Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,579 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:35 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (431) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491223 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by akpobo2k: 6:38pm On Feb 15, 2018
Broodstocks for sale
Sex: Male and Female
Quality Record: Excellent
Size:  From 2 to 3.5Kg
Sales day: Monday - Saturday
Contact number and Whatsapp: 08033805102
Address: Techlean Fishery, Port Harcourt
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:49pm On Feb 15, 2018
ikeokoye:
Plz what could cause broken skull on catfish, my friend discovered around 10 cases this morning. Plz we need help
lack of VitC in their feed. Treat b4 it spread. If it's a foreign feed change immediately. Fortify their feed with VitC and calcium.

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:50pm On Feb 15, 2018
pricelesshoney:
Hello house, please house I want to invest in fish farm,I have been following this thread for two years now and I know I will get all the help I need here. Because of financial constraint I want to start with tarpaulin that can take about a 1000 fishes to table size, wwwhat is the length × breadth I need?Hope the tarpaulin will not damage the growth of the fish?how much does this tarpaulin cost plus set up? And what is this aerator pump I have been hearing lately?
10*15*5ft will be ohk.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olasunks(m): 2:27pm On Feb 16, 2018
I have two new high quality reinforced tarpaulin pond for sale size 7x10x4. Interested and serious buyers should call 08030880610.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NCFarms: 4:40pm On Feb 16, 2018
http://ncfarm.com.ng

We have healthy, fast and strong fingerlings and juveniles @ NC Farm. Location is Along, Bwari express rd, Abuja

Contact us - NC Farms 08139361678 ( Whatsapp)
Info@ncfarm.com.ng

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Dank1u(m): 6:55pm On Feb 16, 2018
olasunks:
I have two new high quality reinforced tarpaulin pond for sale size 7x10x4. Interested and serious buyers should call 08030880610.

Location and price?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fish4wealth: 7:07pm On Feb 16, 2018
[quote author=barby008 post=65080746][/quote]

Improve on this, ain't looking nice....weldone
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:03pm On Feb 17, 2018
olasunks:

Location..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by akpobo2k: 5:44pm On Feb 17, 2018
We have healthy fingerlings @ Techlean Farm.
Location is Port Harcourt
Contact us - 08033805102
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by novexme(m): 6:08pm On Feb 18, 2018
They are all Resun Oxygen pumps,There are 3 diff capacities 3000L/Hr(N60,000) 4200L/Hr(N75,000) and 8400L/Hr(N95,000). Location is ipaja, LagosAll comes with 4 Air splitters (4,6,8,16 outlets respectively). 100meters air hose and 8 air stones.

Also in the package are 8 plastic elbows and 8 plastic tees to connect the hose. All in one package.

Easy DIY Installation.Enhances fish growth, feed conversion ratio, Water oxygen level, Fish Metabolism and Reduces fish mortality.

Very essential for Fish farmers.

Delivery is 2weeks and Payment before delivery.

call 07036871939 for all enquiry.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by novexme(m): 7:10pm On Feb 18, 2018
lobell:

Many farmers will be interested in these products but might not be comfortable with Payment before delivery. Using an escrow service assures them that they will get what they are paying for or get their money back and it helps you to know that your buyer is committed. It's both a payment on delivery and payment before delivery because the buyer pays but the money is held in escrow until you deliver. We are calling it the Nigerian ebay. See link below and in my signature and signup today.
Escrow is actually allowed. Thanks for the suggestion.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cbnobia: 7:11pm On Feb 18, 2018
Good day all.I have read this thread from the beginning and want to use this opportunity to that all those who have given such invaluable resource to newbies like me.I am located in Umuahia and have been in the catfish business for 18months now.It has been a roller coaster ride but I thank God for all the learning experiences. One of the challenges I had was that of poor quality fish seeds(fingerlings).I then decided to learn how to hatch myself and actually did unsuccessfully five times.I applied all the strategies I read up on this thread with minimal success and I am sure I am still getting some things wrong.I spawned yesterday and the fry are still hatching now.Pls when do I start the aerator?At what speed should it run?Is it at the highest,lowest or medium speeds?When do I start flow through?Is it when the yolk has been fully absorbed? I would really appreciate your useful responses.I really want to get beyond day 3 this time.Many thanks in advance.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NCFarms: 9:56pm On Feb 18, 2018
cbnobia:
Good day all.I have read this thread from the beginning and want to use this opportunity to that all those who have given such invaluable resource to newbies like me.I am located in Umuahia and have been in the catfish business for 18months now.It has been a roller coaster ride but I thank God for all the learning experiences. One of the challenges I had was that of poor quality fish seeds(fingerlings).I then decided to learn how to hatch myself and actually did unsuccessfully five times.I applied all the strategies I read up on this thread with minimal success and I am sure I am still getting some things wrong.I spawned yesterday and the fry are still hatching now.Pls when do I start the aerator?At what speed should it run?Is it at the highest,lowest or medium speeds?When do I start flow through?Is it when the yolk has been fully absorbed? I would really appreciate your useful responses.I really want to get beyond day 3 this time.Many thanks in advance.

Sorry for the 5 failures, but i believe with the level of determination you have, you will succed this time. I just started hatching not too long with couple of success.

First, your flow through should come up the moment the eggs have been placed on the net, though with minimal pressure ( So not to disturb the eggs).

Secondly, I dont use aerator. I believe experts in the house will assist you on this.

Hope you monitor your water pH, very paramount, you need a pH meter. Then hope you disinfect your hatching tank after every successful or unsuccessful hatch.

My few suggestion. Wish you luck.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:44am On Feb 19, 2018
cbnobia:

You need a constant flow through of water at a reduced speed so as not to hurt the larva. Aerator usage depends on your hatchery setup most especially at early stage. Always ensures constant temperature at this stage and maintain a dark hatchery environment. That doesnt mean you should suffocate the hatchlings. Dont stress the larva with too much siphoning, the flow through would compensate for that.

Dont wait for all the egg to hatch before removing the net. 90% hatched egg then you remove the net

Keep me posted on the development.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by PoWConsulting: 11:00am On Feb 19, 2018
THE BIGGEST AGRIBUSINESS PROMO IN NIGERIA IS HERE AGAIN!!!

Purchase 5 IN 1 Business Manual and Get 1 Business Plan for FREE at the Cheapest and Affordable Price Ever!!!

This is for the Youths, Employed, Unemployed, Underemployed, Civil servants, Artisans and ALL NIGERIANS. Pay-Less-Get-More... Become self employed today!

The 5 IN 1 Business Manual contains:
1. Manual on Cosmetics and Soap Production: How to produce 35 Soap and cosmetics products… Black Soap (Liquid and Bar), Detergent powder, Solid detergent, Liquid Soap, Toilet Soap, Toilet Cleanser, Medicated Soap, Laundry Soap (Paste and Bar), Car wash Soap , Olive oil Soap, Anti-dandroff shampoo, Bleach, Toilet roll, Body Cream, Hair Cream, Hair Conditioner, Relaxer, Styling Gels etc.

2. Manual on Bakery, Pastries and Confectioneries: How to produce 28 products…Cassava bread, Plain bread, Wheat bread, Cakes, Meat pie, Doughnut, buns, Sausage roll, Scotch egg, Ice cream, Yoghurt, Cookies etc.

3. Manual on Fruit Juice and Drink Production: How to produce, preserve and package Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice, Zobo Drink and Palm wine Drink. This process technology will extend the shelf life of the products for more than six months!

4. Manual on Edible Mushroom Cultivation: The process technology for cultivating, harvesting, Processing and Packaging Edible Mushrooms. A great, Unique and Profitable Agribusiness.

5. Manual on Vegetables Farming: How to cultivate Ugwu leaf, Bitter leaf, Water leaf, Jute leaf, Shoko leaf, Dwarf pawpaw and Cucumber using the best cultivation practices, organic fertilizers and seeds

Another 5 IN 1 Business Manual contains: Cassava processing into Gari, Odourless Fufu Flour, High Quality Cassava Flour, Industrial Cassava Starch, and Adhesives from Cassava Starch

Purchase the 5 IN 1 Manual and Get 1 of these Business Plans for FREE!!!

1. Business Plan on Grasscutter Farming: How to profitably rear, process and package grasscutters with information on where you can get High Quality and mature breeds of grasscutters, cage and other inputs. A comprehensive & bankable business plan for prospective entrepreneurs… Call to get the Table of Contents.

2. Business plan on Catfish Production and Processing: A Bankable Business Plan on Catfish production from Hatchery to Smoked fish…Call to get the Table of Contents.

3. Business Plan on the Establishment of a Small scale Mechanized Gari Production Centre. Call to get the Table of Contents.

4. Business Plan on Production, Preservation and Packaging of Instant Plantain Flour, Non Instant Yam Flour, and Beans Flour. Call to get the Table of Contents.

5. Business Plan on Broilers Production and Table Egg Production

AND MANY MORE!!!

These manuals contain information on the best production practice, improved variety of seeds, best fertilizer for planting, best process technology from foremost research Institutes in Nigeria. It also contains practical photos of the processes, procedures, equipments and machineries, and source of these inputs (ingredients, chemicals, equipments etc) in Nigeria.

Our business plan gives a holistic feasibility report of the production and technical plan, market analysis, marketing plan, personnel and labour management and most importantly, the financial plan which is standard and BANKABLE!!!

Contact our Agribusiness Investment Analyst on +2347039664655 for more information

WhatsApp: +2347039664655

Visit our Facebook page at Pillars of Wealth Consulting Limited for more agribusiness investment opportunities

Email: pillarsofwealthconsulting@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by novexme(m): 11:37am On Feb 19, 2018
Resun Oxygen pumps now selling.

3 diff capacities available:-
3000L/Hr @ N60,000
4200L/Hr @ N75,000
and 8400L/Hr @ N95,000.
Location is ipaja, Lagos.
All pumps come with 4 Air splitters (4,6,8,16 outlets respectively). 100meters air hose and 8 air stones.

Also in the package are 8 plastic elbows and 8 plastic tees to connect the hose.

All in one package.
Easy DIY Installation.
It Enhances fish growth, feed conversion ratio, Water oxygen level, Fish Metabolism and Reduces fish mortality.

Very essential for Fish farmers.
Nationwide Delivery is 2weeks. Payment before delivery and Escrow options available.

call Deji on 07036871939 for all enquiry.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cbnobia: 7:14pm On Feb 19, 2018
NCFarms:

Sorry for the 5 failures, but i believe with the level of determination you have, you will succed this time. I just started hatching not too long with couple of success.

First, your flow through should come up the moment the eggs have been placed on the net, though with minimal pressure ( So not to disturb the eggs).

Secondly, I dont use aerator. I believe experts in the house will assist you on this.

Hope you monitor your water pH, very paramount, you need a pH meter. Then hope you disinfect your hatching tank after every successful or unsuccessful hatch.

My few suggestion. Wish you luck.
Thank you sir for your response.I truly appreciate. I removed the net at 24hrs post spawning.There were a lot of larvae swimming actively at the bottom of the vat.I also started flow through with the turn down pipe properly set since last night. I hatched with two vats.This morning I started the aerator in one of the vat at medium speed in combination with the flow through.I want to see the effect of the aerator relative to the flow through alone. As at this evening most of the larvae are dead with only a few (~10%) still active in both vats.My water pH is 8.It was 4 initially but I added sodium bicarbonate in the overhead tank to achieve a pH of 8. Is this normal?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cbnobia: 7:18pm On Feb 19, 2018
Ttalk:

You need a constant flow through of water at a reduced speed so as not to hurt the larva. Aerator usage depends on your hatchery setup most especially at early stage. Always ensures constant temperature at this stage and maintain a dark hatchery environment. That doesnt mean you should suffocate the hatchlings. Dont stress the larva with too much siphoning, the flow through would compensate for that.

Dont wait for all the egg to hatch before removing the net. 90% hatched egg then you remove the net

Keep me posted on the development.
Thank you sir for your response.I covered the vats with tarpauline to maintain the dark environment and temperature. Is this OK?I waited for 24hrs before removing the net.There were still some unhatched larvae on the
net.How do I prevent suffocation? When do I start siphoning.I was told to siphon after the yolk has been absorbed .This I expect starting from tomorrow.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Geebee5: 11:38pm On Feb 19, 2018
Started from page zero! The wealth of information can't be overlooked. Thanks Robonski and everyone who has helped out in their own way. May God bless you and continue to prosper your business. I stay around Akute and I don't mind if I anyone can be my mentor... I'm a newbie and I don't want to start out just like that. Although, I'm learning from a friend who owns a fish farm. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by teeepen: 8:06am On Feb 20, 2018
Francisco01:

Thank OmoOshodi for the opportunity, I will like to have it too at obilo.alozie@gmail.com
Thank you
anthonyoyegbile@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 11:48am On Feb 20, 2018
cbnobia:

Thank you sir for your response.I truly appreciate. I removed the net at 24hrs post spawning.There were a lot of larvae swimming actively at the bottom of the vat.I also started flow through with the turn down pipe properly set since last night. I hatched with two vats.This morning I started the aerator in one of the vat at medium speed in combination with the flow through.I want to see the effect of the aerator relative to the flow through alone. As at this evening most of the larvae are dead with only a few (~10%) still active in both vats.My water pH is 8.It was 4 initially but I added sodium bicarbonate in the overhead tank to achieve a pH of 8. Is this normal?

Your case is a peculiar case that requires troubleshooting to know the cause of the mortality.

First of all please pay attention to details in hatchery operation. Small negligence could cause vital damage even if you are pro.

Now this 4 reasons could likely be the cause

1. What size are your broodstocks male/female and do you have the idea of their age.

2. Do you still cover your pond after removing the net at this hot temperature. if you do you must have lost the fries to increase temperature

3. I dont recommend buffering to beginners because of inability to control pH fluctuation. If you have pH of above 6 you dont have to buffer it to get result. pH fluctuation is deadlier than average pH.

4. Can you describe the current of your waterflow as well as aeration. Picture or short video could help in this regard.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by webhostbiz: 1:38pm On Feb 20, 2018
pls how many catfish can be reared in 50ftx100ft x4ft earthen pond to mélange. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cbnobia: 6:19pm On Feb 20, 2018
Ttalk:

Your case is a peculiar case that requires troubleshooting to know the cause of the mortality.

First of all please pay attention to details in hatchery operation. Small negligence could cause vital damage even if you are pro.

Now this 4 reasons could likely be the cause

1. What size are your broodstocks male/female and do you have the idea of their age.

2. Do you still cover your pond after removing the net at this hot temperature. if you do you must have lost the fries to increase temperature

3. I dont recommend buffering to beginners because of inability to control pH fluctuation. If you have pH of above 6 you dont have to buffer it to get result. pH fluctuation is deadlier than average pH.

4. Can you describe the current of your waterflow as well as aeration. Picture or short video could help in this regard.

Thanks Ttalk ,this is very enlightening.The female is 14months and she is 1.3kg .The male is 20mths and he was 2kg.The male, I raised from fingerling stage.I bought the female from another farm in Uyo sometime in October last year.I wasn't sure of her age even though I was told it was one yr.I decided to keep her till now.I have some other females but they are spent spawners.One of them should recover by next month.I don't do inbreeding.I actually covered the vats after removing the nets and that must be why the larvae have all died as at today despite the continous flow through.I guess the temperature was too high like you pointed out.I noticed the high temperature each time I remove the tarpauline but I felt that the cover would prevent rapid change in temperature especially at night.I have noted the point on using buffers .I hope to apply all this info in my next trial hopefully by next month.I would make a short video of my flow through system for your input and would be glad if you can offer me any other useful guide.I appreciate you and all for your interest.Many thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NCFarms: 9:09pm On Feb 20, 2018
That rate of mortality is not normal. From what you have done, i can draw some inferences...

1. You said you removed the spawnimg net after 24 hours, i suspect the unhatched eggs have contaminated the rest. Usually, during this hot weather it takes between 20-22hrs for the eggs to start hatching (less than 24hrs), and further extention can cause damage. Was ur water foaming when you removed the net? If yes, thats the cause...

2. I suspect you didnt disinfect before spawning. I usually use bleach for that.

3. Your female broadstock eggs mighy not be very matured. Did you check the eggs, u will see an orange dot inside.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NCFarms: 9:14pm On Feb 20, 2018
Goodevening house, please are they more effective and efficient method of removing waste from hatching tanks ( 0 - 14days), apart from the normal siphoning waste out, spining the waste and siphoning fries back to the tank.

Because, most time its almost impossible to return the fries back to the hatching tank without picking some waste along. While some of the fries stay under the waste.

Thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mekd: 5:42am On Feb 21, 2018
Good morning fellow farmers, Please who knows where I can buy fish feed pelletiser or extruder In portharcourt. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cbnobia: 7:16am On Feb 21, 2018
NCFarms:
That rate of mortality is not normal. From what you have done, i can draw some inferences...

1. You said you removed the spawnimg net after 24 hours, i suspect the unhatched eggs have contaminated the rest. Usually, during this hot weather it takes between 20-22hrs for the eggs to start hatching (less than 24hrs), and further extention can cause damage. Was ur water foaming when you removed the net? If yes, thats the cause...

2. I suspect you didnt disinfect before spawning. I usually use bleach for that.

3. Your female broadstock eggs mighy not be very matured. Did you check the eggs, u will see an orange dot inside.

Thank you sir for your response. I can see the questions are laced qith experience.The water was not foaming when I removed the net. The foaming was noticed on day 2.Nearly 24hrs after removing the net.I used soap and water first to wash the vat.The second washing was with bleach, the third with salt.Though not a conventional method, I decided to do it this way because of my previous bad experiences and the hope of getting a better result.Some of my previous unsuccessful hatching failures was because I did not inspect for the dots in the eggs .My trainer taught me that early this year.Right now that is what I use to select my suitable female broodstock for hatching.Remember I said I have several females.This particular one was selected because of the dots on the eggs.Some of the ones I used in the past had no dots on their eggs and that is why they did not hatch. I will appreciate further responses.Many thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tosade01(m): 9:28am On Feb 21, 2018
Catfish of 700g-1.2kg available for sales at Akute @ 750/kg. Pchat me if interested.

(1) (2) (3) ... (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.