Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? (8227 Views)

Metuh’s Torn Statement Linked Jonathan To N400m – EFCC / Arms Deal Probe: PDP Torn Into 4 Factions / Lawmaker's Cloth Torn After The Fight At The National Assembly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Nobody: 12:48am On Mar 29, 2013
We experience this quite often.

But i noticed most parts of northern nigeria do not reject money unlike southern.

It's worse with the polymer notes. 'Cause most of them get faded easily.

What is your reason for such rejection? Is it legal?
Does naira notes lose their function as legal tender,once they're torn?

Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Nobody: 2:26am On Mar 29, 2013
Fading Polymer Naira Notes Face Rejection Published on March 11, 2013 by · No Comments

On 28 February, 2007 when the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, announced the introduction of polymer versions of 5, 10, 20, and 50 naira notes, many citizens hailedthe novel idea.

Six years after, however, many Nigerians are now rejecting the polymer currency notes, either because it is faded to the point it can no longer be spent, or it shrinks after a while.

The CBN, under its former governor, Chukwuma Soludo, had in 2008, first unveiled the 20 naira polymer note, to test its acceptance by the public.

Nigeria’s polymer currencies fading

Nigerians warmly welcomed the new note and exchanged it with the old paper note inthe same denomination, which was gradually phased out.

It was Soludo’s successor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, who, eventually, in 2009, released the remaining 5, 10 and 50 naira versions of the polymer currency.

But that policy decision of introducing the polymer bank notes is now being rued by many citizens, given the poor quality and short life span of the currency note, made of polythene.

In buses, stores, and markets, many people now reject some of the polymer notes, either because the currency features printed on them have faded out, or have so shrunk they look ugly.

“Government should have left us with the old paper naira that we are used to. Even after prolonged use, it (paper note) only gets dirty or torn; and one can still piece it together with an adhesive tape.

“Unlike this one (polymer) that fades out easily that you cannot even recognise again,” lamented Mrs. Okon, a fruit seller in Ikeja GRA, Lagos.

A bus driver on the Ketu-Berger route in Lagos also complained of the poor quality ofthe polymer notes.

“My conductor regularly quarrels with passengers who sometimes reject the faded notes, even though some other passengers were the ones who gave us the worn out notes.

“Government should just phase them out and let us return to the old paper notes,” advised the commuter bus operator.

It is not just the citizens who have issues with the polymer notes.

The CBN itself has recently admitted the currency was no longer sustainable. For that, it announced it would no longer issue bank notes on polymer, citing higher costs and “environmental issues”.

The apex bank also decries the fact that Securency International Pty Limited, the Australian firm, which prints the polymer notes, holds the patents and rights to the currency notes.

The CBN, according to Tunde Lemo, its Deputy Governor, Operations, has thus resolved to cease printing the naira in polymer notes to end the monopoly of Securency.

“Securency is the only producer of polymer currency in the world and so the CBN has been resorting to single sorting for bank note.

“This, we think, is not good for the country. Even though the plan is to coin N5, N10 and N20, the N50 note will be converted to paper currency.

“However, if Nigerians show preference for retaining the N5, N10 and N20 in banknotesinstead of coins, it shall no longer be in polymer,” Lemo told reporters last year.

The CBN official also said the destruction of bank notes made of polymer has proved to be a challenge in Nigeria, due to environmental constraints.

source
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by omicron(m): 8:59am On Mar 29, 2013
Money shouldnt lose its functions just cause its partially torn. In the North this is not done. In Katsina you can spend two different halves of same denomination joined together..and no one looks at it twice. However in the East, sometimes money gets rejected even when its like 5milimeter torn. So it's more of what obtains in a particular community.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 29, 2013
It surprises me how the southerners reject notes. What makes the northerners treat such naira notes differently...does it have anything to do with culture??

1 Like

Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Tolexander: 4:45pm On Mar 29, 2013
A torn or fade on a bill has no effect on its financial or monetary power but a reduction in its facial quality.

Faded bills spoil swaggs mehn! Most especially when trying to impress the new chics.
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by devigblegble: 4:54pm On Mar 29, 2013
Some people culture , lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Popowaa: 4:55pm On Mar 29, 2013
I made first page
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Imprida(f): 4:55pm On Mar 29, 2013
It does not like nice
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by vizboy(m): 4:55pm On Mar 29, 2013
People like new things
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Emyogalanya: 4:57pm On Mar 29, 2013
I collect any money
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by GalaxyNoteII: 4:59pm On Mar 29, 2013
devigblegble: Some people culture , lipsrsealed
Popowaa: I made first page
Imprida: It does not like nice
vizboy: People like new things
Emyogalanya: I collect any money

Not by force to post

7 Likes

Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by 80million1: 5:00pm On Mar 29, 2013
why u no fit wear torn or faded t shirt?
Oya, answer me OP!

1 Like

Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Idowuogbo(f): 5:00pm On Mar 29, 2013
Galaxy.Note.II:

Not by force to post
grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by devigblegble: 5:00pm On Mar 29, 2013
Whatever
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by pendusky(m): 5:01pm On Mar 29, 2013
So far its not fake, take it to any bank... I do change such in my bank, its CBN properties, they cant deny them...

1 Like

Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 29, 2013
I don't accept torn money because I know that no one will accept it when I want to use it to purchase something.

1 Like

Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by fankasibe: 5:02pm On Mar 29, 2013
if u want my own opinion on this life-changing question, i suggest u log onto stupid_question.com
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Ifedechidex: 5:03pm On Mar 29, 2013
I reject it because other people reject it and i cant spend it
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by sammyyoung2(m): 5:03pm On Mar 29, 2013
NEXT........
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by kikelomah(f): 5:03pm On Mar 29, 2013
Its jst a reductn in its facial quality n nothg more.
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Francheezy(m): 5:04pm On Mar 29, 2013
NAIRA IZ NAIRA
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 29, 2013
I reject it because of the old market women i patronize. . . They started it grin
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by outrage: 5:11pm On Mar 29, 2013
Taraba is worse than any other place in this country, it doesn't matter how it is they will collect it. I was given one I had to keep it, not that I couldn't spend it but just as art.

I'll check for the pic and upload it later.

1 Like

Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by fitzmayowa: 5:13pm On Mar 29, 2013
Popowaa: I made first page
**Start dancing alingo joor** grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Sicozone(m): 5:13pm On Mar 29, 2013
See question oooo....God deliver us by FIRE 4rm d power of unanswerable question on NL
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 29, 2013
Once at 1st bank, d teller told me he wouldn't take a torn note.

Oh well...

Lemme gather my torn notes... Maybe one day, i'll head north.
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by sol2galay: 5:19pm On Mar 29, 2013
If anyone reject ton or faded currency report that person to police,because it is a legal tender meant for exchange no one uses it for decoration.
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by cyara(f): 5:22pm On Mar 29, 2013
I reject it because no one will accept it from me. This is worse here in the east, no matter how the money is as long as it isn't shiny, it won't be accepted
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by crackhaus: 5:22pm On Mar 29, 2013
centje: It surprises me how the southerners reject notes. What makes the northerners treat such naira notes differently...does it have anything to do with culture??
Its in their nature to make do with laxity... no one should quote me oo, na so my mind just feel
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by ektbear: 5:26pm On Mar 29, 2013
Maybe a better question is, why would one accept a torn or faded note?

Why accept worn notes when you can equally demand fresh-looking ones?
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 29, 2013
Torn notes are fine in the north cause the bombs break them. tongue
Re: Why Do you Reject Torn Or Faded Naira note? by crackhaus: 5:28pm On Mar 29, 2013
sol2galay: If anyone reject ton or faded currency report that person to police,because it is a legal tender meant for exchange no one uses it for decoration.

shocked shocked shocked
undecided undecided
cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Confirms 15 Resident Electoral Commissioners, 12 Others Pending / FG To Establish Free Trade Zone In Ekiti / Boko Haram Gives Terms For Negotiation With FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.