Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? (16014 Views)

When Is The Last Time You Changed Your Headlights? Learn Some Best Practices / Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? / Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Adurangba(f): 6:23pm On Mar 25, 2013
no question wey dem no go ask for this NairaLand.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by symbianDON(m): 6:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
the DRL feature is quite useful in northern nigeria espescially during the dusty harmattan season when visibility is usually greatly impaired and also in southern nigeria espescially during the rainy season. Generally this feature is a very innovative one in modern cars.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by cecegorz(m): 6:26pm On Mar 25, 2013
For most American/Canadian spec cars, the lights are wired to come up once the Engine starts running to keep oncoming vehicles informed of your presence during foggy weather.
It is called Daylight Running Light (DRL).
However when the car enters Naija, we don't bother to remove it even though our weather is clear and bright.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Aifey(m): 6:27pm On Mar 25, 2013
Is daylight runnin, mostly American spec cars. My 2.4 camry does tht. But I hate it. U'll look stupid.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by majomayo(m): 6:33pm On Mar 25, 2013
tonididdy: cos my headlights attracts passersby to stare at my car...phew i love to turn necks in my x5

Hmmm lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by hardbody: 6:43pm On Mar 25, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

am not a nigerian and never been there but

some cars have daytime running lights they switch one on by themself after sensing that their less day light this is common in swedish cars volvos and saabs

some some models you cant switch of the sensor and some you can

Spot on. The other plausible reason could be that the driver drove off while it was still dark and forgot to switch off when the day had brightened fully. A third reason i know people do it around here is mostly when they plan on doing high speed and the intention is to forewarn oncoming cars, police, customs and all other road users that they there is no intention of stopping and that the driver is slamming the pedal hard so oncomers should beware. Another very good reason is when a guy is doing one way especially in the express and thus sharing lanes with on-coming vehicles, it is supposed to be a warning sign. At those times, some may put on the hazard as further warning. NOTICE, I do all of those, depending on my circumstance at any given point in time.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by mrofficial2(m): 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2013
I only put on the headlights when traveling because of other motorists, especially for those truck and tank drivers, who may at anytime swerve. And also, when the weather is bad.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Mar 25, 2013
ade4clement: Hi My Fellow Nairalanders

I've been wondering why people drive in the afternoon with the light of their cars turned on, i started noticing this since last year, though i later join those doing it, each time i want to drive, after starting my car, i put on my deem light, but till this very moment, i don't know why we Nigerians are doing it

Can you share with us why you put on your light during the day time when driving?
most cars imported from north america run on day-light headlamps, which is a requirement for vehicles manufactured in most areas in north america, since we import many cars from north america, they tend to still retain the electrical system, that initiates the headlamps when you release the handbrakes...hence, it is not unusual to nickname the cars American specs or A-specs, to differentiate between people who hve day-light running and those who put it on for show, the parking light and in some cases dash-board lights can be used to distinguish. its a safety feature in areas prone to low visibility during bad weather. i guess we don't need it here, but do you want to pay your re-wire the extra cost of disabling it?!!
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by tayoast(m): 7:20pm On Mar 25, 2013
An0nimus: Why do some folks put on 'full headlights' when driving at night? undecided ..it could be annoying

Annoying? That's understating it.

The way some people blind oncoming motorists with their headlamp is the height of illiteracy.

Leaving your 'full headlamp' on when another car's approaching poses danger to the two of you (and others).
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by AnodaIT(m): 7:31pm On Mar 25, 2013
I don't know about others but in my case , I like moving in convoy that is why the headlights must be on
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Ninilowo(m): 7:33pm On Mar 25, 2013
Hallmark of American Tokunbo cars.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by yollychika(f): 7:34pm On Mar 25, 2013
American spec
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by gabrieli(m): 7:34pm On Mar 25, 2013
[quote author=ade4clement]Hi My Fellow Nairalanders

I've been wondering why people drive in the afternoon with the light of their cars turned on, i started noticing this since last year, though i later join those doing it, each time i want to drive, after starting my car, i put on my deem light, but till this very moment, i don't know why we Nigerians are doing it

Can you share with us why you put on your light during the day time when driving?[/
quote]

bros, dont fall my hands nah, that light na day time running light ke, u see it mainly on american specs. so, stop putting on your dim light ooo
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by coldgate(f): 7:35pm On Mar 25, 2013
[url][/url]

Can you share with us why you put on your light during the day time when driving?
Bros, u be learner? They do not deliberately put them on. Though they could be turned off. These are Obodo oyinbo imported cars and the lights are called fog lights.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by specco(m): 7:41pm On Mar 25, 2013

Hmm, you joined them without knowing why. Now that you know why, will you 'unjoin' them when your car doesn't have those features?
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by lawbabs: 7:48pm On Mar 25, 2013
my car is an A specs which automatically switches on and off, the full light. During the day however, the deem light is auto on which is common of most A specs vehicle. And when visibility is poor, it switches to full light. For instance, when i drive into the car pack at shopping malls, the full light immediately turns on, and as i drive out, the deem light returns. It was designed like that...
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by mrofficial2(m): 7:56pm On Mar 25, 2013
lawbabs: my car is an A specs which automatically switches on and off, the full light. During the day however, the deem light is auto on which is common of most A specs vehicle. And when visibility is poor, it switches to full light. For instance, when i drive into the car pack at shopping malls, the full light immediately turns on, and as i drive out, the deem light returns. It was designed like that...

That's Auto Headlights. It happens because your car has Auto Headlights and probably the switch is on.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Elai147: 7:59pm On Mar 25, 2013
It is a common driving rule. When driving your vehicle, headlights are required to be turned on between one-half hour before sunset and one-half hour after sunrise, and any other time of poor light conditions, such as fog, snow or rain, which keeps you from clearly seeing people or vehicles less than 150 metres away. It will increase your visibility as well as making your vehicle visible to others. Using your healights in a clear Nigerian weather is nonesense and not EFIZY

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by bootyprince(m): 8:14pm On Mar 25, 2013
Dats just foolishness! Pple and their small brain! D pple dat made d car made the light for night tym, but Nigerians r just so daft!
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by mej67: 8:20pm On Mar 25, 2013
Yea, all well said. Now I need advice on how to swwitch d auto DRL off. Cos it can give u away wen u try to cool d inside of d car a little while in a corner -smushing thinz, if u get my drift
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by lekanolaolu: 8:31pm On Mar 25, 2013
CyberG: It's Daylight Running Lights. In Nigeria however, where there is no severe fogging even during the day due to the weather, DRL is not required. Over here, even during the day, visibility can be rather bad so the lights makes it more likely that another car would be able to see your car more easily. However in Nigeria, I would guess some people whose cars don't even have DRL would deliberately switch on their headlamps to be part of the "EFIZZY" grin grin
that is true. Am guilty of this too! Lolz
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 25, 2013
Na waooooo. i noticed it when i visited Naija last year. Very funny. At first i thought it was an error until one of my homez told me to put my light on in hot after-noon.

I said no. cos im a guy that hate popular demand.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Abrantie: 8:35pm On Mar 25, 2013
Because some cars are made like that and you can't switch it off unless the engine is off.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ophilly: 8:37pm On Mar 25, 2013
Daytime Running Lights (DRL) comes on automatically as you release your handbrake. It forms part of safety features in european and north american cars which is designed to increase mental alertness of on-coming vehicles, it is believed that this feature has reduced road accidents considerably QED(i.e it has not been proven). DRL is low-intensity light even lower than your dim lights, hence it cannot increase your visibility and it has no adverse effect on your battery.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by holluwai(m): 8:38pm On Mar 25, 2013
I taya....NL should conduct IQ test for people joining the forum!

Adura_ngba: no question wey dem no go ask for this NairaLand.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Lucasbalo(m): 8:54pm On Mar 25, 2013
I live here in Chitown and my truck lights turns on as soon as u start the truck. That's called daylight sensing light.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by tmoney2008(m): 9:01pm On Mar 25, 2013
All America spec cars are made like that, because of weather.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Iceduhu(m): 9:03pm On Mar 25, 2013
Everything is allready said, be it DRL, ADL, Efizzy, stupidity as 4 me i wud recommend it as per in Naija, y because some dump ass wen driving cant even c well in the day time, but once noticed d light at distance dia eyez will clear off even wen taken kilos of weed. Its a psychological strategy 4 Naija drivers on top.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by fxseven(m): 9:13pm On Mar 25, 2013
I put on headlamps when driving on highway because they serve as warning to drivers with eye problems e.g myopia and glaucoma. you get it. they see your light on and they know you are coming.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by kolawobee: 9:18pm On Mar 25, 2013
An0nimus: Why do some folks put on 'full headlights' when driving at night? undecided ..it could be annoying
And what is wrong about this
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by 4ormidable(m): 9:20pm On Mar 25, 2013
Na Nepa/phcn start am... u no come trust sunlight..grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Godogwu: 9:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
DRL

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unbelievable: Bluetooth Device Will Help Motorist To Avoid Traffic Congestion / Let's Build A Car / Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.