Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,465 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (165) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1493585 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pharmsy: 10:37am On Jun 10, 2015
cross234:

hello to all d oga's in the house please how much is the cost of the digital PH test and the normal one and among the two which one is more advisable to get. thks
Digital PH meter is 8500. It's preferable because it's more accurate and precise. Though should be handled with caution. Some of them reads temperature too.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 12:51pm On Jun 10, 2015
pharmsy:

Digital PH meter is 8500. It's preferable because it's more accurate and precise. Though should be handled with caution. Some of them reads temperature too.

pls wht is d name of d one dt can read temperature as well. thks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 10, 2015
cross234:

hello to all d oga's in the house please how much is the cost of the digital PH test and the normal one and among the two which one is more advisable to get. thks
@ Cross234, this reads Temp. also. Thou its 13,000 here in Abuja. Tnx

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Dejaylapel: 3:43pm On Jun 10, 2015
Weldon to all my ogaz at the top, am back again to the glory of God after almost a year break.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 4:30pm On Jun 10, 2015
Dejaylapel:
Weldon to all my ogaz at the top, am back again to the glory of God after almost a year break.

welcome back dejay.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 10:18pm On Jun 10, 2015
GarbaNigLtd:
Promoting high and healthy growth rates is extremely important when raising catfishes. We offer you high quality feeds specifically developed to promote healthy and fast growth. Our fish feeds are getting high reputation in the market.

To place order, Contact us directly on: 08144858135

ADDRESS: Nothern Warehouse, NPA Phase 1, Tincan Island, Apapa, Lagos, Nigeria.

We can supply to your desired location anywhere in Nigeria.

Price 2,000
Crude Protein: 45%
Type: Catfish Feed:100%
Grade: First grade
Packaging: 25kg plastic bags
Place of Origin: Nigeria
Delivery Packaging Detail: 50kg bags Delivery duration depends on your Location.

For more details on how to place order, you can contact us directly on: 08144858135.

Best Regards.

[/color]
SCAMMER, YOU HAVE COME TO THIS THREAD NOW ABI? ANY TIME I SEE YOUR POST AND THE PIX OF YOUR FISH FEED, IT SMELLS OF A BIG SCAM AND I WONDER WHY OTHERS CANNOT PERCEIVE THE SMELL OF SCAM OOZING FROM YOUR POST.

I HOPE FARMERS HERE WILL BE VERY CAREFUL . THIS IS A VERY BIG SCAM MY FELLOW FARMERS, PLZ DO NOT FALL VICTIM. [color=#990000]

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 10:23pm On Jun 10, 2015
pharmsy:

I'm a regular buyer sir. Do you have any? Contact me on 08069209120

At the moment, no i dnt av but i will store ur contact and do business wt u soon.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by PresidentAde(m): 9:16am On Jun 11, 2015
robonski15:
To be continued..
You have a mail sir......ajayi4opeyemi
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 12:35pm On Jun 11, 2015
JuveFarms:

@ Cross234, this reads Temp. also. Thou its 13,000 here in Abuja. Tnx

thk u so much sir is jsr dt getting all dis kind of things here in Abk is somehow I hav contact like two big stores dt deal with something of such bt dia ans are dey dnt have bt am still working on it sir. Thks.

bt sir wht is d product name
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by WhoBeThisMan: 1:08pm On Jun 11, 2015
robonski15 I have been following this thread in silent mode for a long time. I really appreciate your work.

I still have one question though before I finally venture into fish farming.

How is the market like? Is it easy to sell matured fishes?

I ask this because I dont want to go into the business and after spending all that money raising the fishes to maturity, then find it dificult to sell.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 1:32pm On Jun 11, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:
robonski15 I have been following this thread in silent mode for a long time. I really appreciate your work.

I ask this because I dont want to go into the business and after spending all that money raising the fishes to maturity, then find it dificult to sell.

It is NOT easy at all... You need to gradually build your customer base. Sometimes the fishes will stay on d farm beyond the time u av stipulated for harvesting and d farmer will now panick and sell at a give away price. Happens a lot to newbies. Start doing ur market survey now. Walk around ur area and check for major markets and see if there are catfish sellers there. If u av lots of peppersoup joints around u, start telling dem dat in a few months time u will av catfish for sale.
By the way, where is ur location? It would be nice if u can hook up wt other farmers around u. They will share the contacts of buyers wt u if dey are nice guys.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 1:37pm On Jun 11, 2015
very useful insight from you bro. so from your experience which of the sizes sell the fastest... 1kg or 500g or smaller ?
BELEXYFARMS:

It is NOT easy at all... You need to gradually build your customer base. Sometimes the fishes will stay on d farm beyond the time u av stipulated for harvesting and d farmer will now panick and sell at a give away price. Happens a lot to newbies. Start doing ur market survey now. Walk around ur area and check for major markets and see if there are catfish sellers there. If u av lots of peppersoup joints around u, start telling dem dat in a few months time u will av catfish for sale.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by WhoBeThisMan: 1:50pm On Jun 11, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

By the way, where is ur location? It would be nice if u can hook up wt other farmers around u. They will share the contacts of buyers wt u if dey are nice guys.
Thanks bro.
I have done some experimental fish production when I was in benin, I did a little less that 1000. But now i reside in IKorodu lagos and would love to venture into it again big time with above 8000 fishes. But I'm really conserned about the market.

What if I smoked the fishes, is there a better market for smoked fishes?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 1:53pm On Jun 11, 2015
jaz:
very useful insight from you bro. so from your experience which of the sizes sell the fastest... 1kg or 500g or smaller ?

It all depends on the sellers in ur area or around u. If d pple in d locality are not that well to do, dey will go to the market and demand for medium sized fishes frm d market women. This in turn affects the sizes of what d market women will buy frm the farmer. Thats why its good to start small and see how things are before u plunge right in. I have some buyers dat will not take any fish less dan 2.5kg in size. She even prefers 3kg and above. Thats d sizes dat her own customers buy frm her. There are some buyers dat want 600g and above fishes bcoz dats d kinda customers dat patronise her. So it all depends on the market around u and d market women who will come. Ur product should target the market. Its d same thing selling to pepper soup joints and restaurants. They all av d particular size of fish their customers like and dats what dey will buy frm u. You can also get market women who will buy all d sizes dat u av but u cant sell dem at d same rate to dem or u reduce d price and sell at 'no sorting' rate
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 1:57pm On Jun 11, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:

Thanks bro.
I have done some experimental fish production when I was in benin, I did a little less that 1000. But now i reside in IKorodu lagos and would love to venture into it again big time with above 8000 fishes. But I'm really conserned about the market.

What if I smoked the fishes, is there a better market for smoked fishes?

Same thing still applies bro. U need to build a customer base for ur smoked fish. U av to publicise and market.

N. B. There are alot of fish farmers in ikorodu. They can link u up wt buyers. When ur fish is ready for sale u can contact me too. What is ur target weight bro? Or is it melange u are doing?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by WhoBeThisMan: 1:59pm On Jun 11, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Same thing still applies bro. U need to build a customer base for ur smoked fish. U av to publicise and market.
When you started, wat was your worst experience in terms of sales prices and time taken to sell?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 2:02pm On Jun 11, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:

When you started, wat was your worst experience in terms of sales prices and time taken to sell?

It wasnt really to difficult for me bcoz there are two major markets near me. Just like 10 minutes drive frm my farm. Im more or less in d middle of two towns. The price was not encouraging dat period. I did not av options of buyers and i did not knw pple. As at now, i dont even sell my fish to any body in those two markets.... I av alot of options now.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by WhoBeThisMan: 2:13pm On Jun 11, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

It wasnt really to difficult for me bcoz there are two major markets near me. Just like 10 minutes drive frm my farm. Im more or less in d middle of two towns. The price was not encouraging dat period. I did not av options of buyers and i did not knw pple. As at now, i dont even sell my fish to any body in those two markets.... I av alot of options now.
thanks for sharing your experience. Did u make profit?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 2:22pm On Jun 11, 2015
quite encouraging from belexy.

but i would like to ask, what's the average cost of constructing a pond that would accommodate 5 tonnes of fish, both earthen and concrete ponds ?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 2:36pm On Jun 11, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:
thanks for sharing your experience. Did u make profit?

Not really.... got back my cost of production only. Just dat i luv agric generally and i av a soft spot for fish farming, if not i wud av abandoned it after my first attempt. Fish farming is not money spinning oh. Its a business and a business needs to grow. Our points of view will differ, but i wont advice u do the 8000 u want to start with. U are just coming to a new location and setting. Test the waters first wt ur feet and if its nice and warm, u can take a dive.

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 2:43pm On Jun 11, 2015
jaz:
quite encouraging from belexy.

but i would like to ask, what's the average cost of constructing a pond that would accommodate 5 tonnes of fish, both earthen and concrete ponds ?

Cant really give a cost estimate for concrete or earthen ponds bcoz i dont use them. I make use of wooden tarpaulin ponds.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 3:02pm On Jun 11, 2015
ok thanks. but how much did the wooden tarpaulin cost you just in case one decides to go with this method
BELEXYFARMS:

Cant really give a cost estimate for concrete or earthen ponds bcoz i dont use them. I make use of wooden tarpaulin ponds.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 11, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Not really.... got back my cost of production only. Just dat i luv agric generally and i av a soft spot for fish farming, if not i wud av abandoned it after my first attempt. Fish farming is not money spinning oh. Its a business and a business needs to grow. Our points of view will differ, but i wont advice u do the 8000 u want to start with. U are just coming to a new location and setting. Test the waters first wt ur feet and if its nice and warm, u can take a dive.
Everyone must not be a fish farmer, whereby they stock 200fishes to test the waters & learn. That's why there are experienced people in the business to guide them. No wonder Nigeria keeps importing fishes, everyone wants to start small, make mistake & run. Catfish farming spins money if done "properly". Tnx

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:56pm On Jun 11, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:

Thank you sir.. doc belexy has said it all, you have to do a market feasibility study to know what is in demand in your current location.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Neduzze5(m): 5:44pm On Jun 11, 2015
Good evening Sir/Ma,

Please can I get some little quantity of Fingerlings in Port Harcourt? If you've for sale, please mention me with your contact.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pharmsy: 2:39am On Jun 12, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

At the moment, no i dnt av but i will store ur contact and do business wt u soon.
Ok
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by donclassfarm: 2:55am On Jun 12, 2015
angry@Neduzze5 fingerling at Ahoada 08036728501 what quantity do you want?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Neduzze5(m): 6:24am On Jun 12, 2015
Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 2:29pm On Jun 12, 2015
jaz:
ok thanks. but how much did the wooden tarpaulin cost you just in case one decides to go with this method

Depending on the type of wood used, ur location and the carpenter doing the job, it will cost you between 70K to over 120K for a 1000 capacity pond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by WhoBeThisMan: 2:43pm On Jun 12, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Depending on the type of wood used, ur location and the carpenter doing the job, it will cost you between 70K to over 120K for a 1000 capacity pond
how durable is wooden ponds outdoor?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 4:17pm On Jun 12, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:
how durable is wooden ponds outdoor?

Very durable. Use wood that can last.

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.