Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:39 AM

English Language Programming Challenge - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / English Language Programming Challenge (5891 Views)

Programming Challenge For Beginners Competition Two N20000 -SEASON 2- / Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 / Facebook Programming Challenge Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Language Programming Challenge by kodewrita(m): 12:10pm On Mar 25, 2013
My dear friends I have come again to trouble/challenge you a lil bit.

This challenge has no time limit.

It has no language restrictions and it is simply a matter of pride or interest if you participate.

Your responses will be stored here if you choose for learning/peer review.

Problem Statement:
Given a set of sentences in the English Language, write a program in any language to determine whether the event it references is in the past , present or future ( lets put all the other tenses under this headings. If you are capable, you can go deeper) with respect to the day on which the program is being run.

Sample Input Sentences:
The bomb was set to go off at 8am on the 18th of April 2013.
We will launch the application on Monday 9th March.
This case has been adjourned till next wednesday.
It will happen four days from now.

Sample Output for a program running today 25th March:
Future.
Past.
Future.
Future.

Please restrict yourself to THESE SENTENCES. Dont make it too complex by trying to make your code solve all possible situations. Just tackling these sample sentences is all that is required. Just interested in the logic behind your code and how you arrive at your solutions.

if you find it too hard, feel free to exclude some sentences.

As i said earlier, feel free to participate as you please and if you observe any flaws in the problem itself, please mention it.

Regards.
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by Afam4eva(m): 12:47pm On Mar 25, 2013
First, explain to us what present tense, past tense and future tense means. Don't assume that we know it.

1 Like

Re: English Language Programming Challenge by phaya(f): 12:48pm On Mar 25, 2013
Huh?
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by mysticgal(f): 12:51pm On Mar 25, 2013
am a bit confused,try and explain futher,i would love this challenge,very very much.
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by onegig(m): 12:57pm On Mar 25, 2013
Lol! at the comments..

This is no simple English game guys...

Its programming.

Write a simple program to classify each sentence as past, present or future tenses based on the words used...
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by dopeJemi: 1:02pm On Mar 25, 2013

stilL don't get it.. I don't think its what I'm thinking
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by dammytosh: 1:13pm On Mar 25, 2013
Afam4eva: First, explain to us what present tense, past tense and future tense means. Don't assume that we know it.
It is easy to spot a programmer when you come across one. grin grin

@Ops, afam4eva is right. Explain what you meant by present tense, past tense and future tense in this context.
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by lond07: 1:17pm On Mar 25, 2013
Sorry got no time to code, so I'll just give you the pseudocode
1. read the line
2. Search for the verb (has or will)
3. If (has) is found then display - Past tense
4. If (will) is found, then display - Future tense
5. Else display - Undetermined
6 End of program

Happy coding
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by Regiblinkz(m): 1:21pm On Mar 25, 2013
*runs into thread,looks around ,still confused and runs out crying*
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by Nobody: 1:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
Is PHP allowed??
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by dustydee: 1:27pm On Mar 25, 2013
nice challenge. This may help our youth who are fast losing their English language skills to short hand writing/ abbreviations.
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by onegig(m): 1:33pm On Mar 25, 2013
Damn...I laugh at my fellow countrymen's ignorance. If it were to be one rock, music or other useless stuff. The page go don reach 30 pages. And to think the so called literate can't even deduce what this means..smh sad
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by Sagytarius1: 1:38pm On Mar 25, 2013
lond07:
I'm not a programmer, but if I'm to follow the literary understanding of ur pseudocode, then I might have to fix some bugs as below:

1. read the line
2. Search for the auxilliary verb (has or will or was)
3. If (was) is found then display - Past tense
4. If (will) is found, then display - Future tense
5. If (has) is found, then display -Past participle tense {Although op didnt include this in his instructions, probably unintentionally}
6. If (none) is found, then display - Present tense
7. Else display - Undetermined
8. End of program
Fixed.
What do you think?
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by lond07: 1:40pm On Mar 25, 2013
onegig: Damn...I laugh at my fellow countrymen's ignorance. If it were to be one rock, music or other useless stuff. The page go don reach 30 pages. And to think the so called literate can't even deduce what this means..smh sad

No, I think you may be wrong. This is a programming task and for programmers only. Don't expect an auto mechanic and a lawyer ... etc to make any contribution.
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by ciphoenix: 1:40pm On Mar 25, 2013
it's either I don't understand or this is quite easy.
Perhaps I don't understand.
To get it straight, we're to write a program
to classify those 4 sentences ONLY as past, present or future tense.
Am I right?

1 Like

Re: English Language Programming Challenge by unnamed: 1:42pm On Mar 25, 2013
...Oooops
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by dammytosh: 1:54pm On Mar 25, 2013
onegig: Damn...I laugh at my fellow countrymen's ignorance. If it were to be one rock, music or other useless stuff. The page go don reach 30 pages. And to think the so called literate can't even deduce what this means..smh sad

Dude,
I have been an active programmer for more than 10 years. That task is not a task you can jump into and say this is what the solution is except you want to go the lazy route of checking for "is","was","will" to categorize present, past and future tenses in that case it is an extremely simple code to write other wise, a lot has to go in terms of the lexical analysis of the sentences.

Besides, i can't see your solution apart from the abuses. The problem is strictly for programmers ok ?
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by adexsimply(m): 1:57pm On Mar 25, 2013
I either dnt get dis question ryt or its too simple...if d latter is d case, then sum1 with 2 days programmin experience wil code this without trouble

1 Like

Re: English Language Programming Challenge by onegig(m): 1:57pm On Mar 25, 2013
lond07:

No, I think you may be wrong. This is a programming task and for programmers only. Don't expect an auto mechanic and a lawyer ... etc to make any contribution.

I know....my sacrascm was directed to dustydee cheesy cheesy...

dustydee: nice challenge. This may help our youth who are fast losing their English language skills to short hand writing/ abbreviations.
dammytosh:

Dude,
I have been an active programmer for more than 10 years. That task is not a task you can jump into and say this is what the solution is except you want to go the lazy route of checking for "is","was","will" to categorize present, past and future tenses.

Besides, i can't see your solution apart from the abuses. The problem is strictly for programmers ok ?

i go post my response later...and i didnt abuse anyone ok...??
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by PrinceNN(m): 2:05pm On Mar 25, 2013
Re: English Language Programming Challenge by lordZOUGA(m): 2:06pm On Mar 25, 2013
here is my solution http://ideone.com/TUMaFD

1 Like

Re: English Language Programming Challenge by ciphoenix: 2:11pm On Mar 25, 2013
space reserved too...
wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

HIIT Computer Training Center Review / Nigeria’s Top Programmers And Developers As Ranked By Github 2016 / Microsoft Ports. NET To Linux And Macintosh, Goes Open-sources; Is Java Doomed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.