Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

Good Friday. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Good Friday. (4504 Views)

Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? / Good Friday Crucifixion Of Jesus In Nigeria / Eating Meat On Good Friday! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 4:39am On Mar 29, 2013
WHAT IS GOOD FRIDAY?

Good Friday is a religious holiday observed primarily by Christians commemorating the CRUCIFIXION and DEATH of Jesus Christ at Calvary. (Matthew 26:31 & Matthew 27:1-end).
The Church treats Good Friday as a fast day, which in the Latin Rite of the Church is understood as having ONLY ONE FULL MEAL or TWO SMALL MEALS. It is also a day on
which the faithful ABSTAIN FROM MEAT, ABSTAIN FROM MEAT, ABSTAIN FROM MEAT!(ALL FORMS OF MEAT). The church recommends this fasting for EVERYBODY within the ages of 18-59years. In other words it is OBLIGATORY for those within this age bracket except for those who can't make it on the grounds of ill-health, pregnancy, mannual labour, or any other SERIOUS ISSUE(not flimsy excuses). Abstinence from meat is for those from 14yrs & above. #Anyone who doesn't fall within the age bracket but is SURE he can partake in thie Fasting and Abstinence is encouraged to do so#. REMEMBER: FASTING WITHOUT PRAYER IS MERE STARVATION;BE SURE TO HAVE YOUR INTENTIONS OF PRAYER AS YOU FAST. Fasting and Abstinence is a reminder of what it means to suffer. This can not be compared in any way to what our Lord suffered for us. Therefore it is not to be met with misery but with great joy as we better understand the incredible sacrifice Christ made for humanity. The celebrations of today are usually kicked off by dramatic 'Stations of the Cross'(Passion of Christ). THERE IS NO MASS IN THE CHURCH TODAY.(This is the only day the church doesn't celebrate mass). What is celebrated is the Communion Service of the Passion of our Lord. You'll notice that the altar will be BARE without decorations except when it's time for communion. (At this point a white cloth is spread on the altar). The bells are also SILENT today with a clapper as substitute.

LITURGY:
The liturgy consists of three parts: the Liturgy of the Word, the Veneration of the Cross, and Holy Communion. The Liturgy of the word is taken as usual. It ends with intercessory prayers for various intentions to which we kneel and stand repeatedly. The unveiling of the crucifixes which were covered up two sundays ago comes next. After the unveiling comes the veneration-kissing of the cross.
The Holy Communion rites begin with 'Our Father'. The consecrated host of the Lord's supper on Holy Thursday is what is distributed to the faithful. After this, the priest and people then depart in silence, and the altar cloth is
removed, leaving the altar bare except for the cross and two or four candlesticks.

...and he said: "IT IS FINISHED"... Let us all make this day a day of SOBER REFLECTION. This is indeed supposed to be a day of GREAT SORROW. But because we know that HIS DEATH brings us LIFE.....we are GREATFUL. Hence the name-GOOD FRIDAY. It should have been a BAD FRIDAY. Do not worry much brethren, He'll rise again on sunday. Shalom!

3 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 4:48am On Mar 29, 2013
Passion play by a group of Romans

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 4:50am On Mar 29, 2013
The agony in the Garden of Gethsamane

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 4:51am On Mar 29, 2013
The scourging at the pillar

2 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 4:53am On Mar 29, 2013
...and he wore a crown of thorns for our sake.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 4:55am On Mar 29, 2013
He carried His cross...and admonishes us to do the same with him. Everyday

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 4:59am On Mar 29, 2013
He fell three times on his way to die for you and for me.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 5:01am On Mar 29, 2013
He met his loving mother on the way.

2 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 5:03am On Mar 29, 2013
He was in sooooooo much pain. The soldiers thought He'll die before they get to Calvary. So they forced Simon of Cyrene to carry the cross.

2 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 5:05am On Mar 29, 2013
He sweated and dripped of blood so much that when Veronica wiped his face, there were imprints of blood there.

2 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 5:07am On Mar 29, 2013
The women of Jerusalem weep for our Lord.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 5:10am On Mar 29, 2013
Jesus is stripped of his garments. So shall we stripped off anything that is not pleasing to God, in the name of Jesus.

2 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 5:14am On Mar 29, 2013
Jesus is NAILED to the cross

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by Ivynwa(f): 5:16am On Mar 29, 2013
Good effort Richieboy.
I got ministered to by your thread. Thanks
Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 5:16am On Mar 29, 2013
"IT IS FINISHED".

2 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 5:18am On Mar 29, 2013
Jesus is taken down from the cross and laid in the arms of his Blessed Mother.

2 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 5:20am On Mar 29, 2013
He was buried in the tomb. And all departed sorrowfully away.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by Richieboyn: 5:33am On Mar 29, 2013
"I'll be right back(BRB) in 3days from now. But they all laughed out loud at him(LOL). We thank God we'll be the ones to have the last laugh on Sunday.

3 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by delkuf(m): 6:22am On Mar 29, 2013
With all dis he through, i dont see y pple shld not accept Him
Re: Good Friday. by Nobody: 6:58am On Mar 29, 2013
Dear Father,

Light of the world who stepped down into darkness, in whom my hope is found, now and for years to come, take to the cross with you my pride, attitude, lousiness, ailments, woes, bitchiness, sickness and shame.
As you rise up on the 3rd day, grant me life renewed, a better sense of purpose, fulfillment and contentment.
Thank you Lord.

5 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by italo: 8:34am On Mar 29, 2013
Amen.
Re: Good Friday. by italo: 8:42am On Mar 29, 2013
Jesus dies for love of us...we must die for love of him.

We might not all be granted the glorious privilege of shedding our blood for his sake...but if we die to sin and deaden ourselves to the world...if we mortify our flesh everyday and every moment...we are indeed dying for love of him.

May the Lord strengthen us by his passion and glorify us at the end by his ressurection. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by italo: 8:44am On Mar 29, 2013
Do not forget to participate actively in the liturgy of the triduum, if you are Catholic.

This is the most solemn period in the Church's liturgical calender.

God bless you.
Re: Good Friday. by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 29, 2013
With all he went through,its funny how catholics neglect him to pray to his mother mary that couldnt do anything to save him.

*SUSPECTED TRUTH SPOKEN*

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by ajos(m): 8:58am On Mar 29, 2013
JESUS CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS,SO THAT
ME & U WOULD HAV ETERNAL
SALVATION.....
HALLELUYAH....I AM SAVED.....

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by ichidodo: 8:59am On Mar 29, 2013
Even if no meat, at least work no dey today.Happy Good Friday!
Re: Good Friday. by koksybrown: 8:59am On Mar 29, 2013
I still dont understand why its termed "Good Friday"
Re: Good Friday. by GentleNaaz(m): 9:01am On Mar 29, 2013
As christ died on a day lik ds, so wl ur difficulties die! If u have faith in jesus christ, click LIKE 2 say AMEN

3 Likes

Re: Good Friday. by jhydebaba(m): 9:01am On Mar 29, 2013
Today, he said "it is finish". I use this as a point of contact and decree that every of our worries shall come to an end today.

It is finish for every of our enemies.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday. by DJDOLA(m): 9:02am On Mar 29, 2013
PLS IS THAT REAL JESUS CHRIST?......
Re: Good Friday. by deols(f): 9:03am On Mar 29, 2013
I have headache. It is not a good friday to me sad angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

As A Christian, Going To Church Is Not Important At All / Muslim Murders Wife For Reading Bible / What If At The End Of It All We Discover Theres No God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.