Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,824 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? (16000 Views)

When Is The Last Time You Changed Your Headlights? Learn Some Best Practices / Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? / Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ade4clement: 9:53am On Mar 25, 2013
Hi My Fellow Nairalanders

I've been wondering why people drive in the afternoon with the light of their cars turned on, i started noticing this since last year, though i later join those doing it, each time i want to drive, after starting my car, i put on my deem light, but till this very moment, i don't know why we Nigerians are doing it

Can you share with us why you put on your light during the day time when driving?
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by oduz: 10:25am On Mar 25, 2013
enhances visibility, during bad weather
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:04am On Mar 25, 2013
oduz: enhances visibility, during bad weather

he said during day light

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:10am On Mar 25, 2013
ade4clement: Hi My Fellow Nairalanders

I've been wondering why people drive in the afternoon with the light of their cars turned on, i started noticing this since last year, though i later join those doing it, each time i want to drive, after starting my car, i put on my deem light, but till this very moment, i don't know why we Nigerians are doing it

Can you share with us why you put on your light during the day time when driving?

am not a nigerian and never been there but

some cars have daytime running lights they switch one on by themself after sensing that their less day light this is common in swedish cars volvos and saabs

some some models you cant switch of the sensor and some you can

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 25, 2013
Swag & packaging.. lol

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ade4clement: 5:36pm On Mar 25, 2013
lol
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by IleIfe2(m): 5:37pm On Mar 25, 2013
Northern Yankee cars.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by geeez: 5:37pm On Mar 25, 2013
Because its a North American spec and the headlights come on when you turn on the ignition.

Own a car before posting balderdash

19 Likes

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Fhemmmy: 5:37pm On Mar 25, 2013
Are you referring to the Fog Light or the main head light?
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ade4clement: 5:38pm On Mar 25, 2013
Fhemmmy: Are you referring to the Fog Light or the main head light?

Both
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ade4clement: 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2013
geeez: Because its a North American spec and the headlights come on when you turn on the ignition.

I saw an old Audi 80 this afternoon with same light on, is it also an American Spec ride too?

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2013
Haven't notice that,don't on mine though.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by tonididdy(m): 5:41pm On Mar 25, 2013
cos my headlights attracts passersby to stare at my car...phew i love to turn necks in my x5
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Melahou(m): 5:41pm On Mar 25, 2013
ade4clement: Hi My Fellow Nairalanders

showing your allegiance to BOKO HARAM tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by wellmax(m): 5:42pm On Mar 25, 2013
geeez: Because its a North American spec and the headlights come on when you turn on the ignition.

grin grin grin grin
When I saw this topic, I was like. who be this carless person?

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by blackmann(m): 5:43pm On Mar 25, 2013
@OP, this feature is called DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS, or DRL for short. It is automatically programmed into modern cars, mostly those with American Specifications. like geeez said, once you start your car and release the handbrake, it automatically comes on. It is usually meant for improved visibility, particularly in fogs and bad weather.

It is also part of "efizzy",, if you know what i mean grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by An0nimus: 5:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
Why do some folks put on 'full headlights' when driving at night? undecided ..it could be annoying

6 Likes

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by BizBooks(m): 5:46pm On Mar 25, 2013
Back in the 90s, the car maker Saturn had a commercial for one of their cars
which had Daylight Running Lamps or DLR. In the ad, everywhere the driver goes,
people kept telling him his lights are on. Well, that is the whole point. If your
lights are on, on-coming drivers will not miss you in broad daylight or low visibility.
That minimizes the risk of head-on collision.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by nairaman66(m): 5:48pm On Mar 25, 2013
Most American Specs cars are like that! Once the ignition is on- The lights goes on! I have a baby boy.. American Spec, if the lights are on before you turn off the Ignition- it automatically goes off in 15 secs!!
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by searchcorp(m): 5:49pm On Mar 25, 2013
Its an american specs car. Understood?
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Emekayoung(m): 5:55pm On Mar 25, 2013
[quote author=blackmann]@OP, this feature is called DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS, or DRL for short. It is automatically programmed into modern cars, mostly those with American Specifications. like geeez said, once you start your car and release the handbrake, it automatically comes on. It is usually meant for improved visibility, particularly in fogs and bad weather.

It is also part of "efizzy",, if you know what i mean grin
[/quote
You are correct man,u knw the answer to the question very well.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by fittty(m): 5:58pm On Mar 25, 2013
undecided
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by jude33084(m): 6:00pm On Mar 25, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

he said during day light

Are you guys for real shocked

All American cars(model) does that wink

Once your ignition is turn on the head lamp is automatically switch on cool

I love my corola tongue
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Fhemmmy: 6:02pm On Mar 25, 2013
Like someone said, it is just the Daylight running light . . . .

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 25, 2013
Fhemmmy: Like someone said, it is just the Daylight running light . . . .
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by CyberG: 6:08pm On Mar 25, 2013
It's Daylight Running Lights. In Nigeria however, where there is no severe fogging even during the day due to the weather, DRL is not required. Over here, even during the day, visibility can be rather bad so the lights makes it more likely that another car would be able to see your car more easily. However in Nigeria, I would guess some people whose cars don't even have DRL would deliberately switch on their headlamps to be part of the "EFIZZY" grin grin
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 25, 2013
Tis called the daytime running light....it's a feature of most cars (esp. Toyota vehicles), i wonder why you put on your lights, you're draining your battery...
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by lordjay: 6:11pm On Mar 25, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by dammytosh: 6:15pm On Mar 25, 2013
jude33084:

Are you guys for real shocked

All American cars(model) does that wink

Once your ignition is turn on the head lamp is automatically switch on cool

I love my corola tongue

Thanks bro. American specs turn on automatically. Others do it ignorantly.
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by ChuckD2(m): 6:22pm On Mar 25, 2013
These lights come with cars that are made for regions of the world that can have severe haze/fog/smog such that normal visibility is reduced. If you have such a vehicle, well... you have it and there's nothing you can do but in a car without it originally, it is stupidity... not packaging or anything like that... People always get fascinated with stupid things and they don't look them up anywhere to understand why it's so.
OP: Inasmush as you didn't know, you have done well to ask and it's commendable so please... next time, don't turn it on if visibility is good
Re: Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day? by BarrJordan(m): 6:22pm On Mar 25, 2013
U guys do it outta ignorance jor.... U turn it on normally ωнєη ΰя driving on A̶̲̥̅̊ wrong lane datx all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unbelievable: Bluetooth Device Will Help Motorist To Avoid Traffic Congestion / Why Do Some People Adorn Their Dashboards With Horse Whips? / Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.