Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (162) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1493345 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 9:20pm On May 29, 2015
dkings101:

Indomie 19
Ffs 13
GNC 15
Fish meal 65% 19
Semo 14
Dcp 0.1
Premix 0.3
Lysine 0.08
Salt 0.2
Methionine 0.08
Vit c 0.1
Minovit One small bottle

@robonski15 abeg help me check my formular

How old are the fishes dat are eating this?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dkings101(m): 10:41pm On May 29, 2015
Belexy:

More than 2 n 4 month old.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 7:15am On May 30, 2015
Johnnyessence:
pls give ur contact number again i was unable to chart on whatsapp thks.

08038116954 sori for replying late I just see d msg nw. thks bro
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by walexy001: 7:49am On May 30, 2015
I'm new here and I need a comprehensive lecture on cat fish rearing pls
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:59am On May 30, 2015
Belexy:

Yeah, thats d major problem associated wt local feed. I also experience it sometimes . Alot of residues, water pollution and the likes. Make sure they grind the ingredients very well for u. Also fishes dnt digest carbohydrates well, dey pass out alot as waste and d water smells coz d waste ferments. What formula are you using?

Does it also happen with buiscuit or indomie as carbohydrate in d mix? Was it pelleted?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 8:03am On May 30, 2015
mercylicious:
more pics. the farm is undergoing expansion.

gud morin pls can I hav ur no and ur whatsapp no mine is 08038116954. thks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:08am On May 30, 2015
Belexy:

Plz what is the crude protein requirement of different ages of catfish. Heard the older they are, the less d % protein required.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:11am On May 30, 2015
cross234:

gud morin pls can I hav ur no and ur whatsapp no mine is 08038116954. thks

I will wassap u now. But note that am a newbie.
You better get contacts from veterans like robonski, Abix, juve etc.
Robonski ' s contribution to catfish farming amongst nairaland is unquantifiable . I won't be surprised if he is given a national award in not too distant time.

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by samshoz(m): 9:08am On May 30, 2015
Great farmers, am still searching for a standard
farm for a female friend? She has been to Obasanjo farm already but
nothing yet. She read Agricultural Economics and extension.
Can anyone help?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:48am On May 30, 2015
mercylicious:

Plz what is the crude protein requirement of different ages of catfish. Heard the older they are, the less d % protein required.

Protein content of fish decreases as the fish gets larger.
2mm 45-50%
3mm and 4mm 42-48%
6mm, 8mm 35-40%

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dkings101(m): 1:03pm On May 30, 2015
robonski15:

Protein content of fish decreases as the fish gets larger.
2mm 45-50%
3mm and 4mm 42-48%
6mm, 8mm 35-40%

www.agricnetwork.com

My Oga...review my composition pls. Thanks.
dkings101:

Indomie 19
Ffs 13
GNC 15
Fish meal 65% 19
Semo 14
Dcp 0.1
Premix 0.3
Lysine 0.08
Salt 0.2
Methionine 0.08
Vit c 0.1
Minovit One small bottle
@robonski15 abeg help me check my formular
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:40pm On May 30, 2015
dkings101:

How old are the fishes??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:47pm On May 30, 2015
walexy001:
I'm new here and I need a comprehensive lecture on cat fish rearing pls
Read this thread from page 0 you will have enough info.. also go to www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dkings101(m): 6:08pm On May 30, 2015
robonski15:

How old are the fishes??

My Oga...good day sir.
They r 4-5 month and I also feed it to 2 month old fish too and they pick it (only doing this due to lack of finance to purchase the 72% feed meal).

I also made some research on higher protein for aquaculture and I noticed Poultry protein meal (Hydrolyzed Poultry Feather Meal) is very high in protein 81% and it's also used in aquaculture.

I guess this is the protein meal I was introduced to by my local feed meal. I hope to add it in my next formula and see how fast my fish grows.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 2:03pm On May 31, 2015
How are we all doing and our businesses?

I heard top feed is very good and someone used it as a starter for his fish and In a month they responded well. Someone can try it as its pretty cheap.

Hmmm, yawa gas yesterday. I had to shout at the man helping me take care of my fishes. He is a thief. I narrated how he uses different feed to feed my fishes and won't even buy the amount of feed he should.

I paid for net and my fishes are four months old and he still hasn't net my pond. He said cos no rain, when my sister asked why he didn't net my pond he told her cos the fishes are bigger and no predator can kill or eat them. Such a lier. He lie so much.

I have handed my feed to another person to help feed my fishes pending when I will sell them next month end or first week in July.

I need a pond to rent now.

How often do one change earthen pond water? The water looks green and I need to pump it out for fresh water to come up. Or do you advise I leave it cos the rain is here?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by tinuolly(f): 5:13pm On May 31, 2015
Durante feeds are available at Abeokuta. Call. 07039397869 for more enquiries
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Abiola1016: 1:02pm On Jun 01, 2015
Hey guys.. please wht max catfish can i raise to table size in a 35x18x5ft concrete pond...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by infotainment(m): 5:22pm On Jun 01, 2015
my visit to aquashess fish farm in ilorin

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:24pm On Jun 01, 2015
olubankemi:
How are we all doing and our businesses?

I heard top feed is very good and someone used it as a starter for his fish and In a month they responded well. Someone can try it as its pretty cheap.

Hmmm, yawa gas yesterday. I had to shout at the man helping me take care of my fishes. He is a thief. I narrated how he uses different feed to feed my fishes and won't even buy the amount of feed he should.

I paid for net and my fishes are four months old and he still hasn't net my pond. He said cos no rain, when my sister asked why he didn't net my pond he told her cos the fishes are bigger and no predator can kill or eat them. Such a lier. He lie so much.

I have handed my feed to another person to help feed my fishes pending when I will sell them next month end or first week in July.

I need a pond to rent now.

How often do one change earthen pond water? The water looks green and I need to pump it out for fresh water to come up. Or do you advise I leave it cos the rain is here?

If I were you I will be planning to get rid of the farm attendant after this harvest.. Try and pump out the water for fresh one to come in and to also view the fishes closely.. Which location do you need a pond to rent? You have done well so far.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:30pm On Jun 01, 2015
dkings101:

good one, but the semo is what I have no idea of.. what is the semo substituting??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jun 01, 2015
@all,
Can predators attack fish DT is months old and over?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 01, 2015
Does fish pond increase mosquitoes in d environment?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Matt2020(m): 9:57pm On Jun 01, 2015
mercylicious:
Does fish pond increase mosquitoes in d environment?

It is not likely because the fish will eat up their eggs in the pond but mosquitoes can reproduce through your water channels (especially if your exit pass through gutter) mostly if you are using earthen pond.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jun 01, 2015
robonski15:

If I were you I will be planning to get rid of the farm attendant after this harvest.. Try and pump out the water for fresh one to come in and to also view the fishes closely.. Which location do you need a pond to rent? You have done well so far.

You made me try. Thank you for your encouraging posts and advises.

I chose another person to help out and she call me daily for feedback.

I will pump the water out on Saturday by the special grace of God.

Please Robonski what do you say of local feed? Am using top feed now for finisher but my sister called yesterday to introduce to me a guy who does local feed for 3750 per 15kg meanwhile I buy top feed for 4000.

He said I should try his feed for two weeks and see the difference in my cat fish.

My sister said her boss divided his fishes into two categories. One pond do this guy's local feed and the other for other popular feeds. That truly the pond being feed with local feeds the fishes are bigger.

Please advise. I have like 6 weeks to harvest and am due to buy feed tomorrow so your advise is crucial at this moment.

As for the pond I need to rent, my husband said he will not allow me rent again until we move to our house. He want us to do it at our place where we can have full control so I won't be renting again.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 1:47am On Jun 02, 2015
olubankemi:

Please Robonski what do you say of local feed? Am using top feed now for finisher but my sister called yesterday to introduce to me a guy who does local feed for 3750 per 15kg meanwhile I buy top feed for 4000.

He said I should try his feed for two weeks and see the difference in my cat fish.

My sister said her boss divided his fishes into two categories. One pond do this guy's local feed and the other for other popular feeds. That truly the pond being feed with local feeds the fishes are bigger.

Please advise. I have like 6 weeks to harvest and am due to buy feed tomorrow so your advise is crucial at this moment.

As for the pond I need to rent, my husband said he will not allow me rent again until we move to our house. He want us to do it at our place where we can have full control so I won't be renting again.

Thank you.

It depends on the feed composition not necessary the amount, you can try it out and watch the difference.. your husband advice is a good based on the fact that u can oversee the farm operation.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dkings101(m): 9:03am On Jun 02, 2015
robonski15:

good one, but the semo is what I have no idea of.. what is the semo substituting??

I was told I shd introduce Semo to substitute the Indomie. Have you heard abt the poultry protein meal? My research online shws it contain 82% of protein and can be used for aquaculture. I am thinking of introducing it in my next formula and drop the 65% for 72% fish meal. So I wd be having 72% fish meal and 82% protein meal...Wish would aid quick and fast growth.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:10am On Jun 02, 2015
olubankemi:

Thank you.

I envy your passion and commitment and i pray success will be yours at the end of the day.

Now to your question, your harvest period will be 5month and 2weeks, dont you think it will affect your profit margin because of the additional feeds for that long period?

On the use of formulated feed, i think it can be used if you are using earthing pond that requires less management and attention compare to concrete pond that water management has become the prerequisite to bumper harvest.

Most of local formulated feeds either by Nigerian company or local feed miller are rich in protein but there shortcoming is that they pollute water easily compare to foreign feed. Once the water is polluted the feeding rate of the fish reduces thereby increasing your overall management cost without corresponding increase in weigh gain unless you are able to provide good water management system.

My submissions are:
1. You can use local feed provided you are using earthing pond and good water system.
2. Since your fish are already 4month they required less intake of protein and more of fat and energy food
3. Since your ultimate objective is to maximise profit, i think you should prepare to sell your fish the moment the average weight of your fish clock 1kg

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:14am On Jun 02, 2015
dkings101:

I was told I shd introduce Semo to substitute the Indomie. Have you heard abt the poultry protein meal? My research online shws it contain 82% of protein and can be used for aquaculture. I am thinking of introducing it in my next formula and drop the 65% for 72% fish meal. So I wd be having 75% fish meal and 82% protein meal...Wish would aid quick and fast growth.

Please what is the name of the poultry protein meal? Is it available at the poultry feed stores?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dkings101(m): 2:17pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ttalk:

Please what is the name of the poultry protein meal? Is it available at the poultry feed stores?

Poultry protein meal is what I was told and on my invoice which state all ingredients of items they sell, I can see an ingredient name W.Offal and my research on Offal is related to poultry I guess that's the protein meal.

My research on Offal...Offal means the internal organ remove from chicken during slaughter, they r grounded and milled in powered..u can do a Google research too on poultry protein meal.

I was also told by my local feed miller that the poultry protein meal is rich in protein and it cost N5k for a 5kg which is used to mix 1 tonne of feed. U can ask ur local poultry store for any protein meal they use for their feed which is rich in protein.

My Oga dem in the house, would there be any side effect on the fishes if protein meal in their feed is much?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jun 02, 2015
thank you so much Robonski and Ttalk.

will talk all your advises.

well and very well appreciated.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:31pm On Jun 02, 2015
dkings101:

Poultry protein meal is what I was told and on my invoice which state all ingredients of items they sell, I can see an ingredient name W.Offal and my research on Offal is related to poultry I guess that's the protein meal.

My research on Offal...Offal means the internal organ remove from chicken during slaughter, they r grounded and milled in powered..u can do a Google research too on poultry protein meal.

I was also told by my local feed miller that the poultry protein meal is rich in protein and it cost N5k for a 5kg which is used to mix 1 tonne of feed. U can ask ur local poultry store for any protein meal they use for their feed which is rich in protein.

My Oga dem in the house, would there be any side effect on the fishes if protein meal in their feed is much?

Offal is used as a good source of protein, but be warned that excessive use of it not minding the age of the fish can cause too much fat.. Note that some feedmill sell some diluted stuff and sell as offal. but mehn 5k for 5kg is much.. it will be better if you buy the chicken intestine separate and feed them since they are big enough.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:41pm On Jun 02, 2015
Water Quality Monitoring and Management for Catfish Ponds. PART 1

Any fish farmer that wants to record a high survival of fish and better growth in record time in their ponds must endeavour to pay good attention to pond water quality.

Understanding and predicting fish performance in ponds can be relatively difficult without the prior knowledge of how water parameters influence fish behaviour.

In the last couple of years, I have observed that most farmers that operate good ponds, stocked with the right quantity of fish seeds, still recorded huge losses even though they fed their fish very well.

This is due to poor knowledge of fish water chemistry.

Fish, unlike other animals, feed and defeacate inside the same water where they live and the quality of the water inside which they live directly affects feed efficiency, rate of growth, survival and the state of health of the fish.

When water quality depreciates, consumed feed is not properly converted into body flesh. Poor growth is recorded, fish survival is affected and ultimately massive fish kills may occur.

In fish production, key water quality parameters which need to be continually monitored are temperature, dissolved oxygen, pH, and ammonia.

Due to dynamics within the ponds, these parameters could change at short notices. I desire to share my experience and observation with fish farmers concerning the various ways in which the fluctuations of these water parameters could influence fish health, fish growth and fish survival.

Dissolved Oxygen (DO)

The relevance of monitoring the level of dissolved oxygen in ponds is very important. For the African catfish, a farmer should try as much as possible to maintain dissolved oxygen levels at between 4mg/liter to saturation levels in the pond.

Gas bubble disease can happen to the fish when DO levels are consistently too high and the water is super-saturated to well above 300 per cent. When DO level is consisitently between 1.5mg/liter to 5mg/liter, fish will be alive, but feed intake will reduce.

Growth rate will also reduce and high Feed Conversion Ratios (FCR) will be recorded. When DO levels are lower than 1.5mg/liter, fish will be stressed and they will die. The periods of achieving desired weights in fish will be lengthened and ultimate loss on investment will occur.

Infact, I can categorically emphasize that with consistently low levels of DO in ponds, the use of low quality feed might even be a waste of money.

This is simply because of the fact that fish breathe in oxygen for general body metabolism. DO is needed to help breakdown any potentially harmful metabolic waste into less harmful forms, e.g ammonia (NH3) broken down into nitrites (NO2) and then into nitrates (NO3).

www.agricnetwork.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.