Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,723 members, 7,820,511 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (432) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1495524 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) (435) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by novexme(m): 5:34pm On Feb 21, 2018
cbnobia:
Good day all.I have read this thread from the beginning and want to use this opportunity to that all those who have given such invaluable resource to newbies like me.I am located in Umuahia and have been in the catfish business for 18months now.It has been a roller coaster ride but I thank God for all the learning experiences. One of the challenges I had was that of poor quality fish seeds(fingerlings).I then decided to learn how to hatch myself and actually did unsuccessfully five times.I applied all the strategies I read up on this thread with minimal success and I am sure I am still getting some things wrong.I spawned yesterday and the fry are still hatching now.Pls when do I start the aerator?At what speed should it run?Is it at the highest,lowest or medium speeds?When do I start flow through?Is it when the yolk has been fully absorbed? I would really appreciate your useful responses.I really want to get beyond day 3 this time.Many thanks in advance.

You need an aerator also my broda, don't play down the relief it would give you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by novexme(m): 5:45pm On Feb 21, 2018
Benefits of Using Aeration Pumps

Why Your Pond Needs An Air Pump?

The One Accessory You Should Buy. If you’re not using an air pump on your pond, you probably don’t realize what a big risk you are taking.

It’s amazing how many fish farmers up to this day have yet to discover the benefits of an air pump.
Pond Aeration“Aeration,” in one word, sums up the reason why your pond needs an air pump.
Pond aeration is as essential to ponds as air, particularly oxygen, is essential for us to live.

In lakes and ponds, not only fish are dependent on dissolved oxygen (DO) supply in the water. Many other organisms in the water also depend on it to function well and survive.
A shortage of oxygen opens a Pandora’s Box of problems to your pond’s water quality and clarity, which can rapidly escalate to fish deaths sooner than you expect.
So unless you are willing to take the risk of suffering the consequences from poor pond aeration, a pond air pump is a must.

Don’t Ponds Get Naturally Aerated?

Ponds get naturally aerated, but not adequately. Unlike mountain streams or raging rivers that have higher DO levels, the comparatively still waters in ponds don’t get additional aeration benefit from energised water movement.
In addition, air contains only about 20% oxygen. So even if oxygen diffused from the atmosphere dissolves passively into the water, the amount is far too low to be sufficient.
To make matters even worse, several factors further decrease the level of DO in the water.

Some of them are:
Rising temperature – the demand for oxygen rises as temperature goes up due to increased metabolic rates of fish and other aquatic life.

Fish population and size – the more fish you have in the pond, and the bigger they are, the more oxygen is used up.

Decomposing organic matter – fish and animal wastes, fertiliser run-offs dead leaves, etc make up organic matter in the pond that requires a lot of oxygen to decompose.

Submerged plants and algae – these take in oxygen in the night, which contributes to the drop of oxygen levels after sun down.

Oxygen consuming bacteria – oxygen is required by aerobic bacteria in order to efficiently breakdown nutrients and toxic substances, like ammonia.
The more nutrients and organic wastes are in the water, the more oxygen is consumed by these bacteria.

Presence of other water solutes and use of treatment products reduce DO.

Given these facts, it’s just logical to conclude that ponds need additional help to keep topping-up their exhausted dissolved oxygen supplies.

However, some unconvinced pond owners argue that their ponds have been problem-free even without using pond aerators.

Maybe so, but as your pond gets older, more organic sediments accumulate, fish get bigger and aerobic bacteria multiply.

Increased demand of oxygen soon takes a serious toll on your water’s oxygen levels and it is just a matter of time before problems surface up.

Why Air Pumps and Not Any Other Pond Aerators:

There are different sorts of pond aerators available to address pond aeration. However, tests show that pond air pumps are most efficient in diffusing sufficient oxygen throughout the body of water and not only on the surface.
Because pond air pumps rely on air movement to oxygenate, the rate of oxygen diffused is relatively higher than other pond aerators that rely on water movement, like waterfalls and venturis.

So with efficient pond or lake aerators, you can be certain to get the following benefits:*

Prevention of fish death due to oxygen depletion.

Keep useful aerobic bacteria active.

Promote the break-down of toxic substances in the water, like ammonia and nitrite.

Stop the release of toxic gases due to lack of oxygen.

Avoid rotten egg smell coming out of your pond caused by production of toxic gases.

Inhibit the growth of unsightly algae.

Help maintain clear water.

Raised oxygen levels in filters resulting to improved filter performance. Mainly for recirculatory systems.

Healthier Fish.

Will Any Type of Air Pump Do?

Not any kind of pond air pump will guarantee you the above benefits. To get the most out of a pond air pump, it is extremely important to choose the right size and quality. To find out what size of air pump will be efficient enough for your pond, calculate how many litres your pond has and calculate the size of air pump needed.

In terms of quality, just like you can’t expect the perks of a Rolls Royce from a Kia, so you can’t expect to gain equal advantages from different types of air pumps. If the “Rolls Royce” of air pumps at a reasonable price is what you want, then Resun Air Pumps are the best pond aerators for you.

These are “THE” top of the line pond air pumps used for many years in fish ponds and earthen ponds for their high performance, reliability, energy efficiency and ultra silent operation.

This air pump comes complete with additional Accessories added by us to make Installation hassle free and easily outperforms conventional air pumps.

Regardless of its size, a pond should not be without an efficient air pump.

Order the right size and quality air pumps for your fish farms now.

call Deji on 07036871939 to place your orders

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 12:37pm On Feb 22, 2018

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olasunks(m): 1:19am On Feb 23, 2018
Dank1u:

Location and price?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 6:38am On Feb 23, 2018
cbnobia:

Thank you sir for your response.I truly appreciate. I removed the net at 24hrs post spawning.There were a lot of larvae swimming actively at the bottom of the vat.I also started flow through with the turn down pipe properly set since last night. I hatched with two vats.This morning I started the aerator in one of the vat at medium speed in combination with the flow through.I want to see the effect of the aerator relative to the flow through alone. As at this evening most of the larvae are dead with only a few (~10%) still active in both vats.My water pH is 8.It was 4 initially but I added sodium bicarbonate in the overhead tank to achieve a pH of 8. Is this normal?
8 is high, u need btw 6.5-7|<7.5 work on ur water
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Geebee5: 11:51am On Feb 23, 2018
Geebee5:
Started from page zero! The wealth of information can't be overlooked. Thanks Robonski and everyone who has helped out in their own way. May God bless you and continue to prosper your business. I stay around Akute and I don't mind if I anyone can be my mentor... I'm a newbie and I don't want to start out just like that. Although, I'm learning from a friend who owns a fish farm. Thanks
Even though I have to pay to learn at your feet I don't mind... If it is free too, no problem�. Please help a newbie. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 1:22pm On Feb 23, 2018
I just recorded a mortality of 500 juveniles in 2days pls always check the kinda feed you buy am still trying to arrest the situation, any help pls,I stop feed them the feed and I have changed water severally
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by somyjuls: 2:24pm On Feb 23, 2018
Hello everyone...I 've been following this thread for a long time...and am working in a very large fish farm in Agbani Enugu...we ran an experiment with a natural water cleaner product that can help water management for up to 2 weeks without changing water.. it's been one week plus some days the water doesn't smell but the colour has changed..then today I noticed one fish died with a swollen side in that same pond while the fish in one other treated pond are also raising head..what do you guys advice pls.. we also have up to 1kg fishes for sale in the farm...interested? Let me know...ur advice pls

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by somyjuls: 2:25pm On Feb 23, 2018
This the fish that died

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:15pm On Feb 24, 2018
aragon4realz:
I just recorded a mortality of 500 juveniles in 2days pls always check the kinda feed you buy am still trying to arrest the situation, any help pls,I stop feed them the feed and I have changed water severally

Hello sir , sorry about the mortality. What is the name of the feed u were using?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by PoWConsulting: 7:11pm On Feb 24, 2018
PROMO! PROMO!! PROMO!!!

BUY TWO, GET ONE FREE!!!

Purchase one of the following Business Plans or Manuals and get one FREE!!! You get to choose!

1. Business Plan on Grasscutter Farming: How to profitably rear, process and package grasscutters with information on where you can get High Quality and mature breeds of grasscutters, cage and other inputs. A comprehensive & bankable business plan for prospective entrepreneurs… Call to get the Table of Contents.

2. Business plan on Catfish Production and Processing: A Bankable Business Plan on Catfish production from Hatchery to Smoked fish…Call to get the Table of Contents.

3. Business Plan on the Establishment of a Small scale Mechanized Gari Production Centre. Call to get the Table of Contents.

4. Business Plan on Instant Plantain Flour Production. Call to get the Table of Contents.

5. Business Plan on Custard Powder Production. Call to get the Table of Contents.

6. Manual on Cosmetics and Soap Production: How to produce 35 Soap and cosmetics products… Black Soap (Liquid and Bar), Detergent powder, Solid detergent, Liquid Soap, Toilet Soap, Toilet Cleanser, Medicated Soap, Laundry Soap (Paste and Bar), Car wash Soap , Olive oil Soap, Anti-dandroff shampoo, Bleach, Toilet roll, Body Cream, Hair Cream, Hair Conditioner, Relaxer, Styling Gels etc.

7. Manual on Bakery, Pastries and Confectioneries: How to produce 28 products…Cassava bread, Plain bread, Wheat bread, Cakes, Meat pie, Doughnut, buns, Sausage roll, Scotch egg, Ice cream, Yoghurt, Cookies etc.

8. Manual on Fruit Juice and Drink Production: How to produce, preserve and package Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice, Zobo Drink and Palm wine Drink. This process technology will extend the shelf life of the products for more than six months!

9. Manual on Edible Mushroom Cultivation: The process technology for cultivating, harvesting, Processing and Packaging Edible Mushrooms. A great, Unique and Profitable Agribusiness.

10. Manual on Vegetables Farming: How to cultivate Ugwu leaf, Bitter leaf, Water leaf, Jute leaf, Shoko leaf, Dwarf pawpaw and Cucumber using the best cultivation practices, organic fertilizers and seeds

11. Manual on Cassava processing into Gari

12. Manual on Cassava processing into Odourless Fufu Flour

13. Manual on Cassava processing into High Quality Cassava Flour

14. Manual on Cassava processing into Industrial Cassava Starch

15. Manual on Cassava processing into Fermented Cassava Flour (Lafun)

16. Manual on Cassava processing into Adhesives from Cassava Starch

17. Manual on Plantain Chips Production, Preservation and Packaging

18. Manual on Instant Plantain Flour Production

19. Manual on Poundo Yam Flour Production, Preservation and Packaging

AND MANY MORE!!!

These manuals contain information on the best production practice, improved variety of seeds, best fertilizer for planting, best process technology from foremost research Institutes in Nigeria. It also contains practical photos of the processes, procedures, equipments and machineries, and source of these inputs (ingredients, chemicals, equipments etc) in Nigeria.

Our business plan gives a holistic feasibility report of the production and technical plan, market analysis, marketing plan, personnel and labour management and most importantly, the financial plan which is standard and BANKABLE!!!

Contact our Agribusiness Investment Analyst on +2347039664655 for more information

WhatsApp: +2347039664655

Visit our Facebook page at Pillars of Wealth Consulting Limited for more agribusiness investment opportunities

Email: pillarsofwealthconsulting@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 3:54am On Feb 25, 2018
robonski15:

Hello sir , sorry about the mortality. What is the name of the feed u were using?
it's coppens 1.5mm,just make sure you watch what to give to your fish

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by piagbara: 9:07pm On Feb 25, 2018
Hello house I have post fries available at Ipaja Lagos, call or watsapp me on 09037131248 for details
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by duullie88(m): 7:03am On Feb 26, 2018
Lucie22:

Ayobo. They are upto 1kg each, I stocked 1300 pieces

How much did u spend on feeding
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by duullie88(m): 7:08am On Feb 26, 2018
Good morning house hope err 1 is good, I will like to say a big thank you to all the gurus in the house and moat importantly d creator of the thread because dis thread gave me the determination to start this businews. . I sold all my fishes on Saturday I was really amazed by my result despite the 350 mortality I recorded,Looking forward to restocking. ..
Thanks to err 1 once again
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Akamo(m): 12:03pm On Feb 26, 2018
4tons of 700gram-1.2kg catfish now available for sale, Farm Location is along OGTV road, Abeokuta.
Farm Price is 800naira/kg
whatsapp/call: 08142543013
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Akamo(m): 12:27pm On Feb 26, 2018
bruzjay:
Good day house please am planning on starting a poultry and fish farm and i was wondering if anyone can help me with a business plan

have u gotten started with the biz plan u need? if not, whatsapp details of your farming prospects, we can get to work.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 26, 2018
robonski15:

Hello Robonski, please sir could you kindly confirm you're the one I've been talking with over the phone. Thank you

Iyke from Enugu
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 1:54pm On Feb 26, 2018
kingpaddysfarm:

Hello Robonski, please sir could you kindly confirm you're the one I've been talking with over the phone. Thank you

Iyke from Enugu

Yes sir..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hafolabi: 3:06pm On Feb 26, 2018
Dear all,

Quick update on the planned fish farming using existing soakaway.

1. The fish are now 3weeks old (picture attached)
2. Arrangement with my friend that takes care of feeding seems to be working, i hope it stays that way, although, i also added another person to the supervision, and he has good knowledge of fish farming serving as advicer. Note none of them are there permanent they only stroll in to feed at intervals
3. We received 670 fingerlings and so far we have only recorded 1No mortality (we suspect overfeeding and late replacement of water)
4. I was advice by the experience supervising friend that, we should keep to a particular source of feeding, as the taste differ from product to product, hence he suggested the recently procured 2mm acqualis 5kg should not be administered (it makes some basic sense so i agreed)
5. Your point about pumping out water came through, not economical in anyway, lessons learnt DO NOT HAVE YOUR FISH IN SOAKAWAY, fuel is almost a kill, especially with scarcity
6. I will keep the house posted on development

[b]New Plans.

7. Please advice seroiusly
8. I intend to now build up a pond that we would drain manually inside the same property area
9. Proposed to stock with 4,000 fingerlings
10. Same arrangement of supervision
11. Propose to now engage my friend (same as above) to continue the supervision (we have discussed mutually, although compensation not yet established)
12. We will still keep the experienced supervisor on advisory and quick trouble shooting
13. Is it a good timing? economically what's your opinion, or would you suggest we finalize on the pilot scheme
14. I am most worried about theft, because nobody stays there permanent to keep an eye, with this volume, how best can i approach it

At all my Oga's please advice sir.

robonski15:

1. You can start with clarias, you can start with 600.. (What size are u buying?)

2. In my opinion i don,t recommend using suck away pond for fish farming, more so using surface pump is kinda hectic, buying fuel every three days to pump out water.. With 8 feet deep sorting will be strenuous. Its a pilot project lets see how management plays out.

3. you are good to go.

4. I have never met anyone who did this and succeeded to be honest with you. .. Is the individual well trained on fish farming? or just a random guy to throw feed to the pond.

5. Ride on

6. Good to go.

7. dont over feed, sorting is important, change water when due, with the depth of the pond you should be very observant.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 12:33pm On Feb 27, 2018
Hafolabi:
Dear all,

Quick update on the planned fish farming using existing soakaway.

1. The fish are now 3weeks old (picture attached)
2. Arrangement with my friend that takes care of feeding seems to be working, i hope it stays that way, although, i also added another person to the supervision, and he has good knowledge of fish farming serving as advicer. Note none of them are there permanent they only stroll in to feed at intervals
3. We received 670 fingerlings and so far we have only recorded 1No mortality (we suspect overfeeding and late replacement of water)
4. I was advice by the experience supervising friend that, we should keep to a particular source of feeding, as the taste differ from product to product, hence he suggested the recently procured 2mm acqualis 5kg should not be administered (it makes some basic sense so i agreed)
5. Your point about pumping out water came through, not economical in anyway, lessons learnt DO NOT HAVE YOUR FISH IN SOAKAWAY, fuel is almost a kill, especially with scarcity
6. I will keep the house posted on development

[b]New Plans.

7. Please advice seroiusly
8. I intend to now build up a pond that we would drain manually inside the same property area
9. Proposed to stock with 4,000 fingerlings
10. Same arrangement of supervision
11. Propose to now engage my friend (same as above) to continue the supervision (we have discussed mutually, although compensation not yet established)
12. We will still keep the experienced supervisor on advisory and quick trouble shooting
13. Is it a good timing? economically what's your opinion, or would you suggest we finalize on the pilot scheme
14. I am most worried about theft, because nobody stays there permanent to keep an eye, with this volume, how best can i approach it

At all my Oga's please advice sir.

Experience is indeed the best teacher.. You can sell at Melange size if you would as u begin your next project.. With that quantity in mind of 4k fishes you will need extra help to manage and mentain the farm cos of sorting changing of water and feed formulation at some point...

About theft you can build a makeshift security post for someone to secure the farm, you are better safe than sorry..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Lucie22(f): 7:03pm On Feb 27, 2018
[quote author=duullie88 post=65375274]

How much did u spend on feeding[/quoted

80k plus
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Lucie22(f): 7:08pm On Feb 27, 2018
What's your location sir and how much do you sell

123stanli:
Gutted Dried fish for sale.. Sand free, very low moisture content hence longer shelf life. place ur order: 07032107083
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sexy5050: 8:23pm On Feb 27, 2018
I have been a quite observer of this trend for some time,i was waiting for the right time to start my own fish pond,I have graduated from school,so I think this is the right time to start up, I have rented a pond,I intend stocking the pond with 1000 post fingerlings on Friday,it is a concrete pond,I have replasted it today,pls guide me on the necessary thing to do in other to get my pond ready for stocking and pls what is the name of the best species to buy,how do I dectate the ones that are stunts
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Asfcomedyunit(m): 12:15am On Feb 28, 2018
Hello Boss Rabonski... Please sir, my fingerlings more than 100,000 are dying. I went to my farm 4 days ago, the water was foamy and a bit thick. This is the second batch that this same issue is happening to. I have tried all drugs that I know, I even used bitter leaf and kept change changing the water but the problem remains. What do I do?

Please I have tried your number on the platform it is not going through. Please somebody help... Please.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Asfcomedyunit(m): 12:21am On Feb 28, 2018
[quote author=robonski15 post=42741195][/quote]

I want to learn how to culture Daphnia

Here is my email: ndoghene@gmail.com for further discussion boss
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abimbola74(m): 12:23am On Feb 28, 2018
[quote author=Lucie22 post=65422286][/quote]
please is the 80k for feeding the 1300
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Asfcomedyunit(m): 12:59am On Feb 28, 2018
abimbola74:

please is the 80k for feeding the 1300

Thats small
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Afnahfarms(m): 9:55am On Feb 28, 2018
Asfcomedyunit:
Hello Boss Rabonski... Please sir, my fingerlings more than 100,000 are dying. I went to my farm 4 days ago, the water was foamy and a bit thick. This is the second batch that this same issue is happening to. I have tried all drugs that I know, I even used bitter leaf and kept change changing the water but the problem remains. What do I do?

Please I have tried your number on the platform it is not going through. Please somebody help... Please.

Foaming it's a sign of a very low oxygen in your water, I guess they are crowded.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 12:54pm On Feb 28, 2018
Asfcomedyunit:

Overcrowding might be the problem.. Foamy water is caused by depleted oxygen. I will advice you spread out the Fingerlings into more ponds and u can treat with common salt.. Also u can get fish cure or malachite green.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 12:55pm On Feb 28, 2018
Afnahfarms:

Foaming it's a sign of a very low oxygen in your water, I guess they are crowded.

Correct sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) (435) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.