Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,544 members, 7,819,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' (4145 Views)

Don't Know What To Do / See Why I Don't Make Friends With NL Girls (whatsapp Scrnshot) / I Don't Know Who Got Me Pregnant: My Husband Or My Boyfriend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Yeske: 7:51pm On Mar 29, 2013
Holla. I can't pronounce the letter 'r' correctly and it is embarrassing. What can I do that will make me pronounce it well? I'm tired of pronouncing rice as wice.

I know this is in the wrong section, I don't know where to post it and I want a lot of ideas on the topic. Thanks.
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by ZACHIE: 8:04pm On Mar 29, 2013
Take that load, go light, turn reft and purchase a lecorder.
Shout RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR into it eveliday.
Thats it

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Nobody: 8:06pm On Mar 29, 2013
So u're among doz that say 'Womance' instead of 'Romance'?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Nobody: 8:08pm On Mar 29, 2013
ZACHIE: Take that load, go light, turn reft and purchase a lecorder.
Shout RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR into it eveliday.
Thats it

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Blother, u are wicked. Pls wespect ursef!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Yeske: 8:16pm On Mar 29, 2013
Damn, see yabbings o. It's not fair sha.
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by MrCork17: 8:22pm On Mar 29, 2013
Yeske: Holla. I can't pronounce the letter 'r' correctly and it is embarrassing. What can I do that will make me pronounce it well? I'm tired of pronouncing rice as wice.

I know this is in the wrong section, I don't know where to post it and I want a lot of ideas on the topic. Thanks.

....lick trebor! angry
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by ayokenny37(m): 8:25pm On Mar 29, 2013
Don't mind all those yeye posts

It will fade away as time goes by

If ur dad mum n bf dnt complaint, then its a no issue

Yeske: Holla. I can't pronounce the letter 'r' correctly and it is embarrassing. What can I do that will make me pronounce it well? I'm tired of pronouncing rice as wice.

Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 29, 2013
E yah, sowie.
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by madamebebe(f): 8:45pm On Mar 29, 2013
Aawww op you have rhotacism. Googoo dee meaneen.. Lol @ saying wice hahah .. Don't let it weigh you down. kiss
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Saecula: 9:34pm On Mar 29, 2013
madame_bebe: Aawww op you have rhotacism. Googoo dee meaneen.. Lol @ saying wice hahah .. Don't let it weigh you down. kiss
No it's lambdacism
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Saecula: 9:39pm On Mar 29, 2013

Guy thats lambdacism. I'm not trying to sound optimistic here but its no big deal. It happens to some people like Anambrarians. Just like some yorubas can't pronounce the letter H. And the hausas with many pronunciation defects too.
You can google the term lambdacism for further info.
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by nytwolf: 10:06pm On Mar 29, 2013
Sorry about that. Try taking it slow and stress the word you want to pronounce. As for me I mix up my x for sk, like tax and task grin. I just wait and then breathe in before saying d word. It has helped me.
Goodluck
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Yeske: 11:12pm On Mar 29, 2013
Thanks everyone. You have been really helpful. I learnt new words today. I actually suffer from rhotacism (Inability to pronounce the letter R) and not lambdacism (Pronunciation of other sounds, typically r, as l).

I saw an article that will be helpful too, here:

www.speech-language-pathology-audiology.advanceweb.com/Editorial/Content/Editorial.aspx?CC=47240

nytwolf: Sorry about that. Try taking it slow and stress the word you want to pronounce. As for me I mix up my x for sk, like tax and task grin. I just wait and then breathe in before saying d word. It has helped me.
Goodluck

Do I know you? I have a friend that mixes up x for sk too.
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by pleep(m): 2:36am On Mar 30, 2013
Carefully pronounce the word "air" until you get it.

Or you can pronounce it like "aye-urh" with the last sound comming from the back of your throat to get the hard-r that is used in languages like French or Arabic
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by dhrey: 5:18am On Mar 30, 2013
U dont av 2 stress urself,at least dey can understand u.sowie
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Mynd44: 6:12am On Mar 30, 2013
You need to see a speech therapist
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by nytwolf: 8:49am On Mar 30, 2013
Yeske: Thanks everyone. You have been really helpful. I learnt new words today. I actually suffer from rhotacism (Inability to pronounce the letter R) and not lambdacism (Pronunciation of other sounds, typically r, as l).

I saw an article that will be helpful too, here:

www.speech-language-pathology-audiology.advanceweb.com/Editorial/Content/Editorial.aspx?CC=47240

Do I know you? I have a friend that mixes up x for sk too.
I don't know. What's ur friend's name
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Nobody: 9:04am On Mar 30, 2013
can this thing be corrected. Abeg just enjoy your life
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Bigdigpussylova(m): 9:34am On Mar 30, 2013
In medicine, rhotacism is the inability or difficulty in pronouncing the sound r. In English, the most common occurrence of this type is a pronunciation perceived as closer to [w]. The Looney Tunes character Elmer Fudd is notorious for his exaggerated rhotacistic speech, as in, "Be vewwy quiet: I'm hunting wabbits." The cartoon character Homestar Runner talks in much the same way. Another example is the depiction of Pontius Pilate in Monty Python's Life of Brian. In the Only Fools and Horses episode Stage Fright, a singer's rhotacism is a central plot device.

first of all, dont give up. you sound highly motivated to really work at this difficult sound. also, dont be hard on yourself in not being able to master the /r/ sound while young. it is the most challenging sound to successfully correct, and there is a rather large percentage of people who are never able to fully correct their production of /r/.

the main thing holding you back is being able to successfully navigate the parts of your mouth for placement of a correct /r/. i would recommend standing in front of the bathroom mirror everyday and doing tongue exercises that focus on raising the sides of your mid to back tongue and touching them to the inner sides of your upper teeth. practice moving your tongue sides back and forth against the sides of your upper teeth. this is where your tongue needs to be when producing the /r/. as for the mid part and front of your tongue, you need to practice making a "cup like" motion with it. these are the two basic placements for the /r/. U shld also do some practicing in retracting your tongue (starting with it on your front top teeth and scraping it back along the top of your mouth. a fun challenge to do to strengthen your tongue retraction is drink pudding (like a snack cup) from a regular straw cut in half. this is difficult to do, but strengthens those retracting tongue muscles and actually mimics the placement your tongue needs in producing the /r/.

a good resource all about this is the book "successful R therapy" by pam marshalla. you can buy this book from the website "superduperinc.com" it goes step by step what to try and do, and describes the tongue position in detail. once you acheive that tongue position, its just a matter of practicing words, phrases, and sentences with that good /r/.

Goodluck and don't let ppl discourage u.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Yeske: 5:36pm On Mar 30, 2013
@pleep, thank you. I'm doing that sharp sharp.

@nytwolf, he's a mechanical engineer and finished from FUTA.

@Bigdigpussylova (what a name!), your post is really helpful. I will do everything in it. Thank you so much. 1000+ likes.
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:45pm On Mar 30, 2013
Saecula:
Guy thats lambdacism. I'm not trying to sound optimistic here but its no big deal. It happens to some people like Anambrarians. Just like some yorubas can't pronounce the letter H. And the hausas with many pronunciation defects too.
You can google the term lambdacism for further info.
who said yorubas can't pronounce 'H'? The 'H' is mostly silent.
Yet we av 'ahon' which is tongue or 'nkan han' which is things are expensive!
In both cases, d 'h' is even audible.
Stop d heresy. ok?
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Serendipity: 7:59pm On Mar 30, 2013
SLIDE waxie: who said yorubas can't pronounce 'H'? The 'H' is mostly silent.
Yet we av 'ahon' which is tongue or 'nkan han' which is things are expensive!
In both cases, d 'h' is even audible.
Stop d heresy. ok?
Is H silent in 'house' and 'help' which most of them pronounce as ''ouse' and 'elp' ?
Its no big deal abegi.
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by IZUKWU(m): 8:09pm On Mar 30, 2013
I battled seriously with these especially during my secondary school and university days and my friends , classmates and roommates made me,an object of jest. I have to learn where to place my tongue inside my mouth depending on if i want to pronounce rice or lice. These days people rarely notice it. So i guess it can be worked upon.
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:07pm On Mar 30, 2013
Serendipity:
Is H silent in 'house' and 'help' which most of them pronounce as ''ouse' and 'elp' ?
Its no big deal abegi.
am allegic to bullshit!!
Re: Help!!! I Don't Know How To Pronounce Letter 'R' by Yeske: 1:12am On Mar 31, 2013
SLIDE waxie: am allegic to bullshit!!

Lol, what happened to your old ID?

(1) (Reply)

Guy Asked For Nude Photos Of A Girl - And She Gave Him This / Nigerians Reacted To Video Of Married Who Walk On Street With Bum Shot / Can You Date Someone Who Is Fat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.