Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (181) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1494287 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by hazyfm1: 2:35pm On Aug 04, 2015
Mr excelsiorfarm, Please I will like to have a copy of the manual.

My e-mail address: hazyfm@yahoo.com

I await your response.

Thanks and God bless you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Lorjes: 3:08pm On Aug 04, 2015
ab1x:
It may spread if care is not taken. Mix procaine, vitc and dcp with their feed. Put the drugs inside little water and sprinkle it in the feeds and spread inside sun to get dry and feed them after treating them

I am grateful Sir, please I know that you people are trying a lot on this thread and so many other people are learning from this now, what is the quantity and I would like to know if they are normal procaine, vitc and please don't be annoyed what is dcp? Where can I get them all.
How long shall I give them this medication.
Thank you and God bless you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saddek04: 9:52pm On Aug 04, 2015
ab1x:

The length does not really matter in catfish business, what matter most is the weight. A fish that eat regularly (balance diet) weather the feed has maize or not will have weight. Too much maize/koko garri may reduce the amount of feeds they eat. Much a times, they eat the feed and go to the bottom of the water to vomit it thereby polluting the water. Just ensure they eat well and you give them the right local feed formula. In this part of the world that I am, 1.1KG is a small fish.
. Good day to you ab1x, we have really missed your post and so happy to hear from you. Your contribution to this thread is highly appreciated. Hope to hear more from you. God bless.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abbeydeeone: 12:29am On Aug 05, 2015
please people in the house , what is the average weight of catfish stocked for 1 month and stocked at juvenile stage.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abbeydeeone: 12:32am On Aug 05, 2015
please people in the house , what is the average
weight of catfish stocked for 1 month and stocked
at juvenile stage. All condition of good management met. change their water every two days as against the recommended 3 days
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abbeydeeone: 1:11am On Aug 05, 2015
really
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 11:01am On Aug 05, 2015
saddek04:
. Good day to you ab1x, we have really missed your post and so happy to hear from you. Your contribution to this thread is highly appreciated. Hope to hear more from you. God bless.
We all do miss his inputs
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by miqos02(m): 12:40pm On Aug 05, 2015
abbeydeeone:

please people in the house , what is the average
weight of catfish stocked for 1 month and stocked
at juvenile stage. All condition of good management met. change their water every two days as against the recommended 3 days
BTW 100grms and 150grms
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Mayany(m): 1:35pm On Aug 05, 2015
My greetings to Rabonski,Ab1x,excelsiorfarm and all other great contributors to this thread, i started catfish farming(earthen pond) earlier this year after going through this thread, still learning sha but i have harvested one of my ponds although i couldn't get my capital because the mortality rate was high, however i am thinking of going into hatchery. To all the gurus how much will it take to start a hatchery and what can i do to minimize mortality rate Thanks and God bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 3:54pm On Aug 05, 2015
Mayany:
My greetings to Rabonski,Ab1x,excelsiorfarm and all other great contributors to this thread, i started catfish farming(earthen pond) earlier this year after going through this thread, still learning sha but i have harvested one of my ponds although i couldn't get my capital because the mortality rate was high, however i am thinking of going into hatchery. To all the gurus how much will it take to start a hatchery and what can i do to minimize mortality rate Thanks and God bless

Sorry to read this, i am yet to see more than 5% of farmers that had a good success with earthen ponds . . . . The earthen pond scares the living daylight out of me joooo.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Mayany(m): 7:21pm On Aug 05, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Sorry to read this, i am yet to see more than 5% of farmers that had a good success with earthen ponds . . . . The earthen pond scares the living daylight out of me joooo.
well as i said earlier it is a learning process, rabonski talked about how he lost over 2m before he started making profit so i think i can be among the 5% that makes it with earthen ponds
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 7:36pm On Aug 05, 2015
Mayany:
well as i said earlier it is a learning process, rabonski talked about how he lost over 2m before he started making profit so i think i can be among the 5% that makes it with earthen ponds

What i lost in earthen pond is mind bugling and i have decided to probably never go back to earthen ponds . . . .But it doesnt mean that others cant make money from it......
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by DixtaFarms: 8:45am On Aug 06, 2015
Pls where and at what price can I get a pelleting machine of a capacity of atleast 40kg/hour. Also a stainless steel drying oven. My location is Akwa Ibom State.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bamdexfarms(m): 10:39am On Aug 06, 2015
Am in need of melange catfish in ibadan. Am willing to purchase 200kg every 2 weeks. If you can supply or knows who can, kindly reach me on 08128470332 (call/sms/whatsapp).
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Sejeje: 10:51am On Aug 06, 2015
bamdexfarms:
Am in need of melange catfish in ibadan. Am willing to purchase 200kg every 2 weeks. If you can supply or knows who can, kindly reach me on 08128470332 (call/sms/whatsapp).
I have 90kg of fish to sell at moniya ibadan now if u are interested call 08066982418
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:31pm On Aug 06, 2015
Fhemmmy:

What i lost in earthen pond is mind bugling and i have decided to probably never go back to earthen ponds . . . .But it doesnt mean that others cant make money from it......
Both concrete and earthen ponds has its advantages and disadvantages and more so different management culture.. once you are familiar with anyone you will have no qualms.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 5:00pm On Aug 06, 2015
robonski15:

Both concrete and earthen ponds has its advantages and disadvantages and more so different management culture.. once you are familiar with anyone you will have no qualms.

Super true, but for novice like us, better we walk with concrete for now joooo tongue

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by princemolak(m): 6:33pm On Aug 06, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I use earthen pond and it is very close to a small river, the mistake most people make is that they dont build embankments while constructing their earthen pond, some also dont use exhaust pipes, so when there is huge rainfall, the fishes will find their way, earthen pond is the best IMO
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 6:39pm On Aug 06, 2015
princemolak:

I use earthen pond and it is very close to a small river, the mistake most people make is that they dont build embankments while constructing their earthen pond, some also dont use exhaust pipes, so when there is huge rainfall, the fishes will find their way, earthen pond is the best IMO

I think the biggest problem with earthen pond is mortality . . . .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Goldenboy842(m): 4:06am On Aug 07, 2015
Please is it good to fertilize a fish pond with poultry droppings when there is fish inside the pond?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 9:24am On Aug 07, 2015
200kg of melange-size fish for sale at Ikotun - Ijegun axis. Interested persons should contact me for negotiations and i will link u up wt the seller. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ammy4id: 9:44am On Aug 07, 2015
Earthen pond for lease: Four earthen pond for lease at iyana ilogbo ogun state: Contact me at 08060142111

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 1:50pm On Aug 07, 2015
Goldenboy842:
Please is it good to fertilize a fish pond with poultry droppings when there is fish inside the pond?
Never try that, its very bad
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Goldenboy842(m): 3:39pm On Aug 07, 2015
fzero:

Never try that, its very bad
Any reason bro.
How do I re fertilize my pond.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 3:46pm On Aug 07, 2015
Goldenboy842:

Any reason bro.
How do I re fertilize my pond.
it will cause diesease infection, u can only fertilise when there is no fish present. is it concrete or earthen pond?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Goldenboy842(m): 7:43pm On Aug 07, 2015
fzero:

it will cause diesease infection, u can only fertilise when there is no fish present. is it concrete or earthen pond?
Earthen pond sir.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
Mayany:
Sorry about that experience
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 12:19am On Aug 08, 2015
excelsiorfarm:
Welcome back sir our amiable tutor and teacher. We don miss you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:51am On Aug 08, 2015
Mayany:

Sorry about your loss sir, it depends on the capacity of the hatchery from fries to fingerlings/juvenile.. Do you have a space and regular water supply.. moreso you have to learn the spawning technique in practical..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 12:24pm On Aug 08, 2015
Mayany:

Sorry about the outcome. Let me make it clear to you that earthen pond is not really the reason why you made loss. I've been using earthen pond for a while now, I am still using it till present and I will continue to use it till foreseeable future. There are a lot of things that could make you experience losses while using earthen pond. One thing about earthen pond is that you need to manage water supply (the most important thing), give them the right feeds, feed them very well using on a spot feeding method, constant monitoring etc. It is always garbage in garbage out. There is no shortcut to anywhere. I've seen a lot of people who are not able to get their capital back. It has happened for me before when I first ventured into earthen pond. Before calling it quit, you need to give it another shot. Determination is the key to success.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Mayany(m): 12:41pm On Aug 08, 2015
excelsiorfarm:
Thanks bro I am bouncing back by God's grace

(1) (2) (3) ... (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.