving on A̶̲̥̅̊ wrong lane datx all.

From what i know phisicialy, Light travles longer, faster, and sharper than the object itself Car. so for person with low visiblity you save him some situation if you have your light on even in the day. but that depends on the trafics rule in Nigeria if it is permited. In Scandanavia countries it is an offence not to have you headlight on even on a bright weather and when the day is longer than the night. some times in the year during summer is just 2-3 hours darckness yet you are suppose to have your headlight on through out the day.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by pippen213(m): 8:34am On Mar 26, 2013
oduz: enhances visibility, during bad weather
Yes,but What bad weather do you have here?
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by izyrach(f): 8:59am On Mar 26, 2013
its just for d swaggs vip is on her laneoo we no b mates jare,just for d swaggs[quote
author=Victoriousvic]Tis called the daytime running light....it's a
feature of most cars (esp. Toyota vehicles), i wonder why you put on
your lights, you're draining your battery... [/quote]
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by zayhal(f): 9:06am On Mar 26, 2013
What amuses me is that @OP says he also switches his lights on because he sees the lights of some cars switched on. Nigerians with their attitude of follow follow without genuine reason.

Anyway, you've heard it all. The lights you see on those car come on by default. So stop putting yours on except there's need for it.

Another thing is all these guys pointing to your lights as you drive by, some telling you to switch off, some will even get angry and insult you because of the lights. How many people will you stop to explain to that that's how the car is?
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by teelacruz(m): 9:27am On Mar 26, 2013
I have a friend who wȋ̊ℓℓ not release †ђξ handbrake because his light comes up after doing that shocked and when he did that in my presence I LMAO. *ignorance is a disease* Those who do it intentionally should get American spec. Even @ 9t or in dark areas, †ђξ sensor in my corola ON †ђξ dashboard lights as I can't remember when last I use †ђξ light button xcept to dim or full †ђξ light
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Mex: 9:40am On Mar 26, 2013
What you see as headlights in most cars are actually called daytime running lights and they are not controlled by the driver and infact there is no on/off switch at all for them cos they are always on. These are most common in American and Canadian spec cars and Scandinavian cars , though it's getting more common across countries. It's not meant to enhance the drivers view but rather to make your car more visible to others from further away so as to minimize accidents not only in low visibility but also in broad daylight too. The lights consume very little energy so it's not the same as driving with your headlights on cos you're just putting more strain on your engine and shortening the lifespan of your headlamp bulbs.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by senator2k9(m): 10:04am On Mar 26, 2013
ade4clement:

I saw an old Audi 80 this afternoon with same light on, is it also an American Spec ride too?
I hav a very clean audi 80 for sale....mail me on senatorwillis@yahoo.com
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Originalsly: 10:17am On Mar 26, 2013
pippen213:
Yes,but What bad weather do you have here?
Does it ever rain?..or dark clouds ever block out sunlight?...do you ever see fog, mist or dew?...does it ever get dusty? If any of these conditions ever exist then you have bad weather....bad weather meaning low visibility and even if you don't have DRL you should turn on your headlights Under these conditions. @OP...I have the feeling that you would still turn on your headlights but now will be shouting to everyone that your car has American specs.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:20am On Mar 26, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

This.. Mine automatically turn on and there is no way to turn them off undecided

like i said it differs with car and model some you can not through a swith by the dashboard by a procedure eg on a volvo s40 of year 2000 and above if you pull the indicator switch towards you 2 times it deactivates the the day light system

the best way to find such tricks is through joining forums for car people there talk nothing else than your car and its models
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Onliie(m): 10:39am On Mar 26, 2013
Santiago Canyon Road Study : Lights in Daytime Cut Accident Rate
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Macastro: 12:19pm On Mar 26, 2013
blackmann: @OP, this feature is called DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS, or DRL for short. It is automatically programmed into modern cars, mostly those with American Specifications. like geeez said, once you start your car and release the handbrake, it automatically comes on. It is usually meant for improved visibility, particularly in fogs and bad weather.

It is also part of "efizzy",, if you know what i mean grin
on point bro
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ooua: 1:17pm On Mar 26, 2013
Have you heard of fog light? Am sure this is what you see because it is common with newer cars. The fog light comes up as soon as you start your engine.
ade4clement: Hi My Fellow Nairalanders

I've been wondering why people drive in the afternoon with the light of their cars turned on, i started noticing this since last year, though i later join those doing it, each time i want to drive, after starting my car, i put on my deem light, but till this very moment, i don't know why we Nigerians are doing it

Can you share with us why you put on your light during the day time when driving?
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:31pm On Mar 26, 2013
ooua: Have you heard of fog light? Am sure this is what you see because it is common with newer cars. The fog light comes up as soon as you start your engine.

fog lights and daylights are too different things

fog lights you can switch them on and off and are fitted on the bumper
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ab1x: 4:14pm On Mar 26, 2013
It is called Effizy. Just so people around could notice that you are passing by.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Mar 26, 2013
Dose we're no get DLR d form bad guys for road....d day u forget to turn ur head lamp off and off d car nd leav...wen u come bk ur car no gree start again,body go tell u....ba3 go run go calabar. Lol....
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Donjossey: 8:27am On Mar 27, 2013
Some of this cars are America spec the light turn on when the car engine is on,why oda non America spec the driver put on the light himself for efizy,America spec does not have the rear light on when the head lamp is on,for those forming efizy with their own you will see the rear light on as well.that is the diff.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by davou4eva(m): 10:59am On Jan 07, 2016
blackmann:
@OP, this feature is called DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS, or DRL for short. It is automatically programmed into modern cars, mostly those with American Specifications. like geeez said, once you start your car and release the handbrake, it automatically comes on. It is usually meant for improved visibility, particularly in fogs and bad weather.

It is also part of "efizzy",, if you know what i mean grin

You Just nail it. Moreover, the back light won't come on when it is automatic while d back light would be on for people that do it manually. However, their are exception to some brand of cars e.g Volvo, where they have day running light and the back light on automatically.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unbelievable: Bluetooth Device Will Help Motorist To Avoid Traffic Congestion / Why Do Some People Adorn Their Dashboards With Horse Whips? / Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.