Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,224 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome (14799 Views)

Misconceptions You Should Clear Of Your Mind As Saints Of God / Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? / Roman Catholicism -- Christian or pagan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 11:35am On Mar 28, 2013
frosbel: ^^^^^

another heretical and unscriptural book.

So says frosbel.God will surely punish the heretics who removed 7 books from the bible in a bid to justify their crazy beliefs
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 28, 2013
^^ Ehn, but what about the books you people removed too?
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 12:03pm On Mar 28, 2013
The catholic church did not remove any book from the bible.The canon the catholic church is using is the same canon approved by the first church council that canonised the bible.
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 28, 2013
chukwudi44: The catholic church did not remove any book from the bible.The canon the catholic church is using is the same canon approved by the first church council that canonised the bible.

Ok. You know, I was just thinking about all those books that were rejected when each canon was formed. I mean, you Romans have seven books more than us Protestants and apparently eight books less than the Egyptian (or was it Ethiopian?) Church.

So, relatively speaking, you removed eight books from the Bible, at least from the Egyptian (or Ethiopian) point of view. They could say the same thing to you that you say to us.

However, your mention of the first church council lands us in a discussion of history. So let me ask you. What council do you refer to as the first? And what was the canon it produced?
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Ubenedictus(m): 1:19pm On Mar 28, 2013
[quote author=frosbel2][/quote] hehehe, most of the guy you named were historical human beings not some myth formed to resemble some gods.
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by dokie: 1:36pm On Mar 28, 2013
frosbel: Good thing the Paganism has nowhere to hide, it is now rearing it's head with the arrogance that goes with it's falsehood.

We thank GOD that Jesus is alive and he alone can intercede for MAN.

The dead saints , many of who are roman gods and goddesses cannot talk, hear , speak or think.

Your prayers are going nowhere brother.

The prophets of Baal did the same thing with the following results :

"25 Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, “Choose one of the bulls and prepare it first, since there are so many of you. Call on the name of your god, but do not light the fire.” 26 So they took the bull given them and prepared it.

Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon. “Baal, answer us!” they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the altar they had made.

27 At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 28 So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed. 29 Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention." - 1 Kings 18 :25-29

if you believe that those who died in christ are dead, as you have labelled them "dead saints", then you know nothing about the fundamentals of christianity. are you a christian? or perhaps you belong to one of those sects that deny the fact that Jesus is God. let's take it from here first before we move into deeper christian issues. what is your denomination?
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 1:42pm On Mar 28, 2013
dokie:

if you believe that those who died in christ are dead, as you have labelled them "dead saints", then you know nothing about the fundamentals of christianity. are you a christian? or perhaps you belong to one of those sects that deny the fact that Jesus is God. let's take it from here first before we move into deeper christian issues. what is your denomination?

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten." - Ecclesiastes 9:5

"Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."" - John 11:24

Daniel 12:2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

John 5:28 "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice

John 6:39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.

[size=16pt]ALL the DEAD are currently DEAD ![/size]
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Ubenedictus(m): 1:57pm On Mar 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Ok. You know, I was just thinking about all those books that were rejected when each canon was formed. I mean, you Romans have seven books more than us Protestants and apparently eight books less than the Egyptian (or was it Ethiopian?) Church.

So, relatively speaking, you removed eight books from the Bible, at least from the Egyptian (or Ethiopian) point of view. They could say the same thing to you that you say to us.

However, your mention of the first church council lands us in a discussion of history. So let me ask you. What council do you refer to as the first? And what was the canon it produced?
actually the ethiopian church can't claim d romans removed anything. The early church used the septuagint and the extra 8 books can't be found among the early church. Only one charge can be made, the ethiopean church added 8 books to their canon.
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 28, 2013
Matthew 17:1-9

New International Version (NIV)

The Transfiguration

17 After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. 3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.

4 Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.”

5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”

6 When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. 7 But Jesus came and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.” 8 When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.

9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, “Don’t tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”

So even dead men like moses can be seen discussing with Jesus so what prevents him from interceding on our behalf
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 2:17pm On Mar 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:

The first canon to be called a christian bible had 73 books and not 66 nor 83.Anything other than these 73 books is not the christian canon
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 2:18pm On Mar 28, 2013
chukwudi44: Matthew 17:1-9

New International Version (NIV)

The Transfiguration

17 After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. 3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.

4 Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.”

5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”

6 When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. 7 But Jesus came and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.” 8 When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.

9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, “Don’t tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”

So even dead men like moses can be seen discussing with Jesus so what prevents him from interceding on our behalf

^^^

"As they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them, saying, "Tell the vision to no one until the Son of Man has risen from the dead." - Matthew 17:9

Definition of vision ( in context ):
an experience of seeing someone or something in a dream or trance, or as a supernatural apparition:
the idea came to him in a vision

(often visions) a vivid mental image, especially a fanciful one of the future:
he had visions of becoming the Elton John of his time

Oxford Dictionary Source
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 2:27pm On Mar 28, 2013
frosbel: grin

^^^

"As they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them, saying, "Tell the vision to no one until the Son of Man has risen from the dead." - Matthew 17:9

an experience of seeing someone or something in a dream or trance, or as a supernatural apparition:

Oxford Dictionary Source
grin

Even the devil would be impressed with your scripture twisting skills.chei bible don suffer
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 28, 2013
chukwudi44: grin

Even the devil would be impressed with your scripture twisting skills.chei bible don suffer

Tradition and rituals have blinded you from the truth.

May GOD open the eyes of your understanding !
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 28, 2013
chukwudi44:

The first canon to be called a christian bible had 73 books and not 66 nor 83.Anything other than these 73 books is not the christian canon
Ubenedictus: actually the ethiopian church can't claim d romans removed anything. The early church used the septuagint and the extra 8 books can't be found among the early church. Only one charge can be made, the ethiopean church added 8 books to their canon.

You guys do understand the phrase, 'relatively speaking', right?

What remaind is to be sure that you are right in your claim, @chukwudi44. That's why I asked you what council you refered to and what canon it produced.
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Ubenedictus(m): 4:27pm On Mar 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:

You guys do understand the phrase, 'relatively speaking', right?

What remaind is to be sure that you are right in your claim, @chukwudi44. That's why I asked you what council you refered to and what canon it produced.
your "relative" statement gave rise to a "relative" answer. My response wasn't becos i misunderstood ur post but becos i wanted to show how it would be.
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by italo: 4:57pm On Mar 28, 2013
@ Ihedinobi, you are not denying that Protestants removed 7 books from the Bible, right?

You're only saying the 'ethiopians' can accuse Catholics of doing the same thing.

In order words, for you, the Bible has no clear definition (correct me if I am wrong).
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Omenuko(m): 5:11pm On Mar 28, 2013
frosbel:

^^^

Oxford Dictionary Source

How can this be a vision when Peter, himself, confirms what he heard and saw in 2 Peter 1:16-18...

16 For we did not follow cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

17 For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there was borne such a voice to him by the Majestic Glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased:

18 and this voice we [ourselves] heard borne out of heaven, when we were with him in the holy mount.
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 5:16pm On Mar 28, 2013
Omenuko:

How can this be a vision when Peter, himself, confirms what he heard and saw in 2 Peter 1:16-18...

I am sure the translators knew what Jesus meant by vision hence it's inclusion.

If jesus called it a vision I believe him.

him.

Who do you believe ?
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Omenuko(m): 5:20pm On Mar 28, 2013
frosbel:

I am sure the translators knew what Jesus meant by vision hence it's inclusion.

If jesus called it a vision I belive

him.

Who do you believe?

So just to be clear...your argument is that Moses and Elijah are not in heaven or rather did not actually meet Jesus. Instead, are dead and have not interaction with anything or anyone (including God). Is that correct?
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:43pm On Mar 28, 2013
frosbel:

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten." - Ecclesiastes 9:5

"Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."" - John 11:24

Daniel 12:2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

John 5:28 "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice

John 6:39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.

[size=24pt]
INCLUDING JESUS, UNLESS YOU BLIV IN ZOMBIES![/size]
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by shdemidemi(m): 6:13pm On Mar 28, 2013
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
King James Version (KJV)
13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Omenuko(m): 6:22pm On Mar 28, 2013
shdemidemi: 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
King James Version (KJV)
13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Thanks...but, posting scripture with no explanation does no one justice. Do you mind interpreting what this means? I'll ask you the same question I posed to frosbel, which is:

So just to be clear...your argument is that Moses and Elijah are not in heaven or rather did not actually meet Jesus. Instead, are dead and have not interaction with anything or anyone (including God). Is that correct?
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by dokie: 6:43pm On Mar 28, 2013
frosbel:

you are either a "jehover's" witness, seventh day adventist or something of that sort. a product of an american false prophet of the 19th or 20th century. i was going to engage you in a proper theological discussion but it'll be a waste of my time. i rather spend it praying for you and your likes.Holy Spirit, i ask that you may open the eyes of the minds of these ones who attack the Church that has been guided by you all these centuries. grant them simple understanding knowledge and wisdom to the glory of God. in Jesus mighty name i pray. if my brethren are here say a big AMEN.
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by dokie: 7:09pm On Mar 28, 2013
frosbel:

Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 7:14pm On Mar 28, 2013
dokie:
you are either a "jehover's" witness, seventh day adventist or something of that sort. a product of an american false prophet of the 19th or 20th century. i was going to engage you in a proper theological discussion but it'll be a waste of my time. i rather spend it praying for you and your likes.Holy Spirit, i ask that you may open the eyes of the minds of these ones who attack the Church that has been guided by you all these centuries. grant them simple understanding knowledge and wisdom to the glory of God. in Jesus mighty name i pray. if my brethren are here say a big AMEN.

Don't pray your Pagan prayers for me, I reject them all.

I am neither a Jehovah Witness nor a 7th day Adventist.

1 Like

Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 7:18pm On Mar 28, 2013
Omenuko:

I think it's healthy to go back to the bible rather than use my own words smiley

"When you hide your face, they are terrified; when you take away their breath, they die and return to the dust" - Psalm 104:29

Job 10:9 Remember that you molded me like clay. Will you now turn me to dust again?

Job 34:14 - 15 If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, all humanity would perish together and mankind would return to the dust.
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Omenuko(m): 8:22pm On Mar 28, 2013
frosbel:

I think it's healthy to go back to the bible rather than use my own words smiley

"When you hide your face, they are terrified; when you take away their breath, they die and return to the dust" - Psalm 104:29

Job 10:9 Remember that you molded me like clay. Will you now turn me to dust again?

Job 34:14 - 15 If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, all humanity would perish together and mankind would return to the dust.

I see you managed to do the same the shdemidemi did. Scripture does not interpret its self. Please interpret what this means and answer my original question, namely:

Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by ijawkid(m): 8:37pm On Mar 28, 2013
Omenuko:

I see you managed to do the same the shdemidemi did. Scripture does not interpret its self. Please interpret what this means and answer my original question, namely:

And yes they were not in heaven neither were they hanging around somewhere other than there graves.......

John 3:13....
. But the Son of Man
has come down from heaven.

English Standard Version
(©2001)
No one has ascended into heaven
except he who descended from
heaven
, the Son of Man.

I think this supports Jesus' words that what happened at the transfiguration was a vision....
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Omenuko(m): 9:05pm On Mar 28, 2013
ijawkid:

And yes they were not in heaven neither were they hanging around somewhere other than there graves.......

John 3:13....
. But the Son of Man
has come down from heaven.

English Standard Version
(©2001)
No one has ascended into heaven
except he who descended from
heaven
, the Son of Man.

I think this supports Jesus' words that what happened at the transfiguration was a vision....

I very much think you need to review those passages once more...we have in Matthew 17:1-9 a discussion of Jesus and three of his apostles going to a mountain (the Mount of Transfiguration). On the mountain, Jesus begins to shine with bright rays of light. Then the prophets Moses and Elijah appear next to him and he speaks with them. Jesus is then called "Son" by a voice in the sky, assumed to be God the Father, as in the Baptism of Jesus. Following this, Jesus then warns his apostles to tell no one until he (Jesus) is risen from the dead. I don't understand how you gather that this is a vision.

In saying vision, I assume you to mean that it did not actually happen. That you believe it was a fantasy or dream of sorts. If you believe it to be a fantasy or dream, why would God show these three men, Moses and Elijah speaking with Jesus? And why would God specifically manifest this to the Peter, James and John.

To further reveal that this was in fact a real event Peter goes on to write about this experience in 2 Peter 1:16-18...

For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but [size=15pt]we were eyewitnesses of his majesty[/size]. He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” [size=15pt]We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven[/size] when we were with him on the sacred mountain.

From the above Peter clearly states that he was an eyewitness to the event or majesty discussed in Matthew 17:1-9 and heard the voice of God. How can you then say it was a vision. Peter even begins this passage by saying he and others are not easily disposed to false stories, of which I would include dreams or fantasies or even visions. I'm happy you ended you post by saying you think...Because what you think is very much so contrary to the traditional interpretation of the transfiguration.
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by ijawkid(m): 9:39pm On Mar 28, 2013
Omenuko:

I very much think you need to review those passages once more...we have in Matthew 17:1-9 a discussion of Jesus and three of his apostles going to a mountain (the Mount of Transfiguration). On the mountain, Jesus begins to shine with bright rays of light. Then the prophets Moses and Elijah appear next to him and he speaks with them. Jesus is then called "Son" by a voice in the sky, assumed to be God the Father, as in the Baptism of Jesus. Following this, Jesus then warns his apostles to tell no one until he (Jesus) is risen from the dead. I don't understand how you gather that this is a vision.

In saying vision, I assume you to mean that it did not actually happen. That you believe it was a fantasy or dream of sorts. If you believe it to be a fantasy or dream, why would God show these three men, Moses and Elijah speaking with Jesus? And why would God specifically manifest this to the Peter, James and John.
What happened to this part of verse 9??.......
the mountain, Jesus commanded
them, saying, "Tell the vision to no
one until the Son of Man has risen
from the dead."

King James Bible (Cambridge
Ed.)
And as they came down from the
mountain, Jesus charged them,
saying, Tell the vision to no man,
until the Son of man be risen again
from the dead.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
(©2009)
As they were coming down from
the mountain, Jesus commanded
them, "Don't tell anyone about the
vision until the Son of Man is
raised from the dead."
Jesus says its a vision which ofcus was a fore-glimpse of something important to come and not some incident to prove that elijah and moses were in heaven or floating some where else......remember the argument here is that these men were in heaven and so dead saints can also pray on behalf of the living........

Omenuko:

To further reveal that this was in fact a real event Peter goes on to write about this experience in 2 Peter 1:16-18...

The seeing of moses and elijah was a vision bro....................

Omenuko:

From the above Peter clearly states that he was an eyewitness to the event or majesty discussed in Matthew 17:1-9 and heard the voice of God. How can you then say it was a vision. Peter even begins this passage by saying he and others are not easily disposed to false stories, of which I would include dreams or fantasies or even visions. I'm happy you ended you post by saying you think...Because what you think is very much so contrary to the traditional interpretation of the transfiguration.

A vision is not a false story...angry.........

Oya answer this question..

where did elijah and moses come from??......

Start answering......where were they before coming to meet Jesus at that transfiguration..??.......
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 28, 2013
Ubenedictus: your "relative" statement gave rise to a "relative" answer. My response wasn't becos i misunderstood ur post but becos i wanted to show how it would be.

Huh? I don't understand what you said. What was relative about your answer?
Re: Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome by dokie: 10:31pm On Mar 28, 2013
frosbel:

Don't pray your Pagan prayers for me, I reject them all.

I am neither a Jehovah Witness nor a 7th day Adventist.
I did not mention Mary or any saint. I called on the Holy Spirit to bring understanding etc to the glory of God and in the name of Jesus and it is a pagan prayer to you? it just keeps getting clearer to me how unchristian you are, thats the only reason you will attack the catholic church the way you are doing. i am almost certain you are a product and a victim of a false prophet. what church do you attend, i want to know. at least if catholics should leave their church based on ur exposè, a good place to start considering fellowshipping should be your church. what do you think? or you dont belong to any church?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can A Good Atheist Make Heaven? / What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? / Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.