Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,664 members, 7,844,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1502241 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omode2(m): 7:20pm On Jul 12, 2013
excelsiorfarm: a serious minded person that needs it will go and confirm;am in ibadan and i dont intend to put any pic,it is a choice to verify and decide
you are right he needs to make haste for time waits for no man. I think d price is fair and frm d few things av seen by following him on net (excelsiofarm) he is a credible and kindhearterd fellow who wants others to grow. Go and see and come and testify eida good or bad.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 9:09am On Jul 13, 2013
omode2: you are right he needs to make haste for time waits for no man. I think d price is fair and frm d few things av seen by following him on net (excelsiofarm) he is a credible and kindhearterd fellow who wants others to grow. Go and see and come and testify eida good or bad.

Nobody is disputing that fact about mr excelsoir, I have been following his thread for a long time as a guest before I signed up... I also learn from him a lot..I have someone dat is interested alraedy we will check it out..

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:27am On Jul 14, 2013
HAPPY SUNDAY TO YOU ALL!!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Daniel058(m): 7:45pm On Jul 15, 2013
robonski15:

It will contain 2000 catfish to maturity comfortably..
ok thanks sir..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by freeccnow(f): 7:50pm On Jul 15, 2013
robonski15: FEEDING YOUR FISH

You know feeding takes 70% of the total cost and there are no cut corners in feeding your fish..I tell farmers that "What you give to them that's what they will become" and that's a fact.. I have seen farmers that give their fishes Eba and the likes for them to gain weight, and its no surprise to me when they sell at a loss..

As long as you have right fish (like shooteers) and u sort and don't over stock my brother you can go ahead and feed them very well.. Let me tell u one deep truth when u stock the right fish(shooters) they can even eat less and yet grow bigger..

Now there are all sort of feeds available in the market from coppens,durante,multifeed,zeigler,aqua feed, ranan,vital feed etc.. When I started back then I was using coppens and there was a time I even bought a fake of it (coppens) but for some time now I have been using zeigler and I must say that I prefer zeigler to coppens.. I know most farmers will be raising eyebrow now but that's a pure fact.. Infact I had a client that sells vale viva feed back then the company did an experiment of coppens, zeigler,multi feed and durante, she told me that ziegler came out top,but I wasn't suprised because I had done my own finding too.. Coppens is just about the name, they are living on past glory.. Don't get me wrong coppens is a very good feed but I find zeigler to be the best feed what so ever..

So this is the way one can feed the catfish? This is interesting and a clue I never knew about. Wish my mother saw this as she is a catfish farmer.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 8:07pm On Jul 15, 2013
Hello everyone, I want to share some few thoughts with you on the subject RECORD KEEPING

RECORD KEEPING:

One of the main draw backs on fish farming is a lack of deliberately kept economic records of farm operations.. Investors who operate without records are likely to make wrong decisions due to lack of information of what is happening in their farms..

WHAT IS A RECORD:

Record is information that has been systematically and carefully collected and appropriately stored for intended use.. To be able to run any business successfully, carefully thought out, properly collected and kept records are a must..
For the purpose of keeping track and decision making in any business, a comprhensive and well kept records must be kept.. A proper collected and kept records are IMPORTANT in fish farming..

Continued..

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:36am On Jul 16, 2013
Keeping records will:

1.Be used in determining profitability..just because you made sales and you have money in your pocket doesn't mean u make profit, this is why keeping record is inportant..

2. Be used to compare the efficiency of use of inputs such as land, labour, and capital with production activities..

3.Help the investors in improving the efficiency of farms operations..

4.Be used to preserve institutional memory of the farm for future reference.

Good record will for example;

1.Be used in projection of expected production..

2.Be useful in determining the amount of inputs requirements for specific ponds at various stages of production..

3.Be useful in determining the expected harvest time..

4. Determine the financial health of the farm..

SOME IMPORTANT FISH FARM RECORDS INCLUDE:

1. Capital investment costs e.g cost of constructing ponds, hatchery etc..

2.Individual pond treatment

3.Stocking densities and time of stocking.

4.Species stocked

5. Quantities and cost of input..

6. Daily occourences.

Continued...

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jamp: 7:45am On Jul 16, 2013
robonski15: Keeping records will:

1.Be used in determining profitability..just because you made sales and you have money in your pocket doesn't mean u make profit, this is why keeping record is inportant..

2. Be used to compare the efficiency of use of inputs such as land, labour, and capital with production activities..

3.Help the investors in improving the efficiency of farms operations..

4.Be used to preserve institutional memory of the farm for future reference.

Good record will for example;

1.Be used in projection of expected production..

2.Be useful in determining the amount of inputs requirements for specific ponds at various stages of production..

3.Be useful in determining the expected harvest time..

4. Determine the financial health of the farm..

SOME IMPORTANT FISH FARM RECORDS INCLUDE:

1. Capital investment costs e.g cost of constructing ponds, hatchery etc..

2.Individual pond treatment

3.Stocking densities and time of stocking.

4.Species stocked

5. Quantities and cost of input..

6. Daily occourences.

Continued...

good one
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Praktikals(m): 8:09am On Jul 16, 2013
Here are some pictures on how to produce catfish fingerlings. Add me on facebook and see more pictures at
www.facebook.com/catfish.fingerlings?v=photos&psm=default&album=a.1380518278836689.1073741825.100006355897160&_mn_=13&refid=17&ref=m_nux_wizard

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omode2(m): 8:32am On Jul 16, 2013
robonski15: Sometime last year a guy introduced the bio disc to me and told me about its numerous benefit but I declined.. After much persuation I gave it a try and it has been outstanding since then.. I don't get casualties as such,my fishes are always very active and smart, and they grow faster..

Aslo in the hatchery the importance of Bio disc cannot be over emphasised... Anytime I hacth almost 90% of the eggs hatch, and the mortality rate is very low, they are always active from day one... I get over 60k fries just from a single female fish alone and the survival rate is tremendous... My students can testify of this..

I employ fish farmers who have the capacity to get a bio disc to purchase one and see its numerous benefits and have a bumper harvest.. God bless
After reading this piece i did a little reseach on net on anoda forum where fish farmers disputed the claims abt bio disc and some agreed dt it only aids d immune system bt has nothing to do with growth.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 9:42am On Jul 16, 2013
Classification of fish farm records

Aquaculture records can be classified into:

Daily records kept for input usage like feeds,labour and daily occurrence
Occasional record which are kept for events that do not happen on daily basis. Such records would include:
Specific pond production (Quantity and values) by species
Costs of acquisition of inputs
Cost incurred in new constructions or repairs
Salaries (both in cash and in kind)
Level of record keeping

How much and how comprehensive kept records are, is dependent on:

Level of investment; Complex investments require complex records
Motivation of investor; Serious investors will have more comprehensive records

Level of fish farm management: Intensive operations will have more complex records as compared to semi intensive operations
Skills of the investor (Or manager); Well trained managers will keep better records

As the management levels rises, culture systems become more complex and so is the record keeping. This is the reason the farmer must think very carefully of what he needs to record.

Examples of aquaculture records:

Fish farming biological management records
Financial management records include:
Ø     Purchase of inputs

Ø     Sales records

Ø     Salary records

Ø     Inventory of equipment

Ø     Records on payment of rents and hire of equipment, machinery, services etc

Occurrence book
It is very important for individual farmers to clearly know what they need recorded and the intended use of this. This will assist them in preparing the most effective way of capturing the needed information.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:45am On Jul 16, 2013
op to compliment what u wrote on record keeping,a fishfarmer that keeps good record,whether it is a profit or loss balance,have better opportunity of getting partnership funding,loans & growing than someone that doesnt keep any record.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wolepiano(m): 9:48am On Jul 16, 2013
@robonski Please what is the cost of a bio disc ?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:09am On Jul 16, 2013
wole-piano:
@robonski Please what is the cost of a bio disc ?

A bio-disc cost #50k presently
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wolepiano(m): 10:31am On Jul 16, 2013
@Robonski15 thanks for the response,please where can I purchase the disc ?,
I live in sango Ota ogun state.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by samseen02(m): 11:00am On Jul 16, 2013
you might also like this post. how to build a standard fish pond http://wealthmeans..com/2013/06/how-to-build-fish-pond.html
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:48am On Jul 16, 2013
wole-piano:
@Robonski15 thanks for the response,please where can I purchase the disc ?,
I live in sango Ota ogun state.

A friend of mine is a major distributor.. U can call 08061682047..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ABEngine(m): 2:53pm On Jul 16, 2013
Robonski, sir I just sent you the mail concerning proposals we spoke about earlier and this is my handle here on nairaland. That's the much i could ascertain from the queries posed.

God bless us
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 8:12pm On Jul 16, 2013
AB Engine: Robonski, sir I just sent you the mail concerning proposals we spoke about earlier and this is my handle here on nairaland. That's the much i could ascertain from the queries posed.

God bless us

Hello, I am working on the proposal.. I will get back to you as soon as possible.. Remain blessed
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by seundegs: 12:27am On Jul 17, 2013
The count down as begun... Cant wait
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:32am On Jul 17, 2013
ITS JUST TWO MORE DAYS TO THE PRACTICAL HATCHING SEMINAR!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:36am On Jul 17, 2013
excelsiorfarm: op to compliment what u wrote on record keeping,a fishfarmer that keeps good record,whether it is a profit or loss balance,have better opportunity of getting partnership funding,loans & growing than someone that doesnt keep any record.

I really do agree with you.. If for instance you need a loan, banks may want to look at your your past records, they want to know what your operations in the business has been like, and also your profit margin since inception..

I urge fish farmers to always keep accurate records of their farm operations..

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:55pm On Jul 17, 2013
omode2: After reading this piece i did a little reseach on net on anoda forum where fish farmers disputed the claims abt bio disc and some agreed dt it only aids d immune system bt has nothing to do with growth.

Bio disc enhances there growth rate, for example my fishes are due for sale at fingerlings for just 5 weeks due to bio disc.. And also their immune system is enhanced to wage anyform of infection..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by seundegs: 5:33pm On Jul 17, 2013
Hey guys, see you tomorrow.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 17, 2013
Are u into fish farming and require money to boost ur production, our reputable financial institution can help u assess facility/loan repayable within 24 months. Call me on 08063896204 for more info.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nne4(f): 10:48am On Jul 18, 2013
pls i need help o my mentors.l stocked 1000 POST FINGERLINS 2 days ago but they are not eating well and some are even hanging. what should i do pls but they are not dying.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:17am On Jul 18, 2013
nne4: pls i need help o my mentors.l stocked 1000 POST FINGERLINS 2 days ago but they are not eating well and some are even hanging. what should i do pls but they are not dying.
possible reason,stressed,low o2 supply in water,sick.about not eating,they might hav had enough or d any of d issues mentioned.is there change of feed or pls give more details

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nne4(f): 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2013
Like l said earlier,l bought them 2 days ago and didn't give them feed till d next morning.so when i fed them i noticed they were not rushing d feed as i expected.Even this morning they did the same thing.l used to buy fish from d farm i bought this one but l haven't experience this kind thing b/4.pls need your reply my mentor.l'm using coppens for them now.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by miqos02(m): 3:16pm On Jul 18, 2013
excelsiorfarm: possible reason,stressed,low o2 supply in water,sick.about not eating,they might hav had enough or d any of d issues mentioned.is there change of feed or pls give more details
boss, am also in this condition. i bought 1000pcs of juveniles 3weeks ago and they hardly finish 2handfuls of feed
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:35pm On Jul 18, 2013
miqos02: boss, am also in this condition. i bought 1000pcs of juveniles 3weeks ago and they hardly finish 2handfuls of feed
am not yr boss,we are colleagues,i will suggest u treat them with antibiotic,aquapro is ok,it also enhances FCR & ALso get livestovit(it is multivitamin) .GOD BLESS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by miqos02(m): 4:14pm On Jul 18, 2013
excelsiorfarm: am not yr boss,we are colleagues,i will suggest u treat them with antibiotic,aquapro is ok,it also enhances FCR & ALso get livestovit(it is multivitamin) .GOD BLESS
thank you, please how do i apply the drug?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:53pm On Jul 18, 2013
miqos02: thank you, please how do i apply the drug?
it is written on it,u can first dilute in water if u choose,then pour into d pond.advisable to use after water change initially(for effectiveness,though u can used anytime,do good water mgt also

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.