Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,959 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (390) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1495766 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (387) (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by hary158: 7:22pm On Jul 09, 2017
my fishes r not eating...help
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by obanahim(m): 8:48pm On Jul 09, 2017
excelsiorfarm:
I didn't take any pics, but a lady recorded part of the training, i have tried to upload on nairaland but it keep failing, you can post your email and I will send the video to you, but all went great

Mondayegbon@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ademola1333(m): 9:42pm On Jul 09, 2017
egoldi01:
Good evening all. Please I direly need your advice especially the gurus in the house. I am new in catfish business but have a friend that knows about it. I moved the fishes (about 2100) from 2 earthen ponds of 30*50m each to a virgin pond of 30*55m 3 weeks ago. My friend treated the new pond before introducing the fishes. After 3 days, we sold about 400 and there was no death before and few days after the sales. The average weight was 0.7g to 1.0kg after 4 months 1 week from juvenile at the point of sales. The fishes were fed with Durante for 1 month, then Vital feeds for 2 months and local feeds afterwards. we were buying local feeds from a feedmill but unaware of the formulae been used as they refused to disclose it. After a week in the new pond, I started observing 1 death daily and later it became 2 daily.
We then introduced another feeds formulae last Thursday for improved results but now have disastrous deaths - over 10 today. There is no strange physical observation on any of the dead fish. The details of the newly introduced feeds is as detailed below for your review, analysis and advice:
Fm-20
broiler starter- 50
Gnc-40
Ts-40
MaiZe-30
Premix-1
Blood meal-20
Lysine-0.2
Vitc-0.2
Salt-0.2
Molasis-10
Floxinor-small
My friend has treated the pond about 2 times after the few deaths were noticed but this did not work. Also, I don't know the details of the treatment my friend gave. Kindly advice urgently please to salvage this situation
Are you sure he treated the pond well?
You may try this:
Get floating feed of about 2kg, floxinor, palm oil and salt. Pour the feed in a bowl. Using the lid of the floxinor bottle, measure 7 lids and mix thoroughly with the feed using your hands. Add small quantity of palm oil and mix thoroughly too. Floxinor is bitter, so starve them so that they will be forced to eat the feed. Give them the feed, at first throw they will rush it well. Sprinkle salt (500g will do) on them so that it touches their body. After sprinkling the salt, throw the remaining feed mixed with floxinor and palm oil.
Note: If you are going to try this, starve them for about 12hrs so that all will be forced to eat the feed. And observe them for some hours or a day before you continue with the feed you are giving them.
Moreover why would you by local feed whose formula you don't know?!

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ademola1333(m): 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2017
hary158:
my fishes r not eating...help
What type of feed are you using? Or do you change their feed recently?
Is the water okay?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by egoldi01: 10:20pm On Jul 09, 2017
ademola1333:

Are you sure he treated the pond well?
You may try this:
Get floating feed of about 2kg, floxinor, palm oil and salt. Pour the feed in a bowl. Using the lid of the floxinor bottle, measure 7 lids and mix thoroughly with the feed using your hands. Add small quantity of palm oil and mix thoroughly too. Floxinor is bitter, so starve them so that they will be forced to eat the feed. Give them the feed, at first throw they will rush it well. Sprinkle salt (500g will do) on them so that it touches their body. After sprinkling the salt, throw the remaining feed mixed with floxinor and palm oil.
Note: If you are going to try this, starve them for about 12hrs so that all will be forced to eat the feed. And observe them for some hours or a day before you continue with the feed you are giving them.
Moreover why would you by local feed whose formula you don't know?!
Thank you sir. I'll treat as advised.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OnuohaClever: 11:26pm On Jul 09, 2017
hmmm, finally i am here.... 389 pages!!! this is the knowledge base of fish farming. Robonski, exclesior, Ttalk, abx1 and co., may the Almoghty God continue to enrich you guys greatly for unveiling the "hidden secrets of catfish business".

My journey into this business started on the 22nd April 2017 when i was lured into the fish rearing business by a supposed friend (who was only interested in selling tarpaulin pond and expensive fingerlings @N50 naira to me). I was abandoned to my faith as i never saw him again because i guess he has achieved his objective which is to defraud me instead of mentoring me.

i was at cross roads as i had no prior experience until i stumbled on this thread on "the hidden truth of catfish business" on the 25th April 2017, as a good student i took my pen and paper, studied each page on the thread. i must say that as a newbie, i am already equipped with the best practices in catfish business.

Like i said earlier i stocked 1000 fingerlings (only to discover that it wasn't up 700 fingerlings because i was short changed as a result of not counting my fishes when it was delivered to me -- lesson learnt according to the Thread: Always count your fingerlings before you stock.
During the first week, my fingerlings (60 of them) where dying in the first week until i deployed deep water aerator (having read about it in this thread) in the second week. The aerator is integrated into my 2Kva inverter system in my house. Oh least i forget, i have a backyard farm in my house at Abuja measuring 125 Feet by 50 Feet full fenced with borehole to be used for fish farming. i have been getting tips on best practices on fish farming with consulting anyone for the past two months. Now let me share my experience so far with you guys;

1. Most of my fishes attained 400g in exactly two months after stocking (remember i told i did not deploy aerator in the first week)
2. I lost about 60 fingerlings in the first week before deployment of aerator but after the deployment of the aerator i have only lost 1 fish in two moths
3. i measured the weight again of my fish after Two months and 1 week, guess what? they now weigh 500g. That is additional 100g in a week
4. i change my fish pond water every 7 days thus reducing the overhead cost of changing water every 3 days ( the aerators are on 24/7 every day of the month
i don't think i can go with this business without a deep water aerator technology because with dissolved oxygen, your fishes grow faster and there will be no need for medication (as i not bought a single one).
I have sorted my fishes into two different ponds and i have also stcked additional 2000 hybrid fingerlings and so far only three have died as they are in their second week. i will upload pictures later
I really want to appreciate you guys for putting out this info for people like us to utilize. Robonski, i also want to join AQUABREN, please endeavour to furnish with details of how to become a member on my mail workwithclever@gmail.com
Almighty God will continue to bless the works of thy hand.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Emmafly(m): 11:26pm On Jul 09, 2017
dear house. I need matured female brood stocks of 3pcs for at least 5kg at ikorodu gberigbe axis call and what'sapp 08183549869. very urgent. am a hatcher I sell post fries at N2.5 each.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Emmafly(m): 9:22am On Jul 10, 2017
i have smoked catfish for sale all year round on any quantity. maturity is 6mths and above not melange so the meat is thick, tasty and can't shrink like melange. it has also gone through the normal life cycle of 6mths. it is river pond raised that's very healthy and natural and recommended for aged and pregnant women. it is 1kg size and above on live weight so not runted fish. properly degilled and seasoned. shelve life 3months. can be used for serving per meal cos it is cut not round. very affordable when compared to others. call me 08183549869. can supply anywhere in Nigeria. N3200 per kilogram dry weight. bulk purchase negotiable.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 10, 2017
investor partnership needed...if interested show interest and i'll forward the biz plan to your mail.
note:Location is Lagos state and concrete tanks already available on plot of well fenced compound...thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 10:57am On Jul 10, 2017
more
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 2:15pm On Jul 10, 2017
OnuohaClever:
hmmm, finally i am here.... 389 pages!!! this is the knowledge base of fish farming. Robonski, exclesior, Ttalk, abx1 and co., may the Almoghty God continue to enrich you guys greatly for unveiling the "hidden secrets of catfish business".

My journey into this business started on the 22nd April 2017 when i was lured into the fish rearing business by a supposed friend (who was only interested in selling tarpaulin pond and expensive fingerlings @N50 naira to me). I was abandoned to my faith as i never saw him again because i guess he has achieved his objective which is to defraud me instead of mentoring me.

i was at cross roads as i had no prior experience until i stumbled on this thread on "the hidden truth of catfish business" on the 25th April 2017, as a good student i took my pen and paper, studied each page on the thread. i must say that as a newbie, i am already equipped with the best practices in catfish business.

Like i said earlier i stocked 1000 fingerlings (only to discover that it wasn't up 700 fingerlings because i was short changed as a result of not counting my fishes when it was delivered to me -- lesson learnt according to the Thread: Always count your fingerlings before you stock.
During the first week, my fingerlings (60 of them) where dying in the first week until i deployed deep water aerator (having read about it in this thread) in the second week. The aerator is integrated into my 2Kva inverter system in my house. Oh least i forget, i have a backyard farm in my house at Abuja measuring 125 Feet by 50 Feet full fenced with borehole to be used for fish farming. i have been getting tips on best practices on fish farming with consulting anyone for the past two months. Now let me share my experience so far with you guys;

1. Most of my fishes attained 400g in exactly two months after stocking (remember i told i did not deploy aerator in the first week)
2. I lost about 60 fingerlings in the first week before deployment of aerator but after the deployment of the aerator i have only lost 1 fish in two moths
3. i measured the weight again of my fish after Two months and 1 week, guess what? they now weigh 500g. That is additional 100g in a week
4. i change my fish pond water every 7 days thus reducing the overhead cost of changing water every 3 days ( the aerators are on 24/7 every day of the month
i don't think i can go with this business without a deep water aerator technology because with dissolved oxygen, your fishes grow faster and there will be no need for medication (as i not bought a single one).
I have sorted my fishes into two different ponds and i have also stcked additional 2000 hybrid fingerlings and so far only three have died as they are in their second week. i will upload pictures later
I really want to appreciate you guys for putting out this info for people like us to utilize. Robonski, i also want to join AQUABREN, please endeavour to furnish with details of how to become a member on my mail workwithclever@gmail.com

I congratulate you on your success on first attempt. Your seed despite being expensive must have been very good seed. What feed did you use?
Where in Abuja your farm is located so i will pay you visit very soon
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by infotainment(m): 2:25pm On Jul 10, 2017
OnuohaClever:

To Join AQUABREN pls call CHILANFARM on 07065874135
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by obanahim(m): 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2017
jamp:
House I want to buy plastic tank for my fishes.
Pls advice me on which one to buy.
2 of 2000 liters or 4000 liters

how did u prepare your plastic tank for your fishes and the testimony of your pond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OnuohaClever: 6:47pm On Jul 10, 2017
@ Ttalk, i used coppens 1.5mm and 3mm for the two months, my farm is at Ushafa (after Dutse Alhaji) in Bwari. i also want to meet with you to discuss biz (since u are into feed pelletizing) going forward. Add me up on Whatsapp so that we can chat up. my phone number is 07030382282.

I am uploading some pix of my farm as promised

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OnuohaClever: 6:49pm On Jul 10, 2017
addional pix

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dataking: 7:23pm On Jul 10, 2017
Are you using tarpaulin over a concrete pond or its a seperate pond for fingerlins
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gboisgroups(m): 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2017
Where can I get Smoked catfish in Nigeria. Smoked catfish for sale at an affordable price which you can buy and stock in your house for the ceremony and doesn't get spoilt. Smoked catfish price in Nigeria. The catfish goes in all African dish. We can also supply as much as possible to you for resale and for ceremony purposes. This our smoked catfish is tested and trusted in our cooking pot. Just place your order and we get it to you.
Contact us on Whatsapp: 07014637894.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ademola1333(m): 10:09pm On Jul 10, 2017
OnuohaClever:
@ Ttalk, i used coppens 1.5mm and 3mm for the two months, my farm is at Ushafa (after Dutse Alhaji) in Bwari. i also want to meet with you to discuss biz (since u are into feed pelletizing) going forward. Add me up on Whatsapp so that we can chat up. my phone number is 07030382282.

I am uploading some pix of my farm as promised

Pls can you show the pix of the aerator. What's the product name/model, the cost and location of getting the aerator. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amba2017: 10:22pm On Jul 10, 2017
I have table size cat fish(0.8kg- 1.5kg) for sale at affordable price in PH . 0 8063393168
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by duullie88(m): 7:23am On Jul 11, 2017
playbrain1089:

1.what sizes/stages of fishes are u bringing to ur pond..eg..fingerlings, juvenile or table size..well u might not need to disinfect them if u are bringing them from a trusted farm..mostly if u are bringing in fingerlings or juveniles..

2. You can wash ur tarp pond with salt or better still use fish bioxide after which you soak it with water for some days before using...and dont forget to drain the water and refil with fresh water before stocking...hope this helps..

Thanks. . I appreciate
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OnuohaClever: 7:57am On Jul 11, 2017
i used tarpaulin pond for fingerlings
dataking:
Are you using tarpaulin over a concrete pond or its a seperate pond for fingerlins
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by PrinceAlaba(m): 6:51pm On Jul 11, 2017
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ademola1333(m): 9:46pm On Jul 11, 2017
PrinceAlaba:
pls, house, I stocked 500pcs juvenile in my hearten pond, now this the 4th week and have started seeing one dead fish per day, am feeding them well with Skretting feed, pls how can I stop d death
When did the mortality start? Is the water okay?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Emmafly(m): 10:42pm On Jul 11, 2017
PrinceAlaba:
pls, house, I stocked 500pcs juvenile in my hearten pond, now this the 4th week and have started seeing one dead fish per day, am feeding them well with Skretting feed, pls how can I stop d death
look for 5 pawpaw leaves and a hand full of bitter leaf . squeeze lightly and pour into your pond. for three days.
stop feeding for now
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by PrinceAlaba(m): 5:29am On Jul 12, 2017
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by alee001: 10:04am On Jul 12, 2017
Good morning house.Please what kind of salt can I use to treat my fishes of trichodina ?I read somewhere that salt can be used but It has to be salt without iodine or anticaking agent. I am not sure how authentic the article I read is and this type of salt is hard to get,Can i use normal table salt.Please advice needed urgently.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ademola1333(m): 10:27am On Jul 12, 2017
alee001:

Good morning house.Please what kind of salt can I use to treat my fishes of trichodina ?I read somewhere that salt can be used but It has to be salt without iodine or anticaking agent. I am not sure how authentic the article I read is and this type of salt is hard to get,Can i use normal table salt.Please advice needed urgently.
http://goldfish2care4.com/goldfish-diseases/trichodina.html
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by alee001: 11:12am On Jul 12, 2017
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 9Ace: 11:36am On Jul 12, 2017
get ur tbc at a ridiculous price that will leave jaw-dropped, special offer available for resellers aswell call or whatsapp 08133721021
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amba2017: 1:50pm On Jul 12, 2017
Great farmers in the house, I learnt that some people are using chemical to rear fishes? my question is ; is it not poisonous for consumers?
does anybody have idea of this chemical, if possible the pix of the container?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Emmafly(m): 7:15pm On Jul 12, 2017
good day house, my name is Emmanuel. I can answer any question relating to catfish rearing in earthen ponds. feel free to ask your questions. from feeding, rearing, stocking density, treatment etc. thank you. 08183549869. whatsapp only. no cost attached. just a voluntary farmer.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by FMCASH(m): 2:46am On Jul 13, 2017
For your earthen pond construction at affordable rate, please contact ABS Aquaconsult, 09064017463 or 07065317036, thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (387) (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.