Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,009 members, 7,814,443 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (124) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1492969 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:42am On Jan 25, 2015
excelsiorfarm:
which biz doesnt have its challenges,when any claim none,know he or she is lying or not doing d biz. only a persistent person does biz
I like the word PERSISTENT, one has to be indefatigable in fish farming.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 7:54am On Jan 25, 2015
excelsiorfarm:
which biz doesnt have its challenges,when any claim none,know he or she is lying or not doing d biz. only a persistent person does biz
God bless you sir, I'm indeed grateful
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:07am On Jan 25, 2015
aquadude15:

Bros I meant I have a capacity to accommodate 100k fingerlings, its not everytime I get up to that quantity sir. Happy sunday and God bless

oh now I get.. thanks for the reply and happy Sunday
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cdoffx(m): 12:51pm On Jan 25, 2015
I give 3 hearty cheers to all the ogas on this thread.
Pls i need your advice as i am at a crossroad now and am finishing service next month.
last year August i started this catfish biz because i dont want to go back home idle after service. a friend who has a big farm allowed me to use two concrete tanks free. but after 4months of rearing i sold at loss. i started wit 500fishes due mortality from sickness i was only able to get 300+ and they didnt even grow big averagely about 4 makes 1kg infact some are so small that about 126pieces only weighed 20kg. it was blamed on the fish specie by my other guy who uses the farm on rentage. he said they are hollandis that they dont grow.

Nov 15 i bought 1000 post fingerlings/juvenile @30naira from this guy. a month afta there was disease outbreak whereby there tail peels till the bones is showing i lost about 400fishes but put it under control by mixing Fish Cure with their feed right now about 275 weighs around 150-250gm nd 320 weighin around 75-150gm. so far they are on the 5 and half bags. that is approximately 2 and half months now.

my question is considering the number of months, is the growth proportionate to the bags eaten. secondly is the bags eaten enough for the number so far because the guy said to get fish 1kg and above for 1000fish, one must feed 60bags in about 4months.

tank size is 6 by 15ft(500/tank), water pH is ranging from 4.5-5.5.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 12:52pm On Jan 25, 2015
Belexy:

The minimum profit could be ZERO profit.
Its important you should knw dat fish farming is not an automatic instant money spinning business. Its possible for someone to dive in and come out wt fingers seriously burnt. Tread carefully, expand gradually, understand the market in ur area, minimise cost, and overall learn frm other fish farmers. Develope a passion for fish farming and dnt focus on d 'expected millions' and u wont fail.
Wow! This is quite professional. I would like you to pls give the expected average profit to maximum realisable.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayoola190: 3:14pm On Jan 25, 2015
I just dug an earthen pond beside a stream to start a fish farming business. How do I make it flow through or is it flow through already?

Pictures attached below
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayoola190: 3:23pm On Jan 25, 2015
seems I cant post picture.

An unexpected error has occurred. Sorry about this.

*MODIFIED*
I have to reduce the size.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 4:45pm On Jan 25, 2015
cdoffx:
Pls i need your advice as i am at a crossroad now and am finishing service next month.
last year August i started this catfish biz because i dont want to go back home idle after service. a friend who has a big farm allowed me to use two concrete tanks free. but after 4months of rearing i sold at loss. i started wit 500fishes due mortality from sickness i was only able to get 300+ and they didnt even grow big averagely about 4 makes 1kg infact some are so small that about 126pieces only weighed 20kg. it was blamed on the fish specie by my other guy who uses the farm on rentage. he said they are hollandis that they dont grow.

Nov 15 i bought 1000 post fingerlings/juvenile @30naira from this guy. a month afta there was disease outbreak whereby there tail peels till the bones is showing i lost about 400fishes but put it under control by mixing Fish Cure with their feed right now about 275 weighs around 150-250gm nd 320 weighin around 75-150gm. so far they are on the 5 and half bags. that is approximately 2 and half months now.

my question is considering the number of months, is the growth proportionate to the bags eaten. secondly is the bags eaten enough for the number so far because the guy said to get fish 1kg and above for 1000fish, one must feed 60bags in about 4months.

ehhhh ehh bro av read all through ooooooo pls try and sort them and pls if uploading of pics is needed pls upload it here .in as much u are using concrete tank try and sort them out oooooo u can sort them from d smaller one from d bigger one hmmmmmm.we are family here ready to help when u need it.pls try this link it will be of help to u it's WWW.agricnetwork.com it's been runned by coach robonski happy fish farming ooooooo pls don't loose hope ooooooo.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 5:09pm On Jan 25, 2015
cdoffx:

try and post d pics of d tanks to us and which kind of feeds are u using hmmmmm not only that pls try and get weighing balance to be weighing d big one when it's time to be sorted u are most welcome to this thread .d consultant in d house will answer u oooooooo try and get their phone numbers for direct charting about d development of ur fish oooooo .happy farming brother.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 6:06pm On Jan 25, 2015
ayoola190:
I just dug an earthen pond beside a stream to start a fish farming business. How do I make it flow through or is it flow through already?

Pictures attached below
use plumbing pipes to do flow through and of it moves to d extreme to d stream pls make this heaps of this pond big Cos' of d flood when rain comes.upload d pix of d place here so that we will make amendment when necessary happy farming.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 6:19pm On Jan 25, 2015
ayoola190:
seems I cant post picture.

An unexpected error has occurred. Sorry about this.

*MODIFIED*
I have to reduce the size.
waoooo this is great try and dig d streams very well and this period is dry season try and do it on time flow through is good because of the dry season and pls clear d surrounding of d pond and if u av anti snake seed plant so that to pursue d reptiles away from d pond.try and put d sandbags u put to other side of d pond to d surrounding of d pond where d water won't penetrate inside d pond when rain comes happy farming. weld one.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cdoffx(m): 6:55pm On Jan 25, 2015
Johnnyessence:
try and post d pics of d tanks to us and which kind of feeds are u using hmmmmm not only that pls try and get weighing balance to be weighing d big one when it's time to be sorted u are most welcome to this thread .d consultant in d house will answer u oooooooo try and get their phone numbers for direct charting about d development of ur fish oooooo .happy farming brother.
KK i will try and upload pix.as for the sorting. i have already sorted them into 2tanks according to the sizes i gave above.

for feeding i feed them first one and half month with zeigler taking 3bags of zeigler and now vital feed.

And pls i want to ask that Ablx about the way he feeds. is it by body weight you feed? like say at 20gm body weight then feed 6%body weight.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bettymygirl(f): 2:22am On Jan 26, 2015
Hello Gurus in the house, please I need your help on this as it is urgent!

Supposing I want to grow 10,000 fishes to melange size,
1. What's the size of concrete pond / ponds that'll contain the above number
2. The amount and cost of feed that'll be sufficient till that size (how many months too)
3. At maturity (in the melange size), how much is one sold for (irrespective of location, just estimate), how many pieces make up a kilo and how much it goes for.
4. If I choose to sell them dried, how many kilo will come out of 10,000 melange size of fish and how much does a kilo of dried fish go for?

Please help out a sister, thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 26, 2015
bettymygirl:

2. The amount and cost of feed that'll be sufficient till that size (how many months too)
3. At maturity (in the melange size), how much is one sold for (irrespective of location, just estimate), how many pieces make up a kilo and how much it goes for.
4. If I choose to sell them dried, how many kilo will come out of 10,000 melange size of fish and how much does a kilo of dried fish go for?

i rather would say you start less for experience if you are a starter however am sure the gurus will help you out.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 3:40pm On Jan 26, 2015
olubankemi:

i rather would say you start less for experience if you are a starter however am sure the gurus will help you out.
waoooo women are now going to agriculture this is great.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 26, 2015
hello guys,

i promised to answer some questions you guys asked me when i visit the farm.

the size of the pond is 15x50
i am going for 2000 fish.
want to grow it to table size.
he is selling the juvenile for N25
he said i might need a second pond cos of sorting
i am paying for labour cost of 6000 monthly, 3000 for borehole (monthly)
i am using zeigler feed for three months and vital for finishing (i chose this option cos of what i have learn here)
zeigler feed was calculated at 5400 (is this true?).said cos of dollar the price has increased.
i am using earthen pond (though i prefer concrete pond).

now, he said i will need more or less than 100 bags to feed them to finishing at 6 months but said if i truly maintain their feed using zeigler for three months that my fish can weigh more than 1kg at 5months. now he said for other he is helping they fail to supply their feed and expect their fish to grow in bigger sizes in a litte time.

my problem now is, he doesn't change his own fish water on time. they look dirty but they are doing well, i saw some at less than three months and they are big in fact, if na me i for don dey eat them oo. (permit me i beg, i go dey taste those fish small small before market time oo).

now, from juvenile, is it true its possible you loose 15% of your fishes? he said i should not think of getting the whole of 2000 fishes cos of mortality (though he said there are times one loose like 10 fishes but he doesn't want me to believe non will die).

i will be visiting weekly and all the sorting time will be don weekend when i am around so that i can count my fish too.

please which i most preferred? earthen pond or concrete pond?

advise also anyway you can from my post.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 4:01pm On Jan 26, 2015
olubankemi:
hello guys,

i promised am some questions you guys asked me.

i am using zeigler feed for three months and vital for finishing (i chose this option cos of what i have learn here)
zeigler feed was calculated at 5400 (is this true?).said cos of dollar the price has increased.

now, he said i will need more or less than 100 bags to feed them to finishing at 6 months but said if i truly maintain their feed using zeigler for three months that my fish can weigh more than 1kg at 5months. now he said for other he is helping they fail to supply their feed and expect their fish to grow in bigger sizes in a litte time.

my problem now is, he doesn't change his own fish water on time. they look dirty but they are doing well, i saw some at less than three months and they are big in fact, if na me i for don dey eat them oo. (permit me i beg, i go dey taste those fish small small before market time oo).

now, from juvenile, is it true its possible you loose 15% of your fishes? he said i should not think of getting the whole of 2000 fishes cos of mortality (though he said there are times one loose like 10 fishes but he doesn't want me to believe non will die).

i will be visiting weekly and all the sorting time will be don weekend when i am around so that i can count my fish too.

Yes, it is very true there will be mortality, however, he is probably losing a huge number cos of poor water management . . . I am sure your mortality wont be as high as his with good water management and listening to all the ogas on this thread . . . .Good luck
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 26, 2015
Johnnyessence:
waoooo women are now going to agriculture this is great.

Hola ha
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 26, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Yes, it is very true there will be mortality, however, he is probably losing a huge number cos of poor water management . . . I am sure your mortality wont be as high as his with good water management and listening to all the ogas on this thread . . . .Good luck

thank you. so much.

more advise are welcome.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 26, 2015
one more thing, he is giving me more 100 juvenile, he said the usual practice is customers get 50 fish per 1000 so you get 1050 instead of 1000, now he will give me 2100 juvenile fish instead of 2000.

is that it? does other hatcheries give more than this?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 6:14pm On Jan 26, 2015
olubankemi:
one more thing, he is giving me more 100 juvenile, he said the usual practice is customers get 50 fish per 1000 so you get 1050 instead of 1000, now he will give me 2100 juvenile fish instead of 2000.

For juveniles, some give 20 only
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 6:36pm On Jan 26, 2015
olubankemi:

My goodness, why should u lose 15% of ur fishes shocked shocked
Dats damn too much. Moreso, u are stocking juveniles which are now more stable. Definitely u will loose some fish but definitely not 15% unless theres a disease out break or so. 15% of ur 2000 fishes is 300 fishes angry if na me and i hear dat, i will run abeg. Another thing, u said, he doesn't change his own fish water on time, they look dirty but they are doing well. Well d water might look 'dirty', doesnt mean its polluted. If u use vital feed or even local feed, it colours d water. Doesnt mean its 'dirty'. Try and find out the exact price of ziegler.

#since u are around, i think u shd take a more active role in managing ur pond. Dnt leave everything to d man. Theres nothing as good as running ur business urself and at d same time u will learn alot.

#and as i always say, profit is not automatic, instant and definite in fish farming so dont get to carried away by wat d man might have told u.

#i wish u success and God's favour in this endeavour. U will come back here wt beautiful inspiring stories.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:18pm On Jan 26, 2015
bettymygirl:

1.Five 10 by 10 with 5 feet depth
2.budget #120 per one for three months.
3. #350 - #380

Get more info on melange farming www.agricnetwork.com

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 26, 2015
Thank you very much @ Belexy.

Hmmm, do you think he is giving me that 15% mortality for his own gain? I strongly perceive that.

Though he said that with a clause. That the most lose in fish is not greater than 15%.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bettymygirl(f): 4:46am On Jan 27, 2015
robonski15:

1.Five 10 by 10 with 5 feet depth
2.budget #120 per one for three months.
3. #350 - #380

Get more info on melange farming www.agricnetwork.com

OK thanks man.
Please how many melange is in one kilo?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 9:38am On Jan 27, 2015
olubankemi:
Thank you very much @ Belexy.

Hmmm, do you think he is giving me that 15% mortality for his own gain? I strongly perceive that.

Though he said that with a clause. That the most lose in fish is not greater than 15%.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed The most loss is not 15% but rather 100%. U can lose the whole stock sef. It can happen but God forbid such bad luck happens. I have lost a thousand fishes within 1 week due to disease outbreak. If at all he wants to gain anything, it will be on ur fish feed since u are not feeding ur fishes urself. This are just assumptions im making, lets give d man d benefit of d doubt; he might actually be a very honest straight forward man and dat 15% mortality he quoted might be taking into consideration so many other factors.
Is there any particular reason why u dnt want to take an active role in managing ur farm?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:38am On Jan 27, 2015
olubankemi:
hello guys,

i promised to answer some questions you guys asked me when i visit the farm.

mgt is key, there are no specific mortality %, can be as low as 3-5%, can be as high as 100%, get involve,except it is just to catch fun. Earthen pond is preferable to concrete, but you are more in control of factors affecting your fishes if u use concrete, though growth rate in earthen ponds with good aeration in its soil pores will beat concrete. For d dirt, water being greenish isnt really a conclusion that it is dirty, offensive odor from clearer ponds shows that d considered clear pond needs change i.e. Polluted or soon d fishes will begin to die

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:01pm On Jan 27, 2015
cdoffx:

d truth is your water mgt is bad, creates diseases & such outbreak, also inhibit fishes from feeding right, worst of it is it can stop growth or make u have stunted fishes. Work on having good water mgt & when next u have such challenges, sell as melange or smoke them to minimise lose.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cdoffx(m): 12:27pm On Jan 27, 2015
excelsiorfarm:
d truth is your water mgt is bad, creates diseases & such outbreak, also inhibit fishes from feeding right, worst of it is it can stop growth or make u have stunted fishes. Work on having good water mgt & when next u have such challenges, sell as melange or smoke them to minimise lose.
tnks so much for your response. as per water management... i run my water almost everyday because we have a steady borehole in the farm. but i jus discovered is that it seems while i run the water to keep the pond refreshed the bottom part dont get clean enough so i started flusing out the water completely before filling again like every 3days.

as per the feeding, if 250naira should take a fingerling/juvenile to tablesize meaning 250thousand for a thousand fish. is it right to say that approximately 50bags of feed is what they will consume to tablesize.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 1:07pm On Jan 27, 2015
Fhemmmy:

for ur sorting method concrete pond is most preferable in as much u will sorting on week basis concrete pond is more preferable.pls post pics of d latest development of d fish ooooooooo .happy farming ooooooo.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:33pm On Jan 27, 2015
cdoffx:

tnks so much for your response. as per water management... i run my water almost everyday because we have a steady borehole in the farm. but i jus discovered is that it seems while i run the water to keep the pond refreshed the bottom part dont get clean enough so i started flusing out the water completely before filling again like every 3days.

as per the feeding, if 250naira should take a fingerling/juvenile to tablesize meaning 250thousand for a thousand fish. is it right to say that approximately 50bags of feed is what they will consume to tablesize.
most feed (all just) FCR is between 0.9-1.3kg of feed will give u 1kg of fish, about mgt , it goes beyond letting in & out of water in ponds, it also entails feeding, u can change water now & u pollute it with over feeding before evening & another might change weekly(mobile or concrete) & still not get d water polluted before d next change. Whether u buy your fish seeds from d best or not,feed d best feeds or not, water mgt is key. Every act of disease is as a result of dirt tank, pollution,stress etc

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 1:45pm On Jan 27, 2015
Belexy:

My goodness, why should u lose 15% of ur fishes shocked shocked
Dats damn too much. Moreso, u are stocking juveniles which are now more stable. Definitely u will loose some fish but definitely not 15% unless theres a disease out break or so. 15% of ur 2000 fishes is 300 fishes angry if na me and i hear dat, i will run abeg. Another thing, u said, he doesn't change his own fish water on time, they look dirty but they are doing well. Well d water might look 'dirty', doesnt mean its polluted. If u use vital feed or even local feed, it colours d water. Doesnt mean its 'dirty'. Try and find out the exact price of ziegler.

#since u are around, i think u shd take a more active role in managing ur pond. Dnt leave everything to d man. Theres nothing as good as running ur business urself and at d same time u will learn alot.

#and as i always say, profit is not automatic, instant and definite in fish farming so dont get to carried away by wat d man might have told u.

#i wish u success and God's favour in this endeavour. U will come back here wt beautiful inspiring stories.
if it's concrete pond try to tell him if worker want to stock he must wash d concrete very well probably with salt and ash .juveniles will do well in d concrete pond Cos' if d pond is neat and their is sorting in d process .in as much ur place is not far to d location of ur pond try and be going to d place .post pics of d development of d juveniles. d reason why d concrete pond do dirty is because of how they do feed them .feed them in one spot and if u starting with 2mm feed with them just pour small tin of feed for them ooo .pls don't pour much feed to them ooooooo Cos' they are still small.

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.