Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,519 members, 7,826,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (211) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1497214 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 12:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
@barby008,
Ibadan.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 2:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
atanda2001uk:
@barby008,
Ibadan.

Can u please contact me on WhatsApp on 07032248525..let's discuss
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by heartbitmi: 3:44pm On Oct 26, 2015
thanks y'all for the recommendations. i'm very sure my artemia is the problem. i will give it another shot with the suggestions and get back to the house....regards.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bily(m): 3:57pm On Oct 26, 2015
robonski15:

Too many fake artemia in the market right now which is the major problem for the deaths.. Try using 0.2 or squeezed 0.5..

www.agricnetwork.com

Why are people not hatching Artemia themselves and feeding their fish the live swimming Artemia?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 4:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
If your problem of mass mortality is not water, and not weather then definately its the feed . For best water quality for newly hatched fries, maintain 7 to 7.5 ph and water between 28 degree and 30 degree...Also check if your water has ions ..if it does have ions your fries will die For hatchery business u need take your water to the lab for good analysis of your water before comencing fish hatchery orelse u just waste your hard earn money ...Solution to that is, to get an ion reduction chamber :: Its just a drum with silica sand in it just like the type mr robonski showed us ... to take care of the ions in your water you flow your water from your water source throug the drum of silica sand down to your vat ... For weather problems , using indoors does not guarantee temperature is ok, always check your water temperature at least 3 times a day . to ensure its ok ...if u want i can teach u an effective way to keep your water temperature constant . Because rapid change in temperature can also give u mass mortality ... If the artemia is the problem you can culture your own artemia i can also elaborate on it if u are intrested or u can use this simple but very effective method . Boil an egg take the yolk out and take a little bowl of water not up to a litre of water , squeeze the egg in a clean white handcarchief and dip it in the bowl of half litre. for few minutes
After u see its well dissolve . dip ur hand in the bowl take the mixture of egg yolk and water and sprinkle it in your vat you will see the 3 day old fries coming up to feed on them ... that way no fear of bad adoltrated artemia u can feed them this way for 6 to 7 days before introducing the 0.2 mm coopens . they will grow very well....If u have any area you dont understand , then ask will try to elaborate GOODLUCK:::

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jonuel1(m): 5:28pm On Oct 26, 2015
williams20:
Good morning great Farmers. Pls we have 2 concrete ponds about 3000litres each. And we have stocked a thousand fish into both. We feed twice daily with coppens and change water completely every 3-4days. Bt the fishes do hang up sometimes and they have big bellies. Recorded 3 casualties so far. Pls we need more insight.

First and foremost, from the biochemistry viewpoint, nitrogenous waste are expelled in 3 forms (Uric acid, Ammonia and Urea).
Uric acid is the means reptiles and birds excrete nitrogenous waste as a result of water conservation; that's why their excrete is always dry and u find a whitish stuff.

The convenient form for man is urea and its less toxic but ammonia is highly toxic and this is the means fish excrete their nitrogenous waste. That why by nature they are in water and being that its a pond, the water isn't free flowing the ammonia accumulates and causes their death with the number of fish and size taken into consideration so frequent change of water is advised.

From my experience (we have a pond at the back of the house for domestic consumption)
We use concrete pond and being that cement is used, we soacked the pond for like two weeks by filling it with water to kill the effect of limestone which is harmful to the fish.

Before stocking, we wash the pond with salt which plays same role as the drug the poster mentioned then fill after washing with salt before stocking.

Early sorting is good like the OP said as there is competition but it is worthy of note that they do eat themselves (carniballistic in nature). We stocked 500 fingerlings in our present stock; when we sorted after 1month, we were left the less than 350. Vital feeds makes d water small so we stopped when we tried. We use coppens now.

We used to record mortality when we started cus we always leave the water in the pond for 2days bt since we started changing water everyday, mortality is no more.

We wash our pond like every 2-3wks when they are like 2months+ because of algae growth.

I hope this is helpfull.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 5:44pm On Oct 26, 2015
jonuel1:

First and foremost, from the biochemistry viewpoint, nitrogenous waste are expelled in 3 forms (Uric acid, Ammonia and Urea).
Uric acid is the means reptiles and birds excrete nitrogenous waste as a result of water conservation; that's why their excrete is always dry and u find a whitish stuff.

The convenient form for man is urea and its less toxic but ammonia is highly toxic and this is the means fish excrete their nitrogenous waste. That why by nature they are in water and being that its a pond, the water isn't free flowing the ammonia accumulates and causes their death with the number of fish and size taken into consideration so frequent change of water is advised.

From my experience (we have a pond at the back of the house for domestic consumption)
We use concrete pond and being that cement is used, we soacked the pond for like two weeks by filling it with water to kill the effect of limestone which is harmful to the fish.

Before stocking, we wash the pond with salt which plays same role as the drug the poster mentioned then fill after washing with salt before stocking.

Early sorting is good like the OP said as there is competition but it is worthy of note that they do eat themselves (carniballistic in nature). We stocked 500 fingerlings in our present stock; when we sorted after 1month, we were left the less than 350. Vital feeds makes d water small so we stopped when we tried. We use coppens now.

We used to record mortality when we started cus we always leave the water in the pond for 2days bt since we started changing water everyday, mortality is no more.

We wash our pond like every 2-3wks when they are like 2months+ because of algae growth.

I hope this is helpfull.
Very lovely information but to chip in something changing water everyday may be too stressful for the fish it may affect there growth rate . i will advice you to use flow through for your concrete pond . you can flow through it for 3 to 4 hours daily and ur fish will do very fine ... for those using flow through on concrete pounds, construct the type in which the water coming in the ponds will be higher than the ponds, at least 3 meters above the concrate ponds it makes the water well oxygenated there by aerating at same time giving them fresh new water GOODLUCK
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 5:47pm On Oct 26, 2015
heartbitmi:
thanks y'all for the recommendations. i'm very sure my artemia is the problem. i will give it another shot with the suggestions and get back to the house....regards.
good luck sir we hope to rejoyce with u here
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by heartbitmi: 5:51pm On Oct 26, 2015
@soft 777...thanks for ur contributions..u be the boss!!! please kindly elaborate on the followind;
1. how to culture artemia
2. how to keep temperature constant and ,
3. where to get a water thermometer for testing and the cost.

regards.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 6:02pm On Oct 26, 2015
For swollen stomach and hanging ... Solution low ur water in your pound and add asolution of epson salt or normal salt in water .its a bacteria infection ... pour the salt solution on them for few hours and increase the water on them gradually they will be ok ... hanging can be caused by the swollen stomach or any of the following general mis practice 1, poluted watter 2 . over crowded fish 3 . lack of oxygen in water: I think you will know which of these is pb with your fish hanging....GOODLUCK
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by heartbitmi: 6:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
@soft 777 also u mentioned PH 7 to 7.5 for newly hatched but on this same thread it was suggested we stop using soda ash after hatching. is this not contradictory? from a personal point of view, my water PH is about 5.7 default. i however buffer with soda ash to say 6.8 to 7 and i maintained that. whats ur say on this?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 7:00pm On Oct 26, 2015
heartbitmi:
@soft 777...thanks for ur contributions..u be the boss!!! please kindly elaborate on the followind;
1. how to culture artemia
2. how to keep temperature constant and ,
3. where to get a water thermometer for testing and the cost.

regards.
To culture artemia in an hatchery this is a complete topic on its own . its what i will have to explain on another day as a topic, cause first you need to know how to construct an artemia hatchery tank ... temperature oxygen ferterlizers organic or inorganic but just like the method mr robonski stated out in his new hatchery...This is a simple and easier method . You can culture zooplanktons in a small earthen ponds , by putting dry chicken waste in a sack and deeping it in a small earthen pond after 3 weeks .After then zooplanktons bloom as in reprodution of zooplanktons free food for your fries. u can harvest ur zooplanktons by using a zooplankton net take it and pour in your vat, you will see how fast . your fries grows faster when they feed on life zooplankton....2.. to keep your water temperature constant , buy an aquarium water heater...this heater increases the water temperature gradually without changing the molecular structure of the water or if u cant get that , get a bottle water disinfect it by washing it with formaline or other disinfectant but dont use soap .Pour in it boiled water and stand it up at the edges of your vat. in your vat u can use 3 to 4 water bottles depends on the size of your vat .The bottle will gradually reflect heat energy into water in your vat gradually without the fishes noticing a fast change. This will help the fish not to have shock based on sudden temperature change .. so when u check your temperature and see its between 28 and 30 degree u can remove the bottles one by one gradually orelse, when ur temperature goes higher than the recommended temperature they start to experience stress also 3..check any laboratory equipments sellers or a good pharmacy you will get water termometer there

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 27, 2015
Good day all members & guests of this our great thread. Its that time of the year when we stock PURE HETERO SPECIE catfish. Interested persons should contact us via Mobile: 08022557145. Whatsapp: 08069150802. Tnx

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 6:30pm On Oct 27, 2015
Please where can we get artemia cysts??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 8:36pm On Oct 27, 2015
JuveFarms:
Good day all members & guests of this our great thread. Its that time of the year when we stock PURE HETERO SPECIE catfish. Interested persons should contact us via Mobile: 08022557145. Whatsapp: 08069150802. Tnx

How old are those and your cost ?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 10:22pm On Oct 27, 2015
Oga Robonski, 700 gbosa for you on your farm project. And I wish you success all through.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:33am On Oct 28, 2015
ayosat:
Oga Robonski, 700 gbosa for you on your farm project. And I wish you success all through.

Thank you boss!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ajoo17(m): 11:39am On Oct 28, 2015
@Robonski, I hail you for the good job you have started and still keep doing. May God bless you. I was offline for sometime. My farm is around Ajah in Lagos. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 10:15pm On Oct 28, 2015
atanda2001uk:
Hello everyone in the house. I am in Ibadan and in need of fingerlings of appropriate size and duration. About 3,000pcs, No runts please and please. I had bad experience in my last harvest with great loss running into more than half of a million naira. It was my first experience and I almost close up the business but for some hope I am getting from this forum. Hence, I want to give it a second chance. Thank you for your understanding. Hi, i knw a good place here in Ibadan whr you can get good fishes frm fingerlings- juvenile... the place is an aquaculture institute @ fodacis (Aquatech) I get my fishes frm dem n I can guarantee you won't regret dealing wiv them, I am not sure Oga robonskii is here in IB... Pls correct me if am wrong
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 10:24pm On Oct 28, 2015
JuveFarms:
. Hello Oga Juve, am @ IBADAN how can I get 2000 post fingerlings/ juvenile of d full hetro? I currently hav in stock hetroclarias my mobile is 07065874135
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 10:26pm On Oct 28, 2015
@chilanfarms.
Thank you for your concern. Who exactly sold the fish to you? I know there are many farmers there. Thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 10:32pm On Oct 28, 2015
@ Oga Juve.
I am at Ibadan too and I am interested in the pure Hetero. About 1,200. But I need some information from you about how to feed them. what feed to start with and the ration? and other vital information that I need to know about the specie. thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 29, 2015
Pls can anyone help with a business idea and stating it
value proposition for a Catfish business u can mail me olatunjiadekunleo@gmail.com tnks God bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 29, 2015
chilanfarms:
. Hello Oga Juve, am @ IBADAN how can I get 2000 post fingerlings/ juvenile of d full hetro? I currently hav in stock hetroclarias my mobile is 07065874135
@chilanfarms, I see your add on whatsapp, pls for prompt response contact via mobile: 08022557145 or whatsapp: 08069150802. tnx
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 11:17am On Oct 29, 2015
I currently have fingerlings and post fingerlings in stock. Any interested buyer should contact me.
House Please, what is the price range for fingerlings,post fingerlings and juvenile in Lagos??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:26pm On Oct 29, 2015
While construction is still ongoing in the earthen nursery and concrete hatchery, we have concluded construction in the wooden vat hatchery and spawning has commenced.. pix below.

One of the aerator stones in action in one of the hatchery vat, we use combined system of aerating the vat and flow-through.. its very perfect for fries constant oxygen and fresh water..

One of the bio-disc immersed in the vats few minute before spawning to energize the water... it gives 80-90 percent of hatching and wellness to fries..

Energizing the water used for mixing the eggs and sperm with a bio disc.

Dissecting the male and removal of the milt (sperm sack)

The milt is placed for 5 minutes on a container with the energized water this helps to energize the milt because original bio disc contains scaler energy so it transmit this energy to and the living materials around it.

Already striped female eggs ready for fertilization..

www.agricnetwork.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:57pm On Oct 29, 2015
More pix

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pathology(m): 7:09pm On Oct 29, 2015
help help help, my hatchlings die within d first 6hrs of their life.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lamude23: 7:46pm On Oct 29, 2015
soft777:
IT WAS BECAUSE OF YOU A HAVE TO COME OUT ONLINE TO QUICKLY GIVE U REMEDY :::IF THE WHITISH COLOUR IS ON THERE BACK FIN ALONE AND NOT THERE BODY THEN YOUR FISH IS SURFFERING FROM WHAT IS CALLED FINROT ; AND FROM WHAT YOU SAID THAT; YOUR WATER IS GETTING DRY THAT IS THE SOURCE OF YOUR PB : CHECK YOUR WATER PH CAUSE FIN ROT IS CAUSED MOSTLY WHEN YOUR PH IS TOO HIGH OR TOO LOW AND I GUESS YOUR LITTLE WATER IS VERY POLLUTED BY FEEDS AND THE FISH WASTE ::: YOU NEED FIND URGENT SOURCE OF WATER :IF WATER IS POLLUTED AND U NEED RUN A FLOWTHROW TO GET FRESH WATER IN AND OPEN YOUR OUTLET FOR THE BAD WATER TO GO OUT ORE ELSE THE FORMALIN U USED MAY NOT HAVE EFFECT : CAUSE U ARE TREATING THEM IN THE SAME POLLUTED WATER ::U NEED FAST CHANGE UR WATER OR TOP IT BEFORE IT GETS WORST AND AFFECT ALL YOUR FISH : NEVER TRY FISH FARMING IF U DONT HAVE ANOTHER OR GOOD SOURCE OF WATER LIKE BOREHOLE STREAM OR WELL ITS VERY DANGEROUS RISKING UR MONEY ::::IT CAN ALSO AFFECT THE FAST GROWTH OF YOUR FISHES:::2 IF YOU CHECK YOUR PH AND ITS OK BUY OTC AT THE VET STORE LOW YOUR WATER AND MIX THE OTC WITH THEM IT WORKS WITH FIN AND TAIL ROT THANK YOU : YOU HAVE USED A WRONG MEDICATION FORMALIN IS BEST WITH FUNGAI INFECTIONS BUT WHAT IS AFFECTING YOUR FISH IS BACTERIA AND OTC IS BEST FOR TREATING BACTERIA INFECTION OR U CAN USE SALT AND ASH MIXED TOGETEHR BUT REMEBER DONT FEED YOUR FISH DURING THIS TREATMEN :: GIVE US BACK FEED BACK HOW IT WORKS GOODLUCK

Please, my fishes are still dying, I applied 2 satchels of oxytetracycline and good quantity of ashes that was Sieved of charcoals on Tuesday morning and stopped feeding them as well, I noticed they have stopped dying that same afternoon and decided I would watch them till the following morning to see if dey will still die before giving them food again which dey didn't so I started giving them food on Wednesday morning, by evening dt I came to feed, I noticed a quantity of them have died, so I didn't give any food again but they are still dying, dis morning and dis evening, please what else can I use to stop this mortality, good quality and quantity of water is entering the pond so I don't think it has to do with water.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:06pm On Oct 29, 2015
atanda2001uk:
@chilanfarms.
Thank you for your concern. Who exactly sold the fish to you? I know there are many farmers there. Thank you.
. Directly 4rm d Rector of d school

(1) (2) (3) ... (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.