Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,868 members, 7,828,093 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (212) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1497572 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 9:10am On Oct 30, 2015
lamude23:

Please, my fishes are still dying, I applied 2 satchels of oxytetracycline and good quantity of ashes that was Sieved of charcoals on Tuesday morning and stopped feeding them as well, I noticed they have stopped dying that same afternoon and decided I would watch them till the following morning to see if dey will still die before giving them food again which dey didn't so I started giving them food on Wednesday morning, by evening dt I came to feed, I noticed a quantity of them have died, so I didn't give any food again but they are still dying, dis morning and dis evening, please what else can I use to stop this mortality, good quality and quantity of water is entering the pond so I don't think it has to do with water.
Try to repeat the treatment process again , since u said it worked and they stopped dieing, this time, increase the quantity of the medication and allow it to stay longer before topping your water . It may be the medication quantity was small or the time you left it to work on your fishes was less, also try to check if your feed is not the problem, since they die when you feed ..there are many adultrated foreign feed, or if you are using local feed.if its not properly dried it can cause sickness also .You can decide to change your feed or buy somewere else ... Remember reduce your water very low before applying the medication after some hours top it up with fresh new water ..UPDATE US YOUR RESULT :::THEY WILL BE FINE AND OK GOODLUCK
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 11:56am On Oct 30, 2015
soft777:
If your problem of mass mortality is not water, and not weather then definately its the feed . For best water quality for newly hatched fries, maintain 7 to 7.5 ph and water between 28 degree and 30 degree...Also check if your water has ions ..if it does have ions your fries will die For hatchery business u need take your water to the lab for good analysis of your water before comencing fish hatchery orelse u just waste your hard earn money ...Solution to that is, to get an ion reduction chamber :: Its just a drum with silica sand in it just like the type mr robonski showed us ... to take care of the ions in your water you flow your water from your water source throug the drum of silica sand down to your vat ... For weather problems , using indoors does not guarantee temperature is ok, always check your water temperature at least 3 times a day . to ensure its ok ...if u want i can teach u an effective way to keep your water temperature constant . Because rapid change in temperature can also give u mass mortality ... If the artemia is the problem you can culture your own artemia i can also elaborate on it if u are intrested or u can use this simple but very effective method . Boil an egg take the yolk out and take a little bowl of water not up to a litre of water , squeeze the egg in a clean white handcarchief and dip it in the bowl of half litre. for few minutes
After u see its well dissolve . dip ur hand in the bowl take the mixture of egg yolk and water and sprinkle it in your vat you will see the 3 day old fries coming up to feed on them ... that way no fear of bad adoltrated artemia u can feed them this way for 6 to 7 days before introducing the 0.2 mm coopens . they will grow very well....If u have any area you dont understand , then ask will try to elaborate GOODLUCK:::

1. Can you please explain the process of removing iron from water using that stated method above.

2. What is silica sand? Where it's being sold?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by komakan(m): 2:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
soft777:
If your problem of mass mortality is not water, and not weather then definately its the feed . For best water quality for newly hatched fries, maintain 7 to 7.5 ph and water between 28 degree and 30 degree...Also check if your water has ions ..if it does have ions your fries will die For hatchery business u need take your water to the lab for good analysis of your water before comencing fish hatchery orelse u just waste your hard earn money ...Solution to that is, to get an ion reduction chamber :: Its just a drum with silica sand in it just like the type mr robonski showed us ... to take care of the ions in your water you flow your water from your water source throug the drum of silica sand down to your vat ... For weather problems , using indoors does not guarantee temperature is ok, always check your water temperature at least 3 times a day . to ensure its ok ...if u want i can teach u an effective way to keep your water temperature constant . Because rapid change in temperature can also give u mass mortality ... If the artemia is the problem you can culture your own artemia i can also elaborate on it if u are intrested or u can use this simple but very effective method . Boil an egg take the yolk out and take a little bowl of water not up to a litre of water , squeeze the egg in a clean white handcarchief and dip it in the bowl of half litre. for few minutes
After u see its well dissolve . dip ur hand in the bowl take the mixture of egg yolk and water and sprinkle it in your vat you will see the 3 day old fries coming up to feed on them ... that way no fear of bad adoltrated artemia u can feed them this way for 6 to 7 days before introducing the 0.2 mm coopens . they will grow very well....If u have any area you dont understand , then ask will try to elaborate GOODLUCK:::
Hope d desolved yolk will not pullute d water.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by komakan(m): 2:59pm On Oct 30, 2015
Pls house, what is d solution to remove chlorine in d water and solution to deficiency of salinity in water. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by biyibd: 5:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
Hello my ogas, great job you're doing, please i'm a newbie here(agric section) though i'm not new to fish farming...i need a little networking with Oga Lagbaja, i switched to recirculating aquaculture system some months back and i stumbled on his 2013 post about a certain kind of pump - resun pump which he said can deliver 13,000ltr/hr and consumes about 200watts. Please help a brother, i'm in dire need of this kind of pump at the moment. Please help me draw Mr Lagbaja's attention to my post.
Regards
robonski15:
While construction is still ongoing in the earthen nursery and concrete hatchery, we have concluded construction in the wooden vat hatchery and spawning has commenced.. pix below.

One of the aerator stones in action in one of the hatchery vat, we use combined system of aerating the vat and flow-through.. its very perfect for fries constant oxygen and fresh water..

One of the bio-disc immersed in the vats few minute before spawning to energize the water... it gives 80-90 percent of hatching and wellness to fries..

Energizing the water used for mixing the eggs and sperm with a bio disc.

Dissecting the male and removal of the milt (sperm sack)

The milt is placed for 5 minutes on a container with the energized water this helps to energize the milt because original bio disc contains scaler energy so it transmit this energy to and the living materials around it.

Already striped female eggs ready for fertilization..

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 6:42pm On Oct 30, 2015
Ttalk:

1. Can you please explain the process of removing iron from water using that stated method above.

2. What is silica sand? Where it's being sold?
If your water have iron just get any little drum like the blue drum used for chemical add some silica sand in it LIKE BAR BEACH SAND :::: channel your water from your water source to pass through it before going to your vat or concrate pond ....
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chybyke4ly(m): 1:12am On Oct 31, 2015
Greetings to all and sundry, especialy d gurus them. A fwnd of mine who stays in Germany has bn wowed at how enticing and lucrative dis biz is ova dia, so he wants to invest in it with me and has asked me to send him a proposal.Am not dat creatv a writer, so plz does anyone knw how or whr i can lay ma hands on a compelling and well written proposal. I wuld immensely appreciate any help rendered in thos regard.help a bro in need, thanks y'all
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:20am On Oct 31, 2015
Flow through System in Action in one of our plastic hatchery vat ..incubation already in process newly hatched fries 36 hours old . You can see the reminant egg it will ne removed and siphoned imediately to avoid contaminating the newly hatched fries....

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:47am On Oct 31, 2015
our large concrate tanks used for hyper net System inside ..eggs are in incubation stage right now.. the hyper net is deep inside the concrete tanks

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:31am On Oct 31, 2015
2 MORE HATCHERY MANAGERS ARE NEEDED URGENTLY INTRESTED PERSON SHOULD CONTACT ME ASAP. THANKS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:48am On Oct 31, 2015
biyibd:
Hello my ogas, great job you're doing, please i'm a newbie here(agric section) though i'm not new to fish farming...i need a little networking with Oga Lagbaja, i switched to recirculating aquaculture system some months back and i stumbled on his 2013 post about a certain kind of pump - resun pump which he said can deliver 13,000ltr/hr and consumes about 200watts. Please help a brother, i'm in dire need of this kind of pump at the moment. Please help me draw Mr Lagbaja's attention to my post.
Regards

Hello sir, I will advice you quote any of his post to draw his attention or pm me I will send u his number. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by biyibd: 8:07am On Oct 31, 2015
Thank you for the response. I have quote one of his post but i guess he didnt notice. I will try and send a private mail to you right away. (will i need you to follow me on nairaland for the mail to deliver?)Thank you. My phone number is 08065402430 .
robonski15:

Hello sir, I will advice you quote any of his post to draw his attention or pm me I will send u his number. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 8:44am On Oct 31, 2015
biyibd:
Thank you for the response. I have quote one of his post but i guess he didnt notice. I will try and send a private mail to you right away. (will i need you to follow me on nairaland for the mail to deliver?)Thank you. My phone number is 08065402430 .

I got your mail I will send you his number..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by focus95: 9:39am On Oct 31, 2015
Wow great job u r doing here, Keep the good work going. Still undergraduate.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by biyibd: 11:30am On Oct 31, 2015
Thanks alot. I appreciate...i'l be expecting it.
robonski15:

I got your mail I will send you his number..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:49pm On Oct 31, 2015
biyibd:
Thanks alot. I appreciate...i'l be expecting it.

Sent!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 10:55pm On Oct 31, 2015
robonski15:

our large concrate tanks used for hyper net System inside ..eggs are in incubation stage right now.. the hyper net is deep inside the concrete tanks

. I notice the concrete tanks r not plastered outside, is this d best way it should be?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 9:25am On Nov 01, 2015
komakan:
Hope d desolved yolk will not pullute d water.
My thoughts exactly..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 4:05pm On Nov 01, 2015
Congrats Oga robonski.
More grease to your elbow.
And most importantly, more money to your pocket.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 12:30am On Nov 02, 2015
mercylicious:
Congrats Oga robonski.
More grease to your elbow.
And most importantly, more money to your pocket.

Thank you mercylicious... More money also to the farmers that will stock the fishes tongue
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Seunaina2(m): 10:41am On Nov 02, 2015
Hello everyone. A quick one

My fish are Four months and one week old. I plan to sell at six months but i want to change d formula to finisher.

1. Is it advisable to change to finisher now?

2. Ca anyone help come up with a finisher feed formula that i can use till harvest?

Thanks in anticipation
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TUNDESANCO(m): 11:46am On Nov 02, 2015
Your fone line is switched off
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 1:14pm On Nov 02, 2015
soft777:
Hmmmm... My advice for fish farmers here dont go buying every ingredient u see in every ones formula ..i have seen people paste formula containing maize, indomie and cassava flour together.....some containing molasis and flour together ... and some containing .. palm kanel cake and cotton seed cake together...Well i want us to know that, in fish and other animal production , is all just about converting one form of protein as in feed to another form of protein as in our fish product . So we should always try to make sure the cost of feed protein is not costlier than the actual fish itself, or else, we run at a lost . there are no stories about it ... How can we use maize indome and cassava flour together ..this is wrong, cause they are all starch, i mean carbohydrate its same nutrient , they all give to your fish . Its like eating eba ,fufu , and amala they may taste different ,but , they give same starch or energy to the body so why waste money buying 3 different ingredient with same end product .As a business man or profit making fish farmer , just check out of the 3 ingredients the one that is cheapest in your loccality and use it ...They practically give the same. Important is all other factors are done well like feed quality quantity , time of feeding to get the best fcr , temperature and water quality . its same result lets not break our heads over formula lol........... What we should do is that , ,both 3 ingredients are good , so as wise fish farmer we will compare the 3 prices in our locality cause feeds varies in prices depends on, what your locality have in bulk and see which is cheapest per kg and use it. Dont just mix every ingredient in the feed mill because u see mr A doing it and so you want to do the same .One ingredient to serve a source of nutrient is ok ... so dont use molasis and flour both are good binding agent dont use pkc and cotton seed cake they are both source of oil : use only the cheapest one nutrient source at a time ..it will reduce your cost of production. Why do u think some people buy fingerlings from same source and 1 person makes profit and the other finish all his money making ambigious feed , there by finishing there profit on feed .. We replace fish meal with soya meal and other source of protein because of the high cost of fish meal but we cant replace fish meal 100 percent cause there source are different ...fish meal is animal protein while soya is plant protein .. They are not totally thesame; thats why we use both fish meal and soya meal together . Soya can reduce the use of fish meal but not totally . Its still good to leave some percentage fish meal in your feed composition... like me , if i tell you in some stage of my feed production i dont use fish meal at all but i balance the animal protein with another cheaper animal protein and i get same result .Some people will raise eye brow and ask if its possible but yes very possible, its just to add what is called an attractant, a topic for another day stay tuned i will give the continuation of my write up 10pm today GOOD LUCK ...

1. Please what sort of Fish Meal are you referring to? Is it foreign type e.g Danish that cost close to N30,000 for 50kg or the local Fishmeal that cost half of the foreign one for the same 50kg.

2. What are the additional secret of enhancing the quality of local fishmeal to attain similar crude protein as foreign Fishmeal?

3. What are/is the attractant/s that will increase the palatability of locally made feed?

4. W|hat best time to feed that will guarantee maximum FCR

5. If FCR =1.0, that means to attain 1kg of fish will require 1.2kg of feed or thereabout(having factored feed wastage into the calculation),
a. What shortest month will it require for a fish to consume 1.2kg of feed?
b. How can one manipulate feeding to ensure a fish consume 1.2kg of feed in less than 4months and still maintain FCR of 1.0
c. Is it possible to you to bring the cost of 1.2kg of local feed to N150 presently, and still maintain FCR of 1.0 - 1.2. If yes, give a formula that
can guarantee this

Please dont be offended if you are not comfortable with any of my question because your idea and experience with other professors on this thread is enough for us to design a workable feed formulation template that is cost effective and reduce to the barest minimum importation of any form of feed ingredient in the production of feed.

I look forward to your quick and reliable opinion
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sham2007: 5:42pm On Nov 02, 2015
Ttalk:

for us to design a workable feed formulation template that is cost effective and reduce to the barest minimum importation of any form of feed ingredient in the production of feed.

I look forward to your quick and reliable opinion

This staement above is so on point
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 8:43pm On Nov 02, 2015
sham2007:

# I concor with you sir, d other day one of our ogas here was telling us abt potatoe leaves as another source of protein... sharing ideals n wat will benefit other should be welcomed n not condemned.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 8:47pm On Nov 02, 2015
sham2007:

# Oga soft777 you spoke well sir... I made similar mistake somtinz wen I use maize n still wen I add indomie only for me to realize maize is even better...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 2:31pm On Nov 03, 2015
Seunaina2:
Hello everyone. A quick one

My fish are Four months and one week old. I plan to sell at six months but i want to change d formula to finisher.

1. Is it advisable to change to finisher now?

2. Ca anyone help come up with a finisher feed formula that i can use till harvest?

Thanks in anticipation
U can look up ab1x finisher.

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.